Allen Sports Village

Tnexster

Allen Sports Village

Postby Tnexster » 14 Dec 2018 11:55

Developer plans 15,000-seat cricket stadium in big Allen development

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... evelopment

A McKinney developer is moving ahead with plans for a large mixed-use development in Allen that would include a 15,000-seat cricket stadium.

The plan involves some of the same people who last year said they planned to build eight cricket stadiums across the country, including in Dallas.

A news conference is set for Tuesday afternoon at the Allen Event Center to discuss the planned Allen Sports Village. Thakkar Developers and Global Sports Ventures of Philadelphia "are collaborating to build a cricket stadium to be located within a unique mixed-use development in Allen, Texas," according to an email announcing next week's news conference.

Poorvesh Thakkar of Thakkar Developers said he was certain the development would happen.

Kelley USA

Re: Allen Sports Village

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Dec 2018 12:13

I really thought Irving had a good chance to attract this development. The old Texas Stadium site would have been a pretty good spot too! Good for Allen though.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Dec 2018 15:03

Planned Allen cricket stadium could be first of many

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... first-many

The initial phase of the project involves a 35-acre tract that will house an International Cricket Council certified cricket ground, training facilities and clubhouse. That phase is estimated to cost about $125 million.

A 25-acre parcel is slated to include offices, residences, hotels and commercial, entertainment centers.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Jan 2019 14:54

It's sad to me that anyone in Allen would see this rendering and believe that their 15,000-seat stadium will have underground parking. If I lived anywhere near there, I would demand that they correct the rendering to show the 15,000 parking spaces no doubt required.

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Jan 2019 11:33

lakewoodhobo wrote:It's sad to me that anyone in Allen would see this rendering and believe that their 15,000-seat stadium will have underground parking. If I lived anywhere near there, I would demand that they correct the rendering to show the 15,000 parking spaces no doubt required.

There was a bit on the local news last night that highlighted the fact that there may be significant opposition this this developement. I still say it belongs in Irving.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Feb 2019 02:14

I drove for Uber recently and drove a mom of three who works in University Park but moved to Allen only 2 months ago. She was telling me about this project without me provoking her on the subject. Apparently, everyone is concerned about the noise from a stadium and the traffic. She said they moved out of Dallas to get away from so many people... It was her understanding that everyone she talked to hated the idea of the project.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Feb 2019 07:14

^It really should go over by Bachman Lake DART station.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Mar 2019 10:28

Plans for Allen's $500 million cricket stadium complex hit a bump

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... x-hit-bump

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Mar 2019 10:49

Hasn't the time of exurban exploitation to build a new brand run it's course? At a glance, the mixed-use complex looks great except creating a viable cricket league requires a location in the middle of town (...town being North Texas) not on the leading edge of (remarkably consistent) growth. Same deal with FC Dallas.... Frisco is a wonderful home for the futbol, but the next couple generations belong in the city, filling up massive stadiums like the team in Atlanta does.