Arlington Development and Transportation Projects

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Re: Arlington Development and Transportation Projects

Postby CTroyMathis » 25 Jul 2022 12:56

UT Richardson. That's it, I'm going home for the day, haha.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 25 Jul 2022 13:11

The_Overdog wrote:I'd also go out on a limb and suggest that UT Richardson will surpass UT Arlington to be the #2 public college in DFW in the next decade in notoriety if not quite student population, both behind UNT.

I guess step 1 would be to come into existence? As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as UT Richardson...

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Jul 2022 14:14

I guess step 1 would be to come into existence? As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as UT Richardson...

UT Dallas in Richardson, to differentiate it from the U of Dallas in Dallas.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 25 Jul 2022 14:59

The_Overdog wrote:

UT Dallas in Richardson, to differentiate it from the U of Dallas in Dallas.

Did you mean to differentiate it from the University of Dallas in Irving?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 25 Jul 2022 16:11

I'm hoping Six Flags takes part in all the upgrades finally settling in Arlington. The theme park needs to expand into something much more than it is today. North Texas is turning into a world city, and the Arlington - Grand Prairie corridor will become have more stuff for visitors to do. That old military base lake (city of Dallas) really needs to become an entertainment destination....

haha.... funny if UT-Dallas expands with another campus in Richardson, UTD-Richardson. maybe only funny to some forumers

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 25 Jul 2022 16:27

tamtagon wrote:I'm hoping Six Flags takes part in all the upgrades finally settling in Arlington. The theme park needs to expand into something much more than it is today. North Texas is turning into a world city, and the Arlington - Grand Prairie corridor will become have more stuff for visitors to do. That old military base lake (city of Dallas) really needs to become an entertainment destination....

Well SFOT did recently redo that one Yosemite Sam water ride, turning it into the Pirates of Speelunker Cave. It's a surprising move for SF to not only acknowledge their history in a meaningful way but to also make a huge investment in it.
Reimagining and rebuilding a long defunct ride is not something I would have ever expected the park to do at any point in the past several decades during it's sad slide from theme park into amusement park, so I'm hoping it's a sign of the company changing course and realizing it can be so much more than an asphalt coaster park.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 26 Jul 2022 14:23

^ Amen.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Oct 2022 10:40

'We're awake': Arlington, no longer a bedroom community, is aiming to create its own skyline

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... 3#cxrecs_s

“We have plans to build well over 2 million square feet of class A office space,” he said.

Earlier this year, the Cordish Companies and the Texas Rangers announced One Rangers Way, an upscale, 300-unit residential community in the heart of the Entertainment District. Located at Nolan Ryan Expressway adjacent to Choctaw Stadium and the National Medal of Honor Museum, the forthcoming project is expected to total about 532,000 square feet.

Last year, Loews Hotels & Co. broke ground on the $550 million Loews Arlington Hotel and new Arlington Convention Center. The hotel will total 888 rooms on build-out. In an interview with the Business Journal late last year, Bruce Payne, Arlington economic development director, said the city is working to attract office and multifamily development in the area.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 05 Oct 2022 11:13

Arlington should build some garages and use the spare land to build a neighborhood in their entertainment district. But one city-funded big hotel (copying Dallas) is not going to cut it.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Oct 2022 11:57

My question is can they put more parking in parking in garages? It's no secret that many team owners prefer large parking lots for not only tailgating but their customers usually hate having to stack into garages. Does Jerry Jones want development on his stadium parking lots? He proposed infill stuff in the past but abandoned it long ago and focused on his HQ in Frisco instead. Joe Blow doesn't want to park their F150 or Chevy Suburban in tiny compact garages. Mark Cuban makes big comments about hating the garage parking at the AA center in Dallas, which may be more of a technique to convince the city to pay for his next arena, but I digress. The Rangers seem fine with some structured parking, so they have been a decent partner with the city, but I wonder how far the Cowboys or even the Rangers will allow infill development on parking lots. Lord knows I would hate to work in an office that gets caught in game traffic several times a year if I worked across the street from these stadiums. Then again, I don't go to games in Arlington, so I am not the target market for anything over there.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 05 Oct 2022 12:16

Love that bit about downtown Arlington, I hadn't heard they got a grocery store. It's really become a nice space, growing into its college town vibe. The entertainment district is whatever lol. Are there plans to extend the Texas Live! space across the water and into the parking lot that sits across the street from cowboy's stadium? That could be neat.

A random aside, but I wish they could use that Union Pacific line for passenger rail. It goes straight through the heart of their downtown.

Addison

Postby Addison » 29 Nov 2022 10:23

I went to The Parks Mall 2 weekends ago.

Kind of an underrated mall IMO. I'd say it's solidly the 4th best mall in the Metroplex (behind NorthPark, Galleria and Stonebriar).

Surprisingly, when combined with the options in Grand Prairie, that side of town has a lot more retail and restaurant options than I had expected.

Addison

Postby Addison » 15 Dec 2022 14:35

A construction RFP went out today for a Jollibee in Arlington. It would be the 3rd DFW location besides Plano, as another location is also in the works for Dallas proper in Lower Greenville (old Jack in the Box).

EDIT: The location would be 1700 Pleasant Ridge (old Grandy's).

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Jul 2023 09:07

Luxury apartments are coming to Arlington’s sports and entertainment mecca
The Texas Rangers and developer Cordish Cos. are building the 299-unit apartment project near Choctaw Stadium.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ent-mecca/

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 29 Aug 2023 10:26

Tnexster wrote:'We're awake': Arlington, no longer a bedroom community, is aiming to create its own skyline

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... 3#cxrecs_s

“We have plans to build well over 2 million square feet of class A office space,” he said.

Earlier this year, the Cordish Companies and the Texas Rangers announced One Rangers Way, an upscale, 300-unit residential community in the heart of the Entertainment District. Located at Nolan Ryan Expressway adjacent to Choctaw Stadium and the National Medal of Honor Museum, the forthcoming project is expected to total about 532,000 square feet.

Last year, Loews Hotels & Co. broke ground on the $550 million Loews Arlington Hotel and new Arlington Convention Center. The hotel will total 888 rooms on build-out. In an interview with the Business Journal late last year, Bruce Payne, Arlington economic development director, said the city is working to attract office and multifamily development in the area.

https://www.arlington.org/meetings-conv ... on-center/

Pictures of that convention center district, although I imagine the 2MM square feet of office space is already on the backburner.

Amid the debt problems in the commercial office market nationwide now, I would be surprised if investors would build in Arlington when they can scoop up existing buildings in established business districts elsewhere at steep discounts on replacement cost.

FYI the Loews Arlington will connect across the street to the Live! by Loews to form one contiguous 1200-room taxpayer-subsidized venue for convention space booking purposes.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2023 14:16

Arlington eyes $410 million hotel project
New Loews hotel would replace Sheraton Arlington.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... l-project/

Arlington’s city council is set to vote on a plan to give the city a new major hotel and meeting space.

The city wants to form a public-private partnership with Loews Hotels and Co. to build a 500-room hotel with a minimum of 25,000 square feet of convention center space.

The new hotel near Interstate 30 would replace the 311-room Sheraton Arlington Hotel which Loews acquired this summer. Built in 1984, the 19-story hotel has about 26,000 square feet of meeting space and was last renovated in 2009.

Under the proposal with the city, the hotel would be demolished to free up 14 acres for the new project.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 12 Dec 2023 14:51

Hopefully the pagoda that was repurposed from the Seven Seas Marine Life Park manages to survive this redo

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 12 Dec 2023 15:58

Seems wasteful to tear down a 19 story hotel in an area so filled with enormous surface parking lots and low density. Unless there are structural problems or something.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 12 Dec 2023 17:50

I'm not sure what other branding could be used for this project. The upcoming 800-room property west of the previous Ballpark (now Choctaw Stadium) is a Loews, while the smaller hotel next to Globe Life Field is a Live! by Loews. Looking through their list, there is a "Loews Regency" in NYC, but nothing else besides what is already represented in Arlington.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Dec 2023 19:06

How many Loews hotels can you pack into one area? lol

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Dec 2023 05:15

R1070 wrote:How many Loews hotels can you pack into one area? lol

IDK, that's what I was thinking when I posted earlier! After 3+ decades of no Loews attention here, they sure are making up for lost time.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 14 Dec 2023 09:25

Seems wasteful to tear down a 19 story hotel in an area so filled with enormous surface parking lots and low density. Unless there are structural problems or something.

That's really kind of you to say 'wasteful'. I'd go so far as 'stupid'. Arlington, wah wah.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 14 Dec 2023 09:53

Even the lot this hotel is already on isn't exactly hurting for space. Could easily accommodate another structure on it without taking 311 rooms offline in the lead-up to 2026 when they'll probably want to have as many rooms available as possible.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Dec 2023 09:56

Well, its done...

Arlington OKs $410 million hotel project
A new Loews hotel will replace the Sheraton Arlington.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... l-project/

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 14 Dec 2023 19:14

I was reading that, but, got instantly distracted by those interesting articles on ze screen about converting 4 Stemmons Towers from the '60s-ish to residential and a 1960-something Garland mid-rise into residential also. Squirrel!

Triggerman

Postby Triggerman » 18 Jan 2024 19:25

According to Uniqlo filing with TDLR, a store will open at The Parks Mall @ suite 2070. It's a 12,500 sf store vs Houston's upcoming store at 21,000sf

R1070

Postby R1070 » 18 Jan 2024 20:50

Triggerman wrote:According to Uniqlo filing with TDLR, a store will open at The Parks Mall @ suite 2070. It's a 12,500 sf store vs Houston's upcoming store at 21,000sf

The rumored Galleria Dallas store is to be 22,000 sf.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 05 Mar 2024 12:53

"Plans to overhaul Arlington's outdated Lincoln Square shopping center head to city council"
Fort Worth-based Trademark Property Company’s vision for the 40-year-old shopping center is a walkable, mixed-use community that holds apartment units, new retail and shopping and a hotel with up to 200 beds.

- KERA
https://www.keranews.org/government/2024-03-04/plans-to-overhaul-arlingtons-outdated-lincoln-square-shopping-center-head-to-city-council

Presentation for the Arlington city council with plan renderings can be found here:
https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/2474464/Anthem_CityCouncilWorkSession_Presentation_March2024.pdf

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 07 Mar 2024 09:08

Good start. They should continue to build basically the same mixed use stuff all the way back east to AT&T Way. Some of the housing and office is already there, just need to fill in the 'liminal' space and improve the links between the different uses.