Arlington Development and Transportation Projects

exelone31

Re: Arlington Development and Transportation Projects

Postby exelone31 » 18 Dec 2019 11:16

That retrofitting of the old baseball stadium looks weird. Plus, it seems they would be taking out a fair amount of seats, not that the XFL and USL-1 (go North Texas SC!) are going to be selling the place out anyway.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 18 Dec 2019 11:30

This is sick, big fan of what they've done with this development, if they get some good retail to go across texas live, that area could be pretty cool walking into the new ballpark.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Dec 2019 11:37

It's weird cause it's kinda hard to preserve a stadium with the "historic" exterior and field without making some odd changes. It was built to be a baseball stadium, not a mixed-use mid-rise development. Now if they were getting rid of the open field and seats maybe it could be incorporated better. I could have easily seen them filling in the field area with more towers with an open courtyard with maybe a music venue but here they are trying to maintain somewhat a large open field for a sport the stadium was not built for.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 Dec 2019 11:37

I'm really glad that they are expanding beyond the game day uses. That's a great and all, but they seriously need a transportation plan. Getting to, through, and around Arlington by automobile is absolutely dreadful. They need some alternatives desperately.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Dec 2019 11:48

muncien wrote:I'm really glad that they are expanding beyond the game day uses. That's a great and all, but they seriously need a transportation plan. Getting to, through, and around Arlington by automobile is absolutely dreadful. They need some alternatives desperately.

They claim that van on-call service is all they need and all they will support. I say we start tearing down more homes and businesses to make the roads wider!!! The only thing the government has formerly shown support for is the High-Speed Rail connection from Downtown Dallas to Fort Worth being led by Michael Morris from NTCOG. Which is not transit for DFW traffic let alone Arlington traffic so its a moot point.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Dec 2019 15:01

DBJ version with some better renders.....

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... g/465117/1

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 18 Dec 2019 17:26

Very creative design, I wonder why they left the field open.
Now all they need is to put together a competitive team!!

Speaking of Arlington teams that are underperforming,
Why didnt the cowboys do something like this? It's basically an island out there.

But they seriously need to get a train in there. JEez. that traffic is ridiculous.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 19 Dec 2019 11:05

Jerry Jones built his version as part of his HQ in Frisco. AT&T Stadium is just the place to play a few games. Jerry doesn't like Arlington like he loves Frisco.

I like how the new hotel looks like a modern version of the Statler.

Statler-Hilton-old-ext-1024x836.jpeg
8vlzpkdw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 10 Feb 2020 17:10

A Guns N Roses reunion tour will play the new baseball stadium Globe Life Park. In 2016, the GNR reunion tour played in AT&T Stadium. How crazy is is that the fancy stadium 1 block away is now too dated and losing competitions for big events?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Feb 2020 10:26

^I wouldn't say either of those things honestly. I seriously doubt that Jerry Jones lost a potential concert to his neighbors or that he is crying about it. In some form they work together and who knows what the incentive was for opening up a new venue even if they aren't the ribbon-cutting concert. The first year at a new stadium has lots of potential for money-making just because so many people want to see the new venue.

The good thing is at least we are finally getting some form of the never seen Glorypark with Texas Live and I wonder if Jerry might want to build out something that isn't a copy by no means but at least has some potential to capture more crowd around his stadium. They are both just so disconnected from each other and some sort of stuff to connect the dots would be nice.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 12 Feb 2020 11:21

Two things:
1) I wouldn't say that GNR playing at Globe Life Park indicates AT&T lost the show. I think this is just a spreading of some of the bigger concerts across the Metroplex. I think it is reasonable to say that we've now got three pretty substantial stadium venues in play for these types of shows: AT&T, Globe Life Park and the Cotton Bowl.
If AT&T "lost" anything, I'd say it was the Rolling Stones show that went to the Cotton Bowl (which I love).

2) The title of this thread has "Arlington" and "Transportation Projects" mentioned together. Isn't that an oxymoron? :D

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Feb 2020 12:10

Rock shows should be outdoors. Glad to see it go to cotton Bowl.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Jun 2020 12:07

Amid layoffs, plans for convention hotel near Texas Live! move ahead

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... s_headline

“Loews Hotels & Co. is continuing to move forward with the development of the new garage and continues to draw plans for the Loews Arlington Hotel and new Arlington Convention Center," said Alex Tisch, chief communications and development officer for Loews Hotels & Co., in a statement to the Dallas Business Journal. "We expect completion of the garage by the end of the year, at which point we will be permitted to commence work on the hotel and convention center.”

Delivery of the convention hotel is expected in 2023. While this portion of phase two appears to be on schedule, it is not clear if the remainder of the project will be delayed. Phase two at Texas Live! also includes a 200,000-square-foot office development within the Texas Rangers former stadium, Globe Life Park; 100,000 square feet of new restaurant and retail space; 280 apartments near the new Globe Life Field; space within that apartment complex for a coworking/small business incubator concept called Spark; and nearly 2,000 additional parking spaces.

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 08 Jun 2021 22:48

Drove by this area and seen them block off the main parking lot with cones and fences right across from globe life. Construction could start soon.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Oct 2021 10:44

Loews Hotels breaks ground on a massive $550 million room hotel in Arlington
The new property will include 888 rooms in the heart of the city’s sports and entertainment district.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... arlington/

Addison

Postby Addison » 12 Oct 2021 10:57

Tnexster wrote:Loews Hotels breaks ground on a massive $550 million room hotel in Arlington
The new property will include 888 rooms in the heart of the city’s sports and entertainment district.

It's nice to see these mega-hotel projects are moving forward again post-COVID.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Oct 2021 11:21

Noticed all the cranes last week when I was up there. Think they have four.

Addison

Postby Addison » 12 Oct 2021 12:25

Addison wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Loews Hotels breaks ground on a massive $550 million room hotel in Arlington

It's nice to see these mega-hotel projects are moving forward again post-COVID.

Hmmm, I'm not sure who edited my post to add this rendering (I didn't), but it looks nice.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Oct 2021 14:36

It's about time!

I would expect to see a few thousand more hotel rooms in the vicinity before 2030. Hopefully Six Flags will expand and upgrade the amusement park.

Next initiative, of course, is a second TRE route from TCU, Cultural District & Dickies arena Fort Worth Medical district, downtown, UTA, Arlington stadiums & Six Flags, Grand prairie, west Dallas, victory park, union station, HSR/convention center/Fair Park....

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Oct 2021 16:11

Still lots of surface parking lots (opportunity) around this general area. Nice little cluster of buildings but all surrounded by parking lots.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 13 Oct 2021 15:49

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 9761&row=1

At 260' in height the Loews will be less than the SkyScreamer, the Superman roller coaster, or Cowboys' stadium, but greater than Titan or Mr. Freeze :)

https://www.emporis.com/city/102102/arl ... -buildings
The Six Flags Oil Derrick will still be the best observation deck (260' and 270' decks) for the time being.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 14 Oct 2021 08:46

Arlington really should have had this before the Super Bowl, but oh well.

Here's the Fort Worth mag version:

https://fortworthinc.com/real-estate/co ... hotel-and/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Oct 2021 11:00

Arlington's Entertainment District is ripe for office and multifamily development

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... 2#cxrecs_s

In addition to office, multifamily development is also needed in the Entertainment District. Payne said multifamily development in the area is going to be multistory and denser than what’s typically seen in suburban markets. The city has an educated young workforce, he said, and if they don’t have this type of product available to them they’ll move somewhere else.

As the Entertainment District expands, it’ll push north to Interstate 30, he said, and on the west side it’ll go to Collins Street. On the east side, it’ll bump up against the Great Southwest industrial area along Stadium Drive and to the south, it’ll expand to Division Street, he said.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 May 2022 10:01

New ‘urban lifestyle’ apartments on the way in Arlington’s entertainment district
Rental units and retail would be part of the Texas Live mixed-use project.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -district/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 May 2022 10:13

Haven't been real close to this location in a while but have seen all the cranes from a distance. Arlington working to fill up those spaces, like this building. Believe it overlooks a lake if not mistaken.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 13 May 2022 11:25

An "Urban Lifestyle" where urban lifestyle means still having to own a car and having no access to mass transit :lol:

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 May 2022 16:32

But Steve Brown can't even spell the hotel Loews right... yes, it got spelled like the home improvement store. The Anatole was a Loews originally, but this must have escaped him somehow :|

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 May 2022 13:06

It's hilarious that there's a thread called "Arlington Development and TRANSPORTATION projects"

They literally have no transit. What the hell is considered a transportation project in Arlington? Anything with a parking lot?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 15 May 2022 05:26

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:It's hilarious that there's a thread called "Arlington Development and TRANSPORTATION projects"

They literally have no transit. What the hell is considered a transportation project in Arlington? Anything with a parking lot?

It probably should have just started as developments, while anything remotely transportation (which with Arlington's history, should be mainly road projects) should have gone in the transportation section(s) below.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 May 2022 21:07

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:It's hilarious that there's a thread called "Arlington Development and TRANSPORTATION projects"

An autonomous transit bus and some vehicles, four to be exact. But that is all.

https://www.arlingtontx.gov/city_hall/d ... ives/rapid

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 May 2022 18:30

Well, let's talk about how they are cheerleading apartments right in the middle of a major stadium event site. Every single person that lives near the AA Center in Dallas complains about how many events get in the way of them getting home, leaving for nighttime outings, grocery shopping access, daily chore access, food, and package delivery, and guests' access to parking, etc. At least with the AA Center in the next few years the Mavericks will leave and the neighborhood will see some level of a reduction of events and could see the Stars leave too if the right deal is made. Yes it's nice that at least Dallas has DART near the arena. This building will lease but the rotation of residents will be constant like the daily traffic snarls that make Arlington such a chore to live in.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 17 May 2022 19:23

The building will fill with airbnb, vrbo, and corporate housing.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 May 2022 19:41

True more pseudo hotel rooms masquerading as "high quality" residential.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 18 May 2022 09:07

Every single person that lives near the AA Center in Dallas complains about how many events get in the way of them getting home, leaving for nighttime outings, grocery shopping access, daily chore access, food, and package delivery, and guests' access to parking, etc.

LOL. No they don't. I know plenty of people who bought in that area specifically because it's stadium adjacent. Not everybody is a 3 year old who complains when they are minorly inconvenienced. Also people live adjacent to giant football stadiums in Allen, Plano, and McKinney, and next to baseball in Frisco, and literally most other stadiums in the US. Don't make something into a big deal when it's not.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 May 2022 13:28

But it's the forum so that's what we do. And I disagree.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 18 May 2022 23:19

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well, let's talk about how they are cheerleading apartments right in the middle of a major stadium event site. Every single person that lives near the AA Center in Dallas complains about how many events get in the way of them getting home, leaving for nighttime outings, grocery shopping access, daily chore access, food, and package delivery, and guests' access to parking, etc. At least with the AA Center in the next few years the Mavericks will leave and the neighborhood will see some level of a reduction of events and could see the Stars leave too if the right deal is made. Yes it's nice that at least Dallas has DART near the arena. This building will lease but the rotation of residents will be constant like the daily traffic snarls that make Arlington such a chore to live in.

This is not a big deal, coming from someone who lives in the area. The arena was there before I moved in and it's the draw of why many people want to live in the VP area. I don't know why they are complaining about all that goes on, its to be expected that game days and nights are going to be tough to get around. And I also know many people that don't own cars in the VP area, because they walk to work.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Jul 2022 11:21

Construction tops out on $550 million Arlington hotel and convention center
New Loews Hotel and meeting center is the latest addition to Arlington’s entertainment district.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... on-center/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 20 Jul 2022 13:14

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Jul 2022 10:53

I really don't get all the investment being made around this area. Arlington is one of the least desirable cities in all of the DFW IMO.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 21 Jul 2022 11:48

I don't understand it either, but I appreciate it in a sense. Arlington doing (relatively) well maintains the connective tissue between Dallas and Fort Worth. Helps keep the gravitational center more central.
Arlington has so many problems they need to sort out, but it bums me out to imagine the region if its midpoint just deteriorated indefinitely.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jul 2022 11:50

Yet people like my parents will gladly live in a place like Arlington cause they are looking at different things than you and I. I looked at a job at UT Arlington but couldn't bring myself to apply cause I will not move there again and will not sit on the freeway for the next 20-30 yrs of my life stuck in traffic trying to get home and then drive to somewhere else I wanna be for fun. I have a real skyline to look at and walkable streets, comparably speaking for Arlington vs. Dallas. I can literally walk to groceries, coffee, bars, and restaurants and leave my car in a sheltered garage for 95% of my year. I even spend my weeknights at home and I still prefer being closer to stuff when and if I need it. I can't get that in Arlington unless it's in a generic development that tends to look like every other development in DFW, including some that are infill redevelopment in the city of Dallas proper. I am not the target market though here someone else is and I am sure this development will do fine cause the city is willing to fund it.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 21 Jul 2022 11:56

I'm happy to see all this development in Arlington. Of course I would rather see more development in Downtown Dallas and Downtown Fort Worth. However, I do think more people visiting and moving to Arlington is better than people sprawling out to Frisco/McKinney/Prosper..etc. The suburbs have value and people are drawn to them for good reasons. If people are going to sprawl out to the suburbs, I'd much rather keep that sprawl contained to Arlington and Grand Prairie (because of their proximity to Dallas and Fort Worth) rather than sprawling further north.

Also, we can't really prevent this sprawl. Frisco is developing similar things like crazy up north, so it's better to just have places like Arlington try and compete and stay relevant.

I don't know much about the politics in Arlington, I just really wish they would capitalize more on the fact that they have UTA and make it more desirable to live on campus and also potentially lure some companies to locate nearby. From an outsider's perspective, it seems like they are way more focused on being an 'entertainment district' with things like Six Flags and sports stadiums.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jul 2022 12:16

Yeah, City Council is full of people who will not approve of too much "urban" stuff. It sounds weird, but I did a study 5 years ago on the city council and planning commission and yes while elections have happened since then the city staff has to operate very differently than its more bigger city counterparts in Dallas and Fort Worth. The council will gladly throw more money at the sports teams, concerts, etc. Apparently, it's easier to scoot by voters. When you try to fund bike share or too much walkable development, people show up and scream that's stuff for those crazy liberal commies in Dallas. Yes, Arlington has some walkable spots but its been a hard road to get those things moving without someone yelling that the council that they should make the roads faster and wider for moving traffic better. UT Arlington has its own issues internally despite having the premiere architectural and planning college in DFW. The city staff works with UT Arlington students all the time on small projects cause it causes less drama.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 21 Jul 2022 12:27

potatocoins wrote:I'm happy to see all this development in Arlington. Of course I would rather see more development in Downtown Dallas and Downtown Fort Worth. However, I do think more people visiting and moving to Arlington is better than people sprawling out to Frisco/McKinney/Prosper..etc. The suburbs have value and people are drawn to them for good reasons. If people are going to sprawl out to the suburbs, I'd much rather keep that sprawl contained to Arlington and Grand Prairie (because of their proximity to Dallas and Fort Worth) rather than sprawling further north.

Also, we can't really prevent this sprawl. Frisco is developing similar things like crazy up north, so it's better to just have places like Arlington try and compete and stay relevant.

I don't know much about the politics in Arlington, I just really wish they would capitalize more on the fact that they have UTA and make it more desirable to live on campus and also potentially lure some companies to locate nearby. From an outsider's perspective, it seems like they are way more focused on being an 'entertainment district' with things like Six Flags and sports stadiums.

Pretty much sums up my feelings, but I think Frisco becoming the de facto new Arlington is its inevitable fate. Frisco right now feels like Arlington when it was shiny and new. 121 being a direct route into the airport has made Arlington's proximity to DFW a moot selling point, and businesses clearly find being equidistant from FW and Dallas less important than they once did.

All it will take is Jerry getting tired of his stadium and packing up again, and the Frisco transformation will be complete. Which is why I agree with you that Arlington should focus on UTA more. It's the one thing Frisco doesn't have and can't materialize overnight. Quit giving away the farm to sports teams and focus on turning Arlington into an appealing college town and it'll be alright. Hell, give the stadium to the school and let them get a football team going if that's what it takes to get locals more invested in the school more broadly.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 21 Jul 2022 12:51

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Yeah, City Council is full of people who will not approve of too much "urban" stuff. It sounds weird, but I did a study 5 years ago on the city council and planning commission and yes while elections have happened since then the city staff has to operate very differently than its more bigger city counterparts in Dallas and Fort Worth. The council will gladly throw more money at the sports teams, concerts, etc. Apparently, it's easier to scoot by voters. When you try to fund bike share or too much walkable development, people show up and scream that's stuff for those crazy liberal commies in Dallas. Yes, Arlington has some walkable spots but its been a hard road to get those things moving without someone yelling that the council that they should make the roads faster and wider for moving traffic better. UT Arlington has its own issues internally despite having the premiere architectural and planning college in DFW. The city staff works with UT Arlington students all the time on small projects cause it causes less drama.

That's unfortunate to hear! Cities and suburbs change though, so I'm hopeful that this growth will continue and maybe eventually lead to people who have different priorities for the city.

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Pretty much sums up my feelings, but I think Frisco becoming the de facto new Arlington is its inevitable fate. Frisco right now feels like Arlington when it was shiny and new. 121 being a direct route into the airport has made Arlington's proximity to DFW a moot selling point, and businesses clearly find being equidistant from FW and Dallas less important than they once did.

All it will take is Jerry getting tired of his stadium and packing up again, and the Frisco transformation will be complete. Which is why I agree with you that Arlington should focus on UTA more. It's the one thing Frisco doesn't have and can't materialize overnight. Quit giving away the farm to sports teams and focus on turning Arlington into an appealing college town and it'll be alright. Hell, give the stadium to the school and let them get a football team going if that's what it takes to get locals more invested in the school more broadly.

Yeah, I suppose you're right about Frisco. It's in close proximity to the suburbs that are in higher demand at the moment and there is a lot of growth happening there, so it does seem like it's a matter of time.

I don't go to Arlington that often, but I have seen investments being made to make parts of it more walkable. I was in their "Downtown" area a couple years ago and saw a lot of changes happening, which was nice to see. Even if I don't always agree with their decisions, I do like that they seem to be changing and growing. At least it's not a suburb that seems to be declining and becoming less desirable, so they could always pivot down the line and focus more on UTA, walkability, and public transportation.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 21 Jul 2022 13:01

potatocoins wrote:Yeah, I suppose you're right about Frisco. It's in close proximity to the suburbs that are in higher demand at the moment and there is a lot of growth happening there, so it does seem like it's a matter of time.

I don't go to Arlington that often, but I have seen investments being made to make parts of it more walkable. I was in their "Downtown" area a couple years ago and saw a lot of changes happening, which was nice to see. Even if I don't always agree with their decisions, I do like that they seem to be changing and growing. At least it's not a suburb that seems to be declining and becoming less desirable, so they could always pivot down the line and focus more on UTA, walkability, and public transportation.

This has been a nice change across the entire region lately. All these suburbs are recognizing the value of their old main streets and giving them the attention they deserve. Arlington, Richardson, Irving, Carrollton, Grapevine, etc. As the region grows, walkability in these cities will grow outward from there.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jul 2022 13:52

potatocoins wrote:

Yes, they have made some amazing strides downtown and I have seen it when I visited post shut down. Lots of Student Housing that has been brought in has been built in more dense designs rather than Garden style while housing that targets staff and professors near campus has also been a fruitful pursuit. It has been a hard effort though as some downtown owners fought the street narrowing and sidewalk improvements tooth and nail. Most were small office tenants who felt that it would cause more traffic and discourage business. Also, bike share was proposed by the university but just like in Dallas the anti-bikes thing is very apparent but dominates even more sentiment in Arlington compared to Dallas. There is a Bike Friendly Arlington org so it's not all bad though and they show support to the city for bike access.

In general, the sentiment seems to be public funds for urban development projects like housing, sidewalks, bike lanes etc is wasteful but Stadiums, hotels, and bars near the stadiums are good public spending which is a hilarious argument cause the ones making the argument always seem to be anti-government subsidization but see only stadiums as an economic generator of worth while of government intervention.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Jul 2022 11:00

As much as I have criticized Arlington in the past I have to be honest about the progress. I feel like they've got some good momentum going here. With the addition of this hotel the feel around the stadiums is really changing. They do need more residential and office to complete the picture but at least its going in the right direction and I support progress that isn't all up north.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Jul 2022 12:10

Pretty much sums up my feelings, but I think Frisco becoming the de facto new Arlington is its inevitable fate.

Not sure I agree. The understanding of financing isn't comparable. I've said it before, but Plano set up JC Penny at around the same time Arlington set up the Rangers stadium. Now Arlington is trying to figure out what to do with an empty stadium and Plano is trying to figure out where to put more high-profile jobs and where to fit more high-income residents. Frisco is far more like Plano than Arlington, but they are an improved Plano in that they realized that some relatively cheap, low stakes entertainment is needed and not just a 100% land of corporate accounts.

Arlington takes opportunities like Six Flags and stadiums and squanders them. At least now they are trying something a bit different other than a stadium and a parking lot, though isn't this building like heavily city financed? It's the exact same stuff over and over again.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Jul 2022 12:18

I'd also go out on a limb and suggest that UT Richardson will surpass UT Arlington to be the #2 public college in DFW in the next decade in notoriety if not quite student population, both behind UNT.