Richardson: Main Street Improvements

exelone31

Richardson: Main Street Improvements

Postby exelone31 » 19 Apr 2018 14:31

Starting a new topic as I don't believe this is already out there, but I went to a meeting last night regarding the redevelopment of Main Street in Downtown Richardson to add some really great pedestrian features. I haven't been able to find a great rendering online, but here's a limited snapshot looking down Main St toward 75.

richardson_new.png

Here's that same-ish view as it currently looks.

richardson_current.png

The big changes include:
- expanded sidewalks
- demolition of building at northwest corner of Main and Greenville (currently a Metro PCS/Cricket Mobile, I believe) to add parking
- many, many trees along the sidewalks as well as a treed median down Main St

Everything is slated to take place over the next year and a half, but it seems this could be the start of some pretty large changes for downtown Richardson. I'm curious if it will ultimately be as successful as DT Plano, Bishops or Lowest Greenville, all of which I consider to be a similar scale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Re: Richardson: Main Street Improvements

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Apr 2018 14:40

Awesome news! This area is seriously under-developed, and I could see this being as popular as Downtown Plano one day, so I'm really glad that Richardson recognizes the potential and it looks like they have a solid plan to start with.

I wonder what this means for all the existing restaurants/hookah cafes though.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 19 Apr 2018 15:12

DPatel304 wrote:I wonder what this means for all the existing restaurants/hookah cafes though.

Same here. Hopefully it end up benefiting the existing business with the increased foot traffic, but you always wondering what the impact will ultimately be. They will also be closing/re-routing Main St at points during the construction, so I will be interesting how much that affects those businesses.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Apr 2018 15:27

Hopefully none of them get 'pushed out' of the area, but I do feel like, in order for Downtown Richardson to be a walkable neighborhood, they will need more of a restaurant/retail variety.

I'd really like one of these suburban/urban areas to think big and think towards the future. By that, I mean, I hope they develop Downtown Richardson keeping in mind that there could be a Phase 2, Phase 3, or whatever into the future. Main Street could be the starting point, but, if it's a success, I don't see why they couldn't continue to develop to the north and south between 75 and Greenville, as there seems to be a lot of older buildings around here. Something like that would take decades, but hopefully they develop this first portion with future plans in mind, so, if the area does expand, it won't be such an awkward/disconnected expansion.

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Apr 2018 09:38

- demolition of building at northwest corner of Main and Greenville (currently a Metro PCS/Cricket Mobile, I believe) to add parking

I really don't understand this at all... I get the need for parking, but you don't put it on your primary corners of the area you are trying to make walkable. Successful historic downtowns (such as Grapevine) put all the parking (other than street parking) to the rear of the corridor. If you make your downtown desirable enough, people will find the parking. One of the ways to make it desirable enough, is to not line the pedestrian corridors with parking. This so confuses me...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 20 Apr 2018 14:47

This is a total guess, but I'm thinking the idea is to put the focus of pedestrian improvements into the block between Interurban Steet and Greenville Ave, making that corner lot essentially one "end" of the corridor. They're also removing sidewalk parking in that corridor, so I suppose this is making up for that.

There was talk last year of some apartments going up near the Chase building at Main St and 75 as well, so hopefully that will kickstart the foundation of some nearby residential foot traffic.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Apr 2018 08:54

Here are some renderings of what they are doing (warning large PDF-starts on slide 25). It's a pretty dramatic change, and involves a fairly large area from the Chase building on US75 to Greenville Ave past the DART tracks. Short version is they are taking away lanes from Main, Polk St, and McKinney St to widen sidewalks, add bike lanes, and add street trees, and moving to a form based code. Polk Street will be the most interesting- it will designed to be a street fair area. They are also activating the alleys in the downtown area, building some new parks, and turning a junky drainage ditch into a conservation feature. If they can pull this off, it will be very nice.

https://www.cor.net/home/showdocument?id=22501

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 26 Apr 2018 14:24

The_Overdog wrote:Here are some renderings of what they are doing (warning large PDF-starts on slide 25). It's a pretty dramatic change, and involves a fairly large area from the Chase building on US75 to Greenville Ave past the DART tracks. Short version is they are taking away lanes from Main, Polk St, and McKinney St to widen sidewalks, add bike lanes, and add street trees, and moving to a form based code. Polk Street will be the most interesting- it will designed to be a street fair area. They are also activating the alleys in the downtown area, building some new parks, and turning a junky drainage ditch into a conservation feature. If they can pull this off, it will be very nice.

Wow, great find! Here's the grand finale rendering from that (as warned, very large) PDF. This would be a really dramatic change if done to completion. I mentioned earlier the NW corner of Greenville and Main St was going to be demolished for parking, but it looks like it's actually going to be a small park with a handful of parking spots lining it.

Overall, really really impressive.

DT_Richardson.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Apr 2018 15:17

Looks fantastic to me. Is it too unreasonable/ambitious to hope that, one day, this Downtown could stretch from the Arapaho DART station to the Spring Valley DART station. I'm getting way ahead of myself, but it would be nice to see one of these urban/suburban neighborhoods become more than just a destination that people from the suburbs will drive to on the weeknigths/weekends.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 07 Oct 2018 23:40

I drove by the NW corner of Main St and Greenville Avenue today, and what has most recently been a Cricket Wireless (and maybe also a Boost Mobile?) has a chain link fence around it. This is where the plan is to build a small park with a few parking spaces around it, sort of the eastern anchor of the downtown Richardson redo. Not sure when it'll get demo'd, but I imagine it'll be soon. Fun times ahead!

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 09 Oct 2018 12:43

The_Overdog wrote:Here are some renderings of what they are doing (warning large PDF-starts on slide 25). It's a pretty dramatic change, and involves a fairly large area from the Chase building on US75 to Greenville Ave past the DART tracks. Short version is they are taking away lanes from Main, Polk St, and McKinney St to widen sidewalks, add bike lanes, and add street trees, and moving to a form based code. Polk Street will be the most interesting- it will designed to be a street fair area. They are also activating the alleys in the downtown area, building some new parks, and turning a junky drainage ditch into a conservation feature. If they can pull this off, it will be very nice.

Isn't Main street (*cough* Belt Line) already two lanes through there? Or are they talking about reducing it to two lanes between 75 and the DART tracks? And McKinney is basically gravel between Main & Polk, so its not so much taking away lanes as constructing them.

I agree with others that there would need to be a shift in the retail mix for this to really be successful. There's not a lot of foot traffic to the current tenants, despite a large chunk of higher-income housing nearby. My guess is that those wallets are driving to the Cityline and Campbell areas.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 09 Oct 2018 14:59

TNWE wrote:
Isn't Main street (*cough* Belt Line) already two lanes through there? Or are they talking about reducing it to two lanes between 75 and the DART tracks?

No, it's four lanes across, though they're relatively narrow. I'm excited to see this revamp, as I feel like it will bring a lot of new businesses to that area and see some of the momentum from the Heights shopping center hop the freeway and spill over.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 20 Feb 2019 22:15

Work on the Main Street project is due to get going by this summer.

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort ... is-summer/

Austin55

Postby Austin55 » 21 Feb 2019 13:05

I was just thinking that Main St. Richardson is underutilized a few days ago, glad to see something is planned!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Jun 2019 14:03

Richardson ready to redo its historic downtown district

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... n-district

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 04 Jun 2019 13:34

It's interesting, the city rebranded the Main Street corridor as the "Core District", which seems to be pretty lacking in terms of charm. But heck, if they are able to pull off this revitalization, they can call it whatever they want.

Looking forward to seeing this one develop!

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 25 Sep 2019 10:16

While not technically related to Main Street in Richarson, this is pretty close by:

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort-worth/richardson/city-county/2019/09/18/richardson-awarded-100000-grant-for-mobility-improvements-in-the-innovation-district/

Richardson awarded $100,000 grant for mobility improvements in the Innovation District

Richardson will put the money toward a road diet along Greenville Avenue that will remove driving lanes in favor of bike lanes and a pedestrian crossing, Transportation Engineer Daniel Herrig said in the release.

The city believes this will better connect Dallas Area Rapid Transit riders coming from Arapaho Center Station to the Innovation District and vice versa, according to the release.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 25 Sep 2019 20:45

Can confirm they've been painting the bike lanes onto Greenville yesterday and today, as well as working on the crosswalk. The lanes themselves have been coned off for at least a week in preparation. The city also has a page on their website about this.

Warrior2020

Postby Warrior2020 » 15 Apr 2021 14:21

So construction is getting underway and should take 26 months. So this project is really one of the largest projects underway in North Texas??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallas ... utType=amp

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 15 Apr 2021 18:12

Warrior2020 wrote:So construction is getting underway and should take 26 months. So this project is really one of the largest projects underway in North Texas??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallas ... utType=amp

Very exciting. Hopefully all the suburb cities take note and really build around their dart stations like Richardson keeps doing around theirs. Right PLANO?! :roll:

The video they attached in the article is quite good too. Provides a lot of the same information behind the DMN paywall and renderings.
https://vimeo.com/533733515

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 15 Apr 2021 18:52

Now they need to start working on plans to put in a light rail station. Why put a dense development on a transit line but put it halfway between the nearest stations?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 16 Apr 2021 09:03

I doubt they'll put in a rail station there, since there is one not too far away at Arapaho. They've done (IMO) a very wise thing and started to emphasize pedestrian and bike connectivity between downtown Richardson via both a paved trail and dedicated bike lanes.

I think Plano had actually set the standard for rail station development with the 15th street station, but glad to see Richardson focused on TOD and now "inter-TOD" activity.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 16 Apr 2021 09:17

Right PLANO?!

Plano has two large apartment buildings planned directly next to DART stations (Parker and 12th Street), and 3 more very recently constructed or under construction within 1/4 mile. Richardson has actually rejected more buildings than Plano has adjacent to transit in the past couple of months.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 16 Apr 2021 10:42

Having grown up in Richardson, to see the run down Downtown area being portrayed as a "destination" is beyond laughable. The whole area is ripe for a tear down redo. They should remake it into an area like The Grove in Los Angeles. Just rebuilt an entire district and recreate a Downtown environment. The current set of buildings are horrendous. Richardson can never compare to Plano or McKinney.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 16 Apr 2021 14:07

The_Overdog wrote:
Right PLANO?!

Plano has two large apartment buildings planned directly next to DART stations (Parker and 12th Street), and 3 more very recently constructed or under construction within 1/4 mile. Richardson has actually rejected more buildings than Plano has adjacent to transit in the past couple of months.

It's a reference to the recent news that Plano rejected a planned development on the fry's electronics site next to the GBush Dart Station, because it had Residential. Someone tried to explain that itwas about tax revenue, but that's still not very convincing.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 16 Apr 2021 14:33

rono3849 wrote:Having grown up in Richardson, to see the run down Downtown area being portrayed as a "destination" is beyond laughable. The whole area is ripe for a tear down redo. They should remake it into an area like The Grove in Los Angeles. Just rebuilt an entire district and recreate a Downtown environment. The current set of buildings are horrendous. Richardson can never compare to Plano or McKinney.

From what I have seen, I think this will be a pretty transformative. Sure the downtown isn't the prettiest right now, but there is a boatload of potential, and I imagine there will be quite a bit of redevelopment of existing buildings. Then hopefully any teardown and redo will be similar to what's been done by Exxir in Bishop Arts.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 06 Jul 2021 10:49

The construction of new housing and retail around Main street has finally begun. The area around the Chase bank building on the north side of Main and Central Expressway has pipes laid for townhouse and multifamily construction, replacing the massive amount of parking lots. I believe they are going to keep some parking, or do a shared parking arrangement. It's been many years, so I don't recall.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 06 Jul 2021 13:53

The Main Street infrastructure improvements are largely finished too. I'll have to cruise through and snap some photos. The street stuff looks nice, there's a "park" on the corner that I'm not too crazy about (lots of concrete, not much seating), but I am hoping that just becomes useful organically.

It's early days still, but I think this is going to be really cool and well done.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 06 Jul 2021 14:03

exelone31 wrote:The Main Street infrastructure improvements are largely finished too. I'll have to cruise through and snap some photos. The street stuff looks nice, there's a "park" on the corner that I'm not too crazy about (lots of concrete, not much seating), but I am hoping that just becomes useful organically.

It's early days still, but I think this is going to be really cool and well done.

Would love to see photos when you get a chance. Hope that other cities will follow suit (assuming this is as good as it seems to be).

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Jul 2021 12:27

Yes while this Downtown may not have a cute town square like Garland does its near a highway which many argue is good for attracting real downtown retail and restaurants since most business owners focus on car count for choosing locations. I am glad they are keeping what they can of the original downtown and building new stuff to frame it. If we just flatten out every old downtown and start from scratch they will all look like Firewheel Mall and not really carry any character or uniqueness. The revitalization of old main streets throughout Texas continues.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 10 Jul 2021 18:27

Some progress pics from the other day. The tons of rain we had in May slowed them down for a while, but they seem to be back to normal now.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 11 Jul 2021 18:23

As a person who grew up in Richardson, the city let Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco, & Denton leave it behind in the dust. The Downtown area needs to be completely redone. The old buildings are nothing historical or worth saving. It's a pathetic attempt to put lipstick on a pig. Sadly, Richardson has never had forward looking leadership.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jul 2021 16:05

rono3849 wrote:As a person who grew up in Richardson, the city let Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco, & Denton leave it behind in the dust. The Downtown area needs to be completely redone. The old buildings are nothing historical or worth saving. It's a pathetic attempt to put lipstick on a pig. Sadly, Richardson has never had forward looking leadership.

Just be careful just because you don't have some big classical beaux arts city hall or a square with a central fountain and dusty old buildings with classic character doesn't mean the existing buildings wont have anything to contribute to the city's historical culture. I have driven through that area many times and the buildings that are there have something to contribute the story of Richardson. Having those seemingly quieter buildings next to the new stuff will give the area context and make it feel less like a Freewheel Mall and more like a actual historical area that has a past that was almost wiped out. I am not saying keeping a old drive thru McDonalds is the goal for areas like this but they have the bones to be a part of the creative solution to making Richardson's Downtown unique. Lord knows shinny things like Legacy hall can have even shorter shelf life's when they are brand new just as easily as old stuff that's been ignored for decades.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 15 Jul 2021 18:04

Yeah, I feel like the way they are going about it will turn out pretty nice. I live in Richardson, so it's been a lot easier to spot the changes, but you've definitely already seen quite a drastic change on the other side of 75 with the Heights Shopping Center and Lockwood. I have a feeling something very similar will happen in this Main Street corridor.

While the buildings may not be architecturally significant like say a Downtown Plano, I think some still have some charm and will be repurposed while others will be razed and replaced with something (hopefully) contextually similar. We shall see.

Warrior2020

Postby Warrior2020 » 31 Jul 2021 13:27

Will this get a dart station?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 31 Jul 2021 17:02

7B58C535-1B3B-4073-80D3-D8527ABFB181.png

Main St is between the two Richardson DART stations. I remember a rendering showing that they made a linear park/green space along the tracks to connect Main St to the stations.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 02 Aug 2021 19:19

To my knowledge, there are no plans for one right now, but there should be.

Halfway between existing stations is pretty ideal spacing for an infill station. During initial planning, there was going to be a station north of the Belt Line/Main overpass, but they ended up not implementing it. That spot is almost exactly halfway between Spring Valley and Arapaho Center. That being said, I think that putting the station on the overpass would better serve the downtown area, even if it nudges it closer to SV.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 02 Aug 2021 23:20

Looks like it is 0.7 miles to the Spring Valley station and 1.2 miles to the Arapaho Station. I think I'd rather see development continue further south and eventually connect Main St to the Spring Valley Station.

A station at Main Street would be cool, but it really wouldn't make sense unless there were a lot of people living and/or working in the immediate area. I'd imagine most people using the DART stations in this area are driving to the DART and parking there car there, so adding an additional station halfway in between wouldn't really add to the ridership all that much.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 16 Aug 2021 21:55

Here's a photo of the improvements to Downtown Richardson I took this past Saturday. I tried to get the vantage point close to this rendering.

It will take a little while for the foot traffic to materialize, but it is much nicer than before. I am a bit curious on the choice of trees for the median. There was a garden-variety thunderstorm rolling through and those trees looked pretty strained. Hopefully they'll have time to thicken up here soon.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 19 Aug 2022 12:20

New apartments and retail will bring people to Richardson’s old town center
“It’s all starting to come together,” Rutherford said. “It’s kind of like Richardson’s version of Bishop Arts in Dallas’ Oak Cliff.”

The Belt & Main project got delayed during the pandemic, but the mixed-use building is set to start opening this winter.
. . .
“It’s part of the overall downtown Richardson redevelopment,” Rutherford said. “The city is coming in with some new parks that are going to be timed with when we are done.”

He said the linear park will stretch along the elevated section of the rail line.

- Dallas Morning News
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2022/08/19/new-apartments-and-retail-will-bring-people-to-richardsons-old-town-center/

Richardson1.jpg

Richardson3.jpg

Richardson4.jpg

Richardson2.jpg

- Catalyst Urban Development
http://catalysturban.com/portfolio/richardson-gateway/

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 22 Aug 2022 09:18

I was expecting the apartment with the green angled roof to be flattopped, but with a pergola-type metal roof over the flattop, but instead it seems like it's going to have a traditional wood-framed angled roof included in the top floor units. It shows that in the rendering, but I'm still surprised.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 22 Aug 2022 15:20

Flat topped roof is wasted if there's no patio planned under a shade pergola, so top floor cathedral ceilings are actually an improvement in the design -- as long as they choose to use a roof truss that allows for that ceiling layout. This truss will probably be steel rather than woodframed because of the updraft load on that deep, deep overhang during a windstorm.

What I dislike is the exposed garage facade facing NCX (only barely improved by square advertising banners)

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 22 Aug 2022 16:47

they already have the wood decking on the angled roof, so I'm not sure what the room ceiling height configuration or roof truss material was. I have only seen it in passing.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 17 Sep 2022 19:54

Recent progress. South end is fully framed out, north end is on floor 2.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 14 Jan 2023 22:47

Work seems to have stalled out on this project. There are plenty of materials stacked around everywhere, even some equipment, but little to no progress on the structure has been made since the last pics in September. There's often a car or two parked in there, presumably security hired to make sure nobody steals anything, but no construction workers. I guess the money's been tight. Hopefully it picks up again soon.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 08 Feb 2023 09:55

I drive past this on my way to work and have been wondering what's going on. Finally bothered to look it up (while bored at work ;))

Looks like construction is supposed to re-commence...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... l-project/

Developers of a Richardson mixed-use project say work on the high-profile property will restart soon with a new construction team.

The Belt & Main apartment and retail project is hard to miss on Richardson’s Main Street near U.S. Highway 75.

After a start of construction in 2021, work on the huge development ground to a halt last year.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 15 Mar 2023 21:13

Work has slowly started to resume over the last few weeks. So far it seems to mostly be workers checking things out, assessing the state of things, safety, etc. Hopefully it's not too long until construction resumes in earnest.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 13 May 2023 19:14

Proper construction has resumed over the last few weeks. The difference in wood color between the new work and the stuff that's been sitting out exposed for many months is obvious.