eSports Stadium Arlington

I45Tex

eSports Stadium Arlington

Postby I45Tex » 15 Mar 2018 22:20

Converting old Convention Center — thoughts, folks?

https://www.guidelive.com/video-games/2 ... st-stadium

I45Tex

Re: eSports Stadium Arlington

Postby I45Tex » 16 Mar 2018 13:36

So what is the mechanism for times when a project needs to be discussed in two complementary perspectives, for instance a public park that’s supposed to foster urban economic growth? How would threading work there?
I’m thinking of the Oak Cliff Deck Park in that example, but also here’s a link to yesterday’s discussion of the eSporting tourism facility development from within our athletics sub-forum, which I didn’t ever visit:

viewtopic.php?f=23&p=11970&sid=8c9a8c27ad10288eb8f93e5d2baee8c4#p11970

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 16 Mar 2018 14:08

I'll say it again and I mean this in all due respect... Always felt like Arlington was what would happen if you let a 13 year old boy design a city.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Mar 2018 14:34

So, do Arlington voters have to approve the $10M plan to convert the convention center for esports, or is it a city council vote?

On a related note, Mark Cuban is converting the former Deep Ellum Mavs HQ into an esports venue this spring.

https://www.centraltrack.com/is-north-t ... ports-hub/

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 16 Mar 2018 15:11

In all seriousness, I know these projects have to be good for the economy, I just always wonder how good. By the looks of it, Arlington hasn't turned into the vibrant entertainment capital it hoped to be by adding the Cowboys stadium and other projects. This is a drop in the bucket, but with the ridiculous deal made with the Rangers to stay there, one has to question the leadership there overall. I just can't imagine in the long run being the place where all the stadium are is better than having a lot of tax revenue producing businesses. With their central location they definitely could have gone that direction instead.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Mar 2018 15:18

In some peoples mind, it's all they have to remain in the conversation. If they didn't have those stadiums some suggest Arlington would be equal to a flyover state. UT Arlington seems like it has gained some relevance because of it too.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 16 Mar 2018 15:26

I understand that, but when Irving lost the Texas Stadium they started focusing on Las Colinas. I knowArlington doesn't have a very big business district yet, but we've seen these pop-up basically overnight like they did in Plano. Offer those tax incentives to attracting businesses instead, which will at least return some of that money in business tax revenue. The economics of stadiums never seem to make sense for the tax payer. They have the size and proximity to the airport/Dallas/Fort Worth, but have never seemed to utilize it for anything other than getting screwed over by sports team owners and creating low-paying jobs in the retail/entertainment industry.