Irving: Comprehensive Plan

muncien

Irving: Comprehensive Plan

Postby muncien » 25 Oct 2016 11:31

I realize all cities come up with these comprehensive plans from time to time, but I admit that I am quite impressed with what Irving has cobbled together here. I believe this is still a draft and hasn't been fully approved yet, but it's great to see the city embracing a more urban oriented future.

The link is here http://cityofirving.org/documentcenter/view/20716 if you are totally bored and need something to read... but, here are some of the goods;

Catalyst Sites: Some of these we already knew of (Texas Stadium, Heritage District), some of them we discussed here (Irving Mall), but two more seeming came out of nowhere (North Lake College, Greenwood Hills & Highlands). Aside from Greenwood Hills and maybe the Heritage District, all of these sites have very urban design and densities with grid layout streets, retail fronting the street, and shared parking garages. Mixed use is a must as these are designed to be self sufficient areas and not necessarily a place where the whole city drives to on occassion. They also work to incorporate connections with neighboring areas as opposed to walled off developments. It's all very encouraging assuming the city is able to pull it off over time. The North Lake College site is quite impressive on it's own.

Neighborhood Centers: There is also a strong push toward neighborhood centers that provide local services for easy access by nearby residents. Centers would be spread throughout the city (primarily enhancing existing retail sites) and be built using complete streets characteristics to encourage access by methods other than just driving.

Housing will increase in density, but with a strong focus on mixed use. I don't see anything in here about garden style apartments that seem to take over the city during the 80's.

It's also interesting that the Verizon site isn't even mentioned in here.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Irving: Comprehensive Plan

Postby tamtagon » 27 Oct 2016 08:14

Any mention of time sensitivity with catalyst site development? Texas Stadium site, for example, I kinda think this real estate (and LRT Station) could wait a while, turn into something truly spectacular, if it's offline for some years while Lake Caroline turns into a really great downtown amenity... Verizon and North Lake fill in...

also, where's KellyUSA?!?!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Oct 2016 14:31

It's funny that you mention the Texas Stadium site. Currently before Council is a resolution to adopt the project and financing plan and to create TIR #6. Looking through the long agenda there was something that caught my eye. Someone has already bought 256 acres with plans for what they are calling Texas Village Walk which is an upscale mixed-use development. Tried looking up some info but all I found was the company is registered to a guy in Midland. I know these things have a high probability of falling apart, but still found it interesting!

muncien

Postby muncien » 27 Oct 2016 14:55

tamtagon wrote:Any mention of time sensitivity with catalyst site development? Texas Stadium site, for example, I kinda think this real estate (and LRT Station) could wait a while, turn into something truly spectacular, if it's offline for some years while Lake Caroline turns into a really great downtown amenity... Verizon and North Lake fill in...

also, where's KellyUSA?!?!

It was interesting how little was mentioned about the Urban Center. I suppose they feel it's growing into it's own... ?

There are some timelines for the stadium site (which is actually MUCH bigger than just the stadium). From what I recall, it starts slowly in 2019 and builds incrementally from there over like a dozen years... but I don't have it right in front of me. But based on the plan, it seems more realistic in scale and more functional than the Urban Center per se. While there may be high-rises, I don't believe that's the intent for more than a small portion of the site. Much of it will be mid to low rise, and a small number of single family close to University of Dallas.

As much as I'd LOVE to see something get going on the Irving Mall site, I really don't see that happening any time soon. But the site plots they proposed look quite nice, and are just what the area needs.

Thanks Kelly for the dirt... Any idea what plot that 256 acres is for? I swear I went over the counsel agenda, but I must have missed that interesting detail.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Oct 2016 16:31

Hey Muncien,

If you click on the agenda packet you'll find it in the details... It's under Resolution 16. If I remember correctly the land they assembled was basically the old stadium parking lots north of 114 and including the Central Freight facility.

muncien

Postby muncien » 01 Nov 2016 10:19

Thx Kelly for the info...

I'm actually most excited about areas A, F, and G. The fact that they are adjacent to the river, not surrounded by freeway (100%), and much bigger than the stadium site itself are all good signs for the area. And if I read correctly, the only single-family stuff would be a small portion of area 'E'.
I really can't wait to see this start to take shape... although, I think we will be waiting a few years at least for any sizable changes.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Nov 2016 10:50

Does the University of Dallas have any plans on the horizon to expand? I had not known until the Bush Presidential Library selection that UoD owns like more than a hundred acres of nice wooded Trinity River forest....