Garland: old Hypermart site

jrd1964

Garland: old Hypermart site

Postby jrd1964 » 22 Oct 2017 14:51

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/garland ... ty-gateway

The city of Garland is spending $6.3 million for the old Hypermart USA site at Shiloh/Kingsley/Garland roads. They want to tear it down and replace it with a 'gateway' project.

Previously the site of the Apollo Drive-In, the Hypermart USA store opened in late 1987-early 1988 with 226,000 square feet of groceries, clothing, refrigerators and other appliances, toys, automotive, a food court, storefront services (bank, shoe repair, hair salon, etc), and more, plus a convenience store-gas station in the parking lot. Some associates wore roller skates to assist customers quicker. Walmart partnered with Cullum Cos. (Tom Thumb's original parent) initially for the store's grocery section, but Cullum would later pull out of the venture. Walmart later would rebrand/reimage the store in Garland as a Walmart Supercenter. Despite thousands of shoppers, writeups in papers on both coasts,

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-07/ ... ermart-usa
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/02/04/busin ... wanted=all

and additional locations in Arlington and 2 in the Midwest, the Garland store closed in 2008, replaced with a smaller but current Super format store nearby off Northwest Hwy./Marketplace Dr. It has sat empty and up for sale till now.

The store in Arlington remains open as a Walmart Supercenter.

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Garland: old Hypermart site

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 Oct 2017 16:41

They should build apartments there.
They already have a renovated Shopping center on Miller and Garland Rd.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Oct 2017 10:16

The problem with that idea is this site is surrounded by active industrial property and most developers would be more interested in more industrial development but the city wants something more significant there since it is a gateway site for the city. I wish they could get some form of a mixed-use redevelopment but I have seen less and less that is a possibility. Particularly because mixed use in DFW means high-end finishes and high-end prices and this site would be great for more middle ground priced residential and retail. Dallas developers and banks don't know how to do that here though. They only know how to do mixed use on golden hillside with signature towers and exclusive hotels.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 16 May 2018 06:51

Demolition work has started this week on the building. Still no takers, but the City of Garland is optimistic. Sad to see a piece of retail history going, but maybe there will be a good use for the land.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... n-entryway

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 May 2018 08:21

I wish the existing building could be used but I am fine with seeing it demoed as well. A fresh start is what the site needs to move on. Please please don't just turn into a generic industrial complex. I don't expect Legacy West here but something that moves the city forward besides a car dealership or an industrial warehouse project.

muncien

Postby muncien » 16 May 2018 10:10

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I wish the existing building could be used but I am fine with seeing it demoed as well. A fresh start is what the site needs to move on. Please please don't just turn into a generic industrial complex. I don't expect Legacy West here but something that moves the city forward besides a car dealership or an industrial warehouse project.

It looks like the old building would have made a killer indoor soccer/basketball/other sports facility. But it certainly was an eye-sore. I drove by it for the first time a few weeks ago, and had no idea what the story was behind it. But, it did peak my interest.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 16 May 2018 12:44

I still have the store map they gave out somewhere in my stuff. The sections of the store were color-coded. There really were employees on roller skates. The first place I ever saw a full grocery selection, clothing, appliances, pharmacy, food court, plus a nice compliment of storefront services--all in one place. Then a gas station/c-store in the parking lot if you needed that before you left the premises. Now our big Walmart and SuperTarget stores make this a more manageable but everyday thing... but 30+ years ago, not so much. When they had the Skaggs Albertson's stores around here in the 1970s, that was the closest thing there had been before HypermartUSA came along. The only thing that remains is the convenience store, and the ownership and gas branding long since flipped.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 May 2018 12:58

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I don't expect Legacy West here but something that moves the city forward besides a car dealership or an industrial warehouse project.

Unfortunately, Garland just produces Used Car Dealerships, Tire shops and industrial complexes.

I think it'll be an industrial complex.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 16 May 2018 13:30

Having managed, leased and owned a number of properties in Garland, my experience has been that the city fathers expect the 635 corridor to develop like the DNT through Frisco. They've been expecting this since LBJ opened, and needless to say have been disappointed over and over. So plan on this property staying undeveloped for a very long time, as they'll turn down anything short of the Taj Mahal.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 May 2018 15:14

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I don't expect Legacy West here but something that moves the city forward besides a car dealership or an industrial warehouse project.

Unfortunately, Garland just produces Used Car Dealerships, Tire shops and industrial complexes.

I think it'll be an industrial complex.

:roll:

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 16 May 2018 21:13

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Having managed, leased and owned a number of properties in Garland, my experience has been that the city fathers expect the 635 corridor to develop like the DNT through Frisco. They've been expecting this since LBJ opened, and needless to say have been disappointed over and over. So plan on this property staying undeveloped for a very long time, as they'll turn down anything short of the Taj Mahal.

The part of I-635 west of Garland Road has that KCS railroad track to the north of it, so nothing will happen there. There's land around the Walmart south of NW Highway and the WinCo off Centerville, and very little has happened around those plots recently except a new LaQuinta off of Saturn Road. Unless Garland thinks the LBJ East redo will work magic for them, I'm not sure what to think. If there were takers for the Hypermart land before now, something (or more) would already be there.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 23 Jul 2018 20:02

Just went by the site last Friday, and the building is gone now. Didn't take them long at all. Strange to see a place that really made retail history, that is now only a memory.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jul 2018 11:54

It will most likely end up with a shipping/distribution warehouse of some kind on the site.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 25 Jul 2018 05:19

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It will most likely end up with a shipping/distribution warehouse of some kind on the site.

You're likely right, despite the grandiose hopes among the TPTBs in Garland.