Oak Cliff: Wynnewood Village redo

tamtagon
Site Admin

Oak Cliff: Wynnewood Village redo

Postby tamtagon » 03 Aug 2017 08:07

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ing-center
Oak Cliff's Wynnewood Village owner Brixmor plans upgrades for the 1940s shopping center

Written by Maria Halkias

...65 acres just west of I-35 along S. Zang Blvd. and Illinois Ave. The 443,681-square-foot shopping center is 88 percent leased

Wynnewood was built in 1949, decades before enclosed malls were built. It was laid out like a village with one-story buildings and parking around the streets.

The core shopping center will get new landscaping, façade and parking areas, Berger said, and a section near an existing roundabout will be a new focal point of the shopping center. Brixmor is still working on plans, he said, but a second phase will include the large vacant field in the middle of the center where a Montgomery Ward store once stood.

Oak Cliff is waking up!

It will be difficult at times as growing interest makes more and more of the area too expensive for lower income families. The effective eviction of poor people and subsequent developmental failure of the Lake Highlands Town Center a decade ago tells us alot, how much of that situation actually applies to Wynnewood Village and Oak Cliff remains to be seen.

lakewoodhobo

Re: Oak Cliff: Wynnewood Village redo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Aug 2017 10:08

This project really interests me, not just because it's a 1950s shopping center getting a new life but because of the very complicated game of chess that's been going on behind the scenes, mainly in redeveloping the surrounding public housing project.

Unlike in Lake Highlands, nobody here has been kicked out of housing. The Parks at Wynnewood have been getting redeveloped over several years to become more dense and free up land of future market-rate housing, which will never happen until the shopping center draws higher-income customers like the people living in Elmwood and Wynnewood North, Dallas Zoo visitors, etc.

I'm a little disappointed that they're trying to modernize the shopping center rather than keep the midcentury vibe and I'm also not so sure this area is ready for a movie theater, but the pad sites here are where you can put your Starbucks or Chipotle without upsetting the Bishop Arts/North Oak Cliff folks.

1501691271-Wynnewood_Village_concept_3.jpg

1501691269-Wynnewood_Village_concept_1.jpg

1501691268-Wynnewood_Village_concept_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Aug 2017 12:38

Ugh.... Scrap this cheap outdated idea.
If you're gonna gentrify at least make an attempt to give something back to the community..

I hope they reconsider making it mixed use with some affordable housing. Maybe in the second phase..who knows.

The area needs more housing not another shopping center that will kick out the existing small businesses.

Say good bye to His & Hers Barbershop, Ken's braiding, the shoe repair shop..

You're going to effectively see these renovations bring the fancy Starbucks, bring in another grocer not named El Rancho, replace Gorman's Insurance agency with another god damn Juice Bar.

Essentially, the businesses that cater to the existing community will be kicked out, so now you have a place where the low income community can't even shop. So is really that different than Lakewood?

Oh and I love how they show the Shopping Center parking lots full of cars!

Question, Who here has actually seen this shopping center full?! I can't EVER recall seeing it even half full. Dallas seriously needs consider optimizing it's land use. These parking lots are massive.. there's space there for something better

Just let this Shopping Center die already. There's nothing nostalgic nor charming about this place.

... Give the area something better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Aug 2017 14:34

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Ugh.... Scrap this cheap outdated idea.
If you're gonna gentrify at least make an attempt to give something back to the community..

I hope they reconsider making it mixed use with some affordable housing. Maybe in the second phase..who knows.

The area needs more housing not another shopping center that will kick out the existing small businesses.

Say good bye to His & Hers Barbershop, Ken's braiding, the shoe repair shop..

You're going to effectively see these renovations bring the fancy Starbucks, bring in another grocer not named El Rancho, replace Gorman's Insurance agency with another god damn Juice Bar.

Essentially, the businesses that cater to the existing community will be kicked out, so now you have a place where the low income community can't even shop. So is really that different than Lakewood?

Oh and I love how they show the Shopping Center parking lots full of cars!

Question, Who here has actually seen this shopping center full?! I can't EVER recall seeing it even half full. Dallas seriously needs consider optimizing it's land use. These parking lots are massive.. there's space there for something better

Just let this Shopping Center die already. There's nothing nostalgic nor charming about this place.

... Give the area something better.

Interesting points. Couple of things:

-The shopping center is 88% leased but never "full" because it's too spread out. If you could move all the stores there now to half the footprint, it would look full. One of the reasons Brixmor never did anything is because it is actually profitable the way it is. It would be great to shrink the shopping center and turn the northern half into housing.

-When I talk to people about Wynnewood Village, mostly residents of Wynnewood North and Elmwood, there's a delusional minority that thinks there should be a Whole Foods there but most people in the area (they don't admit it but) would go to a Starbucks or Raising Cane's here because they already travel 15-20 minutes for those things. Starbucks, by the way, would be a great employer for the nearby working-class family. They offer full tuition coverage to Arizona State University, which Ken's Braiding and Wig Paradise don't provide.