South Dallas: University Hills

Tnexster

South Dallas: University Hills

Postby Tnexster » 19 Jul 2017 13:35

Planned mixed-use project of nearly 275 acres would be one of the first in Far South Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... uth-dallas

http://www.centurionamerican.com/university-hills/

A big mixed-use project in the works for Far South Dallas would be the first such development in the Interstate-20 corridor.

Centurion American Development Group is getting approvals for the almost 275-acre project at I-20 and Lancaster Road. The land development would include sites for construction of townhouses, apartments, retail, office and hotels.

Dallas city planners have already approved the planned development but are making minor changes in the masterplan.

Along with the commercial construction, the University Hills development will feature "medium density residential uses that will include apartments and townhomes," according to documents filed with the city.

DPatel304

Re: South Dallas: University Hills

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Jul 2017 17:22

I'm really excited to see what becomes of the south side. It could very well see as much growth as north DFW has, but the south has a chance to learn from their mistakes and perhaps build more denser and smarter to begin with.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Jul 2017 22:16

I don't know how dense they will build. The people that live out here don't necessarily want dense and in fact will scream bloody murder when it's proposed. I only know that because I have been to the meetings and it is fought tooth and nail every time. Cedar Hill will be doing some on 1382 closer to the center of town and Grand Prairie has a plan for dense mixed use on the south end of the tollway but that is about it. University Hills makes sense being so close to UNT, that area could probably really benefit from it.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Jul 2017 23:58

Is there a road that runs along the DART tracks in that area? Google maps has not been updated with the new tracks and station in satellite imagery. If not, and they don't plan to build one that goes to lancaster road with good sidewalks, then I don't see how this site has reasonable DART access. It would be near tracks, but in the current plan I don't see meaningful pedestrian access to the UNT-D DART station. Maybe we will see it when a more detailed plan is released, or maybe we just have developers, transportation officials, and city leaders that don't understand how public transportation works (I tend to believe the latter).

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Jul 2017 08:05

Who is the city council rep for this area? I would say developing pockets of higher density is critical for South Dallas.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Jul 2017 09:32

Matt777 wrote:Is there a road that runs along the DART tracks in that area? Google maps has not been updated with the new tracks and station in satellite imagery. If not, and they don't plan to build one that goes to lancaster road with good sidewalks, then I don't see how this site has reasonable DART access. It would be near tracks, but in the current plan I don't see meaningful pedestrian access to the UNT-D DART station. Maybe we will see it when a more detailed plan is released, or maybe we just have developers, transportation officials, and city leaders that don't understand how public transportation works (I tend to believe the latter).

Looking at that google map gives you a better sense of the distance from the development site to the Dart station. I didn't realize how far that is.

Hwulivn

University Hills

Postby Hwulivn » 22 Jul 2017 01:34

Why hasn't anybody posted anything about this huge proposed development? This is a huge project and a transformative one at that! I've tried to become a paying member of the Dallas Morning News to get behind the pay wall, but can't get my account setup properly.

What's the deal? Nobody cares about anything south of Jefferson? If anyone saw the article and has access to it, PLEASE POST IT HERE!

rantanamo

Re: University Hills

Postby rantanamo » 22 Jul 2017 02:13

there's a thread already

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jul 2017 10:57

Tnexster wrote:
Matt777 wrote:Is there a road that runs along the DART tracks in that area? Google maps has not been updated with the new tracks and station in satellite imagery. If not, and they don't plan to build one that goes to lancaster road with good sidewalks, then I don't see how this site has reasonable DART access. It would be near tracks, but in the current plan I don't see meaningful pedestrian access to the UNT-D DART station. Maybe we will see it when a more detailed plan is released, or maybe we just have developers, transportation officials, and city leaders that don't understand how public transportation works (I tend to believe the latter).

Looking at that google map gives you a better sense of the distance from the development site to the Dart station. I didn't realize how far that is.

from the DMN article:
Townhouses and apartments would be built at the north end of the heavily wooded tract near the DART light rail Blue Line.
Centurion American's planned development is just southeast of the University of North Texas' southern Dallas campus and is adjacent to a DART commuter rail station.

Looks to be totally available for transit oriented development, whether or not Centurian builds it that way is another matter.

UNT-Dallas may be struggling to get a foot-hold as an actual university, this development would seems to make a pretty good companion piece.
University Hills.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 22 Jul 2017 12:50

This area twenty years ago was like a warzone. Gang warfare and just outright crime. It's still no better now than it was back then. However, there have been signs of slight improvement now that all of the warehouses have been going up.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Jul 2017 14:13

joshua.dodd wrote:This area twenty years ago was like a warzone. Gang warfare and just outright crime. It's still no better now than it was back then. However, there have been signs of slight improvement now that all of the warehouses have been going up.

I wondered about this so I looked at the Dallas crime maps to see what this area looked like and really don't think it looks that bad, not compared to central Dallas, downtown, Uptown and Oak Lawn.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 22 Jul 2017 15:36

I grew up in this area back in the 90s. It was considered one of the most dangerous areas of the city back then. I still wouldn't be caught walking around the streets at night out there today.

Hwulivn

University Hills - South Oak Cliff

Postby Hwulivn » 23 Jul 2017 22:20

Why no thread for this huge, transformational project? I couldn't get my Dallas Morning News pay wall. Otherwise, I would've posted the article that ran this week.

Anybody, have any thoughts on this project?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: University Hills - South Oak Cliff

Postby tamtagon » 24 Jul 2017 08:34

Hwulivn wrote:Why no thread for this huge, transformational project? I couldn't get my Dallas Morning News pay wall. Otherwise, I would've posted the article that ran this week.

As stated before, my thoughts: 1) developing pockets of higher density is critical for South Dallas; 2) Looks to be totally available for transit oriented development, whether or not Centurian builds it that way is another matter; 3) UNT-Dallas may be struggling to get a foot-hold as an actual university, this development would seems to make a pretty good companion piece.

cowboyeagle05

Re: University Hills - South Oak Cliff

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Jul 2017 10:37

tamtagon wrote:
Hwulivn wrote:Why no thread for this huge, transformational project? I couldn't get my Dallas Morning News pay wall. Otherwise, I would've posted the article that ran this week.

As stated before, my thoughts: 1) developing pockets of higher density is critical for South Dallas; 2) Looks to be totally available for transit oriented development, whether or not Centurian builds it that way is another matter; 3) UNT-Dallas may be struggling to get a foot-hold as an actual university, this development would seems to make a pretty good companion piece.

UNT-Dallas has two new buildings going up as we speak. A dormitory which opens this semester and a third building housing a number of things with expanded services.

unt_dallas_student_learning_and_success_center-1.png
unt_dallas_student_learning_and_success_center-2.png
unt_dallas_student_learning_and_success_center-3.png

UNTD-Rendering-1a.jpg
UNTD-Elevation.jpg
untd_rendering_2a_lr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Hwulivn

Postby Hwulivn » 05 Aug 2017 12:02

joshua.dodd wrote:I grew up in this area back in the 90s. It was considered one of the most dangerous areas of the city back then. I still wouldn't be caught walking around the streets at night out there today.

I'm from that general area too and it was not quite that bad. Certainly other areas of Dallas were worse. I never felt like I was in danger in that area.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Aug 2017 12:37

I will be totally disappointed if some whacked-out nimby sentimentality discourages this deal. Population density, especially adjacent to the train station and university is a prerequisite to a growing a better community.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Dec 2017 22:05

Proposed development near UNT-Dallas in southern sector clears major hurdle at City Hall

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... -city-hall

Centurion intends to use the tax incentives from the project to help finance bonds that can pay for 800 homes and other amenities in southern Dallas. City leaders are negotiating with Moayedi and his representatives and are researching the impact of the MMD.

muncien

Postby muncien » 15 Dec 2017 09:00

The name still rubs me the wrong way... We already have a 'University Hills' with some historical significance.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Jun 2022 12:23

Huge mixed-use development in southern Dallas would ‘rewrite perceptions’
The city of Dallas is considering more than $31.4 million in incentives for the project.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... rceptions/

zaphod

Postby zaphod » 07 Jun 2022 19:16

Completely misses DART, is an infill station planned?

itsjrd1964

Southern Dallas: University Hills

Postby itsjrd1964 » 08 Jun 2022 04:06

Hoque Global and city of Dallas partner on 270-acre University Hills development

The development will be near UNT-Dallas, and will have:
hundreds of single-family homes, 1,500 residences in multifamily communities, 1.5 million square feet of commercial space, and over 50 acres of open green space at full build-out.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... allas.html

itsjrd1964

Re: Southern Dallas: University Hills

Postby itsjrd1964 » 08 Jun 2022 04:21

(Didn't realize there was another thread, I guess they can be merged)

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 08 Jun 2022 09:35

Does it completely miss DART? It doesn't seem integrated into the station [they might not own the land closer by], but the rail-line ends right near there, so they would just have to make a short trail, or they could move the entire station about 1/4 of a mile.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 08 Jun 2022 23:21

The_Overdog wrote:Does it completely miss DART? It doesn't seem integrated into the station [they might not own the land closer by], but the rail-line ends right near there, so they would just have to make a short trail, or they could move the entire station about 1/4 of a mile.

That’s correct. they do not own the land immediately next to it. Another developer is holding on to it, Centurion, according to the article
Centurion American Development Group currently owns the property, which sits south of DART’s blue rail line. The Farmers Branch-based developer bought the site in 2016 and proposed its own plans for a mixed-use development in 2017. That plan never came to fruition.

The development is akwardly between the camp wisdom and unt Dallas dart statiion, so they might be able to make it work.
But itll be akward. City of Dallas/DART should have been able to move things to make something so obvious work.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jun 2022 13:50

Developer hopes to lure major employers to long-overlooked part of Dallas
From a new downtown tower to what he calls a ‘university town’ surrounding UNT-Dallas, Mike Hoque wants to change the direction of North Texas’ growth.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... of-dallas/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Jun 2022 20:26

I love how in this article Hoque Global has more experience? Sure Hoque Global has a tower planned Downtown (NewPark 1) and owns an old office building Downtown (Adolphus tower) but not seeing what extra experience Hoque Global has over Centurion. Centurion has Plano Collin Creek going well for now. Centurion renovated a major historical Dallas Icon the Statler and has numerous restaurants/hospitality concepts that for now are open and working. Centurion has other stalled projects we have certainly talked about at length on this forum as well. They also have done a few residential projects around the burbs with small amounts of retail that are new construction. Hoque Global has proposed many things but none of them really being fully complete and moving still. SoGood has one apartment building. Adolphus Tower did its renovation but the ground floor still has no restaurant. They really seem like they are both in the same boat full of leaks trying to swim up river. All the while the Trammel Crows and Hillwoods of the metro are raking in the cash in the great white northern suburbs.

Call Me Hoque when you get HEB to sign on for a store here, Then I know they have a chance.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”