Texas Stadium redevelopment

Cord1936

Texas Stadium redevelopment

Postby Cord1936 » 18 Jul 2017 10:41

Houston-based Webber building bridge to Texas Stadium site in Dallas
By Katherine Feser, Houston Chronicle, Published 9:04 am, Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Webber, a Houston-based construction company, has been selected to construct a signature bridge over Texas Highway 114 that would link the DART rail line with the former Texas Stadium site in Irving.

The site, near the DART Orange Line, has been identified as one of the largest redevelopment opportunities in the North Texas region. The stadium, which was demolished in 2010, served as the home to the Dallas Cowboys until the team relocated to new digs in Arlington in 2009.

The bridge will replace Texas Plaza Drive Bridge, which was torn down in 2010 to make way for the expansion of Texas 114 and Loop 12 by the Texas Department of Transportation.

The project, bid at $39 million, is made up of a 235-foot main bridge, an east bound frontage road spanning 156 feet, and a west bound frontage road spanning 180 feet, according to Webber. The top of the bridge is designed to have two pedestrian areas covered by canopies with seating areas and vegetation. The bridge will have on and off ramps to Texas 114.

Webber, a division of Madrid-based Ferrovial, expects to start construction the first week of September with completion targeted by late Spring 2019.

Article: http://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Houston-based-Webber-to-build-bridge-to-former-11294107.php?ipid=hpctp

cowboyeagle05

Re: Texas Stadium redevelopment

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Jul 2017 11:09

Now I get this project more than I did before. I had forgotten this is also a car access project which is why they are building it now. If it was just a pedestrian bridge I would have wondered what is costing 39million and why build it now without development on either side. Having the access roads connected properly is something that will encourage developers to get off the ground faster.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jul 2017 11:49

They mention connecting the site to the DART rail line, but is there a station there? The only thing I see is the University of Dallas station, but this bridge wouldn't connect the site to that station (I don't believe).

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 Jul 2017 12:04

I saw this in the DBJ today... Not sure if this has any legs or not, but would make a great project for the Texas Stadium site. When you consider the demographics of Las Colinas I think it would be well supported here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... -help.html

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Jul 2017 12:40

^hummmm, I'd still rather see this area, Regal Row-Trinity River Park-Stadium Site-Univ of Dallas, turn into a resident-heavy stretch of city, sandwiched between the regions biggest employment centers, Downtown Dallas and Las Colinas.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 Jul 2017 14:09

Resident heavy to me basically means apartments, apartments and more apartments. It's really a mixed-use site which is what this development calls for. It indicates hotels, shopping, office, residential and restaurants in addition to the stadium. I think that idea is far superior and much more meaningful to the City than heavy residential. I will tell you that I reached out to a few people at the City. They not only are aware of the project but they are definitely in the running!

muncien

Postby muncien » 19 Jul 2017 14:55

You are right about the demographics supporting this. Las Colinas/Valley Ranch have a huge south asian population and even a Dalai Lama statue nearby. You can find a casual cricket game going on routinely at various parks, or even in the middle of the street in certain neighborhoods. I'd really love for this area to take off according to the site plans, but I can't help but feel it'll look just like it does today, ten years from now. Irving is pretty terrible at pulling off 'big' things, and this is quite easily the biggest since the initial Urban Center plans.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 21 Jul 2017 12:24

DPatel304 wrote:They mention connecting the site to the DART rail line, but is there a station there? The only thing I see is the University of Dallas station, but this bridge wouldn't connect the site to that station (I don't believe).

The guts for a future in-fill station are already in place at this location, built when Orange Line was constructed. There are 3 possible infill stations along the Orange Line.
Last edited by Alex Rodriguez on 21 Jul 2017 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 21 Jul 2017 12:29

Untitled.png
Its Right here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex Rodriguez

Postby Alex Rodriguez » 21 Jul 2017 12:41

BTW the other two infill locations are right here and here. The footing for the platform has already been built at all 3 locations.
Untitled2.png
Untitled3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Jul 2017 13:21

^^^
Yup... And that bottom image (Carpenter Ranch Station) is being built out as part of the Verizon/Pioneer/Hidden Ridge area. I suspect we are at least a few months out from the actual station construction.

Also... you can find many of the parts for the Carpenter Ranch station stacked in a field adjacent to Bachman Station. If you remember, that station wasn't originally supposed to be deferred like the previous two, but was done so due to cost/time constraints later on. The steel looks in rough shape, but hopefully it's still useful.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Jul 2017 13:38

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:They mention connecting the site to the DART rail line, but is there a station there? The only thing I see is the University of Dallas station, but this bridge wouldn't connect the site to that station (I don't believe).

The guts for a future in-fill station are already in place at this location, built when Orange Line was constructed. There are 3 possible infill stations along the Orange Line.

Got it, thanks for the images. That's pretty cool, I've been waiting for some more transit oriented development to start occurring.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 04 Oct 2020 14:41

This bridge between nothingness has been coming along over the summer.

It looks really silly in person, like it's a model-train sized bridge. It's trying to capture the grandeur of larger bridges, but its small size makes it look like a toy.