Plano: Willow Bend Mall

Addison

Re: Plano: Willow Bend Mall

Postby Addison » 02 May 2023 16:47

The traffic impact from apartments will be no worse than it was when Willow Bend was a vibrant mall.

Addison

Postby Addison » 02 May 2023 16:51

Proquest20 wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:
City officials want to prevent another dead mall like Collin Creek became.

Collin Creek, when it closed, had about as many open stores as Willow Bend has now. It's always been a dying mall, like even when Apple was there, you didn't need an appointment, you could just walk in.

The only real reason why they don’t close the mall is likely that it still has all its anchors and that it doesn’t look like a dated eyesore from the outside, like Collin Creek did, aside from the theatre that was built and never opened.
I remember when Sears closed at Collin Creek, they didn’t even turn the lights on in the main mall areas anymore.

The only real reason is demographics. The surrounding area has amongst the largest concentration of wealth in DFW aside from Park Cities and Southlake, and also a huge concentration of highly-paid office workers in the daytime.

The area around Collin Creek has traditionally been more working/middle class bedroom community (thus less buying power).
l

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 May 2023 17:01

Addison wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:Collin Creek, when it closed, had about as many open stores as Willow Bend has now. It's always been a dying mall, like even when Apple was there, you didn't need an appointment, you could just walk in.

The only real reason why they don’t close the mall is likely that it still has all its anchors and that it doesn’t look like a dated eyesore from the outside, like Collin Creek did, aside from the theatre that was built and never opened.
I remember when Sears closed at Collin Creek, they didn’t even turn the lights on in the main mall areas anymore.

The only real reason is demographics. The surrounding area has amongst the largest concentration of wealth in DFW aside from Park Cities and Southlake, and also a huge concentrarion of highly-paid office workers in the daytime.

The area around Collin Creek has traditionally been more working/middle class (thus less buying power).
l

If you remember Collin Creek, it was quite an eyesore, with the surface parking lots decomposing and with all the anchor stores being empty. That’s not really an issue at Willow Bend, even when the old Saks was still up the mall appeared healthy from the outside.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 03 May 2023 13:37

Knife Butcher has been wallboarded off, and the Knife Burger is closed too. Restaurant still open and seemed to be doing well.

H&M is very busy for a Wednesday, but I assume with the Stonebriar location under renovation that’s why. Actually got a few things too!

Makeshift security location by the food court. Restoration Hardware signage reflects the rebrand to RH.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 03 May 2023 14:23

Interesting thing was that a lot of shops were unattended, but still had their doors open. Even some of the brand name shops.

Francescas was having their closing sale.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 04 May 2023 09:41

If you remember Collin Creek, it was quite an eyesore, with the surface parking lots decomposing and with all the anchor stores being empty. That’s not really an issue at Willow Bend, even when the old Saks was still up the mall appeared healthy from the outside.

Completely agree with that. I'd go farther and say I remember Collin Creek in the 90's and 2000s, and it was always an extremely ugly eyesore. The parking lots even when it was full were way oversized, and the random lumpiness of them due to the elevation changes, coupled with the 'down in a hole' feeling driving up from every direction made it look dreadful. The sidewalks around half-way complete allowing no connection to the neighborhood, and the entryways just empty randomly mowed fields, and those drainage tunnels done as cheaply as possible. From a design perspective, always terrible.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 20 May 2023 21:16

https://www.shopwillowbend.com/store/mi ... ams-pop-up

Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams will be hosting a pop-up to to get rid of discounted furniture (like returns, slightly damaged, etc;) - practically an outlet shop.

Casa Linda

Postby Casa Linda » 30 May 2023 16:00

NTPA is the best thing about the mall.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 31 May 2023 16:40

Casa Linda wrote:NTPA is the best thing about the mall.

What brings me to the mall more than anything is having Crate & Barrel, RH, Z Gallerie, and Mitchel Gold & Bob Williams all in the same place. Mexican Bar Co. and Knife are really good too, still need to try Terra, considering I’ve heard great things about it.

Used to love the Vineyard Vines store here, but now I just go to the NorthPark one. Need to check out the PGA Resort location when it opens in the future. And I still think there’s a lot of stores not in the DFW (or more specifically, Collin County) market yet that would look neat at Willow Bend

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 20 Jun 2023 16:34

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... utType=amp

Wow. So essentially the stores that do well only bring in traffic through events, rather than relying on the mall’s foot traffic. Some businesses are down to one or two employees. Destination stores such as the furniture stores and Neiman’s do well as people will come to Willow Bend specifically for them.

Addison

Postby Addison » 20 Jun 2023 17:40

Proquest20 wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2023/06/20/shops-at-willow-bend-store-owners-fret-survival-while-developer-plots-multi-year-overhaul/?outputType=amp

Wow. So essentially the stores that do well only bring in traffic through events, rather than relying on the mall’s foot traffic. Some businesses are down to one or two employees. Destination stores such as the furniture stores and Neiman’s do well as people will come to Willow Bend specifically for them.

Increasingly, the Galleria's tenants and management need to be having a similar "Come to Jesus"

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 20 Jun 2023 21:51

Addison wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2023/06/20/shops-at-willow-bend-store-owners-fret-survival-while-developer-plots-multi-year-overhaul/?outputType=amp

Increasingly, the Galleria's tenants and management need to be having a similar "Come to Jesus"

The Galleria will continue to limp along as long as they continue to have strong holiday seasons and mixed use developments. Some of the new additions to the mail are huge, like the Louis Vuitton expansion and the addition of North Italia. Willow Bend, on the contrary, bleeds out big name tenants while adding local ones that typically last four months at most.

I don’t think the Galleria will ever become a “high-end” shopping destination again, especially as Nordstrom cut the majority of their designer inventory there, however, as the mall in a business-centric district, I believe it’ll do fine. It’s still the only mall in Dallas (save for Park Lane) where you can have a “normal mall experience” otherwise you’d have to travel to Town East or Firewheel.

Casa Linda

Postby Casa Linda » 25 Jun 2023 11:24

Local residents I know 100% support this change. Either this, or the mall will die. Half of it needs to go.

I visit Willow Bend quite often as we're super involved with North Texas Performing Arts. Everyone should go! https://ntpa.org/

We have every opportunity to shop there a lot, but don't. The parking garages are great. Crate and Barrel and the full size restaurants get our business, esp CPK, and Milk Bubbles (hah). Used to go to the surfing place, but that's about it. I/we don't like long malls that take forever to walk. North Park is awesome due to the loop, events, layout, parking (to some extent I used to like the circles of Town East / Valley View).

Stonebriar has evolved by adding hotel, library branch, many restaurants around it, has a theater, Kidzania, (very limited clientele- only went once), D&B, and so on. It's a destination.

Willow Bend opened without a food court or theater, and was just a "fashion mall" in the beginning. That's not enough to survive and was destined to fail. There's a lot of money in that area, but too many older people that don't go to malls a lot. WB needs to cater more to families. At least it smells good.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 25 Jun 2023 13:46

Casa Linda wrote:Local residents I know 100% support this change. Either this, or the mall will die. Half of it needs to go.

I visit Willow Bend quite often as we're super involved with North Texas Performing Arts. Everyone should go! https://ntpa.org/

We have every opportunity to shop there a lot, but don't. The parking garages are great. Crate and Barrel and the full size restaurants get our business, esp CPK, and Milk Bubbles (hah). Used to go to the surfing place, but that's about it. I/we don't like long malls that take forever to walk. North Park is awesome due to the loop, events, layout, parking (to some extent I used to like the circles of Town East / Valley View).

Stonebriar has evolved by adding hotel, library branch, many restaurants around it, has a theater, Kidzania, (very limited clientele- only went once), D&B, and so on. It's a destination.

Willow Bend opened without a food court or theater, and was just a "fashion mall" in the beginning. That's not enough to survive and was destined to fail. There's a lot of money in that area, but too many older people that don't go to malls a lot. WB needs to cater more to families. At least it smells good.

Feel like i used to see and hear a lot of advertisements for Crayola in Willow Bend, but don’t anymore. Willow Bend desperately needs hotel/office space, as well as attractions with a much broader appeal, in order to survive.

Addison

Postby Addison » 25 Jun 2023 20:59

Proquest20 wrote:
Casa Linda wrote:Local residents I know 100% support this change. Either this, or the mall will die. Half of it needs to go.

Feel like i used to see and hear a lot of advertisements for Crayola in Willow Bend, but don’t anymore. Willow Bend desperately needs hotel/office space, as well as attractions with a much broader appeal, in order to survive.

I actually saw a billboard for the Crayola Experience the other day headed south on DNT, just past PGBT.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 26 Jun 2023 01:04

So what I want to know is, what happened to the talks of finishing the movie theatre? Have they given up on it or are they still looking for an operator for it?

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 23 Jul 2023 14:19

Was just talking to my friend who worked on management level for Vineyard Vines. He said that the WB location got to skip out on rent, and so did Anthropologie. Neimans also got/gets to skip rent payments occasionally to keep some sort of steady traffic.
This was also the worst preforming VV in the chain.

luxeshop97

Postby luxeshop97 » 23 Jul 2023 15:48

acclar11 wrote:Was just talking to my friend who worked on management level for Vineyard Vines. He said that the WB location got to skip out on rent, and so did Anthropologie. Neimans also got/gets to skip rent payments occasionally to keep some sort of steady traffic.

Neimans has a lot of power over the mall since they own their building. The “rent” is basically for the land and to be a featured marquee for the shopping center. Neimans is arguably the most successful tenant there so management should proceed with caution when it comes to rent. I could very well see Neimans relocating in the future to Southlake, PGA, or even Stonebriar at the former Sears. Neimans still does well, so it’s clear they’re not in a rush and it still gives willowbend some degree of cache…not much but some. I think if the redevelopment plans come to fruition then Neimans would stay and maybe attract more tenants. I think the mall should focus more on ammenities or restaurants at this point. There’s plenty of shopping in Dallas.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 23 Jul 2023 20:06

luxeshop97 wrote:
acclar11 wrote:Was just talking to my friend who worked on management level for Vineyard Vines. He said that the WB location got to skip out on rent, and so did Anthropologie. Neimans also got/gets to skip rent payments occasionally to keep some sort of steady traffic.

Neimans has a lot of power over the mall since they own their building. The “rent” is basically for the land and to be a featured marquee for the shopping center. Neimans is arguably the most successful tenant there so management should proceed with caution when it comes to rent. I could very well see Neimans relocating in the future to Southlake, PGA, or even Stonebriar at the former Sears. Neimans still does well, so it’s clear they’re not in a rush and it still gives willowbend some degree of cache…not much but some. I think if the redevelopment plans come to fruition then Neimans would stay and maybe attract more tenants. I think the mall should focus more on ammenities or restaurants at this point. There’s plenty of shopping in Dallas.

I hope they can maybe build a smaller footprint store like the Fort Worth one at the Shops at Legacy or Legacy West. Maybe even Grandscape could be a good location as well as they already have Scheels and not a higher fashion anchor.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 23 Jul 2023 20:08

The only stores doing well are the destination stores (RH/C&B/MG&BW/NM), and if they don’t pay rent it doesn’t really matter because they only need a few sales to hit their goals. But really they need to tear down the north part of the outdoor mall and build attractions with general appeal. There’s enough dining options in Plano as well so I doubt the District will gain more traction.

I liked that Vineyard Vines though, but the PGA District and NorthPark are just as convenient. I could have seen them opening at the Galleria too.
Last edited by Proquest20 on 23 Jul 2023 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 23 Jul 2023 20:15

I also bet local businesses at Willow Bend pay next to nothing in rent. Real estate is expensive in West Plano and the mall needs to keep the illusion that it’s not dead, by filling the corridors with literally anything.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 23 Jul 2023 20:29

Another interesting thing that’s been said before, but a lot of the smaller businesses at Willow Bend do not follow traditional business models. Most of them generate most of their traffic through events, such as Rebel having meet and greets with Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders or the Art Gallery having live music and gallery walks.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 23 Jul 2023 20:43

Willow Bend does have enough space to accommodate plenty of retailers, especially ones new to market that would likely bring lots of business to the centre, like putting a Uniqlo in the Forever 21 space, but at this point, there’s not really any reason for any retailer to open there. They’d just be doing charity work by opening at Willow Bend and not one of the many nearby thriving centres. Even with this new redevelopment, one of the promises made was that they’d finish the movie theatre (which would be good, this opening weekend of several popular movies shows that movie theatres are still relevant) but who would willingly operate a movie theatre in a dead mall that will be even deader by the time any redevelopment takes place? The iPic in Fairview is also in a dead mall, behind the JCPenney, and seems to be doing great when I go there, so maybe opening one at Willow Bend isn’t such a bad idea.

I think they messed up with the revamp that happened, by totally disregarding the retail aspect of the mall. Clearly the mall was meant to still be a mall, yet they failed to support their existing retailers when they had the redevelopment plans to fall back on. Could you imagine if they attracted new to market retailers, while having Lush, Sephora, American Eagle, and other stores expand their spaces? People probably would have a reason to go there over the Galleria or NorthPark. But now no known stores will open at a mall that’s had a failed redevelopment, they should’ve been opening in 2017.

Also, obviously there’s a lot of families in Plano and Frisco, but there’s also a lot of young professionals and a lot of other demographics. When the mall opens a childrens theatre and a Crayola Experience, but not any sort of attractions with a broader demographic, that’s not going to work out well. These places are great, but if you’re not a parent or a kid, it’s a little alienating that the mall has nothing to offer to you aside from retail and dining like every other mall. It was just strange coming from a mall like Willow Bend, which was historically a high fashion mall with more mature stores than Stonebriar or the Parks Mall. There’s a lot of other demographics in Plano and being a high fashion mall clearly ISN’T the reason Willow Bend didn’t survive.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Aug 2023 09:09

Check out new drawings of Plano’s Shops at Willow Bend massive mall redevelopment
Architect drawings display an open-air section on the north side surrounding Dillard’s, updated restaurant row and a high-rise hotel.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... velopment/

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 11 Aug 2023 10:17

Looks good. Hopefully, it will be developed and pan out.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 11 Aug 2023 12:06

Tnexster wrote:Check out new drawings of Plano’s Shops at Willow Bend massive mall redevelopment
Architect drawings display an open-air section on the north side surrounding Dillard’s, updated restaurant row and a high-rise hotel.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... velopment/

I can get behind this. Adding residential to the District and making it a true core to the mall rather than just a row of restaurants is a true necessity, and luckily it's less than half leased so they can do this with minimal impact. I like that, from what I see, there's also a main road that wraps around the district, unlike how now there's just a weird parking lot behind the empty spaces on the Knife side. Would be nice to replace those surface lots with more residential or a hotel. There's a parking garage on the other side of the district so utilize the space that's left over.
Last edited by Proquest20 on 11 Aug 2023 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Aug 2023 12:19

Actually kind of like the look of these renderings. Hope they stick.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 11 Aug 2023 12:28

If the main thing they're doing to the restaurant row is building the hotel and adding some more greenery, why don't they lease the rest of the spaces now?

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 11 Aug 2023 13:23

Goodbye unopened movie theater space, we hardly knew ye.

Also looks like the Crayola Experience is getting the axe... Whole building is gone.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 11 Aug 2023 14:33

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Goodbye unopened movie theater space, we hardly knew ye.

Also looks like the Crayola Experience is getting the axe... Whole building is gone.

Not a bad change as long as they still bring entertainment to the rest of the center somehow - although hopefully with broader appeal. Crayola definitely should've been at Grapevine Mills or another mall like North East or Parks considering it feels awkwardly placed at Willow Bend.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 11 Aug 2023 15:00

Proquest20 wrote:Not a bad change as long as they still bring entertainment to the rest of the center somehow - although hopefully with broader appeal. Crayola definitely should've been at Grapevine Mills or another mall like North East or Parks considering it feels awkwardly placed at Willow Bend.

Being one of the better performing things in Willow Bend I think it could be argued it's everything else that is awkwardly placed :lol:

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 11 Aug 2023 15:48

Where are the images that show the southwest side of the mall is being demolished (where Crayola Factory is)? Looks to me like the parking garage behind the restaurant thing, the blank lot in front of it, and the Dillards are the primary things changing. All of that is on the north east side.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 11 Aug 2023 16:03

The_Overdog wrote:Where are the images that show the southwest side of the mall is being demolished (where Crayola Factory is)? Looks to me like the parking garage behind the restaurant thing, the blank lot in front of it, and the Dillards are the primary things changing. All of that is on the north east side.

This is where the Crayola building currently sits.
wb6.jpg

wb8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 11 Aug 2023 17:02

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:Where are the images that show the southwest side of the mall is being demolished (where Crayola Factory is)? Looks to me like the parking garage behind the restaurant thing, the blank lot in front of it, and the Dillards are the primary things changing. All of that is on the north east side.

This is where the Crayola building currently sits.
wb6.jpg
wb8.jpg

If these things are subject to change then maybe nothing will end up happening to Crayola as there's already inconsistencies between the rendering and the site plan. Being one of the better performing things at the center I doubt they'd kick Crayola out, so if Crayola left it would likely be on their own terms. That end of the mall has most of the "family shopping" with Rebel and H&M there, so I think that Crayola/Macy's Court needs to be leased with more family shopping that leads people into the rest of the mall - as of right now that court is very empty.

As we can also see CPK is gone in the second rendering as well. Maybe they could relocate it to the District so that it's surrounded by other restaurants and not hidden within the mall, although it seems to do good business considering it outlasted the one at Stonebriar.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 15 Aug 2023 02:22

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... OzEtQ48Zr0

Had no idea this was that big of a deal.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 29 Aug 2023 10:28

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 29 Aug 2023 15:54

Kelley USA wrote:Another blow for Willow Bend...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... -abruptly/

That’s such a great space too and one of the few businesses there doing good business. I really hope they have a good plan for it.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 30 Aug 2023 08:51

Man you all are cagey - the DMN owes you all some money! Bob+Mitchell Furniture store is closing all stores due to a financing issue, so the one in Willow Bend is impacted.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 07 Sep 2023 23:17

https://commercialobserver.com/2023/09/ ... rita-mall/

Unrelated to Willow Bend, but seeing that Centennial is planning to redevelop a mall of even larger scale definitely gets my hopes up a little bit more.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 14 Sep 2023 22:51

https://www.localprofile.com/latest/new ... nd-7530717

Some of you were concerned about what the future holds for Crayola Experience and the Plano Children's Theatre, but it does appear that they are supposed to be included within the redevelopment plans.

Theluistorres

Postby Theluistorres » 17 Oct 2023 16:47

Lovesac in willow bend will be relocating to Shops at legacy according to the Shops at Legacy website

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 18 Oct 2023 01:15

The mall only has 98 stores remaining, counting literally everything on their website so when you account for how many of those are services or restaurants, it's way less. There's no way this mall is going to make it to 2025, when construction on the renovations is supposed to begin. They need to come up with something QUICK for what's planned to remain. (Hotel where MG+BW was?)
Last edited by Proquest20 on 18 Oct 2023 01:18, edited 2 times in total.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 18 Oct 2023 01:16

Theluistorres wrote:Lovesac in willow bend will be relocating to Shops at legacy according to the Shops at Legacy website

Perhaps Swarovski, L'Occitane, Brooks Brothers, and J. Jill will all move there or Legacy West soon. Willow Bend is a flea market these days.

nth016

Postby nth016 » 18 Oct 2023 10:15

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... -business/

Looks like they could also be losing the Z Gallerie store in their near future too...

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 18 Oct 2023 14:36

nth016 wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2023/10/18/furniture-retailer-z-gallerie-files-for-bankuptcy-again-and-may-go-out-of-business/

Looks like they could also be losing the Z Gallerie store in their near future too...

Willow Bend’s store selection is just really unlucky, but I don’t see management really making short term plans. Nothing will be there by 2025.

I could see RH moving to Southlake Town Square or Clearfork in the near future.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 27 Oct 2023 00:50

Real Fun Box is having a pop up at Willow Bend

https://funbox.com/plano

Not entirely sure which space but it's supposed to be 25K of square feet.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 04 Dec 2023 00:06

This place is just sad. MG+BW left and so did Z Gallerie, management seems to be hosting a lot of events but yet there are zero short term improvements. The mall may just continue to decay and by 2025 they'll have to tear all of it down, no point in keeping half of it up.

Why didn't Starwood try to court athleisure brands with the opening of Equinox? It would've been awesome if Alo and Vuori opened here instead of Legacy.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 04 Dec 2023 08:26

Tear the thing down!

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 04 Dec 2023 09:27

The first rezoning documents are tabled to Jan 16, but they don't say much other than more 'community outreach'. But that does mean it is moving forward at a relatively brisk pace.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 04 Dec 2023 10:13

The_Overdog wrote:The first rezoning documents are tabled to Jan 16, but they don't say much other than more 'community outreach'. But that does mean it is moving forward at a relatively brisk pace.

Where do you find the rezoning documents? Community outreach is probably what they’re doing now with all the family events, they’ve also been getting local influencers to come and try to make the mall seem nice but they for the most part just show off Neiman Marcus lol. At least this Neimans is actually a really good one. It’s like they know it’s the only reason for people to come to the mall aside from the restaurants, RH and Crate and Barrel.