Plano: Willow Bend Mall

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Plano: Willow Bend Mall

Postby dfwcre8tive » 29 Mar 2017 18:44

New restaurants at Plano's Willow Bend are happy with prime location, just don't mention the mall
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/restaurants/2017/03/29/new-restaurants-planos-willow-bend-happy-prime-location-just-mention-mall

The new Willow Bend food district, being constructed as part of a $125 million redevelopment of the mall, will include Knife, celebrity chef John Tesar's ode to beef; Mexican Bar Company, a new concept debuting in Texas at Willow Bend; and Terra Mediterranean, which is opening its third North Texas location.

Tnexster

Re: Plano: Willow Bend Mall

Postby Tnexster » 12 May 2017 12:43

Plano's Willow Bend mall is getting an office building

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-building

Plano's Willow Bend mall is going into the office building business.

The 16-year-old regional retail center on the Dallas North Tollway is adding a 7-story, 200,000-square-foot office building as part of a $125 million makeover.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 May 2017 15:14

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Oct 2018 03:40

The aforementioned restaurant additions on the site of the former Saks Fifth Avenue are coming along, a couple (Knife steakhouse/Knife Burger, Mexican Bar Co. Cocina) will open in the next week, 2 more (Terra Mediterranean Grill, Whistle Britches) will open soon. Other names mentioned include Acai & Alchemy (in the ex-Saks area, but not built yet) and Ascension Coffee. It will serve not only coffee, but beer and wine--and customers will be able to take their drinkies with them shopping in the mall if they like. There will be 8 restaurants total occupying the former Saks area. The owners are putting $125 million worth of expansion/improvements into the mall. Besides the restaurants, an office building, an Equinox Fitness, and a Cinepolis theater are also coming; they are expected to open before the end of next year.

https://www.guidelive.com/food-and-drin ... 1532816319

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Oct 2018 09:33

I should state this for clarity sake since last time they opened a Cinepolis in Dallas some were shocked. Cinepolis like Equinox is a luxury brand. It will be expensive and some people on here got sticker shock when they went before.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Oct 2018 11:36

It really depends what sort of concept Cinepolis opens. The majority of the Cinepolis theatres here in the US are just standard theatres like the one they opened in Euless (tickets are about $11)- and then they have select locations where they have built their Luxury Cinemas (tickets are about $20). Not sure what concept they will open but probably makes sense to open the Luxury Cinema (especially in the backyard of Cinemark) and considering the demographics of the area. I think Plano has an abundance of theatres, but I can't really think of a great luxury theatre in that corridor with the dine-in reclining leather seats. Closest might be LOOK down the road in Addison.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Apr 2019 09:47

Cinépolis luxury theater opening in Plano's Shops at Willow Bend delayed to early 2020

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... early-2020

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Apr 2019 11:41

Well as malls go at least they are trying to make themselves relevant in this new age of retail.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 19 Apr 2019 19:50

Class A, 27 floors office.png
Class A, 25 floors office.png

All eight spot elevations requested 300' AGL

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 1224&row=0
and so on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 19 Apr 2019 21:41

The current owner is thinking big with his WB purchase. more so than developer Taubman, who is the developer of some of the countries most upscale malls. Bravo to them and I hope to see these multiple 25 floor towers rise up soon.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Jan 2020 10:52

Plano’s Shops at Willow Bend is late on its loan payment

Since Starwood Retail purchased the mall in 2014, it tore down a closed Saks Fifth Avenue and built an outdoor restaurant area

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... n-payment/

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 22 Jan 2020 12:48

Did they ever even manage to fill up that outdoor area? Last time I went, which was not long ago, there were still lots of facades on the structures.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 22 Jan 2020 13:05

THRILLHO wrote:Did they ever even manage to fill up that outdoor area? Last time I went, which was not long ago, there were still lots of facades on the structures.

Every time I drive by, it does not appear to be full. It looks especially strange being that it is a two-story area, so there's lots of temporary covering with two-dimensional greenery on it.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 22 Jan 2020 13:30

THRILLHO wrote:Did they ever even manage to fill up that outdoor area? Last time I went, which was not long ago, there were still lots of facades on the structures.

I think it's about half full... I have yet to eat at any of these restaurants, but they all seem pretty easy to get a reservation at on opentable. Also what happened to the Cinepolis that was supposed to open here? I don't even see anything on the Willow Bend or the Cinepolis sites anymore. Maybe they pulled out??

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 22 Jan 2020 13:53

exelone31 wrote:Every time I drive by, it does not appear to be full. It looks especially strange being that it is a two-story area, so there's lots of temporary covering with two-dimensional greenery on it.

It really does look strange. They probably should have held off on the second floors until they knew they could fill them.

Kelley USA wrote:I think it's about half full... I have yet to eat at any of these restaurants, but they all seem pretty easy to get a reservation at on opentable. Also what happened to the Cinepolis that was supposed to open here? I don't even see anything on the Willow Bend or the Cinepolis sites anymore. Maybe they pulled out??

It's still under construction. They have likely finished putting up the walls by now.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 30 Jan 2020 23:31

Speaking of construction, the office tower, which was promised to be completed by late 2019, hasn't even been started on.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 05 Feb 2020 00:32

Several updates on stores closing soon

Papyrus - https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/24/business ... index.html

Bose - https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/16/business ... index.html

The Crafted liquor store also closed recently, along with the anticipated closing of Forever 21.

I really don't think the mall is doing enough retail-wise. New additions such as the Cinema opening, the District, and the Crayola Experience are nice and welcome, but what's a mall without stores to shop in? Stores do seem to be closing here faster than they open, and the ones that do open are often no-name stores that leave after a year or so anyway. That being said, I'd hope they replace Forever 21 quickly, hopefully with a Zara or something. I've been hoping Zara would come to Collin County soon. I'd also prefer if they could relocate Sephora and Lush into larger spaces. Personally, I'd put Sephora where Baily Banks and Biddle was, and Lush where Crafted was. It would make sense due to the proximity these spaces have to Mac, and they are significantly larger than the current locations. I wonder how long A'Gaci is going to stay empty, that whole corner of the mall seems so dead. That could easily accommodate a store like Nike, which would be a fitting addition as it would compliment the Equinox that just opened.

Also, was it just me, or was there also supposed to be a hotel built at some point?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 05 Feb 2020 09:17

Willow Bend is such a weird story... It's a really pretty mall, but for some reason has always struggled to attract shoppers. Even with the struggles they still were / are able to land quality tenants. I mean Restoration Hardware and Crate & Barrel were big gets but they haven't really generated the additional foot traffic. I think if those stores were more visible and had a presence from the tollway it would make a difference. The reality is, unless you get off the tollway you'd never know they were back there. They should have situated the Cinepolis theatre near the new dining district. Would be a win-win, but I feel like the theatre is also going to get lost because it's on the very back of the mall with almost no visibility.

skeets

Postby skeets » 05 Feb 2020 11:11

We went to Willow Bend once a couple of years ago. Had to practically run through it because of the perfume stench all throughout - candle stores, bed/bath stores, etc. We both left there with massive headaches and never went back.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 Feb 2020 13:11

This mall needs to be rebuilt in a smaller layout and have much more of an open air design.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 09 Feb 2020 21:53

Kelley USA wrote:Willow Bend is such a weird story... It's a really pretty mall, but for some reason has always struggled to attract shoppers. Even with the struggles they still were / are able to land quality tenants. I mean Restoration Hardware and Crate & Barrel were big gets but they haven't really generated the additional foot traffic. I think if those stores were more visible and had a presence from the tollway it would make a difference. The reality is, unless you get off the tollway you'd never know they were back there. They should have situated the Cinepolis theatre near the new dining district. Would be a win-win, but I feel like the theatre is also going to get lost because it's on the very back of the mall with almost no visibility.

I agree. I was hoping the District was going to similar to Baybrook Mall in Houston, in all honesty. At the beginning, the changes to the mall seemed much more promising, but at this point, I'm starting to lose hope in it. The mall itself is still dying, and I wonder how long these restaurants are going to last.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 11 Feb 2020 21:55

An updated leasing plan has been posted.

https://starwoodretail.com/files/30.1_w ... -11x17.pdf

https://starwoodretail.com/files/30.2_w ... -11x17.pdf

Some noticeable changes I see here is that Cinepolis is still opening. Additionally, Anthropologie seems to be relocating to the old Apple space. The place where the office tower is supposed to be is still labeled as The Shark Bar and Grill, despite it being long gone. I highly doubt the office tower is ever coming by this point, especially because the large space above the district is proposed to be used by Common Desk for office space. Oh, and Grimaldi's is coming to The District. I don't think the district has a focus on local celebrity chefs anymore, but this is an odd choice considering there's already CPK in the mall. I'd think they'd relocate CPK into the District instead of adding a second pizza restaurant.

Some changes, like the closing of Forever 21, Crafted, Indigo, Bose, and the other holiday pop-ups aren't reflected on this leasing plan.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Apr 2020 22:36

Plano's Shops at Willow Bend is no longer owned by Starwood Retail

The mall is now in receivership. Starwood wasn't able to refinance their most recent loan. Getting a new owner may take time due to the coronavirus.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... od-retail/

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 28 May 2020 08:13

The website has been edited by the new management, and they seem to have scrapped any information about redevelopment. A few new stores seem to be coming soon, however, none of them are particularly notable.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 May 2020 09:58

Phew this is gonna be a long process unless there is someone waiting in the wings with a check already. New managements job will be to maintain not to expand, develop. Who knows who they may lease to just to keep the property going and keep revenue coming in.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 30 May 2020 22:25

This mall needs more sections torn down and redeveloped into office, hotel, residential and have a smaller amount of retail space.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Jun 2020 10:55

It's like why be at Willow Bend Mall when everybody with money is at Legacy.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 12 Sep 2020 03:16

Aritzia, Wicker Park Home, and New York and Company all seem to have closed. None of the upcoming stores seem to be notable at all.

This is from months ago, but I'm still rather confused as to what is happening with Cinepolis.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... -bend.html

With many other store closures and little foot traffic, I'm beginning to worry that Willow Bend may be getting closer to it's demise.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Sep 2020 16:39

Hmm how long until a new buyer proposes a mixed use project and wants to tear down some of its older sections. This Mall isn't as old as Valley View or Collin Creek Mall but it seems like honestly it would do better as a new trendy mixed use project to compete for the Legacy dollars.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Sep 2020 18:45

The indoor portions need to be torn down and build it into an out mixed use shopping area with apartments, office, hotel, retail, etc.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 14 Sep 2020 09:12

Collin Creek only lasted from 1981 to about 2005. 2005-and beyond it was kind of a half-empty shell.

So Willow Bend opened in 2001, so the 2020s are going to be it's dark period. It's too bad because I think the architecture is actually pretty solid and the parking garages are good. It's just too close to too many other malls.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 14 Sep 2020 09:46

Yeah, I'm not sure what the best solution is for this area. You've already got that similar mixed-use concept at OG Legacy, Legacy West and even that little pocket at Parker and the Tollway near Eatzi's.

I feel like Willow Bend is just in a tough spot, caught between two larger malls to the north and south, and with no real unique reason to visit.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 14 Dec 2020 14:11

"Catch a movie at the new Cinépolis in West Plano? Don’t bother. It’s now an empty shell" - Dallas Morning News

Lease has been terminated, construction equipment pulled out, and an already struggling mall is saddled with a massive amount of new empty space.

Also, this DMN article shows that Willow Bend's already weak Black Friday traffic from 2019 was halved this year--the largest percentage drop among the prime DFW malls.
I don't think anyone should be crowding malls right now, but it's another indicator this mall is in a weaker position than most and possibly not long for this world.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Dec 2020 17:33

Basically now the mall has the stench of failure so its hard to right a ship that far gone. Which big Dallas developer wants to take on a mall that's no where as old as Collin Creek, Red Bird or Valley View.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 15 Dec 2020 09:22

I don't have a membership so I didn't get the full list, but Stonebriar in Frisco was also down 50%, with NorthPark down 48%. Bet the Galleria got crushed as well, so that's all the close competition, each having a larger number of stores and customer base than Willow Bend, and therefore slightly less dependent on Christmas shoppers.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 15 Dec 2020 09:40

The mall needs to be rebuilt as mixed use with way less retail.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 16 Dec 2020 13:44

To me, Willow Bend feels like the biggest opportunity West Plano has to compete with Frisco. Legacy West, The Shops at Legacy, & Granite Park are what's on the west side currently. Frisco is continuing to boom and doing more and more, and all 3 of those Plano developments I mentioned are on the Frisco border. I feel like Willow Bend being redeveloped into a crazy mixed-use project could pull some of that momentum south. There is the IBP at PGBT & DNT further south, so Willow Bend could be a midpoint for Legacy & IBP. I feel like it'd need to be pretty dense, though (in terms of residential).
Additionally, Grandscape (while I don't know how much long term success it'll have) is also pulling some of the draw out to The Colony, so Willow Bend going vertical/mixed-use would have a huge effect on the area (I believe).

But what do I know? Nothing, I just have an obsession lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 16 Dec 2020 14:40

Yeah, for me it's hard to see what Willow Bend offers that can't be obtained a very short distance away. Want a mall? Stonebriar and Galleria are close by. Want mixed-use retail and restaurants? Legacy (OG and West) are just a bit north, and West Plano Village (Parker Rd and DNT) offers a bit of that as well.

Perhaps they try to lean a bit more into office use, and do something like what's at The Star, even though that's basically the same thing as Legacy too.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 16 Dec 2020 16:04

Frisco is continuing to boom and doing more and more, and all 3 of those Plano developments I mentioned are on the Frisco border.

The 'border' is a giant road, and on the Frisco side is what? Ikea and some car dealerships? I don't really find Plano & Frisco comparable in the mixed-use type of development, and the mall is way too far south to take advantage of Legacy's momentum. Legacy is also eating up the office development in this area, and it'll be a while before it is maxed out and office towers branch into other parts of this general corner.

Addison

Postby Addison » 17 Dec 2020 04:06

exelone31 wrote:Yeah, for me it's hard to see what Willow Bend offers that can't be obtained a very short distance away. Want a mall? Stonebriar and Galleria are close by. Want mixed-use retail and restaurants? Legacy (OG and West) are just a bit north, and West Plano Village (Parker Rd and DNT) offers a bit of that as well.

Perhaps they try to lean a bit more into office use, and do something like what's at The Star, even though that's basically the same thing as Legacy too.

About the only thing Willow Bend has going for it is Neimans.

If that location were to ever close, that would probably be the final nail in the coffin.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Dec 2020 09:34

Addison wrote:
exelone31 wrote:Yeah, for me it's hard to see what Willow Bend offers that can't be obtained a very short distance away. Want a mall? Stonebriar and Galleria are close by. Want mixed-use retail and restaurants? Legacy (OG and West) are just a bit north, and West Plano Village (Parker Rd and DNT) offers a bit of that as well.

If that location were to ever close, that would probably be the final nail in the coffin.

Right... and that store must be doing okay, or it surely would have bitten the dust during their bankruptcy.

Addison

Postby Addison » 17 Dec 2020 11:06

Tucy wrote:
Addison wrote:

Right... and that store must be doing okay, or it surely would have bitten the dust during their bankruptcy.

There's definitely more than enough wealth and a high-enough population density along the DNT corridor to support 2 Neimans. It also helps that Neimans doesn't have to compete with Saks or Bloomingdales.

Besides, there's nowhere else other than Willow Bend for Neimans to fit in a 2nd store. Stonebriar Mall and Legacy have no space while the Galleria would be too close to Northpark.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Dec 2020 13:40

There could easily be space for Nieman Marcus at Stonebriar.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 17 Dec 2020 14:16

Did they ever fill up the Sears building at Stonebriar? It's been a while since I've been there and I remember that was closing.

Addison

Postby Addison » 17 Dec 2020 15:02

Tucy wrote:There could easily be space for Nieman Marcus at Stonebriar.

THRILLHO wrote:Did they ever fill up the Sears building at Stonebriar? It's been a while since I've been there and I remember that was closing.

Hmmm, the vacant Sears space didn't even occur to me.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Dec 2020 17:11

Not to mention, if Nieman Marcus wants to place a store at Stonebriar, Stonebriar will find a place for them. There are several options (and it would probably be new construction even if they went to the Sears location)
Last edited by Tucy on 20 Dec 2020 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 18 Dec 2020 11:39

I’d like a Bloomingdales to take the old Sears space at SB.

WB needs lots of housing and a mixture of retail, hotel and office.

Addison

Postby Addison » 19 Dec 2020 16:40

When Bloomingdales comes back to DFW, they're going to most likely seek out a smaller format (similar to the Macy's in Southlake) than their traditional stores, since the reason they left in the first place was because they couldn't compete with Neiman Marcus.

The articles below strongly suggest this:

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/styl ... s-72793747

https://wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/be ... 203456889/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Dec 2020 17:55

Would be a good department store to have downtown/uptown.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 13 Jan 2021 13:22

Welp... more notable stores have closed/are closing, including Ascension Annex, Sephora, and Hollister. As mentioned previously, the Cinepolís isn’t going to open anymore. At this point, I doubt Willow Bend is going to survive through 2021, and redevelopment probably isn’t a possibility for the time being considering that there isn’t anything left to save there at this point. Most of the other notable stores are probably going to end up following as well, whether they just close or relocate to other parts of Plano. This really sucks, there was a lot of potential in The Shops at Willow Bend last year, even with the Forever 21 and Apple closures, but now all we can do is let it finish it’s life and have it follow the same path that Collin Creek did. Would’ve liked for them to bring Zara and Uniqlo into the old Forever 21 and Agaci spaces, respectively.

I understand that this pandemic, along with other current events, haven’t been kind to retail in general, however, I still worry that while NorthPark, Galleria, and Stonebriar will be able to recover in the future, Willow Bend will not be able to.