The Colony: Grandscape

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Mar 2017 15:17

Buffett-backed Grandscape bringing retail-centric addition to massive $1.5B project

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... j=77730761

Nebraska Furniture Mart-anchored mixed-use development Grandscape will soon get a retail-centric addition as developers get underway with a new lifestyle center.

The massive $1.5 billion project — backed by business magnate Warren Buffett — will get the addition north of Omaha, Nebraska-based Nebraska Furniture Mart in the more than 400-acre mixed-use project in The Colony.

Tnexster

Re: The Colony: Grandscape

Postby Tnexster » 28 Mar 2017 15:11

Buffett-backed Grandscape to get new 100-acre centerpiece to create a place 'like no other'

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... -acre.html

Grandscape — the Warren Buffett-backed $1.5 billion, 433-acre mixed-use development in The Colony — will get a new centerpiece to the Nebraska Furniture Mart-anchored project: A 100-acre lifestyle center.

The lifestyle center, which is about the size of Toyota North America's new corporate campus at Plano's Legacy West, will bring roughly 1.5 million square feet of residential office and a number of attractions to this part of The Colony, Jeff Lind, president of Grandscape, told the Dallas Business Journal.

DAFW

Postby DAFW » 26 Jun 2018 02:46

Originally Posted by Warrior2015:
Hey didn't see a thread about this development. Honestly from the renderings, it looks as if this could be a great unique development. Here's a 3 minute video showing what it's going to look like. https://youtu.be/-uHpjiHRwNs

https://youtu.be/-uHpjiHRwNs

In one word to describe that retail strip in Grandscape, it would have to be Incredible. If you haven't seen the video. please take the time to watch it. I'm pretty shocked, it looks like its going to be really cool... I'd also love to see what everyone else thinks, The Outdoor "Zero Gravity" track is probably my favorite touch. Or maybe its the below ground jungle area(?) whew!

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 26 Jun 2018 08:34

Didn't see the zero gravity track in the rendering, not sure what that is.

Looks nice. I'm curious to see how it ends up being received. There's tons of retail centers close by with Stonebriar, Shops and Legacy and Legacy West. Will this make something like Stonebriar obsolete, will everything be able to coexist?

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 26 Jun 2018 09:43

exelone31 wrote:Didn't see the zero gravity track in the rendering, not sure what that is.

Looks nice. I'm curious to see how it ends up being received. There's tons of retail centers close by with Stonebriar, Shops and Legacy and Legacy West. Will this make something like Stonebriar obsolete, will everything be able to coexist?

They say that they are bringing in mostly all retailers that aren't already in DFW. So it's going to have unique retailers and not the traditional retailers like you see everywhere else.

DAFW

Postby DAFW » 26 Jun 2018 14:46

Here is what i was talking about,

The neon green and yellow structure in the left side of the image is a zero-gravity track, If you've been to Main Event (quick example I could think of) they have this similar thing except it is indoors. Basically you are put in a harness and suspended to the top of the track by a rope, then you can walk freely around the designated track, and if you slip or fall while completing an obstacle, the rope will be there to catch you. This one looks much cooler though because you can traverse throughout the trees and down the retail strip! Quite an experience.

They say that they are bringing in mostly all retailers that aren't already in DFW. So it's going to have unique retailers and not the traditional retailers like you see everywhere else.

I also love that they are doing this because the super cool amenities and exclusive shops are going to secure Grandscape as a VERY unique destination spot for people of all ages. Neither Stonebriar, The Shops of Legacy or Legacy West is doing anything like this. If anything Grandscape will have the upper hand. Brilliant

As for Stonebriar becoming obsolete... It's impossible because the retailers at Stonebriar arent the same ones you will find at Grandscape, its a completely new and different shopping experience that shouldn't take away from the existing shopping centers in the area.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 27 Jun 2018 10:10

DAFW wrote:

Here is what i was talking about,

The neon green and yellow structure in the left side of the image is a zero-gravity track, If you've been to Main Event (quick example I could think of) they have this similar thing except it is indoors. Basically you are put in a harness and suspended to the top of the track by a rope, then you can walk freely around the designated track, and if you slip or fall while completing an obstacle, the rope will be there to catch you. This one looks much cooler though because you can traverse throughout the trees and down the retail strip! Quite an experience.

I also love that they are doing this because the super cool amenities and exclusive shops are going to secure Grandscape as a VERY unique destination spot for people of all ages. Neither Stonebriar, The Shops of Legacy or Legacy West is doing anything like this. If anything Grandscape will have the upper hand. Brilliant

As for Stonebriar becoming obsolete... It's impossible because the retailers at Stonebriar arent the same ones you will find at Grandscape, its a completely new and different shopping experience that shouldn't take away from the existing shopping centers in the area.

Exactly ! When I watched the animation video of this project I fell in love lol The scheels store will feature a 65-foot Ferris wheel and a 16,000-gallon saltwater aquarium that will open in 2020. Pretty unique

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Jun 2018 10:22

Wow! I had no idea the masterplan for Grandscape was so Grand (for lack of a better word). This looks incredible!

SMU_L1848

Postby SMU_L1848 » 09 Oct 2018 16:21

Interesting looking development on destination Dr behind Nebraska furniture mart. Barn style restaurant. Anyone know anything about it?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 09 Oct 2018 18:57

SMU_L1848 wrote:Interesting looking development on destination Dr behind Nebraska furniture mart. Barn style restaurant. Anyone know anything about it?

I could be wrong, but I think that's the Truck Yard.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Sep 2019 13:43

Sony to unveil first Texas digital cinema at Grandscape in The Colony

Galaxy Theater is due to open next spring, with 15 screens.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... olony.html

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 27 Sep 2019 16:10

Cinemark West Plano is one of the best theaters in DFW. I'm interested in seeing how well this will compete with it.

I can't read the article, but is there anything notable about this chain?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 29 Sep 2019 11:56

I've actually not heard of Galaxy before, maybe someone else will know (in the meantime I'll do a quick Google...).

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 29 Sep 2019 13:05

www.galaxytheatres.com
didn't offer much info. They are mostly in the west, with their only TX market up to now being Austin. They only have a few locations, a couple have IMAX, and they've been around since 1998. I couldn't tell that they do much different than the other chains, just by what's online.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 29 Sep 2019 17:47

The variety of things to do in North Texas continues to grow. The place is really maturing.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 30 Sep 2019 09:21

Here's the DBJ article if anyone wants to read it... On a side note, Grandscape is really going to be impressive when complete!
----------------------------
Sony Electronics Inc. will open the first Sony Digital Cinema movie theater in Texas at The Colony's Galaxy Theatres.
Sony Digital Cinema provides an enhanced experience for premium large-format theaters. Features of the theater experience include Sony’s dual-laser projection system and luxury reclining seats.
"After collaborating on a Sony Digital Cinema auditorium in Las Vegas, we experienced the immense appetite for luxury entertainment experiences first-hand," stated Rafe Cohen, president of Galaxy Theatres. "Having our premier new theater as the lynchpin of Grandscape's innovative lifestyle complex will enhance our exposure among an audience who already values a premium offering."
The cinema, which will anchor the entertainment district of mixed-use development Grandscape, is slated to open in spring 2020. The 85,000-square-foot dine-in theater is expected to have 15 screens.
Sony opened its first premium large-format auditorium at Galaxy Theatres’ Las Vegas location. The Grandscape location will incorporate Sony’s latest 4K laser digital cinema projectors, combining brightness, color and contrast for high picture quality.
"On the heels of our mutual success launching the world's first Sony Digital Cinema PLF together, we are pleased to work with Galaxy Theatres to bring this exceptional and unforgettable experience to movie lovers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area," said Theresa Alesso, pro division president, Sony Electronics, in a prepared statement.
Sony offers a variety of technology options including 4K, laser, lamp, HDR, 2D and 3D projection.
Sony Electronics is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America and an affiliate of Sony Corporation (NYSE: SNE). Sony Electronics is headquartered in San Diego, Calif.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 30 Sep 2019 10:24

My parents live up in The Colony, so this will be a cool place for all of us to hang out when I'm in that part of town.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jan 2020 08:06

Grandscape is the latest shopping center to hit the northern landscape of Dallas-Fort Worth
The $1.5 billion project in The Colony will start to open in March next to Nebraska Furniture Mart, with a new design that’s different from existing entertainment districts in the market.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ort-worth/

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 26 Jan 2020 14:58

Drove by this area last night, and holy hell is it massive. The apartment tower + parking garage going up looks almost like a mini Parkland.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Jan 2020 10:16

It's really really impressive what they're building. This place is going to be unlike anything we've seen here in DFW. It sort of reminds me of some of the great outdoor shopping centers in LA / Orange County. They have an impressive lineup of entertainment / restaurants coming in. Can't wait for the Andretti Karting to open!

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 27 Jan 2020 11:17

I do enjoy what Collin County in general has to offer. I know a lot of people my age (upper 20s) still despise leaving the 635 "wall" but I think The Colony/Plano/Frisco offers a LOT for the age group if you're stuck working up there. There's so many good food and bar options now too.

Unfortunately the rents in the new high rises around there are demanding Uptown prices, making it hard to justify commuting from up there to inside 635 or even Addison area, and they definitely do not build these developments to be super walkable. A crazy big development like this would be a great place for HEB to take the plunge into DFW and make it friendly to walk to.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 May 2020 10:48

According to this article, sporting goods anchor Scheel's opened last week.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... -pandemic/

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 20 May 2020 20:28

Went to Scheels today, holy crap never seen a sporting goods store like that, just massive, it connects to the andretti karting too, between both its almost 500,000 square feet. They have a ferris wheel in the middle of the store lol

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 21 May 2020 00:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpQC3eBa1S4

Just had to look for a video of that... Nothing screams America more than that :D

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 May 2020 13:46

I went this past weekend. Awesome store! We had to wait to get in, but they have basically everything... It's like a better Dick's Sporting Goods and Bass Pro Shop all rolled into one. We left through the back and walked over to Parry's Pizza. Cool little spot and the pizza was pretty good. The whole development is pretty impressive! It reminds me of some of the outdoor shopping centers in LA / Orange County with fountains, firepits, lush landscaping. I'm a fan!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 May 2020 14:57

Hey if you need to replace a dead mall and the demographics are still decent in the area is there a reason a store like this couldn't have replaced something like Valley View? I mean I like more urban infill that's more like what was proposed for the Valley View site but its seems like a store like this would have made just as much sense to replace a good section of the mall. Are the rent prices that different from inner Dallas than out there in The Colony?
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 16 Nov 2020 10:05

I'm sure you've all seen this by now, but a high-rise office project was just announced as an addition to Grandscape. No timeline on delivery as of yet, but it'll be nice to see a TINY bit of verticality in this development. Live Grandscape (the 18-story residential tower) wasn't cutting it for me, so I'm glad to see a few more buildings rising up... :D

Grandscape Highrise Office Project - 4.jpg

Grandscape Highrise Office Project - 2.jpg

Grandscape Highrise Office Project - 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 10 Sep 2021 09:57

Dallas suburb nabs new Ferris wheel that rivals Fair Park's Texas Star

The 180-foot-tall Grandscape Wheel opens today. Each gondola car is climate-controlled and seats up to 8 people.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/ente ... exas-star/

Addison

Postby Addison » 10 Sep 2021 11:17

itsjrd1964 wrote:Dallas suburb nabs new Ferris wheel that rivals Fair Park's Texas Star

The 180-foot-tall Grandscape Wheel opens today. Each gondola car is climate-controlled and seats up to 8 people.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/ente ... exas-star/

Should get a nice view of Mount Trashmore from there.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Sep 2021 12:10

Hopefully this will encourage the State Fair to have the Texas Star improved. Its well past time for it to get some improvements besides just LED's.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 10 Sep 2021 12:50

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Hopefully this will encourage the State Fair to have the Texas Star improved. Its well past time for it to get some improvements besides just LED's.

What, you don't like having your knees pressed up against the stranger's sitting across from you in that little cage?

I wonder what they could even do to improve it without just replacing the wheel entirely.
Honestly, it's probably time.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 10 Sep 2021 17:14

THRILLHO wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Hopefully this will encourage the State Fair to have the Texas Star improved. Its well past time for it to get some improvements besides just LED's.

What, you don't like having your knees pressed up against the stranger's sitting across from you in that little cage?

I wonder what they could even do to improve it without just replacing the wheel entirely.
Honestly, it's probably time.

The wheel should be preserved. Lord knows this city could uses some history. What can be done is change the pods. I don't see why they can't change the bars with glass.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Sep 2021 12:58

I sorta like the open air feel, more fun to feel the breeze blowing than be cooped up behind a glass curtain wall

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 17 Nov 2022 05:45

Cosm, an "immersive entertainment venue", is coming to Grandscape, but no timeline was given. It is supposed to be 1 of several around the US.

https://www.dmagazine.com/science-techn ... ent-venue/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 12 Apr 2023 06:32

PopStroke, a Florida-based chain of mini-golf courses with dining, is coming to Grandscape later this year. The mini-golf course will span 37 holes and it will be designed by Tiger Woods. There are several PopStroke locations in Florida as well as a location in Katy. The Katy dining offerings include a sit-down restaurant, 4 bars, and an ice cream parlor; the article wasn't specific about the Grandscape dining amenities. Construction is supposed to start in June and PopStroke is set to open in December.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/money/busi ... 563724faa0

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Apr 2023 18:43

Designed by tiger woods hahahaha

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 19 Apr 2023 14:57

And yet another Entertainment destination is coming to Grandscape. This concept will make its US debut right here. Currently 7 locations in the UK. Sixes Social Cricket

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/ente ... randscape/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 31 Aug 2023 16:47

Fritz's Adventure is an upcoming center set to open next year at Grandscape. There will be an indoor/outdoor zip line, a ropes course, treehouses, extreme slides, and underground tunnels, among other attractions (according to the article)

https://starlocalmedia.com/littleelmjou ... f0752.html

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Sep 2023 09:37

I'm sure it's part of the overall development plan, but surprised there's not some resort style or hip boutique hotel at Grandscape yet. With all the restaurants and entertainment options, seems like it would be a popular spot.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 23 Sep 2023 08:04

Country's largest hot springs pool complex coming to Grandscape in The Colony

Just when we thought there couldn't be more to Grandscape... WorldSprings, a multi-pool/spa complex on 9 acres, will open next spring. There will be 45 different pools, including hot, cold, Finnish-style, mineral baths, Dead Sea-style, and more. There will be an on-site spa, yoga, and other wellness amenities, plus a cafe.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/ente ... pe-colony/
https://www.worldsprings.com

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 23 Sep 2023 11:18

A Dead Sea Pool. I may possibly float the idea of going some day. ; )

TornadoKegan

Postby TornadoKegan » 06 Oct 2023 02:46

Does anyone know if Portillo's still has a two hour wait around lunch and dinner?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Oct 2023 09:49

TornadoKegan wrote:Does anyone know if Portillo's still has a two hour wait around lunch and dinner?

I drove by on a Saturday a few weeks ago. It was probably about 11:30am. A few people waiting outside, and the drive-thru was busy, but I'd guess maybe a 20 - 30 wait tops. Probably really depends on the day & time though.