Texas Live!

muncien

Re: Texas Live!

Postby muncien » 24 Jul 2018 12:29

"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 24 Jul 2018 13:01

Yes, I've seen the fountain at Victory Park in operation - back when the stadium first opened. Nobody liked having to dodge the water spray in the primary walkway.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 07 Aug 2018 21:47

A new statue was unveiled in the plaza today, dubbed "Going to the Show". It depicts 2 baseball players (hopefully Rangers players!) happily embracing, as they realize they've made it to the World Series.

https://arlingtonvoice.com/arlington/co ... texas-live
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Arli ... 78021.html
http://www.fox4news.com/sports/rangers/ ... ve-opening

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 08 Aug 2018 09:56

itsjrd1964 wrote:A new statue was unveiled in the plaza today, dubbed "Going to the Show". It depicts 2 baseball players (hopefully Rangers players!) happily embracing, as they realize they've made it to the World Series.

https://arlingtonvoice.com/arlington/co ... texas-live
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Arli ... 78021.html
http://www.fox4news.com/sports/rangers/ ... ve-opening

Ah yes, the big hug between Bengie Molina and Neftali Feliz after Feliz struck out A-Rod to send us to the World Series. Man, what a great moment. That's one of those moments you could live in forever, a beaming ray of sunlight before utter darkness.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Aug 2018 08:05

Even though not everything is complete, the complex is set to open up today. The Toadies will be the entertainment at a free concert tonight in the amphitheater area.

Apparently somebody at Ch.4 has never heard of Loews, the hotel chain that will have a property at Texas Live! They spelled it like the home improvement chain instead. I guess that's bound to happen between 2 sound-alike companies.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/texas-live ... -arlington

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Aug 2018 10:31

https://www.centraltrack.com/the-spread-lockhart-smokehouse-heads-to-arlington/

Dallas Has Two Of The U.S.’s Top Southern Restaurants, Lockhart Opens Up A Location In Arlington’s Texas Live! Development And Much, Much More.

...Meanwhile, in news that can literally be described as neat, a Texas whiskey distillery is opening its first bar in Arlington. The Waco-based Balcones Distilling is joining the lineup of vendors at the Texas Live! entertainment complex that’s set to open for business this weekend. The bar will feature a variety of whiskey-based cocktails, made with the distillers’ selection single malt and rye whiskeys, just to name a couple.

Another exciting newcomer joining the fold out at Texas Live! is Lockhart Smokehouse, which is also opening its latest location inside the new Globe Life Field-adjacent complex starting on Thursday, August 9. Following the barbecue favorite’s Oak Cliff and Downtown Plano locations, this will be the company’s third outpost.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DALBruin

Postby DALBruin » 11 Aug 2018 19:03

IMG_E8192[1].JPG
IMG_E8190[1].JPG
IMG_E8189[1].JPG
IMG_E8185[1].JPG
IMG_E8183[1].JPG
IMG_E8177[1].JPG
IMG_E8176[1].JPG
IMG_E8175[1].JPG
IMG_E8173[1].JPG
8-2018-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 12 Aug 2018 02:27

Great pics! Really makes me wonder why there wasn't anything done like this at the Ballpark. Oh I know, the Glory hole or whatever it was, was planned, and the ducks weren't all in a row or something, but still, if you wanted to do something after a Cowboys or Rangers game (up to now), you had to go somewhere else. It shouldn't take 25 years or however long for planners/developers to get their heads out of the sand (or somewhere else the sun doesn't shine...) on something before it all comes together. And please, no more panic-of-1893 type of excuses. We've had more than enough of those.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Aug 2018 11:59

Team owners always claimed that kind of development would happen just because the stadium was built. That the money the city was investing in the stadium would spur that kind of economic activity naturally. Course it almost never did and stadiums rarely wanted to take away parking for bars and venues that wouldn't be selling their high priced sponsored beer selection inside the stadium. As cities started to become annoyed by a lack of promised ancillary development, naysayers about incentives becoming louder and team owners looking to expand their potential sponsorship deals developments like this all of a sudden became a must for a "contemporary" stadium. Not to mention tailgating has changed significantly for the culture. You can't just build a stand-alone stadium anymore. You have to show some sort of additional development that will attract people year round and hold visitors close to the stadium so beer sponsors can keep selling you Miller lite associated with the teams brand.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Aug 2018 12:45

I don't think any of these concomitant masterplans will really meet the potential in Arlington until Six Flags joins the fun and connects the amusement park, convention center and the Rangers pieces of flair.

It's possible that Six Flags could have a profitable, exciting winter season. A Gaylord scaled hotel and event center bridging the amusement park and convention center would be a draw in and of itself. And while I'm thinking about it, one of those synthetic ski surface dealios would be pretty sweet....

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Aug 2018 06:59

cowboyeagle05 wrote:You have to show some sort of additional development that will attract people year round and hold visitors close to the stadium so beer sponsors can keep selling you Miller lite associated with the teams brand.

>ugh!!< If I go, maybe somebody can sneak me some Shiner instead (please)....

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Aug 2018 08:48

I was a Shiner guy myself until I discovered local breweries and most of all Peticolas. Course I went Keto so no more beer just liquor for me now.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 14 Aug 2018 11:50

I hadn't paid attention to the construction timelines or anything, but I'm shocked that Texas Live is already up and rolling. Kudos to the developers for getting all of this up and ready BEFORE the stadium was built, as opposed to a lingering afterthought like we typically see.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Aug 2018 11:04

Well that's because Texas Live was a separate deal from the stadium. Signed on the dotted line months before the stadium was even in public awareness. They found a hotel flag and a plan before the solidified the stadium deal was far long knowing that the stadium deal/planning was in the process.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 17 Aug 2018 00:48

One of the restaurants (they haven't yet said which one) has already had a fire.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/fire-1/ ... -arlington

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Aug 2018 08:42

Fire aka a can of cooking spray exploded and burned two employees...a story that would be ignored if it were not opening weekend. Sounds like the Kitchen wasn't really burned at all just an explosive burn of the nearest skin.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Aug 2018 07:32

FWWeekly's critique of Texas Live! makes it sound like it should be called '$$$$$ Live!'

https://www.fwweekly.com/2018/08/15/tra ... exas-live/

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 20 Aug 2018 08:57

Man, that is a seriously harsh review!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Aug 2018 09:16

I guess the prices should be expected with something like this.

If Texas Live! succeeds, it does so by helping tourists capture a taste of a stereotypic land that exists only on TV and in Nashville bro-country songs. Instead of highlighting North Texas businesses, most of the food and drink joints hail from other parts of the state or seem like focus-group-conjured “concepts” that use celebrities and/or national brands as a draw. The only thing missing from a traveler’s Lone Star State fever dream is the HGTV Fixer Upper couple hawking t-shirts inside a replica of Waco’s Magnolia Farms silos.

...In all this glam, the collaborative ownership of Texas Live! seems to have ignored the millions of people right outside their own backyard, but perhaps the gamble to trap transfixed tourists will make up the shortfall.

Well, I get it, totally understand the disappointed point of view... but, transfixed tourists are a primary customer of Arlington destinations. Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers play for the transfixed, fill their stadiums with the transfixed. The stereotype are what they are, and area businesses marketing themselves have a very strong ally with those stereotypes, especially since they exist on TV and Nashville bro-country songs --- the anticipation is FREE and that's half the battle to attract the tourist dollar.

I would also say the millions of people right outside have some where to go a couple miles from their homes to get a taste of non-stereotyped entertainment. On a regular basis, I, personally, would not head to this Texas Live! deal!!! but on occasion I would totally have fun with it.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Aug 2018 14:26

Yeah, I lived on campus at UT Arlington and what the Arlington resident that I dealt with just wanted the same shopping centers and chains everyone else had and largely Arlington already has in the North and South. They aren't interested in the Bishop Arts type of urban revitalization, or West Village honestly. If the could have gotten Legacy West they would have loved it but oh well. Texas Rangers/Cowboys owners/management aren't looking for some unique urban neighborhood project they want whatever can tap into the everyday Miller Lite beer drinker who will pay for seasons tickets, parking pass, and now drink next to the stadium at Arlington's Back Yard. All the rest just comes across as Dallas snobbery. Just give me my highway, parking spot, and my Chillis and leave me alone.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 21 Aug 2018 09:05

I'm not sure the sports teams get enough 'tourists' to support a full time high dollar experience like Texas Live. The bread and butter is locals going to the games. Sure, the few special events like Alabama vs Florida in Jerryworld probably brings in quite a few tourists, but not sure about your average game.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 16 Sep 2018 23:03

The Star-Telegram decided to hit all the Texas Live! restaurants, and each got a review. Looks like it's a mixed bag, but maybe that's to be expected, with the restaurants only being open a short time, and the replacement Ballpark still under construction for a while.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertain ... 55975.html

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Mar 2019 03:57

The upcoming Live! by Loews hotel by the replacement Ballpark is reportedly taking reservations starting August 27. The hotel will have 302 rooms and 14 floors.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/loca ... 28739.html

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Jul 2019 09:04

Live! by Loews Hotel will officially open Aug. 22 inside Texas Live!

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... -live.html