Legacy West Retail

muncien

Re: Legacy West

Postby muncien » 28 Feb 2018 14:36

exelone31 wrote:
muncien wrote:I have to admit... I was quite impressed with the place when I visited a week ago. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think having one of these in the CBD would perform even better, and put the final nail in the coffin of the tunnel eateries.

I've always thought this was kind of the idea behind the revamp of the Farmers Market, not sure if that qualifies as being in the CBD though.

I do love the revamp of the farmers market. But its location does little to serve the CBD lunch crowd. Many find it a stretch to walk to during the lunch hour, and are unlikely to leave their coveted parking spot just to get lunch. Even with that, it still does well from what I have seen. That is why I think a more verticle version in the CBD would go bonkers. perhaps something of that sort can be incorporated into whatever Headington does with his properties at Field/San Jacinto. Or, even better yet... in place of the eyeball.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 28 Feb 2018 15:49

muncien wrote:
exelone31 wrote:
muncien wrote:I have to admit... I was quite impressed with the place when I visited a week ago. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think having one of these in the CBD would perform even better, and put the final nail in the coffin of the tunnel eateries.

I've always thought this was kind of the idea behind the revamp of the Farmers Market, not sure if that qualifies as being in the CBD though.

I do love the revamp of the farmers market. But its location does little to serve the CBD lunch crowd. Many find it a stretch to walk to during the lunch hour, and are unlikely to leave their coveted parking spot just to get lunch. Even with that, it still does well from what I have seen. That is why I think a more verticle version in the CBD would go bonkers. perhaps something of that sort can be incorporated into whatever Headington does with his properties at Field/San Jacinto. Or, even better yet... in place of the eyeball.

That's a great call to have Headington develop it. The Commissary is amazing (as is pretty much every food enterprise he's involved with), but very very small. I was at the Farmers Market this weekend and it was packed with people, as has been the case the last few times I've been down there.

As for Legacy Hall, I checked it out a couple weekends ago. I went on a Saturday around 5:00 PM. Decided to park at the southernmost end of Legacy West to try to avoid the zoo in the parking garage. I followed the wave of people that were entering Legacy Hall. It's a pretty cool setup, though I only went to try the beer at the bar on the top floor. When I left (around 7:00), it was so crowded that they had a bouncer letting people in a couple at a time. The line at the door went to the end of the block. I'm not sure when the hype will die down, but it certainly seems as though the demand to get in is still very strong.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Mar 2018 21:19

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Mar 2018 21:32

^only as much as Las Colinas was the new downtown 20 years ago.

Downtown Fort Worth has stagnated for decades, it a small employment center compared to Las Colinas and Plano/Frisco, but it's an actual downtown with actual downtown amenities.... just because a lot of people work there doesn't mean it has a sense of place other than Mighty Mighty Suburban office complex!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Mar 2018 21:38

At the end of 2017, there was more than 23 million square feet of office space in the Legacy and Frisco markets, about a half million square feet less offices than in downtown Dallas.

So I guess if you combine Legacy and Frisco then they are just shy of Downtown Dallas.

I'm definitely happy for all the success we've seen up north, but they are definitely reaching with the claim that they are on par with Downtown.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 26 Mar 2018 22:01

tamtagon wrote:^only as much as Las Colinas was the new downtown 20 years ago.

Downtown Fort Worth has stagnated for decades, it a small employment center compared to Las Colinas and Plano/Frisco, but it's an actual downtown with actual downtown amenities.... just because a lot of people work there doesn't mean it has a sense of place other than Mighty Mighty Suburban office complex!

Yes, downtown Fort Worth is a smaller employment center than Las Colinas or Legacy if you combine the entire huge area they are in to the more condensed space of downtown Fort Worth. I think using the comparison of urban center Las Colinas and downtown Fort Worth, downtown Fort Worth still has quite a bit more employees. I think that density makes the difference of making it feel like an actual downtown. You can't replicate that now because its not economically feasible like it was in the past to be to build vertical that much.

That being said, I am a bit concerned for downtown Fort Worth. I lived there and saw a number of businesses shutting down and XTO leaving feels like a bigger deal than people are talking about. The competition from the other employment centers seems to be catching up to them.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Mar 2018 22:52

WilCo wrote:
tamtagon wrote:^only as much as Las Colinas was the new downtown 20 years ago.

Yes, downtown Fort Worth is a smaller employment center than Las Colinas or Legacy if you combine the entire huge area they are in to the more condensed space of downtown Fort Worth. I think using the comparison of urban center Las Colinas and downtown Fort Worth, downtown Fort Worth still has quite a bit more employees. I think that density makes the difference of making it feel like an actual downtown. You can't replicate that now because its not economically feasible like it was in the past to be to build vertical that much.

That being said, I am a bit concerned for downtown Fort Worth. I lived there and saw a number of businesses shutting down and XTO leaving feels like a bigger deal than people are talking about. The competition from the other employment centers seems to be catching up to them.

Downtown Dallas & fort worth need to focus on more than just jobs. They can offer companies a true urban setting. I wished they focused on neighborhood building. Draw folks in there that way.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Mar 2018 08:38

Fort Worth CBD is smaller than many office markets in North Texas. Attached link is a year old, but lays out office markets in this general rank by square footage:

file:///C:/Users/Michael/Downloads/Central%20-%20Dallas%20Fort%20Worth%20Office%20Outlook%20-%20Q1%202017.pdf

Dallas CBD - 33
Dallas Uptown - 13
Greater Downtown sub - 46
Stemmons Fwy - 14
Central Expwy - 14

Cumulative Dallas CBD & Hwy radial - 74

Dallas North Tollway - 22
West LBJ - 5
East LBJ - 17

Cumulative North Dallas by the highways - 44

Richardson - 20

Las Colinas Urban - 9
Las Colinas OfCtr - 16
Cumulative Las Colinas - 25

Legacy Tollway - 25
Frisco - 5

Cumulative Legacy Miracle Mile - 30

Fort Worth CBD - 11

Clearly, the largest business district in North Texas is Downtown Dallas, the consolidated CBD & Uptown... I guess the two will be tracked separate for statistical purposes.

A big employment center does not carry the same cache of opportunity as a downtown. Plano/Frisco is not a cultural or societal destination. You go to work in Plano/Frisco, and you go to Dallas or Fort Worth to enjoy a day at the zoo, museum, theatrical performance, opera, symphony.... We shall see over the next generation or two how exactly a conglomerate of suburban corporate campus sites evolves into a social and/or cultural destination.

Las Colinas got started ~40 years ago, and it's just now being infused with the activities and amenities that mark a social gathering place. I suppose Frisco scored with The Dallas Cowboys training facility, the FC Dallas and the RoughRiders.... but there's a long way to go before that Highway oriented employment center is a downtown.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 27 Mar 2018 10:01

We shall see over the next generation or two how exactly a conglomerate of suburban corporate campus sites evolves into a social and/or cultural destination.

I think so too. You are seeing that now - with the Crayola Experience being added to Plano mall nearby and then the jobs experience/children's museum type thing being added to the nearby Frisco mall next year. They are pioneers and not that great - but the philanthropy to support real museums and cultural institutions doesn't exist quite yet. But if these are successful then someday it will.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 27 Mar 2018 10:06

I think you can add all the museums and cultural amenities you want but it will never compare to central Dallas or central Fort Worth because you can't manufacture history and character. I know both have a limited history in the grand scope of things, but it is still much longer than Plano, which literally sprung out of nowhere not too long ago. This history will always give those two the edge as being the two cultural hubs of the metroplex, regardless of number of jobs and offices.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Mar 2018 10:33

WilCo wrote:I think you can add all the museums and cultural amenities you want but it will never compare to central Dallas or central Fort Worth because you can't manufacture history and character. I know both have a limited history in the grand scope of things, but it is still much longer than Plano, which literally sprung out of nowhere not too long ago. This history will always give those two the edge as being the two cultural hubs of the metroplex, regardless of number of jobs and offices.

I get what you're saying, but it's just different; all the possibilities and potential of turning into a cultural destination exist, we just don't know if it'll congeal.

Simply because Las Colinas on the way between Fort Worth and Dallas, I think that's where North Texas add the next scene, but really, I doubt Plano/Frisco is far behind. I like the idea of two new focal points coming on line back to back or simultaneously, and I like that the two Old West downtowns would be joined by to two new millennial ones. However, Fort Worth is on the verge of a "downtown" awakening, and Dallas is well on the way to rebirth. A similar infusion in scope and scale as Uptown will rise between The Cultural District and Fort Worth CBD; it's already happening but the pace will seem to pick up. Dallas has already made the next step and can actually start thinking about what it's like to be a Big City again versus a place where a lot of people live and work.

The next generation of "city building" belongs to Dallas and starts in Fort Worth. We'll see if Plano/Frisco can pull it together. McKinney, Allen, Parker are going to compete as a social gathering place, too. Certainly interesting.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Mar 2018 10:36

WilCo wrote:I think you can add all the museums and cultural amenities you want but it will never compare to central Dallas or central Fort Worth because you can't manufacture history and character. I know both have a limited history in the grand scope of things, but it is still much longer than Plano, which literally sprung out of nowhere not too long ago. This history will always give those two the edge as being the two cultural hubs of the metroplex, regardless of number of jobs and offices.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think the history or character is really what draws people to Dallas. The revival of the urban core began, mostly, with Uptown which didn't do anything to retain its original history and character.

I think if the developers in Plano could think more long term and work together to make the area feel more cohesive, then they could have something. For instance, if the developers of the Shops at Legacy had planned ahead and worked together with the developers of Granite Park, then we could have seen the two developments feed off of each other with activity. I guess I can't fault them too much because, when the Shops at Legacy was built, it seemed like a pipe dream, so I can understand why they didn't really plan too much beyond their own development. However, Legacy West could have done a much better job at connecting to future surrounding development, but, instead, they've created another suburban/urban area that feels very enclosed and boxed in from anything around it.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 27 Mar 2018 10:44

I see what you're saying, but I don't think the history or character is really what draws people to Dallas.

I agree with this. If there is a city that has neglected its cool history more than Dallas, I'm not aware of where it is.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 27 Mar 2018 10:45

DPatel304 wrote:

I see what you're saying, but I don't think the history or character is really what draws people to Dallas. The revival of the urban core began, mostly, with Uptown which didn't do anything to retain its original history and character.

I think if the developers in Plano could think more long term and work together to make the area feel more cohesive, then they could have something. For instance, if the developers of the Shops at Legacy had planned ahead and worked together with the developers of Granite Park, then we could have seen the two developments feed off of each other with activity. I guess I can't fault them too much because, when the Shops at Legacy was built, it seemed like a pipe dream, so I can understand why they didn't really plan too much beyond their own development. However, Legacy West could have done a much better job at connecting to future surrounding development, but, instead, they've created another suburban/urban area that feels very enclosed and boxed in from anything around it.

Uptown is still within the historical core of Dallas, no matter how new it is. Dallas has been growing from this core since the area first developed. This core includes downtown, oaklawn, to the east greenville area, and oak cliff as well, which developed around the same time. That's what I mean, not necessarily the age of the building, just the history of the area in general. It will always be the central urban core for the area.

My biggest beef with Plano is how disconnected it is from the central urban core and its amenities. Las Colinas is at least a 20 minute train ride and 15 minute drive away. That coupled with finally having some amenities in the area should be enough to draw young residents to the area. Plano will always feel like a bubble because it is so far out of the way and the only access is two tollways. They built it there knowing this and the type of people living there are okay with that fact. In fact, they embrace it because the bubble means much better schools than Dallas and the inner suburbs. If your selling point is your school district, then generally speaking you aren't as concerned with amenities other than suburban day-to-day stuff.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Mar 2018 11:30

WilCo wrote:Uptown is still within the historical core of Dallas, no matter how new it is. Dallas has been growing from this core since the area first developed. This core includes downtown, oaklawn, to the east greenville area, and oak cliff as well, which developed around the same time. That's what I mean, not necessarily the age of the building, just the history of the area in general. It will always be the central urban core for the area.

I see, so you're not referring to the history of the buildings, but, rather, you're saying that, historically, the urban core has been the central hub and the place to be. I do agree with that, but I will also say that I don't think a number of people the metroplex really care. And as places like Plano/Frisco continue to grow, they will care even less and less about Downtown. At least that's been my experience as someone who grew up in Plano and still has family/friends up north. Even with all the growth the urban core has seen, there are still a lot of people who don't really care to venture Downtown and are content with their respective suburb. I know this only describes a portion of the population, but as traffic worsens and Downtown gets more congested, that portion will continue to grow, and, as Plano/Frisco grow and add more amenities, that portion will grow even more.

But yeah, I see what you're saying, and, to a lot of people, that history will matter, but there are also a lot of people who don't really care and will care less as time goes on.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 27 Mar 2018 12:04

Plano will always feel like a bubble because it is so far out of the way and the only access is two tollways. They built it there knowing this and the type of people living there are okay with that fact. In fact, they embrace it because the bubble means much better schools than Dallas and the inner suburbs.

What? Plano is a geographically large city due to annexation the same as Dallas, has been around since 1870, and shares borders with the city of Dallas.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 27 Mar 2018 12:16

The_Overdog wrote:
Plano will always feel like a bubble because it is so far out of the way and the only access is two tollways. They built it there knowing this and the type of people living there are okay with that fact. In fact, they embrace it because the bubble means much better schools than Dallas and the inner suburbs.

What? Plano is a geographically large city due to annexation the same as Dallas, has been around since 1870, and shares borders with the city of Dallas.

Yes, many cities in DFW have been around since the 1870s, but they were never actual cities during that time like Dallas & Fort Worth. It was a town with ranch and farm land around it, like all the DFW suburbs. It has grown now in the last 30 years or so, but it will always be a suburb of the older, traditional hub which is Dallas. Its certainly not a "bedroom community," but that doesn't make it not a suburb. I know this is a recurrent topic of discussion on here.

To the other points previously raise, you are exactly right that Plano can grow its offering and amenities. It is already pretty astonishing how many it has built in the last few years. But like I said, those amenities will always cater to the type of residents the city attract, which is suburban families seeking good schools and "affordable housing," compared to where many are coming from. Those amenities will never be the same as Dallas or Fort Worth. Those are true urban centers that have been urban centers since the late 1800s and the type of residents that seek urban centers warrants those types of amenities.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 27 Mar 2018 12:47

Those amenities will never be the same as Dallas or Fort Worth. Those are true urban centers that have been urban centers since the late 1800s and the type of residents that seek urban centers warrants those types of amenities.

Eh. I mean judging by that, Dallas & Ft Worth can never be 'true' urban centers because they sprang up in the 1800s and Boston or wherever has been around since the 1600s. And if Dallas and Ft Worth can exist as 'urban centers' in a metro area and be 30 miles apart, then Legacy West can be 20 miles from Dallas and be an urban center too, or if like Highlanders there can be only one then I guess Ft Worth has to fall off the list. If you don't like 'urban centers', then 'major population centers'. Whatever. Plano Legacy & Plano downtown and the Telecom Corridor can all be urban centers while downtown, Uptown, and 635 & 75 can be one too.

I don't care about suburbs vs city stuff when the suburbs are more densely populated. I agree that Plano is a suburb, but it's totally subjective stats I use like a legit college, amenities like a zoo, and decent museums. If Abilene counts with all of those, then Plano theoretically could add them too. It only takes money and time.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 27 Mar 2018 13:13

The_Overdog wrote:
Those amenities will never be the same as Dallas or Fort Worth. Those are true urban centers that have been urban centers since the late 1800s and the type of residents that seek urban centers warrants those types of amenities.

Eh. I mean judging by that, Dallas & Ft Worth can never be 'true' urban centers because they sprang up in the 1800s and Boston or wherever has been around since the 1600s. And if Dallas and Ft Worth can exist as 'urban centers' in a metro area and be 30 miles apart, then Legacy West can be 20 miles from Dallas and be an urban center too, or if like Highlanders there can be only one then I guess Ft Worth has to fall off the list. If you don't like 'urban centers', then 'major population centers'. Whatever. Plano Legacy & Plano downtown and the Telecom Corridor can all be urban centers while downtown, Uptown, and 635 & 75 can be one too.

I don't care about suburbs vs city stuff when the suburbs are more densely populated. I agree that Plano is a suburb, but it's totally subjective stats I use like a legit college, amenities like a zoo, and decent museums. If Abilene counts with all of those, then Plano theoretically could add them too. It only takes money and time.

Dallas & Fort Worth are individual anchor cities that were the first in this area, just like Boston was in their area. Yes, Boston has far more history, but its all relative to the area you are in. Being a large center of commerce for an area since the late 1800s is a long time in Texas. They are 30 miles apart and developed during a time when that was a far distance. Big difference of why Fort Worth is not a suburb and Plano definitely is. Dallas & Fort Worth both have pockets of neighborhoods with houses built before cookie-cutter fast builds were a thing. Not as many as Boston or any of the coast for sure, but we are comparing two regional cities, not the entire country.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Mar 2018 13:28

I think it really just goes to show that the line between suburban and city is really getting blurred very quickly, and it really just depends on your definition of what makes a city.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 27 Mar 2018 14:32

I don't mean to use the term suburb with any negative connotation. It is just a term of art. It means the surrounding area of a principal city in a metropolitan area. Dallas and Fort Worth are the two principal cities of the DFW metroplex. DFW is unusual because some of the suburbs of Dallas have surpassed the area's other principal city as employment centers. I think that is where the lines get blurred. I live in Las Colinas and would shut down any non-sense about Las Colinas being its own urban center separate from Dallas too, despite what the city might try to market it as. Fact is, neither Plano or Irving would be there without Dallas. Fort Worth developed independently and has its own suburbs that grew into Dallas's suburbs.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 30 Mar 2018 11:10

Fact is, neither Plano or Irving would be there without Dallas. Fort Worth developed independently and has its own suburbs that grew into Dallas's suburbs.

I agree but I just don't care. Sure, some place came first. That just doesn't mean anything to me in terms of what makes a city or giving it some special 'mojo' over any other place. Sure, I'd agree Plano is a suburb but again, if Ft Worth can be it's own thing 30 miles from Dallas - it is - then Plano or Las Colinas or McKinney or Frisco can too. Ft Worth is different in that it has its own zoo, own university system, own cultural arts systems. That's it. If any of those other suburbs (heck, even Richardson or Garland which are completely enveloped by Dallas had all that, then they are cities too.

I've also always felt that the suburb/city mantra based on commuting patterns is a bit silly, especially with modern suburbs with malls and jobs and schools. Like 70% of a suburbs' workers work within the city limit -we are giving lots of power to the 30% who leave for a job outside the city. Of course its different if it's a true old school suburb that doesn't have many stores and is just a bunch of houses. But those barely even exist anymore.

Also Las Colinas, Frisco, Richardson and Plano all have large net daytime population gains due to incoming commuters. By any kind of communing standard, they are all not 'suburbs'.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 May 2018 21:38

Maybe somebody will take a picture of the Legacy area sometime soon and post it. I am curious how much progress has been made on the latest round of towers going up but I have no interest in actually driving up there to see.

Dragon_Lady

Postby Dragon_Lady » 03 May 2018 22:20

Yes, I, too, would like to see pictures on how that area is progressing as I'm not able to go there often.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 May 2018 20:39

Report: Developer Sam Ware to withdraw request for apartments near Legacy West

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... t-for.html

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 08 May 2018 00:37

Looks like Legacy Hall will attract more than foodies. An outdoor stage area, called the Box Garden, will host concerts and other events.

https://www.dmagazine.com/arts-entertai ... nightlife/

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 08 May 2018 12:03

Tnexster wrote:Report: Developer Sam Ware to withdraw request for apartments near Legacy West

More about the change of plans:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... egacy-west

muncien

Postby muncien » 08 May 2018 12:13

jrd1964 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Report: Developer Sam Ware to withdraw request for apartments near Legacy West

More about the change of plans:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... egacy-west

I love how the rendering has fireworks going off behind the buildings. That's sure to get taken seriously... but I didn't see any uni-cycling jugglers.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 May 2018 22:01

Interesting that Plano residents are against the high density apartments packed into the employment center, not at all surprising, but antithetical to the long term success of their city.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 May 2018 10:41

They are probably reeling from all the traffic all the units/success is creating particularly since there is no serious transit solution on the table besides a few bus route modifications. Everyday citizens tend to be the ones who would rather say tell the city to allow less density than talk about walkability, bikes, and transit. Lord knows let's not talk about how the suburban design scheme actually breeds more traffic than a smartly designed transit diverse designed community.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 May 2018 10:57

Since most of the folks in Plano can probably at least read a spreadsheet, maybe maybe not understand a spreadsheet... but the high density residential units once proposed (something like 1,000 units) would generate far less traffic than additional office space that would hold 1,000 employees. Even better than the less aggravating traffic impact is the dramatic improvement to the destination appeal 1,000 new residents would bring to the JCPenny parking prairies.

whatever

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 09 May 2018 10:58

It's mostly irrelevant if Plano citizens reject apartments, because this is built right across the border from Frisco, which has no problems with apartments, small lot houses, and other types of dense development. When you build your downtown not centrally but on the edge of town you don't get to control much of its build pattern. So Plano will get the brunt of traffic with mostly nothing in return.

That being said, Plano is still permitting plenty of multifamily units and I think Drein Partners might just be a bit in over their heads butting up against city zoning rules (specifically limiting any kind of housing in freeway corridors without buildings as buffers), not just voter sentiment, and being stretched a bit too thin, with Collin Creek Mall and Legacy in Plano as major projects and bidding on Parkland in Dallas. That's a lot of expensive administrative work rather than just buy & build.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 May 2018 11:23

Yes, that was honestly my first concern. Sam seems to be taking on a lot at once. You have to have good leadership in place to juggle that many balls AND have lots of good people working for you to keep things organized and on schedule despite what you may be telling the press when they catch you at a city meeting. Beck cant do it with Valley View and that's basically their only project in front of them. Sam wants to juggle three very large acquisitions and builds in relatively the same period.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 17 Jun 2018 20:29

Update 06/17/2018

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Jun 2018 22:44

Cool, nice to see some pics...thanks for posting.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Jun 2018 07:36

....kinda reminds me of Irvine CA.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Jun 2018 08:32

Kinda reminds me of anything anywhere.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 Jun 2018 09:20

Love this development!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jun 2018 10:57

The main drag is actually not that bad, but they basically squashed any potential of growing beyond that one street because they boxed themselves in with parking garages on one side and Townhouses on the other.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 18 Jun 2018 11:45

The biggest flaw I've noticed thus far with this development is there's not really any common area to hang out. That's been somewhat remedied with the Box Garden at Legacy Hall opening up, but that's all the way at one end. And the only vegetation in that "garden" is whatever you decide to put on your taco or sandwich.

It'd be great if they had an area like Watters Creek in Allen where folks can gather and relax, rather than hustling from store to store.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Jun 2018 12:48

It's what you get when you get a project of this scale designed by a developer with minor influence from city planners, architects and the surrounding public. It means you can get something like this built without fighting over details sure but long term these developments built inside a box turn in charity projects once the new wears off.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 18 Jun 2018 17:28

exelone31 wrote:The biggest flaw I've noticed thus far with this development is there's not really any common area to hang out. That's been somewhat remedied with the Box Garden at Legacy Hall opening up, but that's all the way at one end. And the only vegetation in that "garden" is whatever you decide to put on your taco or sandwich.

It'd be great if they had an area like Watters Creek in Allen where folks can gather and relax, rather than hustling from store to store.

Good point I didn't look at it like that but I knew something was missing.Still a really nice looking development, I just wish there was more than just that one main drag

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Jul 2018 17:03

Plano's $3 billion Legacy West is getting its own CVS store

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -cvs-store

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Jul 2018 17:43

The retail project is next door to JPMorgan Chase's new bank location and just west of the Legacy West Urban Village, city planning documents show.

It sounds like this might just be a standard suburban style CVS that will be next to Legacy West (that's exactly what the Chase bank they are referring to is).

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 03 Jul 2018 08:41

Kinda funny that this is even a headline-worthy story. Legacy West or CVS (or both) have some pretty strong PR ties.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 03 Jul 2018 10:37

Yes, this is a standard drive-thru stand alone suburban CVS. Both it and the Chase Bank next door should be tenants in a multiuse building somewhere else in Legacy.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 03 Jul 2018 11:24

exelone31 wrote:Kinda funny that this is even a headline-worthy story. Legacy West or CVS (or both) have some pretty strong PR ties.

You mean they have Steve Brown's email address? ;)

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Jul 2018 12:24

The_Overdog wrote:Yes, this is a standard drive-thru stand alone suburban CVS. Both it and the Chase Bank next door should be tenants in a multiuse building somewhere else in Legacy.

Yup, this land should have been Phase 2 for Legacy West.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 03 Jul 2018 13:28

I guess if there's one somewhat-positive thing about a CVS going in, it's that it will be the only "grocery" type option that is walkable. I don't know if the powers that be at Legacy West intend for the development to eventually satisfy most of the needs of a resident population, but when Dean and Deluca backed out, that left a bit of a hole for folks to get their goods.

Not sure if Dean and Deluca is a grocery store people would go to regularly, but something to consider.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Jul 2018 14:13

True. I get the feeling that a lot of people living in Legacy West don't really need everything to be walkable. Maybe I'm being a bit presumptuous, but it just seems like an area that is good for people who want to occasionally walk to dinner/drinks/shops, but will likely still drive to a majority of places.

It would definitely be nice to have more things within walking distance, but I don't think lacking a grocery store is a deal breaker for most.