Legacy West Retail

Tnexster

Re: Legacy West

Postby Tnexster » 23 Jul 2018 12:03

New twin tower project going up in Plano's booming Legacy development

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... evelopment

Developer Heady Investments has broken ground on the first phase of its 3-building Headquarters II project at the Dallas North Tollway and Headquarters Drive.

The 5-acre development is right across the tollway from Liberty Mutual Insurance's huge regional campus and will include two 14-story office towers, parking garages and a high-rise hotel.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Jul 2018 13:11

North Texas is really setting the standard for Sunbelt population cities. Fort Worth seems like it's finally getting on the train, activating the pre-air conditioning downtown setting; Dallas has certainly realized a return to the ways of higher population density, and that downtown has a solid foundation, is building an environment for greater and greater population within a fixed area.

Plano, on the other hand, is breaking new ground. No coincidence that there's an apparent culture struggle as the armada of low density single family home neighborhoods that put Plano on the Corporate America map with EDS, JCPenny, Dr Pepper, Fritos, etc is disgruntled that the next phase of corporate campus building requires thorough and hefty infusion of urban into the suburb landscape.

Plano needs another 200,000 people living in townhomes, apartments and mid & highrise dwellings. The trick is finding a place to put all these people. It's Great.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Jul 2018 17:06

If somebody in Plano suggested that they need 200,000 more people living in apartments and other dense residential living situations I am fairly sure people living there would come unhinged. Although it would be fun to watch.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 23 Jul 2018 17:30

Yeah, the idea of Plano adding another 200,000 people in townhomes, apartments and mid & high-rise dwellings is pretty hilarious.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Jul 2018 19:04

:)

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 24 Jul 2018 01:02

tamtagon wrote::)

I think it is less about finding places for 200.000 people to live, rather, how to move an additional 200.000 people on a daily basis.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 24 Jul 2018 08:42

It seems to me that we'll just see a further explosion of residential development all the way up the Tollway to 380. It's already in progress with developments like The Star, Frisco Station, The Gate, there are apartments going up near Toyota Stadium. Add to that the rapid growth of towns like Prosper, Little Elm and the like.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Jul 2018 10:50

I think the good folks living in Plano and administering the municipality will realize the need to pair, bundle and contain the massive employment 'districts' with an equal residential component, otherwise the result will be like downtown Dallas in the decades leading up to the turn of the century.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Aug 2018 12:25

A proposed 10-story, 250-room hotel is being eyed for a spot in front of the JCPenney headquarters complex. The brand has not been finalized but will be run by a Tokyo-based hotel management company. Legacy West already has a Renaissance Hotel plus an upcoming Autograph Collection (Marriott) hotel.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... cy-project

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Aug 2018 21:03

Fort Worth accounting firm heads to Plano's Legacy West with new office

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... new-office

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 16 Aug 2018 15:39

Has anyone ever seen this retail rendering before? It oddly matches up with some of the current retail spaces, and has brands in different spaces that currently reside in the center. However it also has a lot of brands I have never seen proposed for this site.

http://properties.cbre.us/legacy-west/a ... teplan.pdf

Brands exclusive to this rendering:
& Other Stories
COS
Uniqlo
Aesop
Kiehl's
Restoration Hardware
Travis Matthew
PrAna
Roberta Roller Rabbit
Kate Spade
Sea Folly
Big Drop NYC
Birch Box
Stuart Weitzman
Lily Pulitzer
Planet Blue

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 16 Aug 2018 15:52

:shock: please please bring me COS and Uniqlo... :P

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 Aug 2018 15:58

^^ That's definitely super old! I mean we all know now that Restoration Hardware opted to build down at Willow Bend Mall. Even where Del Frisco's is they have it listed as "Steak House". I mean it turned out to be pretty close though. Obviously a number of those proposed tenants backed out. I do know for a fact that this was supposed to be the location of the 3rd ever Travis Mathew store. I had a friend that worked for the company in Huntington Beach. They pulled out long ago and instead opted to open a store in Scottsdale.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 17 Aug 2018 22:24

Some of those stores would have been great for LW!

dch526

Postby dch526 » 10 Sep 2018 16:31

Heard from a friend that Chase is already bursting at the seams and are planning on adding 2-12 story towers to their campus.

DAFW

Postby DAFW » 10 Sep 2018 16:55

oh wow...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 Sep 2018 11:12

So it's finally been confirmed, but Travis Mathew is opening a store in Plano. This will be the 8th Travis Mathew store in the country and the 1st in Texas (another location opening in Austin towards the end of the year). However, it will not actually be at Legacy West which is surprising. Had a really good conversation with one of the store managers in California about their selection process and some of the other areas they looked at in DFW. Should actually be open in 4 - 6 weeks. Cool stores and a great brand! https://www.travismathew.com/retail

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 24 Sep 2018 16:58

The crane has been removed from LVL 29, the 29-story apartment tower adjacent to Plano's Legacy West development. (Tallest building in the Metroplex outside of Dallas and Ft. Worth?)

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 24 Sep 2018 17:36

texasstar wrote:The crane has been removed from LVL 29, the 29-story apartment tower adjacent to Plano's Legacy West development. (Tallest building in the Metroplex outside of Dallas and Ft. Worth?)

Up to now, outside of Plano: Arlington, Irving, Addison, and Richardson have been pretty much the contenders in the taller building race among all the suburbs. I guess this 29-story one would be the top of the list now, without knowing any better.

It's still strange to me that Plano has/will have buildings this tall.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Sep 2018 19:03

that looks nice, right?

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 24 Sep 2018 20:34

I believe Williams Square Central and the tallest at CityLine are still much taller because office floor heights > residential floors.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Sep 2018 20:42

I for one hope the suburban pioneers that transformed Plano back before the turn of the century let go of the past and let Plano turn into a big city. The neighborhoods will be just fine, but let the high rises come to downtown Plano and Legacy. Just silly to build a wall around the 1980s ideals.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 24 Sep 2018 20:49

Even if CTBUH would say it isn't habitable, Mesquite's KEOM at 510' for the sentimental win!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesquite_ ... _Tower.jpg

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Sep 2018 21:18

That actually doesn't look bad and that area needs something that isn't a rectangular box. So for now, this will be the centerpiece at DNT/121.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 25 Sep 2018 18:30

It might be the best looking high-rise built in Collin County or north of 635 for that matter. Certainly taller than over at Denton's TWU. I'm not sure about the tallest at CityLine, though. I think it tops out at around 260 FT. This one might be around 300 FT, which I believe is still quite a bit shorter than Williams Square Central Tower.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 25 Sep 2018 18:31

Thanks for the seriously great photos, TS!

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 04 Oct 2018 00:59

texasstar wrote:The crane has been removed from LVL 29, the 29-story apartment tower adjacent to Plano's Legacy West development. (Tallest building in the Metroplex outside of Dallas and Ft. Worth?)

Poor Steve Brown, late again. But he finally knows that LVL 29 has topped out.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... lest-tower

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Oct 2018 09:37

As Plano is quickly becoming more urbanized with restaurants and retail shops, the number of park areas in town are beginning to decline. This past Monday, City of Plano’s Parks and Recreation presented a master plan to Plano City Council during a public hearing. In the master plan were long-term goals and needs for the city’s park, recreational, and nature facilities, along with new ideas. Among these ideas was a deck park, similar to that of Klyde Warren Park in Downtown Dallas.

The deck park is proposed to be located over the Dallas North Tollway, serving as a link between Legacy Town Center and Legacy West.

As of now, there is no budget set for the proposed deck park. No costs have been estimated and funding has not been granted.

Although there is currently no projected opening date for the proposed deck park, people who live and work in Plano are already elated over the idea.

https://planoprofile.com/2018/10/10/pla ... -park-dnt/

So, aside from this rendering, it sounds like there is still a lot that needs to be done before this comes close to happening.

I honestly feel like this would be a waste of money. Both Legacy West and Shops at Legacy have a bunch of parking garages facing DNT, so a park would simply 'connect' to two large walls of parking garages.

If this had been planned from the start, this could have been a much better idea and both Shops at Legacy and Legacy West could have connected to the park better, but that's not the case.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Oct 2018 09:50

Why wouldn't the tollway pay for this? or at least cover ~half of the price? Tollway folks ought to pay for repairs to Reverchon Park, daylight Turtle Creek.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 12 Oct 2018 13:38

DPatel304 wrote:I honestly feel like this would be a waste of money. Both Legacy West and Shops at Legacy have a bunch of parking garages facing DNT, so a park would simply 'connect' to two large walls of parking garages.

If this had been planned from the start, this could have been a much better idea and both Shops at Legacy and Legacy West could have connected to the park better, but that's not the case.

You hit the nail on the head, this seems like a really backwards way to approach this. They just spent all that time and money tearing up bridges and expanding the tollway, and now the idea comes out for a deck park. This will never happen.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 12 Oct 2018 15:36

It's like a band-aid on faux urbanism.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Oct 2018 16:37

So deck parks are good in Dallas but bad in Plano? There is a hotel on one corner and an office tower on another corner which sounds familiar plus we heard all the complaints about the zero pedestrian friendly walking experience across the tollway that "might" help connect both sides of Legacy and so here it is and is immediately shot down. It appears from the rendering that they at least conceive of eliminating some parking on the NE corner of that intersection to create even more green space. I thought this was the kind of thing that we wanted to promote.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 12 Oct 2018 18:10

I see your point. Overall, it is better than having nothing. The frustrating thing is that these 3 things (Shops of Legacy, Legacy West, new deck park) could have been a really walkable/pleasant/green area with better planning. I work in the area and go to Shops and Legacy West pretty frequently. These developments are all closed off to each other. It's hard just crossing Legacy Drive (dodging traffic) to get to either side of Shops of Legacy.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Oct 2018 18:55

I'd be happy to see more deck parks all over DFW. It's not about it being in Plano that I don't like, it's that both Legacy West and Shops at Legacy have clearly been developed in a way to completely wall themselves off from DNT. That's fine and makes sense, but then, if you're going to wall yourself off with a ton of parking garages, then it seems dumb to try and add a deck park after the fact.

This just feels like they are getting way too ahead of themselves without putting much thought into it. As if a deck park will magically solve the connectivity issues in the area. It's a bit silly to be considering a deck park when you consider how bad the connection is currently from Granite Park and Shops at Legacy. I realize they are different developers, but that just seems like such an obvious place to start making a more cohesive, urban environment. It's also frustrating to see that, right across the street from Legacy West, there is a lone suburban Chase store built with surrounding surface parking. Forget trying to build a connection of the highway, why don't you start by building connections right next door first.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Oct 2018 13:09

I think everyone is right about the wall of parking garages but with that hotel emptying out right into the park and some minor changes to the parking lots on the east side you have potential to create a nice path from east to west. At this point I would not underestimate Plano's desire to make a project happen. Hope they do, these are great solutions to all these highways cutting through so many areas.

DAFW

Postby DAFW » 14 Oct 2018 15:49

I think everyone is right about the wall of parking garages but with that hotel emptying out right into the park and some minor changes to the parking lots on the east side you have potential to create a nice path from east to west. At this point I would not underestimate Plano's desire to make a project happen. Hope they do, these are great solutions to all these highways cutting through so many areas.

I completely agree, I made this quick image to help everyone better visualize that the proposed deck park is actually in a great position to dramatically improve walking connections between the two developments especially since they both empty out onto a mutual street.

I can also see why all the residents and workers are on board, this is a fantastic idea for the area.

Here's an image I just found in the plano parks masterplan that depicts a similar image, and also shows where plans for new parks/greenspace will be. Where it says "Legacy Node" is where the Deck Park is proposed to go.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 15 Oct 2018 09:48

It's too bad the street grid is so bad in that area because more bridges and connective streets would probably be better than a deck park in the mid-term. Also there, just like Klyde Warren, the stupid service roads are way too wide.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Oct 2018 10:58

Kindof a weird park, with a huge road running through the middle, I'm not so sure about that. Hopefully more than two park-nubs on either side of the thoroughfare what's being proposed.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 15 Oct 2018 11:30

Honestly, if they want to truly connect these two areas, their best option would be some sort of pedestrian bridge:

I know this is the type of mentality that eventually lead to the tunnel network Downtown, but given how unfriendly DNT and Legacy are to pedestrians, and given how both sides are developed, I just can't see how a Deck Park would work well. I hope I'm wrong, and they can find a way to connect these developments using something other than a bridge, but I can't really think of anything.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 15 Oct 2018 11:39

Tnexster wrote:So deck parks are good in Dallas but bad in Plano? There is a hotel on one corner and an office tower on another corner which sounds familiar plus we heard all the complaints about the zero pedestrian friendly walking experience across the tollway that "might" help connect both sides of Legacy and so here it is and is immediately shot down. It appears from the rendering that they at least conceive of eliminating some parking on the NE corner of that intersection to create even more green space. I thought this was the kind of thing that we wanted to promote.

I'll clarify my gripe on this one, as I think this area is actually perfect for a deck park. It's just the timing of the whole thing that's really frustrating. They just finished building out Legacy West and expanding the DNT, couldn't have this been incorporated into that timeline somehow? I know this project is very much a twinkle in someone's eye at this point, but who knows how a deck park would have changed the development of Legacy West had they been occurring in tandem. To me, though, it seems like Legacy West was designed specifically to keep people trapped within the their footprint.

I would love it if a deck park was incorporated here, and it would have been really smart to have done that when they were tearing up all these bridges 1-1.5 years ago, but here we are.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 Oct 2018 12:09

How much will the owner of the Legacy developments contribute to this? Actually, the owner should pay for most of the constructions, Shops of Legacy and Legacy West are both single owner, and the same owner, right? There's one and only one corporation lined up to benefit from a deck park, so the city can make sure all the red tape is taken care of, and commit to operate the city park, but really, how much should the municipal contribution be? NTTA and the Legacy owner should pay to build the park.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Oct 2018 12:19

tamtagon wrote:How much will the owner of the Legacy developments contribute to this? Actually, the owner should pay for most of the constructions, Shops of Legacy and Legacy West are both single owner, and the same owner, right? There's one and only one corporation lined up to benefit from a deck park, so the city can make sure all the red tape is taken care of, and commit to operate the city park, but really, how much should the municipal contribution be? NTTA and the Legacy owner should pay to build the park.

I sort of imagine this being some kind of P3 arrangement since it's city of Plano, spans NTTA property and connects Karahan property but I would image a park like this would be a net positive investment that would increase the value of property on both sides not to mention increased interest and investment. So yes, Karahan should be making a contribution and or all we know he is.

muncien

Postby muncien » 16 Oct 2018 09:39

The park will be a great addition to the area, and be nice to drive by on your way through... But, pretending this will be some sort of KWP is just silly. Both Legacy, and those frontage roads are MONSTERS, and while they could technically use calming measures, I am almost certain they won't. Visiting/Utilizing this park will be quite a challenge. I'd love to see it happen, and there is a TON of $$$ being thrown around there, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. But, when all is said and done, it will be somewhat hostile to it's visitors.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 16 Oct 2018 10:59

About 1 1/2 years ago, Plano was seeking funding for a pedestrian/bicycle bridge in this same location. https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort ... ps-legacy/

Does anyone know how the unfunded plans for a pedestrian bridge evolved into this unfunded plan for a deck park?
Last edited by Tucy on 06 Aug 2020 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Oct 2018 13:21

muncien wrote:The park will be a great addition to the area, and be nice to drive by on your way through... But, pretending this will be some sort of KWP is just silly. Both Legacy, and those frontage roads are MONSTERS, and while they could technically use calming measures, I am almost certain they won't. Visiting/Utilizing this park will be quite a challenge. I'd love to see it happen, and there is a TON of $$$ being thrown around there, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. But, when all is said and done, it will be somewhat hostile to its visitors.

My expectations are this would be more a sculpture garden than a useful park. Not that any of the planning documents say that but I equate this project to that of many Downtown Dallas 80-90's parks that were not designed for actual use but simply to look pretty and not attract too much function by the public. Many of the "parks" in the old Belo HQ part of Downtown are green spaces with sculpture and do very little for providing interaction for residents and/or office workers. They are there to look green and detur homeless unlike the new current Downtown Dallas parks are being built for: Outdoor movies, concerts, festivals, playgrounds, interactive fountains that kids will run around and play in, and of course food trucks etc.

The park I see depicted looks more like a corporate office garden that's just there so the neighborhood looks less concrete-esque. I recognize its not the final design but the scale of the park centered around the high-speed bridge is what is the current trajectory of the project is. Klyde Warren even had major public fights about closing streets so that the park would be a larger contiguous block of useable SAFE space. Here we are just talking about landscaping the bridge with a lawn and some plants so the walk is more pleasant.

Is that enough to warrant the expense? Will those lawns be big enough to hold events on? Will anyone want to stop and enjoy the park or will they just walk through as quickly and safely as possible. I am not saying we shouldn't improve the walking experience across this bridge but the scale seems too small to be a Klyde Warren success and too big/costly to do the basic job of making the walk safer for cross pedestrian traffic.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Dec 2018 14:23

JPMorgan Chase Regional Headquarters – Plano

https://officesnapshots.com/2018/12/03/ ... ers-plano/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Dec 2018 08:32

JPMorgan Chase eyes expansion of its huge campus in Plano's Legacy West

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... egacy-west

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Dec 2018 09:02

I really like how these suburban office parks are evolving. From intentionally isolated fortress clusters rapidly on the way to concentrated gathering places.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 Dec 2018 09:21

juggernaut!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 10 Jan 2019 11:21

Still growing.... More office, retail and apartments on the way!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... egacy-west