Sherman - TI Chip Factory

The_Overdog

Sherman - TI Chip Factory

Postby The_Overdog » 08 May 2023 09:10

I was just passing by Sherman this weekend, and there are a dozen high-rise cranes in a small plot of land that I think is the TI chip fab expansion. It looks like a shipyard there are so many. I've never seen anything like that in DFW (maybe pictures of like Singapore come close) and have to admit I was jealous. I can't believe the Dallas area lost out on that.

Addison

Re: Sherman - TI Chip Factory

Postby Addison » 08 May 2023 12:06

The_Overdog wrote:I was just passing by Sherman this weekend, and there are a dozen high-rise cranes in a small plot of land that I think is the TI chip fab expansion. It looks like a shipyard there are so many. I've never seen anything like that in DFW (maybe pictures of like Singapore come close) and have to admit I was jealous. I can't believe the Dallas area lost out on that.

Several comments:

1. I highly doubt anywhere in DFW proper was ever under consideration. TI was likely focused on finding a bunch of *CHEAP* land if anything, which Sherman for now still has plenty of.

2. I feel as though TI owed this project to Sherman, as people seem to forget right before announcing this they were screwing them over big time by closing their existing already decent-size) manufacturing plant.

3. Despite the plant not being located in DFW's MSA, it is located in DFW's CSA and will still have a significant economic impact on the Metroplex, specifically in the fast-growing Collin County suburbs where a lot of commuters will live/shop (with a ton more subdivisions, stores and restaurants to accommodate them). And who knows, 10 years from now when there's more commuting overlap, Grayson County may also become part of the Metroplex.

4. I suspect there was similarly intense construction 50-70 years ago when Lockheed Martin's and GM's massive plants in Tarrant County were built.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 08 May 2023 12:29

TI was likely focused on finding a bunch of *CHEAP* land if anything, which Sherman for now still has plenty of.

I can believe that, but it's not a big site. There are tons of places in DFW that it could have fit, probably even in Dallas/Richardson/Plano/etc of Collin County. I assume they were looking for cheaper labor.

Addison

Postby Addison » 08 May 2023 12:49

The_Overdog wrote:
TI was likely focused on finding a bunch of *CHEAP* land if anything, which Sherman for now still has plenty of.

I assume they were looking for cheaper labor.

That, too.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 May 2023 16:12

5 big plans that could bring explosive growth to another county north of Dallas
Semiconductors and one of the country’s largest reservoirs are keys in Grayson County’s future.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... of-dallas/

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 22 May 2023 11:53

Before we know it it will be time to revive the Texas Electric Railway.

Could even see it being revived as a novelty sort thing thing, between McKinney and Denison. Something not unlike the Grapevine vintage train.

Casa Linda

Postby Casa Linda » 25 Jun 2023 11:33

The_Overdog wrote:

I can believe that, but it's not a big site. There are tons of places in DFW that it could have fit, probably even in Dallas/Richardson/Plano/etc of Collin County. I assume they were looking for cheaper labor.

I don't think cheap labor or land was it. Look at county tax and land records and you can see TI has owned that land for decades, and from memory, added to it ~20+ years ago for the plots they have now. Seems like this was always going to be a bigger manufacturing site. Same for the Richardson factory, TI owned that Renner Road land for a long time before building the fab.

Sherman and ISD gave them the typical tax abatements needed and has a moderate supply of talent due to existing companies like Globitech, Coherent (Finisar), older TI plant on site since 1965?, and access to Allen/McKinney/Plano area.

Some googling brings up this. https://www.ti.com/about-ti/company/ti- ... uring.html

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Aug 2023 11:33

One thing to remember, it was more than just TI. Between both companies, the combined total is stunning.

Completion date set for first phase of $5 billion GlobiTech wafer factory in Sherman

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ments.html

The first phase, currently under construction, has a $1 billion estimated cost and a completion date of Dec. 31, 2025, according to a Texas Department and Licensing Regulations registration document dated Aug. 3.

GlobiTech picked Sherman for the expansion over potential sites in Ohio and Korea after an extremely competitive search and selection process, Sherman city officials have said.

Dallas-based Texas Instruments (Nasdaq: TI) is also expanding in Sherman with a $30 billion, four-factory semiconductor manufacturing campus.

At full buildout, TI’s Sherman campus is expected to be the largest electronics production facility in Texas and among the largest manufacturing facilities in the country.

The initial phase of Texas Instruments’ facility under construction about three miles south of GlobiTech’s will have an estimated cost topping $2.2 billion and cover more than 4.2 million square feet, according to a TDLR filing in May.

Casa Linda

Postby Casa Linda » 05 Aug 2023 11:59

[quote="Tnexster"]One thing to remember, it was more than just TI. Between both companies, the combined total is stunning.

I recall that Finisar/Coherent was also considering expanding in Sherman, but not sure if that's going to happen.

Keep in mind, most $$ for fabs goes to purchase equipment from vendors in far away places (New England, California, Europe, Japan, Korea, China, etc). Though Amat still makes stuff in Austin I believe. Raw cost doesn't mean much. But it takes an army of people to keep facilities going, contractors, more contractors, technicians, engineers, and so so so much middle management. ;-(

Even little Farmer's Branch is getting back in the semiconductor business. I noticed Wolfspeed / Cree is hiring for the former Dallas Semiconductor building. Maybe they'll start making raw silicon carbide wafers there.

https://cree.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/EXT?locations=276077b4eb371001b267c15a6abc0000

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 05 Aug 2023 13:50

Cool about Farmers Branch!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 06 Aug 2023 09:01

Casa Linda wrote:
Tnexster wrote:I recall that Finisar/Coherent was also considering expanding in Sherman, but not sure if that's going to happen.

I thought there was three different chip construction projects. Even if only two break ground, Collin, Denton and Grayson counties are going to be awash in new developments involving all aspects of this sort if manufacturing. The silicone prairie rolls on.

Hopefully electricity generators will get in there too.

It may take constitutional amendments, but North Texas needs greater access to the water stored in Lake Texhoma. There's no legitimate reason for the boundary between Texas and Oklahoma to be the southern shore of the Red River. Passive ecological water quality treatment and diversion to the Trinity River basin needs to be a thing.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 06 Aug 2023 14:05

tamtagon wrote:
It may take constitutional amendments, but North Texas needs greater access to the water stored in Lake Texhoma. There's no legitimate reason for the boundary between Texas and Oklahoma to be the southern shore of the Red River. Passive ecological water quality treatment and diversion to the Trinity River basin needs to be a thing.

No legitimate reason whatsoever, other than some treaties and Supreme Court decisions.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Aug 2023 06:19

^yes, as I said, constitutional amendments will be required to correct the use of water flowing into and down the Red River, it shouldn't all belong to Oklahoma.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 07 Aug 2023 09:25

tamtagon wrote:^yes, as I said, constitutional amendments will be required to correct the use of water flowing into and down the Red River, it shouldn't all belong to Oklahoma.

Red River water does not all belong to Oklahoma. Texas is entitled to some of it per the Red River Compact.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Aug 2023 09:29

Tucy wrote:
tamtagon wrote:^yes, as I said, constitutional amendments will be required to correct the use of water flowing into and down the Red River, it shouldn't all belong to Oklahoma.

Red River water does not all belong to Oklahoma. Texas is entitled to some of it per the Red River Compact.

Thought it was 50%.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Aug 2023 16:22

Tnexster wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Thought it was 50%.

Oh, well nevermind. Haha Need to start a plan to channel some of that into the Trinity River basin.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 07 Aug 2023 17:36

The North Texas Municipal Water District already has rights to almost 200k acre-feet annually. They get about 20% of their total water from Texoma. However, they've had a number of problems with this source.

- Texoma water is so salty that it has to be desalinated or diluted with water from other sources. So NTMWD can't use their entire allotment because they don't have enough other water that can easily be used for dilution.

- In 2000 the Texas-Oklahoma border through the lake was redrawn -- with the NTMWD pump station intake now on the Oklahoma side. This means the water they've been pumping belongs to Oklahoma. Oklahoma law prohibits the sale of water outside the state. While so far the discussions have been good-natured, there are lots of politicians involved trying to come up with a solution, which is pretty much guaranteed to include NTMWD having to pay for the water they've illegally pumped in the past. See the attachment.

- Zebra mussels. Previously, the NTMWD had a pipeline just long enough to pump water from Texoma to the Trinity East Fork watershed, where it would then flow naturally down to Lake Lavon where the water treatment plant is. The came the mussels. Federal law prohibits sending dangerous/invasive species across state lines. Since that intake was in Oklahoma, NTMWD had to stop pumping water for a couple years while they got a special permit and built a new $300 million pipeline to carry the Texoma water all the way to the treatment plant.

Sources:
https://nondoc.com/2023/04/13/texas-wat ... ke-texoma/
https://www.rowletttx.gov/DocumentCente ... Q-2?bidId=
https://www.plummer.com/projects/north- ... e-pipeline
https://www.ntmwd.com/our-water-system/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Aug 2023 22:56

Wetlands would prep the water for the drinking supply. The laws are stupid. Water belongs to the people, and they're in Texas.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Aug 2023 08:50

Why would Texas agree to a redrawn line that appears to be done deliberately to relocate that pumping station inside Oklahoma?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 08 Aug 2023 19:20

Tnexster wrote:Why would Texas agree to a redrawn line that appears to be done deliberately to relocate that pumping station inside Oklahoma?

Purely conjecture: The line was redrawn to more closely following the original course of the river (which remains the definition of the border, despite the lake), and no one involved in that effort was aware of the pumping station.

Have a look at https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/lake-texoma/. You can see how the the old river channel goes right by the pump station. It wouldn't surprise me if the station was intentionally placed there, where the deepest part of the lake (old channel near the dam) is adjacent to the shore. The engineers just didn't think about the legal issues.

Dragon_Lady

Postby Dragon_Lady » 08 Aug 2023 23:55

The newly impounded Lake Bois d’Arc near Bonham is our state’s first major reservoir in decades and I believe it will supply water to northern North Texas counties.

Casa Linda

Postby Casa Linda » 09 Aug 2023 10:33

tamtagon wrote:I thought there was three different chip construction projects. Even if only two break ground, Collin, Denton and Grayson counties are going to be awash in new developments involving all aspects of this sort if manufacturing. The silicone prairie rolls on.

Hopefully electricity generators will get in there too.

These jobs are all very high tech and full of science/engineering.

Finisar/II-VI/Coherent is in the old MEMC Southwest building south of TI. Back in the day the building made raw silicon wafers but that became super commoditized and mostly outsourced to Asia. Abandoned for years until Finisar (in Allen since 2006) moved in. They mfg VCSEL emitters... used in cell phones, for instance, for facial recognition. Avago/Broadcom is their competitor in Colorado... spun out of Hewlett Packard. Originally the Finisar technology came from Honeywell, which was originally in Minnesota, but moved to a mfg facility in Richardson (Arapaho?) in the 90's.

I think mfg of these devices is very difficult. And a lot of people didn't want to make the move from Allen to Sherman (imagine you drive from Dallas to work in Allen. Now your job moved to Sherman. Yikes.)

https://www.kxii.com/2022/12/07/finisar-proposes-3-billion-sherman-expansion-new-facility/

https://ii-vi.com/vcsel-technology/

Globitech / Global Wafers is north of Tyson foods off US75 and is mostly an epi house. Meaning they take silicon wafers and grow additional high quality silicon on top of the wafer and then sell that to fabs around the world. Announced expansion is to make raw 300mm wafers. Quite the gamble for that to be in USA.

https://businessfacilities.com/globitech-semiconductor-expansion-1500-jobs-north-texas/
https://www.globitech.com/about-globitech-inc/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Aug 2023 09:38

MANUFACTURING CHANGE
INSIDE SHERMAN'S RAPID EVOLUTION

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... texas.html