Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Kelley USA

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby Kelley USA » 16 Aug 2018 14:09

Looks like Gables & Retail Street Advisors released a Press Release today on Water Street. As a result we're getting a few articles out now on tenants (nothing we haven't already mentioned though).

dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-16-18-water-street-olivellas-cork-pig-hugos/

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/res ... pizza-ribs

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 16 Aug 2018 14:13

ContriveDallasite wrote:
TXGunLover wrote:
tamtagon wrote:Las Colinas needs a good museum.

I would argue it needs a better public school district first, instead of CFB.

I am a product of the CFB school system - compared to the alternative of Irving ISD, I do not know what your complaint is. I grew up in the Hackberry area and had friends living less than a mile apart who were in the Coppell ISD and Irving ISD, I would agree that it would be more rational if the school zone boundaries were more rationally drawn as to actually reflect the geography of the neighborhood.

Recommend you check txschools.org related to yesterday's published scores. Make no mistake CFB is much better than ISD... but not comparable to other growing, professional areas of north Texas.

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 Aug 2018 09:50

TXGunLover wrote:
ContriveDallasite wrote:
TXGunLover wrote:I would argue it needs a better public school district first, instead of CFB.

I am a product of the CFB school system - compared to the alternative of Irving ISD, I do not know what your complaint is. I grew up in the Hackberry area and had friends living less than a mile apart who were in the Coppell ISD and Irving ISD, I would agree that it would be more rational if the school zone boundaries were more rationally drawn as to actually reflect the geography of the neighborhood.

Recommend you check txschools.org related to yesterday's published scores. Make no mistake CFB is much better than ISD... but not comparable to other growing, professional areas of north Texas.

If I'm not mistaken, the LC Urban Center actually falls under Irving ISD (getting better... but has a LONG way to go), while everything north of the Urban Center goes to Carrolton/Farmers Branch ISD (better, but nothing special). The west half of Valley Ranch, and the Cypress Waters area both go to Coppell ISD (I think top seven district in the whole state).

It is a bit of a confusing mess, and simply crossing a street can have huge home value impacts. While I don't see much hope for many of these districts competing with the top tier schools, I do think there is hope for leveling the playing field to around the CFBISD level. Time will tell...

More importantly, I would love to see an environment where parents had more choice, and schools could compete against each other. Until then, the LC Urban Center will likely remain a place for young couples without families, and possibly empty nesters. But there's really nothing wrong with that.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 17 Aug 2018 09:55

muncien wrote:
TXGunLover wrote:
ContriveDallasite wrote:Until then, the LC Urban Center will likely remain a place for young couples without families, and possibly empty nesters. But there's really nothing wrong with that.

Other than, the population demographics in the area cannot support such growth in entertainment as seen in areas such as Frisco... I agree.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 Aug 2018 13:40

The Blue Star / Lincoln Property Development at 114 and 161 is coming before P&Z this Monday. They're seeking approval for 4 lots on about 30 acres. Good to see it moving forward. Will be curious to see what they have planned. I know previously the talk was that a Sandman Signature Hotel with a Moxie's restaurant would be built here. The one they just built in Plano is pretty nice and has a Moxie's on one end a Shark Club Sports Bar on the other end.

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 Aug 2018 13:53

Kelley USA wrote:The Blue Star / Lincoln Property Development at 114 and 161 is coming before P&Z this Monday. They're seeking approval for 4 lots on about 30 acres. Good to see it moving forward. Will be curious to see what they have planned. I know previously the talk was that a Sandman Signature Hotel with a Moxie's restaurant would be built here. The one they just built in Plano is pretty nice and has a Moxie's on one end a Shark Club Sports Bar on the other end.

Fingers crossed... That definitely sounds better than what was previously proposed. Those P&Z meetings are open to the public, right?

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 17 Aug 2018 13:56

Was iPic possibly originally going into that dev or am I thinking of something else?

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 Aug 2018 13:58

TXGunLover wrote:Was iPic possibly originally going into that dev or am I thinking of something else?

They were... But, I think that was three or four iterations ago. :)
- before Alamo -

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 Aug 2018 14:11

muncien wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:The Blue Star / Lincoln Property Development at 114 and 161 is coming before P&Z this Monday. They're seeking approval for 4 lots on about 30 acres. Good to see it moving forward. Will be curious to see what they have planned. I know previously the talk was that a Sandman Signature Hotel with a Moxie's restaurant would be built here. The one they just built in Plano is pretty nice and has a Moxie's on one end a Shark Club Sports Bar on the other end.

Fingers crossed... That definitely sounds better than what was previously proposed. Those P&Z meetings are open to the public, right?

Yes, they are open to the public. They hold them in the same forum that the City Council meetings are held. You can actually watch live online too, or even on the local Government channels. Yes, iPic was part of another development way back in the day that also had Central Market as a possible tenant. Obviously it never materialized and so iPic backed out.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Aug 2018 10:13

It looks like the Blue Star Property at 114 and 161 passed P&Z on Monday. I drove by the site and noticed a new sign had been put up for a company called Stantec. It's a fairly large Global Architecture firm. Hopefully this means we'll see something about this project sooner rather than later.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Aug 2018 15:16

Lupe Tortilla has pulled permits for their restaurant off 635. It's going to be built right next door to Walk-Ons. This will be the 2nd DFW location for the chain. The first location will be in Addison.

I also went to Whiskey Cake for brunch on Sunday. Got there about 10:45 and the place was already pretty crowded. Sat at the bar and had some chicken & waffles. Fantastic! What a great addition for Las Colinas, although selfishly I wish it was on the 114 side and closer to the Urban Center. However I think this is the type of place draws a good base from Coppell, Grapevine, Flower Mound etc...

New signage continues to go up at Water Street. Cork & Pig added a new sign on the O'Connor side and the signs for Hugo's Invitados have gone up. I peeked in the window at Hugo's and the place looks more like a disaster than it did a few weeks ago. I think what's happening is that as they go through the build process they keep changing their mind on colors, flooring, lighting etc... They probably want to make sure they get it right since this is the first location of what I assume will be others!

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 27 Aug 2018 15:24

Mexican Sugar will be right next to Whiskey Cake in addition to Lupe's and Walk-Ons.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Aug 2018 16:05

TXGunLover wrote:Mexican Sugar will be right next to Whiskey Cake in addition to Lupe's and Walk-Ons.

Hmmm, interesting. I knew that Front Burner had bought the lot next door as well, but the original site plan showed Sixty Vines. I think either would be a good fit to be honest!

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 27 Aug 2018 16:19

Sadly they dumped sixty vine
Last edited by TXGunLover on 04 Sep 2018 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 30 Aug 2018 09:12

I ran across this article... Pretty cool! I think this is part of the old Research in Motion campus.

https://healthcare.dmagazine.com/2018/0 ... s-colinas/

muncien

Postby muncien » 30 Aug 2018 09:19

^^^^
Very cool to see this coming to LC!

vman

Postby vman » 06 Sep 2018 07:29

As a relatively new resident of Las Colinas/Irving, I explore the entire city, not just Las Colinas. If I hadn't, I never would have known of the beautiful neighborhoods in Irving south of 114 and yes, some south of 183. Neighborhoods that have some actual character, unlike most of the bland incredibly bland neighborhoods north of 114.
I almost purchased a townhome off 635, put we decided on one south of 114 in an area that had some type of diversity as opposed to the boring mess that is the 635 corridor. Anyway, I recently drove down 183 and there's lots of new home construction, new retail and a very good refacing and clean up job is being done on Irving Baylor hospital. I recently read articles about the redeveloping of Southwest Center Mall, Wynnewood Village, and some mall in Plano. It puzzles me that Irving Mall is never in the redevelopment discussion. Given the location and the redo of 183, this area should be on the redevelopment radar.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Sep 2018 16:25

vman wrote:, and some mall in Plano. It puzzles me that Irving Mall is never in the redevelopment discussion.

I believe that would be Collin Creek you referred to in Plano. As for Irving Mall, I'm not sure. It definitely has the eyeball count per day, but it's been allowed to devolve into a sad strange multi-use with the occasional criminal element and TV news coverage to go with it. If there weren't shopping areas farther out, there would probably be more of an attraction there, besides the growing retail-closure/rise-of-online-shopping factor. Several of the sad/dying/emptying malls seem to have ownership/management lethargy. Valley View and Prestonwood were both that way. Collin Creek wasn't much better. I guess some of the other malls that have gone or are going here have had various versions of that problem.

You're one of the few I've heard about that actually tries to broaden their focus as far as home and/or daily living in a town, beyond the shiny and new.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Sep 2018 16:37

University Hills just south of 114 is one of my favorite neighborhoods. Beautiful area, rolling hills, great older homes, well kept, nice views from the top of some hills. Homes rarely come on the market in this neighborhood.

As for Irving Mall, I just don't know. I think you'd really need to attract the affluent shoppers and apartment dwellers of Las Colinas to make it work. It might sound a bit strange (and I looked it up to make sure I wasn't crazy) but it's actually quicker and basically the same distance for me to get from my apartment in Las Colinas to both the Galleria and Grapevine Mills. I'm not saying Irving Mall doesn't have it's place. They still have over 120 retailers inside the mall so it's FAR from being another Red Bird or Valley View.

But I have been impressed with the way things are shaping up along 183. It's long overdue and makes a much better presentation for Irving!

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 Sep 2018 09:26

I happened to walk through Irving mall a month or so ago while I was having my car stereo worked on a Best Buy. I have always been surprised by that mall's ability to not only survive, but actually thrive (for it's age anyway). There are very few empty store fronts (food court are is the exception), and there always seems to be a good crowd. Other than grabbing a super cheap margarita at Los Lupes, there is nothing in this mall that I needed. But with that said, it seems to fit the diverse demographics of South Irving quite well, and therefore it will likely be around for quite some time.
Contrast that with Valley View Mall... OMG, I watched a movie at AMC a couple weeks ago and decided to walk through the mall. Seems like something out of one of those post apocalyptic movies. Yikes! You could seriously drive a go cart full speed through the main corridors and never have to use the brakes. I actually thought it would make a great indoor go cart track... lol

@Kelly - Great shout out to University Hills! I nearly bought a property there back during the recession, and wish I had. Quite possibly my favorite neighborhood in all of N. Texas. I don't know anywhere else that you can find the same architectural diversity, geography, and quality of upkeep as you can there.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 10 Sep 2018 09:14

Olivella's Pizza at Water Street is opening this Wednesday. The place looks great! Also, I peeked inside the Hugo's Invitados space. Wow, they are spending some $$ on the finish-out. Looks beautiful. They also started building out their patio space. I think this could become the "it" restaurant in Las Colinas (or at least in the Urban Center).

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 11 Sep 2018 09:02

Kelley USA wrote:Olivella's Pizza at Water Street is opening this Wednesday. The place looks great! Also, I peeked inside the Hugo's Invitados space. Wow, they are spending some $$ on the finish-out. Looks beautiful. They also started building out their patio space. I think this could become the "it" restaurant in Las Colinas (or at least in the Urban Center).

Hate to be the one to ask, could someone post some picture updates of Pioneer HQ, Water Street and the Convention Center hotels? Won't make it back to Dallas this year, but very curious about the way things look!

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 11 Sep 2018 20:05

5D68B31E-EE83-41C8-949E-AAAA5269A8FF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 11 Sep 2018 20:07

C8F2FA09-4E61-4320-B222-127DE2904DFB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Sep 2018 21:43

That exterior has a nice look

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Sep 2018 11:17

Went to Olivella's last night. Place was about half full- good little crowd. Nice atmosphere and the pizza was delicious! This will definitely be a popular spot and I can see the patio being busy in the Fall.

Also walked by Hugo's last night. They're building what looks to be a spectacular patio. Peeked in the windows and saw employees stocking the bar & kitchen, and saw management eating and sampling the menu. Should open in a few weeks I'm guessing!

Also noticed that Gloria's at TMF is upgrading their patio facing the plaza. It's long overdue. I've often said they have the worst patios in the entire complex.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 21 Sep 2018 11:49

Kelley USA wrote:Also walked by Hugo's last night. They're building what looks to be a spectacular patio.

Just to check, does the patio overlook the lake? I haven't followed closely enough to know where Hugo's is. As the lake front parcels fill, we will hopefully be treated to across-the-lake patio views, um, that are, like, Paris romantic or whatever. Even though some of the Dallas Donut apartments may seem to ruin those particular lake front properties, the may temper the garishness potential of such a promising patio setting.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Sep 2018 12:04

^^Actually it does not... I think what I consider to be the 2 most prominent restaurants, Hugo's and Cork & Pig are both at the front of the complex on O'Connor Blvd. They both occupy the 2 spots at the main entrance. The 2 spots at the back of the development that technically sit on the lake will be the Gingerman and a concept out of Fort Worth called Pacific Table. Olivella's does have a nice spot though- it's got lake views from the patio and sits right next to the fountains.

Also, Big Little Market is open. Looks like a cool little spot to grab-n-go!

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 22 Sep 2018 22:19

Made it over to Olivella’s. The drinks are pretty expensive at this location - $11 for a shot of Deep Eddy vodka. Service isn’t as polished either. But the pizza is just as good as it is at the other locations. Olivella’s is one of the absolute best pizza places in Dallas and its great we have one here now.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 Sep 2018 15:27

It looks like the City Council may finally be taking a stand against more apartments in the Urban Core. Last week they rejected a new complex by a 5-3 vote. From the renderings it looked nice but basically like everything else that's going up. It did have about 6K sq ft of retail space. The project was proposed for right next to the Dart Station on Promenade Pkwy and was to include 14 micro-units that had a minimum square footage of 350.

I'm sure this will be re-worked and will come back to council for approval though.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 01 Oct 2018 09:54

Water Street has a few openings today.... Hugo's Invitados officially opens today from 11am - 11pm. The place looks stunning and the patio is beautiful. Also, Cork & Pig has their soft opening today from 11am - 4pm (just lunch today). I assume they'll start full hours in a few days. I noticed on their website they're still hiring for all positions.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 05 Oct 2018 09:29

And the drama continues for the Music Factory...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/irving/ ... unfinished

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 06 Oct 2018 09:54

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Oct 2018 20:08

Not sure what kind of new development could go there now other than maybe Amazon2. Downtown Dallas and the existing suburban mixed-use hot spots have been getting most of the action and airplay up to now.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Oct 2018 10:07

A key point in that NBC news story is that the state has requested to keep using the stadium site for several more years for construction staging. Irvings Moon landing site will stay that way for awhile longer.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Oct 2018 11:48

If the City was smart they'd give the land to Lucy Billingsley and let her develop it. Despite maybe an over-abundance of parking I think she's done a tremendous job with Cypress Waters. A development like that is really the best the City could hope for, and Lucy has done a great job of attracting new businesses to CW. We're never going to get Amazon and high-end retail isn't going to work here like Oliver McMillan had envisioned. But I think something along the lines of Cypress with office, some retail, townhomes, multifamily would be a win.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 08 Oct 2018 20:06

maybe the City of Irving can require TxDot to plant a tree perimeter around the site to prevent it from looking like a slag heap to passerby's. Of course keeping future access points open and unobstructed.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 09 Oct 2018 14:50

cowboyeagle05 wrote:A key point in that NBC news story is that the state has requested to keep using the stadium site for several more years for construction staging. Irvings Moon landing site will stay that way for awhile longer.

I went past there the other day on the Orange line, and saw that they're building some sort of overpass over 114 (there used to be one connecting Texas stadium to the parking lots that was demolished). Is that being built with the assumption that the site will eventually be something besides construction staging? Hopefully it won't get used by construction trucks, as that would severely decrease the lifespan.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 09 Oct 2018 21:06

It is supposed to be a signature bridge for Irving to spur development in the vacant lots.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 15 Oct 2018 14:44

Came across this potential development today... Looks like Cool River would be torn down and then re-opened as the ground floor tenant in the new building.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/Hidden-R ... X/7743254/

muncien

Postby muncien » 16 Oct 2018 09:45

^^^
That is interesting... considering how much already available high-rise land there is nearby (including many available building sites on the Carpenter Ranch dev plan).
Despite being just a few blocks from Cool River for so many years... I have never stepped foot in that place. But I always assumed it did well. Perhaps the Music Factory and Water Street are beginning to take a bite out of their operations.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 Oct 2018 12:41

It does seem a bit odd... I have a confession to make. After I posted the link I noticed that this development is being proposed by a good friend of mine. I asked him about it yesterday. He basically gave me a Haha and said they were actually working on something much cooler. So stay tuned!

With that being said, I can see Cool River sort of being outdated. The place still seems to do good business though, but I can see a complete overhaul with a new restaurant design being beneficial (especially with a nice patio). Could be good too with all the Pioneer Resource workers nearby once they complete the new HQ. I've only been inside Cool River once (smelled like smoke). I'm sure that the Music Factory and Water Street are starting to take some of their business!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 Oct 2018 09:59

No.... God No... Please God No... don't let this be a serious plan for the entryway at Las Colinas Blvd & O'Connor Blvd. This would be a disaster!

https://images4.loopnet.com/d2/aunfbh1D ... cument.pdf

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 Oct 2018 10:58

Kelley USA wrote:No.... God No... Please God No... don't let this be a serious plan for the entryway at Las Colinas Blvd & O'Connor Blvd. This would be a disaster!

https://images4.loopnet.com/d2/aunfbh1D ... cument.pdf

LOL... I was going to say something like "The 80's called, and want their suburban office park back...", but then I realized the 80's era building across the street has a much better use of space and street presence. DOH!

Why would they want the hotel set so far back like that??? And there should be close to ZERO surface parking build in the 'urban' center... period.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Oct 2018 22:00

Wow, lots of surface parking. They really want this?

jeffbrown2002

Postby jeffbrown2002 » 17 Oct 2018 22:29

Not to mention no included provision for an APT station, which really should be a requirement for any new development going up along the guideway already in place.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 Oct 2018 12:02

Here's what appears to be the "in the early stages" of design for the Blue Star Development at 161 and 114 (Jerry Jones / LPC Project). The brochure was done about 3 months ago.

https://www.lpcdallas.com/wp-content/up ... ueStar.pdf

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 19 Oct 2018 09:39

A path to payment is in place for the TMF...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/irving/ ... uncil-vote

muncien

Postby muncien » 19 Oct 2018 10:33

Kelley USA wrote:Here's what appears to be the "in the early stages" of design for the Blue Star Development at 161 and 114 (Jerry Jones / LPC Project). The brochure was done about 3 months ago.

https://www.lpcdallas.com/wp-content/up ... ueStar.pdf

Why is it so disjointed? I really don't understand why every proposal for this prime piece of property is such a let down. It's a total blank canvas that any potential developer should be able to build something cohesive and functional... Yet, every proposal seems like they just drag & drop random features into the area just to fill it up, and check off boxes (retail - check, hotel - check, office - check)...
So baffling...

Being that the apartments are slated to break ground 'SUMMER 2018' and they haven't (I'm looking at the lot out my window now), I'm holding out hope that they're reworking this site plan.

muncien

Postby muncien » 19 Oct 2018 10:35

In other news... The tower cranes are currently being taken down on Pioneer HQ.