Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Kelley USA

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby Kelley USA » 10 Feb 2020 12:31

And another article from the DBJ... I have to say though, $285 million for 2.3 million sf of new space seems really cheap. The Pioneer building is 1 million sf and just sold for $500+ million.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... s_headline

bachmanlad

Postby bachmanlad » 12 Feb 2020 08:14

Hidden Ridge Station is finally rolling. Apparently the city of Irving had agreed to fund it. That must have been the reason for the delay.

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort ... -december/

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Feb 2020 09:08

bachmanlad wrote:Hidden Ridge Station is finally rolling. Apparently the city of Irving had agreed to fund it. That must have been the reason for the delay.

Hmm... I thought this station was supposed to be funded by the developer in concession for zoning changes... ? Or, was it that the city agreed to fund it in lieu of other incentives?
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 12 Feb 2020 09:44

bachmanlad wrote:Hidden Ridge Station is finally rolling. Apparently the city of Irving had agreed to fund it. That must have been the reason for the delay.

There was some discussion in the DART thread about it - the construction costs came in higher than estimated, and Irving needed some extra time to get the cash together.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Feb 2020 09:47

muncien wrote:

Hmm... I thought this station was supposed to be funded by the developer in concession for zoning changes... ? Or, was it that the city agreed to fund it in lieu of other incentives?

So the City of Irving is paying about $4.5 million and DART will be responsible for $8.8 million. DART will be reimbursed through a CMAQ Grant. The construction of the station is set to coincide with the new 2 million sf of office / retail that Verizon is suppose to start this Summer. Verizon will also receive $24 million in incentives from the City. Station should be completed in October and ready to go in December. Hidden Ridge is about to go gangbusters!

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Feb 2020 10:20

TNWE wrote:

There was some discussion in the DART thread about it - the construction costs came in higher than estimated, and Irving needed some extra time to get the cash together.

The estimate for this station is totally ridiculous when you consider that the foundations and footings for the station were built with the original line, and the original steel was already procured. Does this have something to do with the rusting heap of metal next to the track split by Bachman station? Did DART's inability to shelter that steel make it unusable and contribute to the cost increase?
For years I have been staring at that pile of rusting steel and it was eating away at me as to why DART projects cost so much... This seems to be a great example. :x
Don't get me wrong... I'm really glad we are finally getting this station. But, it just infuriates me how wasteful people are with other peoples money.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 12 Feb 2020 10:26

Maybe they'll spell the Convention Center Station correctly on the next map update at stations on the backside of ticket machines. Hopefully they don't write Hidden Valley Ranch station, though. . .

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 12 Feb 2020 14:51

muncien wrote:
TNWE wrote:

The estimate for this station is totally ridiculous when you consider that the foundations and footings for the station were built with the original line, and the original steel was already procured. Does this have something to do with the rusting heap of metal next to the track split by Bachman station? Did DART's inability to shelter that steel make it unusable and contribute to the cost increase?
For years I have been staring at that pile of rusting steel and it was eating away at me as to why DART projects cost so much... This seems to be a great example. :x
Don't get me wrong... I'm really glad we are finally getting this station. But, it just infuriates me how wasteful people are with other peoples money.

Based on my admittedly limited experience working in government contracting, my guess is things went something like this:
- the steel was procured well before the stations were deferred, and initial budgets for constructing the Irving extension stations were based on getting a certain percentage volume discount on materials for buying 7 stations worth of materials instead of 5
- when the stations were deferred, they booked the entire cost of those stations as "savings" to get the final EIS approval and rating, even though they've already bought and paid for the materials
- someone noticed the extra material lying around exposed to the elements, and suggested it be covered or moved to a shed, but was told there was no budget because the EIS didn't include a gold-plated materials storage shed
- the deferred station gets approved 5 years later, someone goes to look at the materials only to find they're rusted beyond repair
- DART goes back to Irving with the collection plate and says "sorry, you need to pay up if you want your station - the steel we bought 7 years ago is no good"

Note that this is on top of what Irving already paid in to reroute the Orange line alignment through the Urban Center (because DART originally wanted to run it past the liquor stores and shooting range on NW Highway). Meanwhile, Dallas gets to call the shots on the D2 alignment, paid nothing towards the Lake Highlands Infill station (as far as I can tell), and is running up the price of the Silver Line by demanding extensive "betterments" for malcontent homeowners.

If we ever get the opportunity to reform/reauthorize DART, priority #1 should be requiring a 50/50 DART/City split of the local share of costs for all capital construction within each city. That way they can hold each other accountable for capital spending, and probably open the door to more TOD as cities are incentivized to get more out of the rail lines serving their cities.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 12 Feb 2020 22:48

muncien wrote:
TNWE wrote:

Aside from the metal sitting outside for years, there's an issue of station design. The old renderings from before it was deferred showed the station as having barrel-vaulted canopies, like North Lake College or Irving Convention Center stations nearby. However, if they were to use those parts now, construction would require extended shutdown of trains to allow for placement of the canopies over the tracks and overhead wires, something that would not be an issue if the station was built before the line opened. Switching to small canopies would prevent this; thus why they were used at Lake Highlands. I haven't seen any new renderings of the station, but I have to imagine they won't be using the old parts.

bachmanlad

Postby bachmanlad » 13 Feb 2020 10:25

northsouth wrote:Switching to small canopies would prevent this; thus why they were used at Lake Highlands. I haven't seen any new renderings of the station, but I have to imagine they won't be using the old parts.

That's for the best anyway. The barrel canopies are awful. They're so high they provide little protection from the elements, and they leak like nobody's business.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 13 Feb 2020 11:23

northsouth wrote:
muncien wrote:
TNWE wrote:

Aside from the metal sitting outside for years, there's an issue of station design. The old renderings from before it was deferred showed the station as having barrel-vaulted canopies, like North Lake College or Irving Convention Center stations nearby. However, if they were to use those parts now, construction would require extended shutdown of trains to allow for placement of the canopies over the tracks and overhead wires, something that would not be an issue if the station was built before the line opened. Switching to small canopies would prevent this; thus why they were used at Lake Highlands. I haven't seen any new renderings of the station, but I have to imagine they won't be using the old parts.

Good point - I've not been through Lake Highlands station and expected they'd close the Orange line on weekends as needed to accommodate overhead construction.

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Feb 2020 12:12

I remember getting on Metra trains in Chicagoland and thinking the beauty of simplicity in their stations. DART has always over engineered everything, and as such it's costs dwarf those of other transit systems. Even with this particular station redesign, the costs are still through the roof.

Jandair

Postby Jandair » 13 Feb 2020 13:02

On another subject... Looks like this project is kicking into high gear.

https://www.perotdevelopment.com/dfw-park-161/

While it is technically DFW Airport property, Las Colinas is wrapped around it... The Orange line goes through this property also, so could drive an increase in DART riders.

Jandair

Postby Jandair » 13 Feb 2020 13:14

For some reason that link is not working...

https://www.perotdevelopment.com/

Try this one and then look at - DFW Park 161

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 13 Feb 2020 13:17

muncien wrote:I remember getting on Metra trains in Chicagoland and thinking the beauty of simplicity in their stations. DART has always over engineered everything, and as such it's costs dwarf those of other transit systems. Even with this particular station redesign, the costs are still through the roof.

The South San Francisco Caltrain "platform" is basically a yellow-painted section of pavement next to the tracks under a bridge. That of course means it's not ADA-compliant, and doesn't have to be until and unless they rebuild or expand it, unlike any new-build DART station that has to be. I'd bet at least some of the outlying Metra stations are the same way.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 Feb 2020 18:08

Pacific Table is now open at Water Street... Went by on Friday night and it was packed (of course it was Valentine's Day), but they were booked solid. Place looks great! On another note, Big Little Market at Water Street closed down over the weekend. Cute little place but their selection was really weird. I went in a few times and didn't really see anything I'd actually purchase.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 17 Feb 2020 08:30

Guarantee some Metra stations aren't or weren't in the mid-2000s.

I can attest Metra UP North line was pretty solid though. At least in my own observations between Waukegan and northside - Rogers Park. Great Lakes station was actually a nice sight to see daily.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 20 Feb 2020 08:28

Still surprised at how few details are available regarding Project Blue Star. They have done a lot of ground work however...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Feb 2020 09:18

TXGunLover wrote:Still surprised at how few details are available regarding Project Blue Star. They have done a lot of ground work however...

From what I have heard Northland is hoping to break ground on the 2 hotels sometime this Summer. I haven't seen much movement on the retail front. I know no permits have been pulled yet for that portion. It's only 35K sf, so not much to speak of. It's been rumored that Meso Maya and Starbucks are expected to be tenants, but you know how that goes! The office portion will probably be the last thing to get going, if it gets off the ground at all...

I'm actually more excited to see what comes of the Hidden Ridge project and what Verizon has planned with their upcoming 2 million sf project.

Jandair

Postby Jandair » 20 Feb 2020 11:04

My friends at Verizon tell me the new Hidden Ridge development will be a technology showcase and will highlight all of the abilities of 5G services... I am interested to see what that really means.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Feb 2020 09:42

Well AT&T keeps touting the same about their new Discovery District so it seems we have a pretty good battle going on for who can make the most exciting campus demo of 5G. I mean besides claiming everything is streaming across 5G what can they do?

I assume the dream depending on how realistic it really is would be the idea that wireless for 99% of internet needs including everything from fridges, microwaves, watches, etc and only the hardcore customer would get a hard line into their home. This means the signal would have to have improved ability to pass through walls no matter their material. I know part of the reason they switched everyone to Digital TV signals from Analog years ago was to free up more spectrum for uses like this, that and to sell people new TV's.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Feb 2020 11:27

I noticed at the last City Council work session there was an Executive Session item for "Economic Development Negotiations for Project Resurrection". First of all, love that name! Second it sort of got me wondering about the project. Initial thoughts would be Texas Stadium site, Northshore site, and perhaps even something to do with Amazon (long shot I know).

lwtx

Postby lwtx » 29 Feb 2020 19:24

Got word this week that Kabuki at the Music Factory will be closing permanently tonight (the one in Plano is already closed apparently). The parent company, who also owns Blue Fish, will replace Kabuki by relocating the Blue Fish from 114 @ MacArthur. Hope the switch works, and doesn’t kill both restaurants... though I’m really going to miss Kabuki.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Mar 2020 09:34

lwtx wrote:Got word this week that Kabuki at the Music Factory will be closing permanently tonight (the one in Plano is already closed apparently). The parent company, who also owns Blue Fish, will replace Kabuki by relocating the Blue Fish from 114 @ MacArthur. Hope the switch works, and doesn’t kill both restaurants... though I’m really going to miss Kabuki.

Kabuki was definitely closed last night! However, I can't find any sort of tie-in between Kabuki and Blue Fish. Kaizen Dining Group owns Kabuki, and they have a few different concepts listed on their site, but none of them are Blue Fish. It's a prime corner spot with Las Colinas Blvd frontage, so it should be attractive for someone. Actually wouldn't mind seeing a Hopdoddy or a really good BBQ place move-in.

vman

Postby vman » 02 Mar 2020 10:08

More office space to be added to Toyota Music Factory

"But there have been nagging vacancies in the retail space.
Now Ark Group is asking to use two vacant floors in the building next to the new Westin Irving Convention Center Hotel as offices.
The office space in the building would grow from 100,000 to 152,387 square feet, according to a zoning request with the City of Irving."

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... y-project/

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 02 Mar 2020 10:31

vman wrote:More office space to be added to Toyota Music Factory

"But there have been nagging vacancies in the retail space.
Now Ark Group is asking to use two vacant floors in the building next to the new Westin Irving Convention Center Hotel as offices.
The office space in the building would grow from 100,000 to 152,387 square feet, according to a zoning request with the City of Irving."

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... y-project/

And 52,3876 square feet of retail space is being eliminated (about a 23% reduction in total retail/restaurant space at Toyota Music Factory).

muncien

Postby muncien » 02 Mar 2020 12:45

That actually makes sense... Walking by those spaces from the garage makes it clear that they would never be successful as retail/restaurant. Would have been better to get KidKraddick show in there when they first tried (I think it's the same space).
Limiting office space and not putting any residential into the original project vision was a poor decision from the get go. But I realize the relationship between those already involved made it difficult to make that happen. But that doesn't mean we can't complain about it. :)

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Mar 2020 13:56

I have no problem with them turning all the 2nd floor space into office, but I definitely don't want to see them turn any of the ground floor space into office. I can go on and on about how poorly designed the Music Factory is, but there's no point. Part of the problem is ARK group. Ever since the Factory opened they decided to do all the leasing themselves. In fact, CBRE was originally hired and then fired about 2 months in. FINALLY, just a few months ago ARK decided to go out and hire Venture DFW to lease the retail. Not sure if it'll make a difference but we'll see. My gut tells me we'll see a few more closings. I think some places are sort of hanging on until things pick up with all the summer concerts.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Mar 2020 09:39

lwtx wrote:Got word this week that Kabuki at the Music Factory will be closing permanently tonight (the one in Plano is already closed apparently). The parent company, who also owns Blue Fish, will replace Kabuki by relocating the Blue Fish from 114 @ MacArthur. Hope the switch works, and doesn’t kill both restaurants... though I’m really going to miss Kabuki.

Yep, you're exactly right! Ran by this place last night and lots of signs in the window saying "Blue Fish Opening March 8th". There were crews working in the space last night, hanging tv's, installing wallpaper, glass partitions etc... It's going to look a little different from Kabuki.

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Mar 2020 12:48

Kelley USA wrote:

Yep, you're exactly right! Ran by this place last night and lots of signs in the window saying "Blue Fish Opening March 8th". There were crews working in the space last night, hanging tv's, installing wallpaper, glass partitions etc... It's going to look a little different from Kabuki.

Isn't the existing Blue Fish considerably larger than the Kabuki space? Assuming there is nowhere to expand, it sounds like a downsize. I know years ago, Blue Fish was the place to be for Happy Hour around here and they eventually expanded due to demand. Somewhere along the line, their awesome happy hour turned into a mediocre happy hour. I assume their business has cut down accordingly. Plus, there are so many more options now.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 09 Mar 2020 12:33

Piedmont Realty is looking to turn their current parcel at 161 and Royal Lane into a mixed-use project. They're working on a new declaration with the Las Colinas Assoc. The new declaration has to be voted on by Las Colinas members. Their original plan called for 2 offie buildings, the new plan calls for 1 office building / max 8 story hotel or apartment building and 4 restaurant pad sites. Click link and scroll down to see the proposal.

https://lascolinas.org/2020-annual-meeting-of-members/

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 10 Mar 2020 10:03

The Star Park development (Jerry Jones 161 / 114) has released some new information. Looks like they have 3 tenants listed on their site plan as confirmed. Velvet Taco, Parry's Pizzeria & Bar (looks like a cool place- they just opened a location in The Colony) and Starbucks. Shaping up nicely!

vman

Postby vman » 11 Mar 2020 07:37

Kelley USA wrote:The Star Park development (Jerry Jones 161 / 114) has released some new information. Looks like they have 3 tenants listed on their site plan as confirmed. Velvet Taco, Parry's Pizzeria & Bar (looks like a cool place- they just opened a location in The Colony) and Starbucks. Shaping up nicely!

I live in this area and frequent the restaurants, mostly in the evenings. I still have to question if Irving (and I say "Irving" since I frequent the entire city, not just Las Colinas and Valley Ranch) can support all of these restaurants. On most evenings, even weekends, most of the restaurants at the Music Factory and the 114/Macarthur corridor are rarely that busy, especially when compared to their other locations in DFW. I don't know...I've been in Irving for almost seven years now, and although I love it, the city's restaurant and retail scene just seems a little "off".

I also think the restaurants along 635 are doing better than the restaurants along the 114 corridor. Many of them always seem to be busier.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Mar 2020 09:33

vman wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:The Star Park development (Jerry Jones 161 / 114) has released some new information. Looks like they have 3 tenants listed on their site plan as confirmed. Velvet Taco, Parry's Pizzeria & Bar (looks like a cool place- they just opened a location in The Colony) and Starbucks. Shaping up nicely!

I live in this area and frequent the restaurants, mostly in the evenings. I still have to question if Irving (and I say "Irving" since I frequent the entire city, not just Las Colinas and Valley Ranch) can support all of these restaurants. On most evenings, even weekends, most of the restaurants at the Music Factory and the 114/Macarthur corridor are rarely that busy, especially when compared to their other locations in DFW. I don't know...I've been in Irving for almost seven years now, and although I love it, the city's restaurant and retail scene just seems a little "off".

I also think the restaurants along 635 are doing better than the restaurants along the 114 corridor. Many of them always seem to be busier.

It's a valid question. I also live in the area, and me and my friends frequent the restaurants quite a bit. My response is sort of a yes and no. If you have a nice restaurant, good food, good service and good atmosphere you most likely will have a chance to succeed! People in Irving / Las Colinas aren't going to spend their time and money on average at best places. And most visitors who come into town for work are typically going to look at star ratings on Google and Yelp. We'll definitely have turnover, but I think that's a good thing. It weeds out the poorer concepts. With that being said though, there have been a number of times that we've ventured out to Addison or Plano or even Uptown and found places that weren't that busy on weekends. But Irving continues to grow and we'll continue to attract more businesses, build more apartments and more hotels will open to host tired hungry travelers!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Mar 2020 09:36

The American Athletic Conference is moving from Providence, RI to Irving. This will make Irving home of the BIG 12, College Football Playoff association and Conference USA (technically they're in Dallas at Cypress Waters, but I'll claim it).

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... the-works/

Jandair

Postby Jandair » 11 Mar 2020 10:15

Did we ever find out what "Project Resurrection" is?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 Apr 2020 11:57

Jandair wrote:Did we ever find out what "Project Resurrection" is?

My initial thought was it might be some really cool project, but my thinking now is that it had more to do with the return of the Byron Nelson golf tournament. The name is fitting! Of course we know now that Irving and the Four Seasons were simply outbid by TPC Craig Ranch in McKinney.

A few other notes pertaining to all things LC... Looks like Lincoln Property has started to work on the retail portion of Star Park. Still haven't seen any permits but some work is being done on platting.

Also, I only went a few times but it has been confirmed that Cool River is permanently closed.

Jandair

Postby Jandair » 17 Apr 2020 10:08

Bummer about Cool River... I used to go there all the time. They are a little on the pricy side and off the beaten path... All the competition at Music Factory and Water Street was just too much for them I guess.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Apr 2020 12:30

Looks like permits have definitely been pulled for the Star Park retail. Glad to see this still moving forward. I think technically though a certain percentage of the retail has to be completed before they can start leasing any of the apartments that are being built. That was part of the agreement for the getting the apartment portion approved. The city didn't want them to build apartments and then back out of the retail.

Also, LOTS of new stakes have been put in the ground at the Verizon Hidden Ridge development. The original plan called for a June start on construction, but that may have changed. Still no real renderings as to what this 2.3 million sf development will look like??

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 Apr 2020 11:06

Saw some interesting Zoning signs pop up yesterday at 5800 Colwell Blvd. The site is 36 acres and sits just sort of south of ExxonMobil. In fact, the land is actually owned by ExxonMobil. It cold be nothing more than a zoning case for a new cell tower, but who knows. My only other guess would be some sort of residential.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Apr 2020 10:20

I was surprised to see that land has been cleared where the new office tower at Star Park is planned. Looks to be about 19 - 20 stories. Would be pretty big news for Las Colinas, since it's been forever since anything of that height has been built. Efforting to find more info!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 28 Apr 2020 14:26

I'm like a one man show over here posting stuff that nobody is reading :) Anyways, got a reply back from the City pertaining to the ExxonMobil land zoning change. Could be something brewing here??

"Yes, that property currently has an application for a Comprehensive Plan Amendment and a related rezoning request. The Comprehensive Plan amendment is to go from Compact Neighborhood to Business District. The rezoning is to go from R-40 (Single Family) District to C-O (Commercial Office) District"

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 28 Apr 2020 14:33

Thanks for the updates Kelley, I grew up in the area and always enjoy reading the developments. Have there been any developments regarding the shopping center that was supposed to have a Central Market or Market Street on PGBT and Las Colinas Blvd?

Jandair

Postby Jandair » 28 Apr 2020 15:46

I am reading your posts - but don't have as much to contribute. I will be able to to see the new building at star park from my kitchen... Especially if it really is that tall.

DFW Airport is building 4 very large warehouses just south of there on 161 - lots of activity.

Someone is also working on the little triangle corner just south of the new Immigration facility. I am not sure what that will be??? It was originally planned as a gas station, but the Racetrack across the street might have changed those plans.

So keep posting - We are watching. 8-)

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 28 Apr 2020 16:37

Kelley USA wrote:I'm like a one man show over here posting stuff that nobody is reading :) Anyways, got a reply back from the City pertaining to the ExxonMobil land zoning change. Could be something brewing here??

"Yes, that property currently has an application for a Comprehensive Plan Amendment and a related rezoning request. The Comprehensive Plan amendment is to go from Compact Neighborhood to Business District. The rezoning is to go from R-40 (Single Family) District to C-O (Commercial Office) District"

Is ExxonMobil starting to sell off some of their extra property?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 29 Apr 2020 10:19

Tucy wrote: Is ExxonMobil starting to sell off some of their extra property?

Something is going on... Could be that someone came in with a great plan to develop the land, perhaps a corporate relocation user?? Or it could be that ExxonMobil is looking out their windows at the new Pioneer Natural Resources HQ and getting all jealous. Ha! Should know more in the next few weeks once it comes before P&Z and then onto Council.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 29 Apr 2020 10:23

ContriveDallasite wrote:Thanks for the updates Kelley, I grew up in the area and always enjoy reading the developments. Have there been any developments regarding the shopping center that was supposed to have a Central Market or Market Street on PGBT and Las Colinas Blvd?

No worries! I was just kidding about nobody reading my messages. Yes, this property was recently approved with a new plan for a 4 story Lifetime Fitness Center, 4 restaurant pad sites and a 4 story office building. It'll be done in phases, and no mention of any restaurants coming. I know the original plan indicated Lazy Dog, Chuy's, PF Chang's, Hopdoddy's and a few others.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 04 May 2020 14:04

Tucy wrote: Is ExxonMobil starting to sell off some of their extra property?

So now we know the answer is yes... I sent an email over to DBJ and said they should dig into it. Within a few hour they had an answer. They're not looking to sell off "some" of their property, apparently they're looking to sell ALL of it. Interesting!

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... s_headline

muncien

Postby muncien » 04 May 2020 15:28

Wow... This is some fascinating stuff.

@Kelley USA - You seem to be a one may wrecking ball. haha Great work. Curious to see what come of all, or... any of this. I always felt that ExxonMobil land was such a waste and doing a bit of disservice as it was segregating the area. Once Las Colinas blvd was built through several years ago, it was all the more obvious how much space there was.
It's also interesting to see zoning changes from residential to commercial around here... That is contrary to almost all zoning changes in this area lately.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 May 2020 17:45

I wonder if a move to Houston is getting some thought, too.