Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Pukar2000

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby Pukar2000 » 03 Feb 2023 08:29

‘Zoning change requested’ sign is up on the premier lot at the intersection of LC Blvd and O’Connor in the Urban Center. Wondering what is being considered to be built at this prominent parcel??

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Feb 2023 10:50

If you're talking about the lot next to Gables Water Street, Gables still owns that property. It was destined for Phase 2 of Water Street. BUT, there has also been a very old zoning change sign on that lot that hasn't been removed yet. I'll have to drive by and take a look.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 03 Feb 2023 14:14

Copper & Vine is a Mediterranean and Italian inspired Win bar and Restaurant. Looks to be opening in March.

https://www.coppernvine.com/

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 22 Feb 2023 15:50

Was sort of digging around today and noticed a few pending leases. Looks like site plans have been updated with "pending" or "in-lease" for the Sleep Number space in front of Whole Foods, the vacant Red, Hot & Blue space and also the Walk-Ons space next to Lupe Tortilla. No mention of tenants, but all are pending.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 28 Feb 2023 13:27

Kelley USA wrote:Was sort of digging around today and noticed a few pending leases. Looks like site plans have been updated with "pending" or "in-lease" for the Sleep Number space in front of Whole Foods, the vacant Red, Hot & Blue space and also the Walk-Ons space next to Lupe Tortilla. No mention of tenants, but all are pending.

In this economy, that's good news. Especially with the continuing to increase chances that Wells Fargo will back out of their deal...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 01 Mar 2023 10:18

TXGunLover wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:Was sort of digging around today and noticed a few pending leases. Looks like site plans have been updated with "pending" or "in-lease" for the Sleep Number space in front of Whole Foods, the vacant Red, Hot & Blue space and also the Walk-Ons space next to Lupe Tortilla. No mention of tenants, but all are pending.

In this economy, that's good news. Especially with the continuing to increase chances that Wells Fargo will back out of their deal...

Oh, I hadn't heard about Wells Fargo maybe backing out. I actually was running by the area on Monday and saw guys putting up / fixing the fencing where the parking garage is going to go. So who knows! I mean, Gables put up fencing around their Water Street development that was there for 5+ years before they decided to break any ground. But if I'm being honest, I'm not that in love with the overall design of the WF campus. Would be great to have them, but I feel like they're REALLY missing the mark with the overall development on such a key (and the last tract) on the lake.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Mar 2023 11:27

TXGunLover wrote:

Whats the source of this story? Link?

Addison

Postby Addison » 01 Mar 2023 14:32

To be clear, there's nothing official that indicates Wells Fargo will abandon the project.

It's merely being speculated based on the company's organizational health (which, if you've been following the media and their press releases, isn't great), as they may no longer need as much new space as they're building in Las Colinas if they're going to be running leaner.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 01 Mar 2023 18:26

Addison wrote:To be clear, there's nothing official that indicates Wells Fargo will abandon the project.

It's merely being speculated based on the company's organizational health (which, if you've been following the media and their press releases, isn't great), as they may no longer need as much new space as they're building in Las Colinas if they're going to be running leaner.

Many city councilmen expect them to back out.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Mar 2023 10:09

I mean, who knows! I did see that this was recently added on the KDC website.

https://kdc.com/our-work/wells-fargo

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 10 Mar 2023 13:41

Looks like some new tenants have been added to Star Park at 161 / 114, including Saladworks, Rumble Boxing, Rachel's Kitchen, Salon, Dentist and YOLK. Not really a stellar lineup they've brought in, but at least they are filling out the space. I think only 2 spots would be left.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 10 Mar 2023 22:09

I actually don't think it's that bad for suburban product. The textured vertical panels are interesting. It has a mid 1960s feel to it, updated. And the tall, open covered roof is interesting as well.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 Mar 2023 22:30

Looks like the garage is going next to the Texican. That's pretty smart to keep prime lakefront space available.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Mar 2023 22:51

Kicks ass

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Mar 2023 09:30

Just an FYI, the roof is actually going to be solar panels. The design is growing on me a bit. I just think they really missed the mark, and really the last hope for Las Colinas to see anything built with any sort of height. There also seems to be very little connection to the surrounding developments. Feels more like a walled off - heavily landscaped development. I mean on the hard corner near the convention center, Westin, Texican Court, they could have incorporated some sort of fountain, small park, something to really interact with everything else going on.

Also, worth noting that some heavy machinery was brought onto the site within the last few days, and Saturday they were clearing & leveling some ground, which I assume is where the construction trailers are going to go. Also, some electric poles were put into place on the property.

If this is moving forward, wonder how long we'll have to wait for Mirasol to start on the accompanying apartment complex with ground floor retail?

vman

Postby vman » 13 Mar 2023 10:17

Kelley USA wrote:Looks like some new tenants have been added to Star Park at 161 / 114, including Saladworks, Rumble Boxing, Rachel's Kitchen, Salon, Dentist and YOLK. Not really a stellar lineup they've brought in, but at least they are filling out the space. I think only 2 spots would be left.

Is there any shopping strip in Irving that doesn't have a dental clinic in it? It seems to be mandatory.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 13 Mar 2023 10:43

vman wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:Looks like some new tenants have been added to Star Park at 161 / 114, including Saladworks, Rumble Boxing, Rachel's Kitchen, Salon, Dentist and YOLK. Not really a stellar lineup they've brought in, but at least they are filling out the space. I think only 2 spots would be left.

Is there any shopping strip in Irving that doesn't have a dental clinic in it? It seems to be mandatory.

Well, they can opt in for the obligatory Brazilian Meat Restaurant. Irving is approaching 1:1 per Capita coverage.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 15 Mar 2023 19:11

The Fry's deal is almost closed... then we'll know if it's Costco or HEB.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 15 Mar 2023 19:58

I've always thought that area needs a Costco.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 Mar 2023 10:36

I heard Costco, but certainly hoping it's HEB!

On another note, we can finally put to rest if Wells Fargo is going to back out of the deal. Looks like full steam ahead. There are probably 4 or 5 construction trailers that were moved on-site within the past few days, and construction signs are starting to be posted around the fencing (Gate 1, Gate 2 etc...).

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 Mar 2023 11:38

Looks like the City of Irving and Irving Fire is working with DART to build a new Fire Station 8 on the corner of Spur 348 & Riverside Drive (it's where the DART bus transit station sits).

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 18 Mar 2023 14:28

Kelley USA wrote:Looks like the City of Irving and Irving Fire is working with DART to build a new Fire Station 8 on the corner of Spur 348 & Riverside Drive (it's where the DART bus transit station sits).

Wish they'd restore basic sanitation before spending money on a fire station.

Rumor is, the once weekly pickup and 15 bag limit will become permanent, with no reduction in costs to residents.

We're still throwing away Christmas trash with the absurd 15 bags a week rule.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Mar 2023 14:38

Have heard that a plan is coming soon to activate the canal near Mandalay Canal. The Las Colinas Assoc and City of Irving are looking to invest up to $2 million on lighting, hardscape, signage etc... They'd really like to turn it into a destination where they can also host multiple festivals each year. And of course Retail Street Advisors is still working on the retail component for the canal. Not sure how much success they've had from interested restaurants??

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Mar 2023 12:28

In 50 years, Las Colinas goes from family ranch to bigger jobs hub than downtown Dallas
More than 150,000 people work in the 12,000-acre Irving development that’s one of country’s top business addresses.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... wn-dallas/

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 10 Apr 2023 16:09

Lots of activity at the old Cool River location. Any word on what's going in?

txjdirv

Postby txjdirv » 10 Apr 2023 19:15

Good question on Cool River. Several years ago I saw a rendering on a development site for a condo tower with a new Cool River on the ground floor. I had assumed that project was dead but it would be nice to see something like that revived.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Apr 2023 09:25

A good friend of mine was working this property. His firm had proposed a 12 story office building with a new cool river on the ground floor, but that deal fell through about 3 years ago. I know someone else owns the property now, and as far as I can tell it's still being actively marketed For Sale. But who knows. I don't think this part of Las Colinas is very desirable anymore, so curious to see what comes of it.

On another note, saw some survey crews on the site of the maybe "HEB" property this morning.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 11 Apr 2023 09:38

Kelley USA wrote:A good friend of mine was working this property. His firm had proposed a 12 story office building with a new cool river on the ground floor, but that deal fell through about 3 years ago. I know someone else owns the property now, and as far as I can tell it's still being actively marketed For Sale. But who knows. I don't think this part of Las Colinas is very desirable anymore, so curious to see what comes of it.

On another note, saw some survey crews on the site of the maybe "HEB" property this morning.

I increasingly believe it's probably a Costco, as little sense as that makes with two so nearby, but I guess it's better than nothing. HEB would be nice, Central Market even better, but both seem very unlikely.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Apr 2023 16:56

There's so much open land in Las colinas, some of it needs to go in the deep freeze.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Apr 2023 11:46

Wells Fargo to break ground (formally) on regional campus in Irving

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... 1#cxrecs_s

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 Apr 2023 09:50

Looks like they're trying to build a 5 story AC Hotel on the little sliver of land right next to the Holiday Inn Express near the Music Factory / Convention Center. Design is pretty bland, but looks like it would have a 2nd floor pool deck and a restaurant. Parking is an issue though, and from watching previous council meetings, they do seem to be sticklers at times regarding parking ratios.

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 17 Apr 2023 13:23

It would be better than an unused piece of green space! Let’s see what comes out of it.

I also wonder why they left off a square piece of land behind TMF facing 114 by the garage? They would have been better off building something as part of TMF. Maybe a future office build?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 Apr 2023 13:29

Looks like Kelly-Moore Paint is moving it's HQ to Las Colinas from California. Taking 15K sf of office space. Not a massive relocation, but another name brand company.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... to-irving/

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 19 Apr 2023 19:12

The TX DOT exception requested as part of the Fry's re-development has been granted.

txjdirv

Postby txjdirv » 20 Apr 2023 18:37

It looks like Credit Union of Texas will be moving in to the old Sleep Number building by Whole Foods.

https://retailproperties.cbre.us/property/output/document/view/id:115243

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Apr 2023 09:05

Wells Fargo’s regional campus becomes latest jewel in developer KDC’s crown
The Dallas-based developer has built Irving office projects totaling more than $3 billion.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... dcs-crown/

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 21 Apr 2023 10:06

Sickies Burgers Garage will be opening in the old Walk On's location on Regent.

txjdirv

Postby txjdirv » 24 Apr 2023 14:56

Kelley USA wrote:Looks like they're trying to build a 5 story AC Hotel on the little sliver of land right next to the Holiday Inn Express near the Music Factory / Convention Center. Design is pretty bland, but looks like it would have a 2nd floor pool deck and a restaurant. Parking is an issue though, and from watching previous council meetings, they do seem to be sticklers at times regarding parking ratios.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2023/04/24/marriott-boutique-brand-plans-new-las-colinas-hotel-near-convention-center/

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Apr 2023 09:56

TXGunLover wrote:Sickies Burgers Garage will be opening in the old Walk On's location on Regent.

Interesting! Looks like a cool concept. Food isn't that much different from what Walk-On's offered, and they failed miserably in this location. Concept kind of looks like Ford's Garage in Plano which is a cool place. Hopefully it does great!

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 25 Apr 2023 10:27

Kelley USA wrote:
TXGunLover wrote:Sickies Burgers Garage will be opening in the old Walk On's location on Regent.

Interesting! Looks like a cool concept. Food isn't that much different from what Walk-On's offered, and they failed miserably in this location. Concept kind of looks like Ford's Garage in Plano which is a cool place. Hopefully it does great!

ALL walk-ons declined during the pandemic. They had great food that eventually became garbage. Others all over the LA/East Texas area declined about the same time ours did... it was good in the beginning and then went south...

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 29 Apr 2023 13:49

TXGunLover wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:

ALL walk-ons declined during the pandemic. They had great food that eventually became garbage. Others all over the LA/East Texas area declined about the same time ours did... it was good in the beginning and then went south...

Yet another restaurant concept tied to a big sports figure. Those places have to have more than athlete-infused limelight--the food and service have to be good also.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 May 2023 11:51

ChopShop Restaurant / Bar will be taking the old Red Hot & Blue space at Las Colinas Village. They have locations in Carrollton, Roanoke, McKinney and I believe they just opened a new location in Victory Park.

On another note, I'm kind of surprised the approach the leasing company is taking with this shopping center. What should be a crown jewel of a shopping center, they leased an 8000sf spot to a criminal with no record of operating a restaurant (Michael's of Las Colinas), they leased 12K sf to a poker house that the City of Dallas has sued multiple times, and now ChopShop. I mean, nothing against ChopShop, but doesn't really evoke the upscale feel I've always thought this shopping center should have. Really thought they'd go more the way of Hudson House. They also ripped out most of the landscaping, and when I sent an email to the leasing company, they told me they wouldn't be replacing or making upgrades to the facility for another 3 - 5 years. Very odd to me!

vman

Postby vman » 02 May 2023 12:03

Kelley USA wrote:ChopShop Restaurant / Bar will be taking the old Red Hot & Blue space at Las Colinas Village. They have locations in Carrollton, Roanoke, McKinney and I believe they just opened a new location in Victory Park.

On another note, I'm kind of surprised the approach the leasing company is taking with this shopping center. What should be a crown jewel of a shopping center, they leased an 8000sf spot to a criminal with no record of operating a restaurant (Michael's of Las Colinas), they leased 12K sf to a poker house that the City of Dallas has sued multiple times, and now ChopShop. I mean, nothing against ChopShop, but doesn't really evoke the upscale feel I've always thought this shopping center should have. Really thought they'd go more the way of Hudson House. They also ripped out most of the landscaping, and when I sent an email to the leasing company, they told me they wouldn't be replacing or making upgrades to the facility for another 3 - 5 years. Very odd to me!

It's not that odd to me. ALL of Irving has the weirdest, most all-over-the-place restaurant/retail mix than any other city in the metroplex.

Addison

Postby Addison » 02 May 2023 16:56

In the current economic and financial environment, landlords can't be too picky about their tenants, especially if they're not in the most trendy or wealthy area (which Las Colinas is not these days).

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 03 May 2023 06:36

Is ChopShop the same as the Original ChopShop just a few blocks north on Macarthur?

https://order.originalchopshop.com/menu/las-colinas

Seems like they're just moving.

To be fair that entire shopping center only has 1 real entrance from any used traffic path. It is and has always been terribly designed.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 May 2023 11:28

TXGunLover wrote:Is ChopShop the same as the Original ChopShop just a few blocks north on Macarthur?

To be fair that entire shopping center only has 1 real entrance from any used traffic path. It is and has always been terribly designed.

Sounds confusing, but no, they are very different concepts. One of them is a healthy fast casual chain, and the other is a sit-down chain full of fatty foods. www.chopshoplascolinas.com

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 15 May 2023 18:24

Kelley USA wrote:
TXGunLover wrote:Is ChopShop the same as the Original ChopShop just a few blocks north on Macarthur?

Sounds confusing, but no, they are very different concepts. One of them is a healthy fast casual chain, and the other is a sit-down chain full of fatty foods. http://www.chopshoplascolinas.com

Add that to the new Sickie's Garage and we're either chop shopped or Garage'd over in Irving! :D

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 31 May 2023 10:56

I am pretty amazed at how slow the Fry's "deal" is coming about. We heard from our city council member in December that a deal was "days away".

vman

Postby vman » 31 May 2023 14:17

Tupelo Honey opens next week (June 6) in Star Park and I see another space in the shopping center is being worked on.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 01 Jun 2023 09:33

vman wrote:Tupelo Honey opens next week (June 6) in Star Park and I see another space in the shopping center is being worked on.

Yes, I was lucky enough to snag a reservation for the Friends & Family event at Tupelo on Sat night. Free food! The other spot currently being built-out is for a dentist, nothing special. But the Tupelo looks nice- they did a great job with it! Also still trying to figure out if they're going to add a Moxie's to the Sandman Signature hotel. Construction on that thing has been painfully slow!