Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Kelley USA

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Dec 2016 14:59

I found out a little more scoop... It's slated for a 170 room Embassy Suites. It's almost like some of these hotels are trying to get closer to the Urban Center, especially with the IMF and Water Street going up.

I've often pondered the excess land that Exxon has. Like others have mentioned, I think they are VERY content sitting on it and using it as a buffer for their headquarters. If anything though, I think it would be perfect property for high-end homes, perhaps a nice gated community.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 10 Jan 2017 13:43

Goosehead Insurance has rented 62,000 square feet of office space in the Solana development in Westlake on State Highway 114 moving from an office on Royal in Irving.

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Jan 2017 09:50

Nothing new in this article, but it contains a good run down of what's going on in Irving/Las Colinas...
http://www.irvingweekly.com/s/2228/Irving-Hits-30-year-Construction-Record.php
The numbers are illuminating.

During the past fiscal year, Irving’s construction valuation topped $819 million — the highest in 30 years. Six years ago, it was $348 million, less than half of today’s number. The city issued 616 new home permits last year — more than double the number from six years ago. The average new home permit value is just under $400,000.

So what does this mean?

It means thousands of new, good jobs. It means Irving’s commercial vacancy rate is so low, new office buildings are under construction to satisfy demand. It means lots of nice, new homes; new restaurants; new retail; and more visitors. Lastly, all the construction drives additional tax revenue that helps the city fund critical infrastructure — roads and underground utility needs. An important fact to know: Irving’s corporations and businesses contribute 73 percent of Irving’s tax base, a tremendous benefit to residents and one very few cities can claim.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 12 Jan 2017 11:31

An important fact to know: Irving’s corporations and businesses contribute 73 percent of Irving’s tax base, a tremendous benefit to residents and one very few cities can claim.

I thought they were fudging a bit, but no, like 66% of the landmass of Irving is what would be considered low income housing, taxed between $1-and $150k. Basically everything south of N. O'Connor Road.

They need to stop subsidizing business growth and subsidize some serious updates to their residential property as the funds of the city are all most completely at the whims of business. And its not really a benefit to the residents as Irving's blended rate is .02 less than Dallas, and higher than most of the major DFW suburbs.

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Jan 2017 14:44

Believe it or not, South Irving actually has considerable political sway in city hall. I would venture to say they're even with the North boosters. That's not something most cities can say. There have been repeated efforts to get things going in the south. You can even look at any given city counsel meeting and see city funds being approved to rehab individual residences in the south. I honestly don't know any city that goes to that extent to improve individual private property. Code enforcement also does a solid job and 'trying' to keep the order. They enforce things that most HOA's don't even make much effort to enforce.
The problem is, you can only do so much... The quality of construction of many of the homes in southern Irving is just pretty lousy. The school district is awful, and most anyone with school age children and the money will take them elsewhere. In the end, the city knows its geographic location will keep it in play on the business side and they end up catering to that effect. I honestly don't blame them. Although, I wish there was more we could do from an education standpoint. Luckily, much of the Northern half of the city falls under school districts other than Irving ISD.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 12 Jan 2017 14:52

Most of the north is in CFBISD and that's not a whole lot better. As a parent and a 20 year Las Colinas resident, I believe education options, not entertainment options are what's missing in Las Colinas. South Irving to me, is only a welfare state spending the money from taxes from north Irving, again, in my opinion.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Jan 2017 15:40

To me, the problem has always been that Irving allowed WAY too many apartments to be developed. There are an incredible number of complexes that are outdated and quite frankly run down. I would love to see the City come up with a plan and perhaps give incentives to developers to purchase these properties, tear them down and turn them into single family developments. I know that wouldn't work for every complex, but in certain pockets a developer could purchase 3-4 complexes in a row and develop quality housing. Single family units are pretty hot right now in Irving! Also remember that the 3 residential developments at 114 and Beltline are all Coppell ISD which has helped them sell rather quickly.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Jan 2017 15:41

If you haven't been by the Music Factory lately it is really incredible! Going like gangbusters! This bit of news has been speculated for quite awhile but it hasn't really been made public until now...

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... j=77057891

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Jan 2017 16:05

Kelley USA wrote:To me, the problem has always been that Irving allowed WAY too many apartments to be developed. There are an incredible number of complexes that are outdated and quite frankly run down. I would love to see the City come up with a plan and perhaps give incentives to developers to purchase these properties, tear them down and turn them into single family developments. I know that wouldn't work for every complex, but in certain pockets a developer could purchase 3-4 complexes in a row and develop quality housing. Single family units are pretty hot right now in Irving! Also remember that the 3 residential developments at 114 and Beltline are all Coppell ISD which has helped them sell rather quickly.

I wouldn't pin it on 'apartments' in general, but more the quality of apartments, and ensuring their use suits the area. I know 'garden' apartments were all the rage when Irving was expanding and as such that's what we have to live with. They've aged horribly for the most part.

Putting more focus on density around 'town center' type areas where more services are within walking distance, and transit options exist are a much better alternative than simply spattering mediocre apartments here and there.
As for single family... the southern hoods are still pretty beat up. But, I think the key to recovering them is to focus on making key areas ('catalyst sites' as their called in irving's planning), and allowing success of those sites to radiate outwards. Creating access alternatives from surrounding communities into the town centers and catalyst sites will help tie them together and encourage private investment in those neighborhoods. The one good thing about the south being established is that it is heavily wooded and has several ROW that can easily be converted to access paths (many of them already have been).

muncien

Postby muncien » 12 Jan 2017 16:09

Kelley USA wrote:If you haven't been by the Music Factory lately it is really incredible! Going like gangbusters! This bit of news has been speculated for quite awhile but it hasn't really been made public until now...

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... j=77057891

Isn't there a vote on this at tonights meeting? And isn't the suggestion from P&Z to reject the request? I realize the city counsel doesn't always follow the recommendation, but you'd think they would have held off before publishing the article.

I had hoped the proposal was for an outsider, but I think it's a good fit for Kidd Kraddick. Being on the canals hasn't exactly done much for them or the urban center.

vman

Postby vman » 13 Jan 2017 07:18

muncien wrote:

I wouldn't pin it on 'apartments' in general, but more the quality of apartments, and ensuring their use suits the area. I know 'garden' apartments were all the rage when Irving was expanding and as such that's what we have to live with. They've aged horribly for the most part.

Putting more focus on density around 'town center' type areas where more services are within walking distance, and transit options exist are a much better alternative than simply spattering mediocre apartments here and there.
As for single family... the southern hoods are still pretty beat up. But, I think the key to recovering them is to focus on making key areas ('catalyst sites' as their called in irving's planning), and allowing success of those sites to radiate outwards. Creating access alternatives from surrounding communities into the town centers and catalyst sites will help tie them together and encourage private investment in those neighborhoods. The one good thing about the south being established is that it is heavily wooded and has several ROW that can easily be converted to access paths (many of them already have been).

Actually, I've found some of the neighborhoods south of 183 to be quite nice and well maintained. Those homeowners should be commended. I also think it's not a bad thing that parts of Irving offer some affordable housing stock for first time homebuyers and if south Irving and some of the areas immediately north of 183 improves and cleans itself up, affordable housing could be the catalyst for older parts of Irving to become solid neighborhoods again. I do agree that the amount of aging apartments are a huge problem and needs to be dealt with. But I'm hoping the 183 redo will help south Irving revitalize.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Jan 2017 08:52

I know some creative types who've moved to these old Irving neighborhoods, shaping up to be sorta like M Streets/Greenville --> Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts --> South Irving. Downtown Irving has more potential than most give it credit. Good things are happening in Irving. I've always liked Las Colinas for an extensive RTVF studio & production presence.

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Jan 2017 08:58

I still hold out some hope that historic downtown (sorry, I can't use the 'heritage crossing' name) can become a destination in itself. I think we need to manage our expectations though and not expect some sort of retail destination. Instead, the focus should be on residential walk ups, with quality aesthetics (brick & iron work), and simply allow the existing retail to improve. I'd love for some quality small dining options or dare I say... wine tasting, places to fill in here. Irving blvd also needs to be narrowed and slowed through here.
I'm glad to see that the surrounding area has been putting a stronger focus on residential and I hope the same continues into the core (although, slightly more dense). The long term plan has some solid design requirements for this area that restrict parking locations, driveway entrances, and aesthetics. Those should be helpful as well.
Lastly, a complete redo of Irving Mall would do wonders for that area. On that front, I believe we need to have our expectations a bit higher. It's location and traffic count is just too valuable to simply put some lipstick on it.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Jan 2017 12:22

Man, what a cluster of a scene last night at City Council... The agenda item pertaining to the Kidd Kraddick Morning Show moving to the Irving Music Factory originally passed by a 5-4 vote. This was after the Mayor chastised city staff publicly for about 5 minutes and gave Rick Lazes with ARK the biggest "B" looks you could possibly imagine. Then after 2 other agenda items had already been voted on, one of the council members decided he wanted to go back and change his vote pertaining to the KKMS. So they had to recall the original vote and vote again. This time the agenda item failed by a 5-3 vote with 1 council member abstaining. It was a hot mess! So needless to say, it does not appear the KKMS will be moving to the IMF as of now. There were other items tied into this particular agenda item but the KKMS was certainly the one most talked about.

I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand I understand the Mayor and certain council members claiming that allowing ARK to convert said retail space into flex office space for radio / tv was not part of the plan for retail. Instead, it was supposed to be part of the plan for the office component but ARK instead leased all that space to Ethos (one single tenant). The office component was originally designed to house a number of companies in the entertainment industry like production companies, booking agencies, tv / radio etc... But, on the other hand I think the exposure that having the KKMS within the IMF could be unmeasurable. The idea was to have a window where people could watch the KKMS much like you can now down on the canal, and also have the ability to have live performances outside for entertainers / celebrities that come to visit the show. Also, the TV show Dish Nation films at the current KKMS every day. Having the IMF as the backdrop is really free publicity for the development and the City of Irving.

I guess we'll see what happens moving forward, but would certainly hate for them to leave Las Colinas!

vman

Postby vman » 13 Jan 2017 12:54

^^
Am I wrong, that as a new(ish) Irving resident I care nothing about this radio show moving to IMF? I honestly didn't think anyone listened to radio shows very much anymore and isn't terrestrial radio a dying medium?

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Jan 2017 13:11

I have to say that I too was torn about which way to go even before the meeting last night, so I'm not surprised it unfolded the way it did. That said, the fault really does fall to Ark Group for how they handled the 100k sq ft of office they had. I don't feel bad for them as they leased it out 100% very quickly, and will make good money off of it. But coming back now and trying to change the agreement was dubious. Had this been a private development, "sure... no prob, change use as you like. Here's your variance", but with the insane way this public/private development is written, and all the complexities of the $$$ involved, the safe bet was to keep it as it was. Best bet would have been if they got in the game earlier and swooped up some of the original space.

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 Jan 2017 13:21

Maybe it's a stretch, but it seems to me they could get the best of both worlds if they wished. Simply incorporate a bar/lounge into the studio. The hours don't overlay at all, so function wise it would be easy. Treat it like a piano bar or comedy club, or something, I don't know. That 'mix' of use is the tricky part, but we've seen similar concepts before so I don't think it's out of the question. Win/Win for everyone.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Jan 2017 14:59

My only concern moving forward is that the 2nd level retail spaces will sit vacant for quite some time. Even ARK has indicated it's more profitable for them if they can lease it to a restaurant / retail tenant, but they have had zero luck! And I'm okay if it sits vacant for a little bit until a good quality tenant comes along, but I fear if it sits vacant too long it'll be leased to Barbra's Fro Yo House and Teddy's Gourmet Burrito Shack that'll most likely go out of business within a year. If it sits vacant that's a lose-lose for both ARK and the City!

On another note, the city passed pretty much everything as it relates to the Convention Center Hotel. It's a go! We should actually see ground being broken in April or May. They released a new rendering and I have to say I was impressed. It looks fantastic IMO! It's the same design but much more glass and some other additional features. If anyone cares to watch the Work Session from Wednesday you can see the renderings.

jeffbrown2002

Postby jeffbrown2002 » 13 Jan 2017 17:56

Any word on if or how the Las Colinas APT people mover will reach the new Music Factory development? I've seen everything from plans to extend the guideway to the median of Las Colinas Boulevard with an adjacent station, to a stop (awkwardly placed) just behind the main stage, to no access at all.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 Jan 2017 10:58

The last I heard there will not be an ATP stop at the Music Factory. There will definitely be one at Water Street though. Hopefully that'll change over time though.

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 Jan 2017 08:56

^^^
That was my observation as well. No APT station at Music Factory. That's a little disappointing as it seems like the one thing that would have drawn major usage of the APT. I haven't used the Urban Towers station in years, but I don't think it's functional as a Music Factory stop. From what I recall, you exit right into the lobby of the Urban Towers, and I doubt they want all that through traffic. But, maybe there's another way out that I don't remember.
I suppose folks will just drive from their work garage to the MF garage ('MF' garage... lol. I can't help but say that with Samuel L Jackson voice).

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 Jan 2017 11:51

Just realized that one of the cranes has been taken down at the Music Factory. They're actually starting on the 1st floor of the office tower now on top of the garage. It's really coming along!

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Jan 2017 12:31

Kelley USA wrote:Just realized that one of the cranes has been taken down at the Music Factory. They're actually starting on the 1st floor of the office tower now on top of the garage. It's really coming along!

Yeah, It's looking quite impressive. I can't wait until the hotel breaks ground (finally). With that, and then eventually North Shore and the other hotel, seems like this corner will be endless construction for some time.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Jan 2017 19:05

Here's the work session packet that has new renderings for the CC Hotel. http://cityofirving.org/DocumentCenter/View/21694 The only thing I don't really like is the parking lot in front of the hotel on Las Colinas Blvd. Which they would eliminate that and just turn it into green space or something!?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 26 Jan 2017 17:00

For Starbucks lovers that need a coffee fix in the Urban Center, there won't be one at either The Music Factory or Water Street, but there will be one inside the new Westin Convention Center Hotel. I could actually see people walking up to the hotel on Saturday & Sunday mornings to get some java and a pastry!

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 27 Jan 2017 06:35

Kelley USA wrote:For Starbucks lovers that need a coffee fix in the Urban Center, there won't be one at either The Music Factory or Water Street, but there will be one inside the new Westin Convention Center Hotel. I could actually see people walking up to the hotel on Saturday & Sunday mornings to get some java and a pastry!

Really is quite strange the lack of Starbucks within the Urban Center. I always imagined having one in Williams Square in one of side towers would have been a great attraction for people to stay a bit longer in the Urban Center and walk around.

muncien

Postby muncien » 27 Jan 2017 11:14

^^^^
Totally... How Water Street doesn't get one is mind boggling.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Jan 2017 12:10

At one point Starbucks did appear on the site plan for Water Street... They do still have some vacant spots to fill so perhaps it might happen?!

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 27 Jan 2017 14:41

muncien wrote:^^^^
Totally... How Water Street doesn't get one is mind boggling.

I personally would still prefer to see a Starbucks go on the other side of the street, at Williams Square. It would really liven up both sides of the Boulevard and provide much more of a city atmosphere.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 27 Jan 2017 14:55

Starbucks has one of the most robust expansion programs still underway today. They will open where they find areas that can be profitable (revenue surpasses expenses).

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Jan 2017 19:39

Maybe they will get something else that is not Starbucks. A little variety wouldn't hurt.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Feb 2017 09:54

I've been told that Twisted Root is no longer in the plans for Water Street. That's weird considering they were one of the highly touted tenants for the project. Perhaps their growth plans have changed. I would actually love to see Snuffers or even Jake's. Would really love to see Hopdoddy but I know that ain't happening!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Feb 2017 16:22

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Feb 2017 16:25

So nice to see activity in LC again.

muncien

Postby muncien » 02 Feb 2017 16:26

That's good news about IMF. As for Twisted Root on Water Street... That's a little disappointing, but you just rattled off four of my top five burger joints in these parts, so I too would be perfectly happy with any of them taking the spot. Curious as to what it will be...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Feb 2017 21:58

Water Street still has some pretty prime spots, so hopefully they're being choosy about tenants. The retail portion is actually moving quite along. They've started to brick a few of the buildings now and you can see how the fronts are starting to take shape. They also trimmed the trees in the front on O'Connor so you get much better picture of how things might look.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Feb 2017 22:05

Is there a bar scene in Las Colinas?

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 03 Feb 2017 04:03

tamtagon wrote:Is there a bar scene in Las Colinas?

HAHAHA, I think that's the running joke from those of us who grew up in the area.

If you don't count BWW, Boston's or the small Italian Pizzeria in the Urban Center, then no.

vman

Postby vman » 03 Feb 2017 07:14

What retail is coming to these developments? Not only has the bar/restaurant scene in Irving been pretty lousy, so is the retail scene. With the death (an yes, it is a dead mall) of Irving mall, there seems to be very few major retailers with locations in Irving. With so many things going for Irving... location, diversity, jobs and growth... the city seems so under-serviced in so many ways.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Feb 2017 11:24

ContriveDallasite wrote:
tamtagon wrote:Is there a bar scene in Las Colinas?

HAHAHA, I think that's the running joke from those of us who grew up in the area.

If you don't count BWW, Boston's or the small Italian Pizzeria in the Urban Center, then no.

That's probably the biggest thing holding Las Colinas back.

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Feb 2017 11:56

vman wrote:What retail is coming to these developments? Not only has the bar/restaurant scene in Irving been pretty lousy, so is the retail scene. With the death (an yes, it is a dead mall) of Irving mall, there seems to be very few major retailers with locations in Irving. With so many things going for Irving... location, diversity, jobs and growth... the city seems so under-serviced in so many ways.

It seems that Irving has all their retail 'eggs' in the Texas Stadium site 'basket'. The plans for that area are pretty promising, but whether (or when) it actually happens is a BIG question mark.

As for the bar scene... The current food vs alcohol sale ratio still makes a traditional bar impossible, but those ratios have been relaxed in certain areas recently (the urban center being one of them), and certain drinking establishments that still have reasonable food sales should take hold soon. IMF and Water Street should be incubators for such.

EDIT:
Previous sales limit was 60/40 Food vs Alcohol sales
Current sales limit is 50/50 city wide, and 30/70 in the Urban Center.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Feb 2017 15:35

Unfortunately virtually no new retail is coming with either development. It's all restaurant / service oriented spaces. Definitely no bar scene here in Las Colinas. The most popular options seem to be The Ranch, Cool River, Mi Cocina and Champps. But that of course is ALL about to change soon! Here's an update in the DBJ today on The Music Factory...

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... j=77282341

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Feb 2017 16:59

Sadly... SPIN Pizza has been my local 'bar scene'. haha

But hey, you can't beat $2 pints on all beer (including craft beers) on Thursdays!

Our Glass up at Macarthur and 635 ain't bad either... if your up for some pool, and can withstand the smoke.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Feb 2017 14:31

Looks like Kabuki Japanese has been removed from the site plan for the Irving Music Factory. They were one of the first tenants to sign on. I'm actually okay with this, opens up a nice spot for another quality tenant.

vman

Postby vman » 06 Feb 2017 15:29

Kelley USA wrote:Looks like Kabuki Japanese has been removed from the site plan for the Irving Music Factory. They were one of the first tenants to sign on. I'm actually okay with this, opens up a nice spot for another quality tenant.

No problem for me either. Irving has absolutely no shortage of Asian or Indian restaurants.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Feb 2017 11:02

I saw a sign in a window for an Alcohol Permit request next door to Jinbeh (by the Omni). It's a for a place called Hops & Vines. Looks to either be a beer and wine store or a small bar featuring beer and wine. My hope is that we'll see a little bit more activity in the current empty storefronts along Las Colinas from independent restaurant / retailers that want to be near Water Street. I think a little wine shop would be cool!

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 Feb 2017 12:38

Kelley USA wrote:I saw a sign in a window for an Alcohol Permit request next door to Jinbeh (by the Omni). It's a for a place called Hops & Vines. Looks to either be a beer and wine store or a small bar featuring beer and wine. My hope is that we'll see a little bit more activity in the current empty storefronts along Las Colinas from independent restaurant / retailers that want to be near Water Street. I think a little wine shop would be cool!

Very good to see... Those retail spots have struggled for as long as I can remember. It seems to me that one simple change could activate that strip significantly. If they could replace the grass between the store fronts and the side walks with a sitting area (think Trinity Groves) and help connect those places with the Las Colinas blvd, it would make a huge difference. They could still keep some trees and planters, but provide an area for tables, string lighting, fire pits, etc...

I wish they could have timed this with the rebuild of Las Colinas blvd. Would have made the most of that construction time...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Feb 2017 14:12

I saw a site plan today that looked like Frontburner Restaurants (same team behind The Ranch) has leased space to build both a Whisky Cake & Sixty Vines on 635 where the new Pinstack is going up...

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 27 Feb 2017 17:19

Mobile crane fell over today at the Water Street site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6rpAW52Zk

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Mar 2017 10:39

The new HQ for Pioneer Natural Resources at the Hidden Ridge Development comes before P&Z tonight. Plans call for a 10 story tower with a 7 story parking garage. Hoping to see some renderings!