Las Colinas/North Irving Development

lwtx

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby lwtx » 27 May 2022 22:01

Nice. Hope it’s something really significant. Any indication of how much of the remaining empty property was included? Seems like such a great site.

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 28 May 2022 17:34

That’s pretty exciting! Your description of the Northshore Project mostly mimics what is the projected site plans shown on KDC’s website:

https://kdc.com/our-work/north-shore-la ... ban-center

lwtx

Postby lwtx » 01 Jun 2022 15:35

Very exciting! Similar headline in the DBJ:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 02 Jun 2022 08:23

After reopening in April, Walk-On's has gone out of business. Signs are gone and their website no longer lists the location.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Jun 2022 09:25

So, I may or may not have helped both the DMN & DBJ break the North Shore news... :) I was really hoping that either of them would dig a little bit more into the project and come up with some renderings. I know the both have contacts at KDC & GFF, but seems like everyone is still pretty tight lipped about this.

As for Walk-On's, it was never really busy even after they opened. They're currently building a new location in Euless, and work on that location basically seems stalled for the past several months. I went a few times and thought it was good.

lwtx

Postby lwtx » 09 Jun 2022 20:42

Say Kelley, looks like construction has started again on the site at Bush Tpk and Las Colinas Blvd (where Market Street was going to be). Any idea what’s planned now? I’m guessing retail since there’s a “For Lease” sign by the road. Good to see movement again after they dozed the trees then stopped.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 10 Jun 2022 07:08

lwtx wrote:Say Kelley, looks like construction has started again on the site at Bush Tpk and Las Colinas Blvd (where Market Street was going to be). Any idea what’s planned now? I’m guessing retail since there’s a “For Lease” sign by the road. Good to see movement again after they dozed the trees then stopped.

Lifetime fitness...

vman

Postby vman » 10 Jun 2022 07:19

TXGunLover wrote:
lwtx wrote:Say Kelley, looks like construction has started again on the site at Bush Tpk and Las Colinas Blvd (where Market Street was going to be). Any idea what’s planned now? I’m guessing retail since there’s a “For Lease” sign by the road. Good to see movement again after they dozed the trees then stopped.

Lifetime fitness...

Is Lifetime the only thing going there? The entire plot of land has been cleared and it's a huge space.

Addison

Postby Addison » 10 Jun 2022 07:28

vman wrote:
TXGunLover wrote:

Lifetime fitness...

Is Lifetime the only thing going there? The entire plot of land has been cleared and it's a huge space.

The square footage for a Lifetime Fitness can vary widely.

There's a 42K sq. ft. location in Far North Dallas, and then they're opening a 255K sq. ft. location in Houston.

If what's going on the land in question is in fact a Lifetime Fitness, it's possible that location will run on the higer end in size.
Last edited by Addison on 10 Jun 2022 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 10 Jun 2022 07:44

Yes, it sounds like it. There are mention of some mid-tier restaurants as well, but given how quickly that plan fell apart a few years ago, I'll believe it when I see it.

lwtx

Postby lwtx » 11 Jun 2022 10:08

Agreed. The site has always seemed questionable to me for retail, with no visibility and tricky access. Destination businesses like LTF might help. Thanks for the info.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 13 Jun 2022 09:32

Hey, yes, Lifetime Fitness is going in. The site is being prepared to accommodate 4 pad sites for restaurants, and a 2 story office building is also part of the current plan. Not sure if we'll see any of the restaurants come back that were signed as part of the original plan before Market Street pulled out. But I do know Chuy's, Hopdoddy & Lazy Dog had all signed LOI's.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Jun 2022 12:00

Score another Fortune 500 for Irving / Las Colinas! Caterpillar is officially moving. I remember when they leased at Williams Square last year, it wwas supposed to be just a regional office. I guess they were being a bit coy.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/loc ... to-irving/

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 14 Jun 2022 13:26

Looks like Builders Firstsource, another Fortune 500 is also relocating from Dallas downtown to Las Colinas. This means, at least until Exxon Mobile formally moves out, Las Colinas will be home to 10 Fortune 500 HQs. At this rate, looking forward for LC to soon beat the count in Dallas!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... utType=amp
Last edited by Pukar2000 on 14 Jun 2022 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 14 Jun 2022 14:20

Pukar2000 wrote:Looks like Builders Firstsource, another Fortune 500 is also relocating from Dallas downtown to Las Colinas. This means, at least until Exxon Mobile formally moves out, Las Colinas will be home to 10 Fortune 500 HQs. At this rate, looking forward for LC to soon beat the count in downtown Dallas!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... utType=amp

With Builders FirstSource's exit, Downtown Dallas only has three Fortune 500 headquarters, so it looks like even after losing Exxon Mobil, Las Colinas will have three times the number of Fortune 500 companies as downtown Dallas.

AT&T
Jacobs Engineering
Enlink Midstream

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 14 Jun 2022 14:56

Per 2022 listing, Dallas has 11 Fortune 500 and 8 Fortune 1000 compared to Las Colinas with 8 (plus Caterpillar plus Builders Firstsource) and 3 Fortune 1000. We need 2 more relocations in LC in order to beat the count in Dallas.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 14 Jun 2022 15:06

Your first post compared Las Colinas to downtown Dallas, which only has three.

The 11 in Dallas includes Builders FirstSource, so Dallas is now down to 10, With the addition of Builders FirstSource and Caterpillar, Las Colinas is up to 10. So, Las Colinas needs only 1 more to move ahead of the entire city of Dallas.

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 14 Jun 2022 22:58

@Well Fargo

Addison

Postby Addison » 15 Jun 2022 07:52

ajderry2017 wrote:@Well Fargo

Fingers crossed!

And Goldman Sachs for downtown, while we're at it.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 15 Jun 2022 13:39

With all the growth in Las Colinas... is there any hope of the APT coming back online?

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 15 Jun 2022 13:45

It would be timely to see it come back alive! Below is the last update from 2020, when DCURD published a RFP to not only upgrade the system, but also expand the rails further into the Planned Northshore Project, TMF, Convention Center, and even onto the Riverside Drive, plus 2 infill stations within existing tracks…Let’s see when we see though!

https://dcurd.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ct-RFI.pdf

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Jun 2022 10:41

Just going to leave this here... Mandalay Canal Walk. Not sure if it'll ever come to fruition, but this info was just posted on the Retail Street website on Friday. If nothing else, some nice renderings.

https://www.retailstreetadvisors.com/pr ... canalalley

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 20 Jun 2022 12:57

EDIT: Wrong thread :lol:
Last edited by potatocoins on 21 Jun 2022 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 20 Jun 2022 17:42

potatocoins wrote:I think a brand new condo tower where the units are priced under $1mm could do well in the Knox area. I could also see a condo tower at the upcoming Quadrangle re-development, a tower in West Village, or a tower in Deep Ellum doing well too.

It seems like the few condo towers we get in Dallas are priced significantly higher and, personally, I think the location of these towers is just 'okay'.

Wrong thread? :lol:

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 21 Jun 2022 10:41

Lol, whoops. Absolutely!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Jul 2022 10:18

The Wells Fargo development and accompanying Apartment complex were approved by P&Z last night. I have to say, I'm VERY underwhelmed by the overall layout and design of the project. The Wells Fargo campus will be 800K sf and could eventually expand to 1.6M sf. It's basically a suburban style campus - 2 buildings - 10 floors - 400K sf each. The apartment complex seems to be a little better. 7 floors along Las Colinas Blvd with ground floor retail, and then drops down to 5 floors at the back of the complex along the lake.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... 0-workers/

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 06 Jul 2022 11:05

Kelley USA wrote:The Wells Fargo development and accompanying Apartment complex were approved by P&Z last night. I have to say, I'm VERY underwhelmed by the overall layout and design of the project. The Wells Fargo campus will be 800K sf and could eventually expand to 1.6M sf. It's basically a suburban style campus - 2 buildings - 10 floors - 400K sf each. The apartment complex seems to be a little better. 7 floors along Las Colinas Blvd with ground floor retail, and then drops down to 5 floors at the back of the complex along the lake.

Is Irving getting this without subsidizing it?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 06 Jul 2022 11:23

Tucy wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:The Wells Fargo development and accompanying Apartment complex were approved by P&Z last night. I have to say, I'm VERY underwhelmed by the overall layout and design of the project. The Wells Fargo campus will be 800K sf and could eventually expand to 1.6M sf. It's basically a suburban style campus - 2 buildings - 10 floors - 400K sf each. The apartment complex seems to be a little better. 7 floors along Las Colinas Blvd with ground floor retail, and then drops down to 5 floors at the back of the complex along the lake.

Is Irving getting this without subsidizing it?

There have been Executive Session talks regarding this project, but nothing has been made public. I assume there will be some sort of subsidy here.

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 14 Jul 2022 08:38

North shore development news is exciting. The approved construction mostly mimics the plans on KDCs website: https://kdc.com/our-work/north-shore-la ... ban-center , except the following:
1. Wells Fargo to also have its own garage (article states they will use the new one across the st/next to Texican)
2. Wells Fargo island to also have room for another future office
3. Room for 2 office towers in the island across TMF; one with ground floor retail too
4. Luxury hotel along waterfront

Let’s see if any of these would still be added in a future development phase of Northshore!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 15 Jul 2022 10:57

The City Council approved these plans last night. Not sure when we might get an official announcement or any sort of ground breaking. I would think this is probably still a year away. From chatting with one of the City Council members, he indicated they're still trying to get the horse into the barn. Work still be done to get the "client" finalized. As he said, "there's a lot of people trying to get their finger into the pie".

As for what you see on the KDC website, plans have changed somewhat. On the initial tract we're only going to get the 800K sf (2 - 10 story buildings) and the apartment project. The apartment project will have anywhere from 2500 - 30K sf of retail. On the adjoining tract, the client will hold onto that for an additional 800K sf of office for a future development. The remainder of the tract will be held for an additional office tenant, but no hotel and no additional retail is planned. It's basically just going to be a massive office campus for Wells Fargo (plus the 1 apartment project).

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Jul 2022 15:42

They are using the apartment part to buffer the office component so they can still claim its "mixed-use" project in the headlines. Again it's pretty obvious Wells Fargo wanted a boring back office complex and wasn't looking to make a major splash but will take the city's incentives to locate the workers here. The city will sell this project better than it actually is by pointing to key phrases in the PR campaign. It's not bad news it's just not the sexy walkable centerpiece project some will have wanted here. Wells Fargo probably would have been happy with some tilt wall buildings in Forney near an Amazon warehouse center. Still, any city in North Texas would have been willing to throw money at Wells Fargo to be seen as the next Frisco/Plano Legacy West by claiming they got a big fish.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Jul 2022 16:39

Las Colinas’ Urban Center was planned to rival downtown Dallas in the 1970s
Almost five decades after its start, the Irving business district is close to completion.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... wn-dallas/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 Jul 2022 17:56

That's a pretty cool image, but I actually don't mind how it has turned out.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 26 Jul 2022 21:00

It would have been cool if all the companies in Plano/Frisco/etc ended up here instead.

That’s been this areas real competition.

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 26 Jul 2022 23:00

Looks like below is the known status of the remaining 13 lots in the Urban Center-

Under construction:
1. InTown townhomes
2. Indigo Hotel
3. CHRISTUS HQ/Garage/State Bank of Texas HQ complex

Approved/Pending groundbreaking:
4. Northshore Shared Garage
5. Northshore WF Office Towers/Apartments/Ground Retail
6. Hilton Tempo Hotel
7. Mustang Luxury Apartments

Remaining:
8. Northshore 2nd island (likely 800 sf office complex)
9. Water Street corner (likely office tower)
10. Lot next to Hilton Home Suites ;likely office tower)
11. Mandalas Falls (likely a future mixed use project)
12. Lot next to 600 Las Colinas tower (ideal spot for a high rise condo tower for 55+ active adults; proximity to future DART station and existing APT station; plus this is absent feature in Urban Center)
13. Small lot behind post office (I’ve seen an online proposal for a 4 story tower with underneath garage)

Hope to see these last 6 project announcements come through soon before the approaching 50th anniversary of Urban Center…wishful thinking anyway! So did I miss any?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Jul 2022 10:21

The Irving City Council has called a Special Executive Session Meeting today to discuss Economic Negotiations for a project going by the codename 21L33T. They have been discussing the project for about a year now, and very rare to call a non-scheduled meeting to discuss a single project. I've been trying to figure out what the codename might be or whom it might be tied to, but keep an eye out for some possible news in the next few weeks. The meeting today could be to finalize some details of a project or corporate relocation, or it could all be tied to Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo was originally called Project Falcon, but they could have changed the name once the media figured out what Project Falcon was all about. I don't think the City was very pleased once those details got out!

vman

Postby vman » 01 Aug 2022 08:11

What is going on with ShakeShack? It's closed and fenced off.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 01 Aug 2022 09:14

vman wrote:What is going on with ShakeShack? It's closed and fenced off.

It's my understanding and from what I've read in P&Z notes, they are putting in a drive-thru. Shake Shack started adding the drive-thru component to some stores towards the end of last year.

Also, it has been confirmed that Project 21L33T was indeed Wells Fargo. Incentives worth $30 million are coming before council this Thursday, and Wells Fargo is specifically mentioned. It's only a Regional Hub and not yet a relocation as some had maybe hoped. But 800K sf of new office with the option to build an additional 800K sf. Must occupy the site before end the of 2026.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Aug 2022 09:56

The new Monaco restaurant at Water Street has opened. Not too much on the menu that appeals to me, but the restaurant looks nice! It's definitely on the higher-end and early reviews are very positive.

Also was running by last night and Pacific Table was absolutely packed! The entire patio was full and most of the inside. Same for Cork & Pig. Good vibes!

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 27 Aug 2022 09:12

Do we know which restaurant/bar may be coming next to the kissing bridge, overlooking the lake? It looked hip from the outside…I always think that the retail strip on Las Colinas Blvd near Alesio is so under-utilized, but has so much potential. Why can’t they quickly fill it with a donut shops, gelato shop, flower shop, coffee shop, bakery, breakfast place, subway, etc? Not all want to go for fancy dining everyday in urban center…there should be simple dining options available.

Also, any news on which type of mixed use development will be replacing the old torn down Allstate building on 114 across TMF?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Sep 2022 11:15

^^ Yes, it's a jazz place called Visions Eatery. They haven't actually applied for alcohol license yet though, so sort of weird. As for the old Allstate site, it's going to be mixed-use with an apartment complex, 4 story office building and townhomes for purchase.

Also, Outback Steakhouse, 7-11 and Frost Bank have all signed onto the Terraces development next to Lifetime Fitness.

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 02 Sep 2022 13:02

https://themustang.com/

The renderings are out for the newest luxury apartments in Urban Center…and they look quite ritzy and resort-like!

txjdirv

Postby txjdirv » 02 Sep 2022 15:56

It looks like work is starting on a new restaurant at Star Park.

On the developer's site, you can barely make out Firebirds but not sure if that will be the actual location.

https://www.lpcretail.com/properties/las-colinas

https://firebirdsinternational.com

As for the Lifetime development, I'm holding out hope for Chuy's which was on the original plan when Market Street was planned.

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 02 Sep 2022 17:47

The Star Park site may ne getting ready for a Southern Soulfood joint named Tupelo Honey! Not sure if Freebirds is still on roster.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Sep 2022 19:16

How many people live downtown Las Colinas now?

Pukar2000

Postby Pukar2000 » 02 Sep 2022 19:23

Urban Center has >9000 apartments and townhomes with an ultimate goal of 10,000. The population would likely be 15-20K and growing…

vman

Postby vman » 06 Sep 2022 09:02

Kelley USA wrote:
Also, Outback Steakhouse, 7-11 and Frost Bank have all signed onto the Terraces development next to Lifetime Fitness.

Outback Steakhouse? I wonder if the 183 location will close. I go to that one on occasion and it seems to do a really good business.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 15 Sep 2022 09:26

Urban Center has >9000 apartments and townhomes with an ultimate goal of 10,000. The population would likely be 15-20K and growing…

No way the urban center has that many apartments or people without seriously stretching the boundaries. I'd guess more like 5,000 in population in the urban center, ie: between 114 and around Lake Carolyn Drive. The circle population mapper only puts 22k in a 3km circle around Las Colinas in 2015. It may be higher now, but no way the urban center alone has that many people. https://www.tomforth.co.uk/circlepopulations/ population mapper.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 15 Sep 2022 10:53

I can speak a little to this. The current population within the Urban Center is approximately 9K (maybe a bit more). There are 22 apartment complexes and 2 townhome developments. I did include the 3 apartment complexes just on the other side of NW HWY, since they're like a 5 minute walk under the bridge to the Music Factory. The population within 1 mile of the Urban Center is currently 14K from the last report I saw.

The Mustang apartment complex just broke ground and there is 1 pending apartment complex that has been approved for the Wells Fargo development. That will add approximately 1K new residents.