Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Kelley USA

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Mar 2017 11:42

I attended the City of Irving Appreciation Dinner last night for boards and commissions (yes, yours truly is still on the Building & Standards Commission). It was being talked about that Oliver McMillan had pulled out of the Texas Stadium redevelopment plan. I hadn't heard anything about this, but appears to be true...

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Latest ... 33063.html

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Mar 2017 12:19

The Commish

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 09 Mar 2017 04:58

Thanks for the scoop, strange that this is still on their website.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Mar 2017 08:13

Well, last we heard they were trying to court AA to move to their project but we already heard late last year that was a no go so assume they don't seem the same potential with another tenant. I haven't necessarily heard rumors of any more big tenants like AA shopping. Maybe smaller but banks don't like to sign loan papers unless you have a marquee name on your office lease plan.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Mar 2017 08:34

Big name corporate tenants are great and all, but I can't help but think they come with a big 'campus like' configuration. That's the last think Irving needs. The plans showing a more mixed-use configuration is much more appropriate and should be the focus. But, that will likely cost you any 'big fish' tenants.

This is one that Irving should take it's time with and get it right. The Urban Center has plenty of room for build out, and we don't need two half built master planned developments.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Mar 2017 08:55

I still like this real estate put in hibernation for a while... Las Colinas has a long way to go and absolutely should not be dinged by friendly fire.

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Mar 2017 09:07

I could see the lots North of 114 straddling each side of Loop 12 moving forward in the near future. They're currently zoned for Low rise multi-family and townhome development. Those are things that the Urban Center is not allowing anymore (for the most part), and should be able to establish a critical mass without negatively impacting the rest of Las Colinas.
The key is, the city needs to stick to it's zoning plans and NOT allow single-family development here. There is high demand for SF homes in Irving now and developers come with rezoning proposals nearly every meeting. There is a plot just south of University of Dallas which I believe is getting approval this week for single family homes. Adjacent properties could fall like dominos if the city doesn't make it clear early on that it won't be allowed in the greater stadium site development.
Once the low rise MF fills in, there'll likely be more interest in mid rise mixed use on the stadium site proper.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Mar 2017 09:23

^a huge residential population and the symbiotic retail, commercial, entertainment space should be the mandate for the Texas Stadium site, only supplemented with office space. The distance these residents travel to Las Colinas and/or Downtown Dallas is ideal for light rail.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Mar 2017 14:40

Construction to begin on Irving's new convention center hotel

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... ntion.html

Construction is slated to begin on the Westin Irving Convention Center hotel this month, which will be the first step in bringing this long-awaited project to fruition.

The 12-story, 350-room hotel is slated to get underway on March 22 with an official groundbreaking ceremony.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Mar 2017 09:50

The design for the Westin turned out much better than I had hoped. It'll be a great addition to the area!

Also, got some info on the former Terraces of Las Colinas development and the currently named Shops of LAs Colinas project at 161 and Las Colinas Blvd. It's coming before council P&Z on April 3rd.

The new plan for the Terraces site is for a mixed use development with about 18 acres of single family, 7 acres of townhomes, 10 acres of open space and 30 acres of retail including a large grocery store and 5-10 restaurant/retail pads fronting onto 161

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Mar 2017 10:10

Kelley USA wrote:The design for the Westin turned out much better than I had hoped. It'll be a great addition to the area!

Also, got some info on the former Terraces of Las Colinas development and the currently named Shops of LAs Colinas project at 161 and Las Colinas Blvd. It's coming before council P&Z on April 3rd.

The new plan for the Terraces site is for a mixed use development with about 18 acres of single family, 7 acres of townhomes, 10 acres of open space and 30 acres of retail including a large grocery store and 5-10 restaurant/retail pads fronting onto 161

Thanks for the dirt on the Terraces. I had seen signs go up behind Medical City Las Colinas (formerly Las Colinas Medical Center) and was wondering what was going on. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything.
I'm a little disappointed that there is so much single-family proposed for that site. I don't think there should be any on the west side of Las Colinas. With the solid performance of the Ashton Woods townhomes down the street, I would prefer all residential to follow those lines, or maybe some mixed use along 161 proper (but, I know folks lost their mind about previous multi-family proposal).
It's also interesting that there is another grocer coming online here, but with all those new homes in the area, that makes sense. Curious who it will be...

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Mar 2017 11:10

I also noticed a retail flyer on the CBRE site that illustrates a portion of the Verizon/Pioneer master plan. It only touches on a remote corner of the development along Macarthur, but it looks like they intend to include a Starbucks, Pot Belly, and a Whataburger.
http://ucr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/SEQ-MacArthur-at-Hidden-Ridge-property-flyer-030617.pdf
I really didn't expect them to move that quickly on that portion of the property, but with it's fairly low profile compared to the rest of the development, I suppose it's a safe bet.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Mar 2017 13:17

The rumor has been that Market Street is the unnamed grocer. They've been looking at the site for quite some time.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Mar 2017 14:45

Happened to drive by upcoming Whole Foods location in LC and noticed the sign is up.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 21 Mar 2017 08:29

Tnexster wrote:Happened to drive by upcoming Whole Foods location in LC and noticed the sign is up.

That only took 12 months?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Mar 2017 13:56

ContriveDallasite wrote:
Tnexster wrote:Happened to drive by upcoming Whole Foods location in LC and noticed the sign is up.

That only took 12 months?

Well, to be fair I said the sign was up, not that the store was open. I could not tell how far along there were on the inside.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Mar 2017 22:10

I can tell you that the inside is basically complete. All the shelving, coolers, freezers, appliances etc... are in place. The finish-out is about 95% complete if I had to guess. I honestly would expect them to start hiring pronto, unless they're just going to sit on it for a few months before hiring.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 27 Mar 2017 12:46

A few notables today...

1. Groundbreaking was held for the long awaited Convention Center Hotel today... Should take about 18 months to complete. It'll be nice to see this one go up!

2. Also, the first set of concerts were announced for the Irving Music Factory. It opens Labor Day Weekend. The first ever show on Sept 1 is Dave Chappelle / Sept 2nd Brad Paisley / Sept 3rd Jeff Foxworthy & Larry The Cable Guy / Sept 6th Goo Goo Dolls / Sept 29th Young The Giant / Oct 1st Matchbox 20 & Counting Crows / Oct 12th Scorpions & Megadeth . All tickets go on sale this Friday. Pretty good stuff!

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 27 Mar 2017 13:02

I'd go to all those shows. Except brad paisley and fucking Jeff foxworthy/Larry the cable guy. If I want to hear their albums, I'll go to the music section at Sears. That said, I do know people that would love to go to that.

muncien

Postby muncien » 27 Mar 2017 14:00

I also saw that groundbreaking for Water Walk hotel/corp housing is taking place. That's over by the new proton therapy center on Royal/161.

There's an article in DMN about Urban Center land selling for multi-family development. But, it's behind the wall and I can't read it. Anybody see what that's about? I think it was published on the 24th.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 27 Mar 2017 14:07

Right click on the article and open incognito and it wont be blocked.

muncien

Postby muncien » 27 Mar 2017 14:32

TXGunLover wrote:Right click on the article and open incognito and it wont be blocked.

Thx!

Looks like these are the lots adjacent to the Convention Center Station on the east side. I recall there was a proposal for these about six months (or so) ago that wasn't well received by the city. According to this article, the number of units (387 & 375) for each lot have already been defined. I'm curious if those numbers are related to the previous plan, or something new. There are no renderings, but JPI has been moving fairly quickly lately, on their other properties. It'll be nice to finally have something adjacent to that station. Hopefully better than the last offering...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 31 Mar 2017 17:44

The site plan for the Shops of Las Colinas was updated today... It does tend to confirm that Market Street is going to anchor the project. Also a number of notable restaurants appear on the site plan- Hopdoddy, Chuy's, Luna Grill, Lazy Dog, Torchy's Taco, Super Chix... Updated plan also shows a hotel, townhouse, and single family. The plan actually goes before P&Z on Monday.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 31 Mar 2017 19:12

Who's going to take over as Irving's mayor?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 01 Apr 2017 09:57

Good question! I have no idea. Just now starting to see election signs popping up around town.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Apr 2017 11:28

All things considered, I think Beth Van Duyne has been very good job supporting Las Colinas, but I have no POV regarding the rest of Irving. Olde Downtown Irving comes with the same excitement, potential, dense urban population desire-expectations similar to what I had for Uptown during the formative years just after the turn of the century, but Olde Downtown Irving (like the former Texas Stadium site) may not be ready.

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Apr 2017 10:24

Kelley USA wrote:The site plan for the Shops of Las Colinas was updated today... It does tend to confirm that Market Street is going to anchor the project. Also a number of notable restaurants appear on the site plan- Hopdoddy, Chuy's, Luna Grill, Lazy Dog, Torchy's Taco, Super Chix... Updated plan also shows a hotel, townhouse, and single family. The plan actually goes before P&Z on Monday.

Great additions to the area, but that SFR still seems grossly out of place. When done, it'll be surrounded on all four sides by non-SFR (Hospital to the west, Luxury Townhomes to the South, Flour Corp Campus to the East, and their own retail/townhomes to the North. Very strange...
I understand the are didn't want multi-family as part of this development, but surely high-end townhomes would be a more viable option than SFR.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Apr 2017 14:47

More shows announced for the Irving Music Factory... Here comes KISS!!

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/enter ... lifehouse/

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 04 Apr 2017 12:09

A couple of notes from P&Z last night... The development at 161 & Las Colinas Blvd was approved. The housing developers will be Darling and David Weekly. It was also confirmed that Market Street is the lead tenant for the retail portion. Market Street will be building an upgraded store unlike any of their other stores here in DFW. Somewhat of a new prototype.

Also, it looks like the old Tenaya, Republic, Sfuzzi, Las Colinas Prime, Table & Tavern building on 114 will be coming down. A new 6 story Element Hotel will be taking its place. Good to see!

muncien

Postby muncien » 04 Apr 2017 12:15

^^^
OMG... Another hotel, huh? That has to be the largest gathering of 'small' hotels in the city. I think the Element will make it a dozen... all in very close proximity.

And there's nothing wrong with that at all... :)
Helps us pay our bills!

I think the Hyatt House is also six stories... Other than that, they're almost all between 2-4 stories. So, a little more density is welcome.

vman

Postby vman » 04 Apr 2017 12:48

Kelley USA wrote:A couple of notes from P&Z last night... The development at 161 & Las Colinas Blvd was approved. The housing developers will be Darling and David Weekly. It was also confirmed that Market Street is the lead tenant for the retail portion. Market Street will be building an upgraded store unlike any of their other stores here in DFW. Somewhat of a new prototype.

Also, it looks like the old Tenaya, Republic, Sfuzzi, Las Colinas Prime, Table & Tavern building on 114 will be coming down. A new 6 story Element Hotel will be taking its place. Good to see!

So are those restaurants listed earlier confirmed?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 04 Apr 2017 14:22

I think these site plans are always a little fluid. Most if not all of them have probably signed a letter of intent, but that's far from a lease. So they probably do have an interest in the property and just waiting to see how things shake out!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Apr 2017 15:25

JLL: Big office tenants see opportunity in DFW's Las Colinas market

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... s-las.html

With a few big office tenants circling Dallas-Fort Worth looking for a place to land, JLL Managing Director Steve Thelen said Irving's Las Colinas market is one North Texas submarket that could win a lot of business this year.

Not only is it because Irving has some big blocks of office space for a big tenant, but this part of the region also has the highest concentration of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) workers.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 20 Apr 2017 15:45

The Westin CC Hotel is underway! Heavy machinery was moved on-site Monday and a fence was put up around the perimeter. Earth is being moved as we speak!

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 25 Apr 2017 07:32

The Pollo Tropical in the not quite yet Whole Foods parking lot has gone out of business (along with the rest of the Pollo Tropicals in North Texas).

muncien

Postby muncien » 25 Apr 2017 09:44

TXGunLover wrote:The Pollo Tropical in the not quite yet Whole Foods parking lot has gone out of business (along with the rest of the Pollo Tropicals in North Texas).

No kidding... I wish I could say that I didn't see that coming. Hopefully something decent fills that spot.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Apr 2017 11:44

The thing that really bugs me the most is that Pollo Tropical should never have been in this development. It should have been reserved for additional frontage retail and or a sit down restaurant. The leasing agents were all about collecting commissions on this one! I'm curious what might become of it, but my feeling is that it sits vacant for quite some time. I have heard that the still undeveloped lot next to Pollo Tropical is slated for one of those ER centers. I went to Pollo twice and left wondering how this even became a viable fast food chain??

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 25 Apr 2017 11:47

They were definitely not a good restaurant, but you also don't have a lot of others jumping on the chance at the market either in that general area.

muncien

Postby muncien » 25 Apr 2017 12:32

Kelley USA wrote:The thing that really bugs me the most is that Pollo Tropical should never have been in this development. It should have been reserved for additional frontage retail and or a sit down restaurant. The leasing agents were all about collecting commissions on this one! I'm curious what might become of it, but my feeling is that it sits vacant for quite some time. I have heard that the still undeveloped lot next to Pollo Tropical is slated for one of those ER centers. I went to Pollo twice and left wondering how this even became a viable fast food chain??

The article I read said some of the Pollo Tropicals will become Taco Cabanas. I realize there is one just two or three miles away at Beltline and 635, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this one convert over as well. Seems like a decent fit, and they would easily serve different population centers.

As for the ER centers... seriously? We have like a dozen of them along a three mile stretch. smh

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 May 2017 14:10

Looks like State Fare Kitchen & Bar has signed a lease for about 7000 sq ft at Water Street. This is exactly the kind of restaurants I was hoping we'd see come to the area. They only have 1 other location in Houston, but the company owns a number of other small restaurants... Looks like a nice place!

http://www.statefaretx.com

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 09 May 2017 12:52

I've seen a number of trucks and a few engineering companies on-site at The Shops of Las Colinas. My assumption is that the residential will start rather soon and the retail would still be a year or 2+ away. I could be wrong, but I don't see the retail portion starting anytime soon...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 May 2017 10:52

The last tower crane at the IMF came down over the weekend... A few of the windows have already gone up on parking garage / office building, but it's tough to see. I know there's a huge push to make sure the Pavillion is open before Labor Day weekend, but I haven't really seen much in terms of getting the restaurants open. I think we'll see maybe 2 or 3 open with the rest sort of opening throughout the Fall.

Also, the Westin Hotel is buzzing. Construction trailers are now on site and they're already putting piers in the ground. The seem to be moving pretty quick!

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 May 2017 11:22

Kelley USA wrote:The last tower crane at the IMF came down over the weekend... A few of the windows have already gone up on parking garage / office building, but it's tough to see. I know there's a huge push to make sure the Pavillion is open before Labor Day weekend, but I haven't really seen much in terms of getting the restaurants open. I think we'll see maybe 2 or 3 open with the rest sort of opening throughout the Fall.

Also, the Westin Hotel is buzzing. Construction trailers are now on site and they're already putting piers in the ground. The seem to be moving pretty quick!

I noticed that they had just finished off the roof of the pavilion over the last few days. Exciting times! This is one of those things that just seemed like it would never actually come to fruition, yet here we are...

Side Note: I look out the window every day for a construction trailer to setup on the Verizon properties... Nothing yet. But if/when that gets going... it'll be a BIG DEAL.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 May 2017 12:23

^
^^
Totally!

This deal felt like it to took longer than the Stone Hedge deal in the Arts District to happen... and now the cranes are already coming down. The more 'things' there are to form connection and create trips within/between Las Colinas, UTSW/Parkland Medical and Downtown Dallas the more the area feeds itself.

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 May 2017 13:16

I was looking at the City of Irving P&Z agenda items, and there's one in particular of concern... The property at the critical corner of O'conner & Lake Carolyn pkwy in the Las Colinas Urban Center is showing a zoning change request from Mixed Use TOD to residential town-homes. Please tell me this won't move forward...
I have nothing against town-homes... in fact, I LOVE town-homes, but this property is adjacent to a DART station (ahem... 'Urban Center Station') and surrounded by far more dense development... some of which came before there ever was a DART station. There are plenty of lots suitable for town-homes, but this is NOT one of them.
:evil:
http://tx-irving.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/26243

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 May 2017 17:08

I hate to break it to you, but the townhomes probably will pass. It's the same development company that built the townhomes on the other end of Lake Carolyn Pkwy (InTown). I watched it sail pass P&Z on Monday with a 5-2 vote. If our current council is any indication of how they approve projects (mainly multi-family) in the Urban Center, this will certainly pass. They have no vision and typically cave to the whining and false facts from developers! Mayor Van Duyne was always a staunch opponent of projects like this and giving away key tracts of land for multi-family use. Without her as Mayor I'm not sure what the incoming Mayor thinks. My vision for the Urban Center has always been vastly different from that of the council and generally other people on this forum, but democracy rules! : )

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 17 May 2017 23:12

What's wrong with putting more townhomes there? There are plenty of other lots to put dense highrise condos/apartments.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 18 May 2017 04:09

Several Metrorail stations in the DC/MD/VA system are surrounded by nothing but private residential property. Sure it's three- and four-floor townhomes, and those people will find it convenient, which is better than nothing; but it amounts to substantially wasting your shot. It doesn't have a significant force multiplier effect beyond the headcount of commuters actually living there. Convivial spaces where people mix in semi-public on the daily? Those options can increase the actual value of the network to each user. Anything within five minutes walk (or in Texas' summer heat, less) and especially within eyeshot of a mass transit stop has a heightened opportunity to fulfill that role.

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 May 2017 08:54

I have nothing against town-homes... particularly In-Town. I absolutely love their product, praised their expansion to the SE corner of the Urban Center, and I think it's the best future for Irving residential expansion.
That said, this is absolutely the wrong spot for it. I was pretty pleased with the newly constructed 'Crest at Las Colinas' which is next door from this lot and adjacent to the station. It's apartments, but even at just 5 floors, they did a great job interacting with the street and giving an urban feel to the 'urban center'. These two developments together were supposed to some to some 750 or more units originally. With this new proposal, we won't even get 1/3rd of that. It's a huge let down for such a prominent property. Everything on all sides of this, including an office high-rise across the street, are taller and more dense than this proposal. And this is at a time that the Urban Center is running on all cylinders. This is a huge disappointment and step back for the are.
What this intersection really needed was an 6-8 story residential building with a neighborhood servicing store at the bottom.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 18 May 2017 11:16

With Water Street, existing commercial and retail space, and Music Factory, there's no need for more commercial for the foreseeable future. There's a need for more people to live here to ensure those commercial services don't go away. If townhomes are what bring them here, great. Townhomes are, long-term, better for the area than apartments anyway.