Las Colinas/North Irving Development

muncien

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby muncien » 26 Apr 2018 15:22

Kelley USA wrote:Yes, so this is basically under the lawn of the Pavilion. It's about 10K sq ft. This is way more impressive than Big Beat if you ask me. Now let's just see if it actually gets built. Looks like a very expensive build-out!

No doubt... That is very impressive. I have also noticed that slots have been installed along all entrances to the plaza to place bollards down, and limit vehicular activity on the inside of the development. At one point last week, they even had them installed to prevent vehicles from cutting through... but you could technically still drive on both sides.

Also... I checked out the scotch bar, or 'library' room across from Martini Ranch over the weekend. That is a swanky little place, that I don't think people know about. Quite nice...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

muncien

Postby muncien » 01 May 2018 14:26

muncien wrote:My problem so far... No Happy Hour! I, personally consider a decent Happy Hour as a gateway for introducing people to a new restaurant. Their default prices are definitely steep, but a solid Happy hour offering can introduce people to a product that otherwise wouldn't give it a chance. Since the product itself (the food and entertainment) are both solid (IMO), it makes most sense to offer the bait. Yet, both venues I have been to (Route 61 and Jam house) had NO Happy Hour at that critical time, and directed me to the booths on the pavilion for specials ($5 Bud Light and Hot Dogs... no thanks).
I really do think they can get away with their default prices (due to vast corporate/expense account clientele), but not 100% of the time. They definitely need to offer a decent Happy Hour to compete. Yard House at least seems to have that part down... You can get a KILLER Nachos that feeds like four people for about $6 during HH. Why would I pay the same for just chips and salsa?

Once again... Those who know best read this forum.
Big Beat Dallas has now expanded their happy hour beyond only the little outside booths. You can now get half price on ALL drinks and SELECT appetizers EVERY
DAY from 3-7pm at Bar Manzanilla, Highway 61 South, Texas Jam House, and of course... on the Texas Lottery Plaza.

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 01 May 2018 15:13

muncien wrote:
muncien wrote:My problem so far... No Happy Hour! I, personally consider a decent Happy Hour as a gateway for introducing people to a new restaurant. Their default prices are definitely steep, but a solid Happy hour offering can introduce people to a product that otherwise wouldn't give it a chance. Since the product itself (the food and entertainment) are both solid (IMO), it makes most sense to offer the bait. Yet, both venues I have been to (Route 61 and Jam house) had NO Happy Hour at that critical time, and directed me to the booths on the pavilion for specials ($5 Bud Light and Hot Dogs... no thanks).
I really do think they can get away with their default prices (due to vast corporate/expense account clientele), but not 100% of the time. They definitely need to offer a decent Happy Hour to compete. Yard House at least seems to have that part down... You can get a KILLER Nachos that feeds like four people for about $6 during HH. Why would I pay the same for just chips and salsa?

Once again... Those who know best read this forum.
Big Beat Dallas has now expanded their happy hour beyond only the little outside booths. You can now get half price on ALL drinks and SELECT appetizers EVERY
DAY from 3-7pm at Bar Manzanilla, Highway 61 South, Texas Jam House, and of course... on the Texas Lottery Plaza.

This smells like desperation, but I'll take it. Unfortunately a job move is having us relocate away from Las Colinas, but I hope this project and the surrounding area becomes a success. It does seem like the area is doing better now with the opening of Alamo and a lot of the construction finishing up. Now hopefully Water Street hurries up, it seems to have been stagnant on the construction front for at least a few weeks now.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 04 May 2018 14:56

Pretty cool little article on the Texican Court Hotel...

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/retro-inspir ... i-westerns

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 04 May 2018 23:18

Kelley USA wrote:Pretty cool little article on the Texican Court Hotel...

....except, not once is the name of the hotel mentioned. Strange.

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 06 May 2018 07:39

The three courtyards, named Il Buono, Il Brutto, and Il Cattivo (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

They’ve also got the translation wrong. “Cattivo” means “bad” in Italian, e.g, “I’m not such a bad comedian” = “non son cattivo comico.” “Brutto” means ugly.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 06 May 2018 08:07

Had a great meal at Texas Jam House last night. Place was fairly busy for 5pm.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 May 2018 11:32

Kelley USA wrote:Pretty cool little article on the Texican Court Hotel...

I saw this when I was at the Convention Center a few weeks back and was surprised when I heard it was a hotel since it looks like an apartment complex....but, maybe it will be well received. I'd be curious to see it close up when completed.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 May 2018 09:29

I have no doubt the Texican Court will be first class... If you look at the other Valencia Hotels they're all really nice. The layout of the Texican seems very similar to their Lone Star Court Hotel in Austin. That's a really great place to stay if you're down that way!

Also, some new confirmed leases for Water Street... Mike Mousel Design (3100 sq ft), Homegrown Hounds (2000 sq ft), The Market (1800 sq ft), We Yogis Yoga Studio (2600 sq ft), The Gents Place (3400 sq ft), Shawarma Bar (1100 sq ft).

Café Herrera is no longer part of the plans. They're still trying to attract a tenant for the last location on the lake. Also, State Fare Kitchen & Bar no longer appears on the site plan even though finish-out had already started. Some restaurant named Hugo's Invitados is now listed and a few changes have already been made to the interior space from where State Fare had started. So not sure what's up with that?!

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 May 2018 11:09

Alamo Draft house is now giving 'FULL VALIDATION' instead of 2-hour validation. So now you can feel free to hang out in the area afterwards.

Is it just me, or does this particular thread predict the future? lol

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 May 2018 11:36

muncien wrote:Alamo Draft house is now giving 'FULL VALIDATION' instead of 2-hour validation. So now you can feel free to hang out in the area afterwards.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if Alamo is picking up the additional cost in some sort of way? If not, then if I'm Thirsty Lion or YardHouse or any of the other restaurants I'm going straight to the owners and demanding I be able to give full validation as well.

Oh, forgot to mention that Nosh N Bottle is open. It's very soft right now and they're still waiting for liquor license etc... But I popped in on Sunday. Super nice people and really great place!

WilCo

Postby WilCo » 07 May 2018 12:53

Kelley USA wrote:
muncien wrote:Alamo Draft house is now giving 'FULL VALIDATION' instead of 2-hour validation. So now you can feel free to hang out in the area afterwards.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if Alamo is picking up the additional cost in some sort of way? If not, then if I'm Thirsty Lion or YardHouse or any of the other restaurants I'm going straight to the owners and demanding I be able to give full validation as well.

Oh, forgot to mention that Nosh N Bottle is open. It's very soft right now and they're still waiting for liquor license etc... But I popped in on Sunday. Super nice people and really great place!

Yeah we went to Nosh as well a couple weeks ago and it was pretty nice. The people were super friendly. The sandwiches were a bit expensive but good both times I've been.

I always find it funny that these developments wait until public opinion/outrage to change things instead of using common sense from the getgo. People don't like being nickle'd and dime'd, you'd think they'd learn that by now. I'm guessing they just want to see what they can get away with at the beginning and then start to change things.

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 May 2018 13:51

WilCo wrote:
Kelley USA wrote:

Yeah we went to Nosh as well a couple weeks ago and it was pretty nice. The people were super friendly. The sandwiches were a bit expensive but good both times I've been.

I always find it funny that these developments wait until public opinion/outrage to change things instead of using common sense from the getgo. People don't like being nickle'd and dime'd, you'd think they'd learn that by now. I'm guessing they just want to see what they can get away with at the beginning and then start to change things.

No kidding... In fact, smart business approach requires the exact opposite of what they did. They should have pushed for a free parking appraoch for the first few months of operation, ran tons of happy hour specials, and not even considered a cover charge until they've sucked enough people and attention into developement. The fact that much of the supporting population (hotels, northshore apartements, on-site office space) won't exist for the first six months to a year is all the more reason to have give aways at the open.
Instead, the people who were excited about this most, the early adopters who are supposed to be your ambassadors, go out and complain about being nickle and dimed. Not a good way to kick things off. But, I still have confidence that this will be a hit as more supporting developement gets going. There really isn't just anything else to do around here for miles... so it kinda has no choice. lol

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 08 May 2018 00:44

It also appears they've backed off on the Uber/Lyft-can-only-do-pickups-on-the-service-road-ramp-side for everything. Now it seems to be just select nights/events/concerts. If so, that is more logical and a lot less complicated, especially for visitors.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 May 2018 10:20

A few notes today...

1) They are clearing the pad site in front of Whole Foods. Last I heard it was supposed to be one of those quick ER businesses. We already have a ton of those, and quite frankly not sure how all those places stay in business. Hopefully it'll be something else though! I know Leon Capital recently sold the center. I think if they just added another 5K sq ft of spec retail they would lease it pretty quick!

2) State Fare Kitchen & Bar is definitely out at Water Street. Pretty bummed since it looked like a cool concept. Not sure what happened but they literally started build-out and then stopped. Someone else has already taken the spot though. A place called Hugo's Invitados is now doing the build-out. Great location within Water Street and a pretty big restaurant at 7K sq ft.

muncien

Postby muncien » 16 May 2018 10:26

Kelley USA wrote:A few notes today...

1) They are clearing the pad site in front of Whole Foods. Last I heard it was supposed to be one of those quick ER businesses. We already have a ton of those, and quite frankly not sure how all those places stay in business. Hopefully it'll be something else though! I know Leon Capital recently sold the center. I think if they just added another 5K sq ft of spec retail they would lease it pretty quick!

2) State Fare Kitchen & Bar is definitely out at Water Street. Pretty bummed since it looked like a cool concept. Not sure what happened but they literally started build-out and then stopped. Someone else has already taken the spot though. A place called Hugo's Invitados is now doing the build-out. Great location within Water Street and a pretty big restaurant at 7K sq ft.

I am truly baffled by the multitude of stand along 'ERs' being built. Is there some unknown plague about to ravage the area that the government is keeping secret, or what?

Anyway... Do we have any projected opening dates for Water Street stuffs? I've been anxiously waiting for something else to try out...

Oh, also... I saw a zoning sign go up on the lot behind Champps. It think it was previously proposed as ANOTHER HOTEL. I guess the dozen hotels across the street aren't enough to handle the presumed crowds awaiting ER availability.

vman

Postby vman » 16 May 2018 10:52

I can't believe how uninspired the retail is at a shopping center that has such a sought after anchor like Whole Foods.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 16 May 2018 11:51

vman wrote:

I can't believe how uninspired the retail is at a shopping center that has such a sought after anchor like Whole Foods.

Don't get me started on this rant... I think the City, the Las Colinas Association and Leon Capital were all so excited to get Whole Foods that literally everything else was overlooked. This development could have been SOOOOOO much more. Instead we got some bland project, with poor landscaping and entryways and a tenant mix that's average at best. I knew we were in trouble when Leon sold a pad site to Pollo Tropical. They didn't care about the overall tenant mix. It's pretty clear they just wanted the commission!

As for the lot behind Champps, it's been slated for an Embassy Suites. Not sure if that's changed, but here was past rendering: https://www.facebook.com/Embassy-Suites ... 320208193/

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 16 May 2018 11:54

They were lucky to get Whole Foods... WF almost completely backed out. WF has been concerned with the ability to make the store profitable, but their influx from the Amazon purchase allowed them to proceed.

muncien

Postby muncien » 16 May 2018 12:48

Kelley USA wrote:
vman wrote:

As for the lot behind Champps, it's been slated for an Embassy Suites. Not sure if that's changed, but here was past rendering: https://www.facebook.com/Embassy-Suites ... 320208193/

Thanks! That rendering is two years old. It's also odd that it has an even number address (800 W John Carpenter Fwy), when even numbers are on the south side and odd numbers are on the north. But... whatever.
I'm curious if anything has changed with these plans. I can't seem to find anything on the meeting agenda's. The city website seems to have undergone a revision and I am not seeing nearly as much content as I used to. Or, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.
I did see something called "Project Stellar" on the agenda for the Executive Session today... Curious what that is.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 17 May 2018 09:20

^^ It'll probably be on the next P&Z meeting agenda. Look for that info to come out tomorrow (assuming P&Z is meeting next Monday).

Also at the Music Factory, they've started to tear down the plywood and put windows into the remaining vacant spots. Looks better for sure! I am surprised that there is still quite a bit of retail left to lease and there doesn't seem to be ANY movement on leasing.

cojoey

Postby cojoey » 17 May 2018 14:25

Does anyone have any news on the pipeline project taking place around NW Hwy and Las Colinas?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 May 2018 13:48

From the P&Z Agenda... It looks like the lot behind Champps is going to be office... Another interesting note from the Agenda, but looks like Centurion American is looking to purchase and develop the old Dallas Cowboys Headquarters. They're proposing 37 acres of single family and townhome uses.

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 May 2018 14:21

Kelley USA wrote:From the P&Z Agenda... It looks like the lot behind Champps is going to be office... Another interesting note from the Agenda, but looks like Centurion American is looking to purchase and develop the old Dallas Cowboys Headquarters. They're proposing 37 acres of single family and townhome uses.

Thanks for the update!
The SF/Townhomes don't surprise me at all. I certainly hoped for more, but didn't expect it.
Interesting about the office being proposed. I did not expect that. I really wish there were some effort/plan to activate all these waterways throughout Las Colinas area. Having them all connected with pedestrian paths to these various neighborhoods would be quite cool. But instead, everything kinda turns it's back on them.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 22 May 2018 10:10

I think the homes and townhomes probably makes the most sense for the land... I mean there's really no other use for it unless another corporate client wanted to purchase it. If I'm being honest, Valley Ranch is not nearly as an attractive place to be as it once was. In fact, I've had a number of friends move out of the area and sell homes in the past 2 years. These homes and townhomes will sell pretty quick! The growing Indian population is snapping up homes as quick as they can get built in both Valley Ranch and Las Colinas. It was noted that the developer is going to preserve all the stone from the current building and use it to build the entryways. Also, all the streets will be named after famous Dallas Cowboys (nice little touch).

muncien

Postby muncien » 22 May 2018 10:32

Kelley USA wrote:I think the homes and townhomes probably makes the most sense for the land... I mean there's really no other use for it unless another corporate client wanted to purchase it. If I'm being honest, Valley Ranch is not nearly as an attractive place to be as it once was. In fact, I've had a number of friends move out of the area and sell homes in the past 2 years. These homes and townhomes will sell pretty quick! The growing Indian population is snapping up homes as quick as they can get built in both Valley Ranch and Las Colinas. It was noted that the developer is going to preserve all the stone from the current building and use it to build the entryways. Also, all the streets will be named after famous Dallas Cowboys (nice little touch).

Ever since it was mentioned that the Cowboys were leaving several years ago, I always thought the old facility would make a great college... Either Private, or expansion of Northlake College.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 22 May 2018 16:32

The new Signature Bridge on 114 near the old Texas Stadium site quietly started construction about a week ago. It'll look a little silly and a little lonely for awhile, but I guess it will provide a nice visual as you enter and leave Las Colinas.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 May 2018 21:30

^I assume they need that visual in place to effectively market it to prospective clients. Build it and they will come....and actually it could be a great addition to LC if done well.

muncien

Postby muncien » 23 May 2018 08:12

View of Pioneer site this morning. I never really appreciated how BIG this campus was going to be. I envisioned a typical sprawling suburban campus, but this thing is taller than I expected. For perspective... This is nearly 30% LARGER than Williams Square based on square footage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 23 May 2018 08:54

I was not expecting tall(ish) either. This certainly won't help with the misconception that outsiders have who first fly into DFW and marvel at our skyline...not realizing its Las Colinas. I don't know if that happens a lot, but my brother still gets confused when he comes to visit! To his credit, he lives on the plains in a town who's only skyscraper is an 8 story hotel built in the 1910's.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 23 May 2018 13:45

Forgot to mention, but last week I saw them taking soil samples on the Urban Center Gateway parcel at 114, O'Connor, Las Colinas Blvd. If you remember from my previous posting, this is a proposed Sarofim Realty development. Maybe we're seeing something start to move forward.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 May 2018 21:15

LongonBigD wrote:I was not expecting tall(ish) either. This certainly won't help with the misconception that outsiders have who first fly into DFW and marvel at our skyline...not realizing its Las Colinas. I don't know if that happens a lot, but my brother still gets confused when he comes to visit! To his credit, he lives on the plains in a town who's only skyscraper is an 8 story hotel built in the 1910's.

How do people miss the even larger skyline behind it?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 23 May 2018 21:33

Tnexster wrote:
LongonBigD wrote:I was not expecting tall(ish) either. This certainly won't help with the misconception that outsiders have who first fly into DFW and marvel at our skyline...not realizing its Las Colinas. I don't know if that happens a lot, but my brother still gets confused when he comes to visit! To his credit, he lives on the plains in a town who's only skyscraper is an 8 story hotel built in the 1910's.

How do people miss the even larger skyline behind it?

You’d have to meet my brother!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 May 2018 21:37

I do like the way they sunk the garage behind the towers, that's better than a giant garage sitting out in the open.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 May 2018 21:43

Global Firm to Relocate, Expand its North Texas Headquarters

http://product.costar.com/home/news/shared/191363

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 24 May 2018 03:44

muncien wrote:View of Pioneer site this morning. I never really appreciated how BIG this campus was going to be. I envisioned a typical sprawling suburban campus, but this thing is taller than I expected. For perspective... This is nearly 30% LARGER than Williams Square based on square footage.

Great shot! Can I ask which vantage point this was taken from? Really great to see the impact The Music Factory has made on the open end of the Urban Center. Once the Two Hotels are filled in I am excited to see what developers have in store for the undeveloped block right next door.

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 May 2018 08:58

ContriveDallasite wrote:
muncien wrote:View of Pioneer site this morning. I never really appreciated how BIG this campus was going to be. I envisioned a typical sprawling suburban campus, but this thing is taller than I expected. For perspective... This is nearly 30% LARGER than Williams Square based on square footage.

Great shot! Can I ask which vantage point this was taken from? Really great to see the impact The Music Factory has made on the open end of the Urban Center. Once the Two Hotels are filled in I am excited to see what developers have in store for the undeveloped block right next door.

9th floor of 750 W John Carpenter Fwy. I've got quite the view of all the action... for three days of the week, anyway. :)

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 May 2018 09:21

This is your Water Street Minute by Kelley USA...

If you haven't been by Water Street in awhile you should really get by... I'm very impressed with the way this one is turning out. I think it really shines at night! You have the beautiful green space in the middle, the fountains, the overall landscaping. I love how the interior is sort of framed by the Omni Hotel across Lake Carolyn and Williams Square on the other. Such a contrast from the Music Factory. It just feels peaceful and relaxing! There is quite a bit of build-out going on too. Olivella's Pizza, Hugo's Invitados Restaurant, Cork & Pig, We Yogi's, The Gents Place, The Market and Go Fish Poke are all doing build-out. In fact, there were workers in both Hugo's and Cork & Pig still working at 9:30 last night. Both of those places look like they'll be pretty cool with nice bar space. Stopped into the new Creamistry too. Cool little place and the ice cream was really good (although a bit pricey). But nice to get some ice cream and stroll along the lake or sit in the park. Also noticed that they now offer FREE Yoga in the park every Sunday morning at 10am. I like that! These are the types of little events we need more of in the Urban Center. Once Main Street Bakery opens I can see people coming over to do some yoga and then grabbing breakfast on the patio.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 May 2018 11:21

the commish

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 24 May 2018 11:41

Kelley USA wrote:Also noticed that they now offer FREE Yoga in the park every Sunday morning at 10am. I like that! These are the types of little events we need more of in the Urban Center. Once Main Street Bakery opens I can see people coming over to do some yoga and then grabbing breakfast on the patio.

I think I might do exactly that once the place opens up. Does anyone know if there is a website or facebook page which has more information about this yoga class? I searched around a bit, but, surprisingly, didn't have much luck.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 May 2018 12:40

^^ Here you go... Found a little info of their website:

http://weyogis.com/pages/we-yogis-las-colinas

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 24 May 2018 12:52

Excellent, thank you so much!

So they state that they are opening in June 2018, and the free yoga runs until June 24th. Perhaps this is only free until the actually open and it's more of a promotional thing?
Begin May 13-June 24

Still cool regardless, but that means anyone who wants to get in on this would have to do it in the next couple of months.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 29 May 2018 12:51

*** BREAKING MUSIC FACTORY / BIG BEAT NEWS ***

All Big Beat Employees:

We have been advised by our attorneys that we should discontinue our business operations as a result of the inability to operate with any efficiency due to the lack of parking efficiencies, the inability to operate the plaza as a result of landlord interference, and other material factors affecting our business.

Operations will cease, effective as of 12 AM this evening, 5/29/18. You will receive instructions from Mark Kim and Greg Crouse with regard regards to pay, benefits, etc.

I regret that this has become necessary and hope to once again renew operations in a more business conducive environment sometime in the very near future. I want to thank all of you for your efforts and want you to know that I personally appreciate all that you have done. I wish you all the best and regret any hardship this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Billy Bob Barnett

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 29 May 2018 13:30

They yanked the post off facebook, but it's not a total surprise... Billy Bob's hasn't been too successful anywhere other than their original location in FW, and the parking and low demand of the music factory area just can't support a place like that. Sad, but inevitable, Texas Jam House, Bar Manzanilla, Highway 61, Martini Ranch, and Texas C Bar are closed.

muncien

Postby muncien » 29 May 2018 13:49

TXGunLover wrote:They yanked the post off facebook, but it's not a total surprise... Billy Bob's hasn't been too successful anywhere other than their original location in FW, and the parking and low demand of the music factory area just can't support a place like that. Sad, but inevitable, Texas Jam House, Bar Manzanilla, Highway 61, Martini Ranch, and Texas C Bar are closed.

:x
Well, that is pretty terrible. They restaurants (other than Texas C bar) were absolutely packed the last few times I had been there. The plaza has always been quite empty, but it has picked up a bit each time I went.
It's also interesting that they continued to poor money into it right up until this.

I never had an issue with parking until last Friday when I had to park over at the Urban Towers. It was slow going for sure, but the businesses were busting at the seems and the staff was having trouble keeping up. It's hard to blame 'parking' when that is your busiest day.

Really curious where we go from here. I'd love to see Highway 61 go independent and stay where they are. IMO, they were the best of the entire development, hands down.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 29 May 2018 14:20

Demographics, demographics, demographics.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 29 May 2018 15:17

If in fact Big Beat is closed for good, I will be very curious to see what type of concepts if any will take these spaces. There is still a significant amount of space available for lease including some key spots. The only thing that would make it attractive is that build-out is already complete. Apart from that, I think the parking issues (true or not) are going to turn some good restaurant operators away (and probably already have).

On top of all this, there are still negotiations and executive sessions going on pertaining to legal issues between the City & ARK Group.

muncien

Postby muncien » 29 May 2018 16:07

Kelley USA wrote:If in fact Big Beat is closed for good, I will be very curious to see what type of concepts if any will take these spaces. There is still a significant amount of space available for lease including some key spots. The only thing that would make it attractive is that build-out is already complete. Apart from that, I think the parking issues (true or not) are going to turn some good restaurant operators away (and probably already have).

On top of all this, there are still negotiations and executive sessions going on pertaining to legal issues between the City & ARK Group.

The Martini Lounge and Texas C Bar places should probably remain closed indefinitely; at least until both hotels are online and probably even North Shore. Perhaps they could be used for special events or something like that, but not as full time restaurants. But the other spaces are well positioned, and the finishes are quite nice. I wouldn't be surprised to see them fill in rather quickly, as soon as any legal wrangling is done.
As for the plaza/stage area. It's really just too big to fill. They should remove the mini stage, and lease out some small 10x10 plots for vendors to set up shop a few days at a time.

On another subject... I tried out that 'creamistry' place on Water Street on Saturday, and was totally underwhelmed. I really don't get it... I paid $13 for the most bland mint & chip ice cream I have ever tasted. I suppose they're just selling the gimmicky 'fog' that is involved?

Waldozer

Postby Waldozer » 29 May 2018 23:47

As long as Drafthouse and Grimaldi's stay open, I really don't care too much about any of the other businesses. The popsicle place is really good, so I'd be disappointed to see them go.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 30 May 2018 12:20

After giving this some thought, I think the Music Factory will be much better off without Big Beat. I do have to question Restaurants Unlimited for being the guarantor on these leases. How dumb are they! It's almost as is they had virtually nothing to do with the concept. They run quality restaurants all across the country yet no mention of Big Beat has ever appeared on their website. Big Beat certainly could have used some consulting on both the food and definitely the service side of things. I know that turn-over was frequent and employees not showing up to work was an issue. For the past month or so employees for all the restaurants have been parking at the DART station and are being bused over. What a beating!

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Firebird Restaurant Group open up some of their concepts- Meso Maya, La Ventana, Snuffers, or Village Burger Bar. Or someone like CityWorks that has locations in Frisco and Fort Worth. They have a really cool 2 story location at The Star in Frisco. I could see someone like that converting Bar Manzanilla and Martini Ranch into a cool 2 story concept with that killer 2nd floor patio. What about someone like Hopdoddy or Shake Shack taking over Texas Jamhouse? I think either would be really cool in that location!

At Water Street, actually drove by on Sunday and saw about 6 or 7 people taking the Free Yoga in the park class. Also, there's a Market going in called Big Little Market. It'll face O'Connor. The people behind it also own Lakeside Market in Flower Mound which is in the new Lakeside development.