Las Colinas/North Irving Development

itsjrd1964

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Oct 2020 12:52

Kelley USA wrote:The development plan at the entrance to the Urban Center (114, O'Connor, Las Colinas Blvd) has changed. They are coming before P&Z and removing the 4 hotel concept and instead asking to build a 15 story office tower. The developers are still keeping the original office component, which is a 4 story office building on the canal closest to 114. They are also seeking to build a 10 story parking garage to accommodate workers in both office buildings. No renderings available yet, just a site plan. I do prefer an office component over 4 new hotels!

Especially right now, with existing hotels not exactly running on all cylinders due to the virus-of-the-moment. It's exciting to think our economy can use a steady pipeline of new hotels, but if all the latest ones open up empty, we're better off cooling the jets for the moment.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 Oct 2020 09:35

Interesting listen at the P&Z meeting on Monday... It seems like the proposed 15 story tower at the corner of 114, O'Connor and Las Colinas Blvd already has a potential tenant. It's being designed for a tenant that has a National & International presence. They are a AAA rated business. They have been working with the City of Irving for about 2 years now, had another location picked that just didn't work out. They had Dan Powell with BOKA Powell on via phone to discuss the project. He said it's progressing quickly! They also had Kevin O'Neill from Fidelis Realty who is representing the tenant. From what I can gather they typically work with companies in the Healthcare field, but not sure that's 100%. He did say they plan to fully activate the canal which makes me happy to hear!

Should be interesting to see if this comes to fruition and at what pace...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Oct 2020 12:52

All signs are pointing to CHRISTUS Health as the potential tenant for the proposed tower in the Urban Center. They're already headquartered in Las Colinas down off Hidden Ridge in about 225K sf, so this would almost double their space and would be a move into the Urban Center. Looks like they have about 1K employees at HQ.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Oct 2020 09:32

Not to brag, but I worked with the DBJ to break this story. :) I was hesitant to report my findings because I know the City, the developer and CHRISTUS Health weren't ready for this info to get out. Several NDA's had been signed and I'm sure CHRISTUS is still in negotiations with the City about the project. I didn't want to risk maybe CHRISTUS pulling out of the project. But I ultimately decided to pass along the info to the DBJ and exchanged a few emails with them.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... rters.html

How did I figure out CHRISTUS was the potential tenant for the new proposed tower? Well, for starters I zoomed all over the site plan to see if I could find any clues. Yep, found one on the very top left portion of the site plan that BOKA Powell had submitted to P&Z for review. In teeny tiny print the name CHRISTUS appeared along with some other numbers and letters. That was my starting point, and really enough for me to feel confident that was the tenant! Next, I did some research on Fidelis Realty. It appears that Fidelis primarily works with healthcare companies. That gave me 2 connections! Finally, Kevin O'Neill whom is with Fidelis Realty spoke at the P&Z meeting regarding the project. I found several old articles in both the DBJ and D Magazine that discussed CHRISTUS choosing Las Colinas for it's new HQ back in 2012. Kevin O'Neill, whom was with CBRE then, actually helped negotiate the lease for CHRISTUS back in 2012 and is working on the deal today. So obviously that's his client. That gave me enough to go on and I felt 99.99% sure I had figured it out.

Now just looking forward to seeing this hopefully move forward and seeing some renderings. It's been TOO long since the Urban Center has seen a new office building.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 12 Oct 2020 11:57

Nice Kelly, great sleuthing - congrats and thanks!

The article is behind a paywall, any chance we could at least get some of the renderings posted here?

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 15 Oct 2020 02:53

Nice scoop, excited to see what is in store for this plot. Will be nice to see the hometown skyline a little changed when I'm finally allowed to fly back.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 02 Nov 2020 14:39

Kelley USA wrote:On another note, the Paws Colinas Dog Park is getting underway. It'll be right on California Crossing and run up against the Campion Trail. Looks like it'll be pretty big!

Just some follow-up on that Paws Colinas gig: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021001889

Pretty nice choice for Landscape Architecture firm as well.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 06 Nov 2020 19:48

Kelley USA wrote:How did I figure out CHRISTUS was the potential tenant for the new proposed tower? Well, for starters I zoomed all over the site plan to see if I could find any clues. Yep, found one on the very top left portion of the site plan that BOKA Powell had submitted to P&Z for review. In teeny tiny print the name CHRISTUS appeared along with some other numbers and letters. That was my starting point, and really enough for me to feel confident that was the tenant! Next, I did some research on Fidelis Realty. It appears that Fidelis primarily works with healthcare companies. That gave me 2 connections! Finally, Kevin O'Neill whom is with Fidelis Realty spoke at the P&Z meeting regarding the project. I found several old articles in both the DBJ and D Magazine that discussed CHRISTUS choosing Las Colinas for it's new HQ back in 2012. Kevin O'Neill, whom was with CBRE then, actually helped negotiate the lease for CHRISTUS back in 2012 and is working on the deal today. So obviously that's his client. That gave me enough to go on and I felt 99.99% sure I had figured it out.

Good job, btw!

Here's some data from a construction journal from a few days ago:

Code: Select all

Reported: 11/3/2020  New
Project Title   
Track Project
Christus Health Headquarters
Project Type      New Construction
Physical Address      North O'Connor Boulevard & West Las Colinas Boulevard  Map
City, State (County)      Irving, TX 75039   (Dallas County)
Category(s)      Commercial
Sub-Category(s)      Office
Contracting Method      Bids by Invitation.
Project Status      Schematic Drawings
Estimated Value      Greater than $10,000,000 CJ's Estimate
Owner

Christus Health   Website   Analysis   
919 Hidden Ridge
Irving, TX 75038   (469) 282-2000
Architect

Boka Powell Architects   Website   Analysis   
8070 Park Lane - Suite 300
Dallas, TX 75231   (972) 701-9000
fax: (972) 991-3008
info@bokapowell.com

LocatingLasColinas

Postby LocatingLasColinas » 20 Nov 2020 20:53

Good Evening Everyone!!

May I first lead with, WOW!! This is the exact group I've been seeking for! I have just spent hours combing through articles and link attachments catching up with everything that is Las Colinas for the past couple years of post.

I'll jump right in.

1.) Doesn't seem like there's been any update on the plat across the street from TMF correct? We know realpage is the holding company at the moment correct? I found this concept plan for what northshore was concepted to be before that purchase. https://gff.com/view/las-colinas-north-shore/

2.) New Offices on the corner of oconnor and las colinas blvd will be a great addition to the commercial growth and population influx we are needing to increase density within the area! Love it!

3.) Any word/progress with skypass and the 10 acre mix use development?

4.) Correct me I'm wrong but the corner lot that is remaining on las colinas blvd and o'connor is positioned on top of a parking garage correct? Could future development be built on top of it?

5.) WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE MANDALAY CANAL & PARMENTER? I heard Parmenter was approved for financing to renovate the entire canal area but they have no clue what they want to do.

7. There is 2 lots on the canal itself beside the extended stay along the service rd. Any information or idea if there is something planned there?

To those of you have taken the time to continue to add value to this thread - Thank You!

My name's Derek Ragan. I'm 29 years old and have been born and bread in the city of Irving. This city and the urban center are the places I frequent daily and love more than anything. I'm currently a realtor with dreams and aspirations to build & contribute something truly unique to the area. Aiding to the transformation that is to come. I believe Irving is a truly unique city that will represent what a modern successful mix of community residential and business can be. Thank you to all those who continue to believe in Irving! Looking forward to see what we can all collectively do!

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 23 Nov 2020 07:48

LocatingLasColinas wrote:Good Evening Everyone!!

May I first lead with, WOW!! This is the exact group I've been seeking for! I have just spent hours combing through articles and link attachments catching up with everything that is Las Colinas for the past couple years of post.

I'll jump right in.

1.) Doesn't seem like there's been any update on the plat across the street from TMF correct? We know realpage is the holding company at the moment correct? I found this concept plan for what northshore was concepted to be before that purchase. https://gff.com/view/las-colinas-north-shore/

2.) New Offices on the corner of oconnor and las colinas blvd will be a great addition to the commercial growth and population influx we are needing to increase density within the area! Love it!

3.) Any word/progress with skypass and the 10 acre mix use development?

4.) Correct me I'm wrong but the corner lot that is remaining on las colinas blvd and o'connor is positioned on top of a parking garage correct? Could future development be built on top of it?

5.) WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE MANDALAY CANAL & PARMENTER? I heard Parmenter was approved for financing to renovate the entire canal area but they have no clue what they want to do.

7. There is 2 lots on the canal itself beside the extended stay along the service rd. Any information or idea if there is something planned there?

To those of you have taken the time to continue to add value to this thread - Thank You!

My name's Derek Ragan. I'm 29 years old and have been born and bread in the city of Irving. This city and the urban center are the places I frequent daily and love more than anything. I'm currently a realtor with dreams and aspirations to build & contribute something truly unique to the area. Aiding to the transformation that is to come. I believe Irving is a truly unique city that will represent what a modern successful mix of community residential and business can be. Thank you to all those who continue to believe in Irving! Looking forward to see what we can all collectively do!

Cool post, and welcome to the thread. I grew up in Las Colinas - and have since moved so it's always nice to see so many active users representing the area!

vman

Postby vman » 23 Nov 2020 09:20

I notice yesterday driving past Las Colinas Village, Champps has closed!!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 23 Nov 2020 10:07

Hey Derek, welcome to the Forum! Always good to see some new people jumping over here to the Las Colinas thread. I'll just speak to the projects I know about...

1. RealPage has no real plans for the property across from TMF. I have a friend that works for RP and he indicated they have real estate holdings all over the place. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean they won't do something with it. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

3. Nothing new from Skypass. I would actually be very surprised if they managed to do anything with this property. They had been aiming to bring a Hilton Conrad Hotel to this project. There is a website for the project, but it doesn't have any info - www.mandalayfalls.com

4. Correct! There is a garage under some portion of that property. It can definitely be developed. Gables owns the property and it's been designated for Phase 2 of Gables Water Street. At some point we may see something, but Gables has never been in a hurry to move projects along.

7. The lots on the canal off the service road are both slated for hotels. In fact, council just approved one within the past 2 weeks. One lot is scheduled for a 6 story Hotel Indigo.

vman

Postby vman » 23 Nov 2020 11:10

I had to go on Loopnet for work last week and saw that the white office tower on 114 and Walnut Ridge has a sister tower proposed. I'm not sure when the original tower was built, but it has to be one of the newest towers in Las Colinas. The thing about these towers is that they've been replicated at least twice or possibly more times in the Dallas area. I know there are two near NorthPark and there are two off the N Dallas Tollway a little north of the Galleria. And I think I may have seen another one somewhere else. Are these being built by the same developer? It's so odd that the same office building has been built several times in the same metro area.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 23 Nov 2020 13:44

Article and rendering for the proposed Hotel Indigo that was just approved.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... approvals/

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 23 Nov 2020 14:02

I noticed on the firm's website, it's the image that pops-up first in background without going to the dropdown for projects:
https://www.type-six.com/

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 24 Nov 2020 10:20

Kelley USA wrote:7. The lots on the canal off the service road are both slated for hotels. In fact, council just approved one within the past 2 weeks. One lot is scheduled for a 6 story Hotel Indigo.

Wow, those lonesome pedestrian bridges without sidewalk access might actually experience getting walked on after 30 some-odd years.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 30 Nov 2020 10:59

Looks like Sprout's Farmers Market will be taking the vacant space next to Total Wine & More off MacArthur. Should be a good addition for Las Colinas!

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 30 Nov 2020 11:11

Kelley USA wrote:Looks like Sprout's Farmers Market will be taking the vacant space next to Total Wine & More off MacArthur. Should be a good addition for Las Colinas!

That's great, but seems like a small space.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 30 Nov 2020 12:07

Sprouts looks to be shooting for an October 2021 completion:

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021005077

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 30 Nov 2020 12:16

Kelley USA wrote:Looks like Northland Properties is moving forward with the first of their 2 hotels in the Star Park project. It'll be a 6 story hotel with an attached restaurant. Most likely this will the Sandman Signature Hotel with an attached Moxie's (just like what they did in Plano).

Update on Sandman Signature Hotel and Moxies Bar & Grill:

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021005086

One obvious thing of note is the completion date goes out to about 4.5 years from now based on that filing. That isn't likely for just this particular hotel and rather for the whole project scope I'd imagine.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 15 Dec 2020 14:53

Anyone hear any updates on Paws Colinas?

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 15 Dec 2020 14:59

TXGunLover wrote:Anyone hear any updates on Paws Colinas?

Maybe starting soon, at least according to this: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021001889

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 18 Jan 2021 09:31

Looks like PF Chang's To Go will be the first tenant to start build-out at Star Park. I didn't know this was a business model for them. They'll be taking 1800sf for a takeout & delivery only restaurant. My assumption is it'll go right next to where Starbucks is going in.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021007659

vman

Postby vman » 19 Jan 2021 07:41

I noticed last week that the GAP store on McArthur is closing.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 19 Jan 2021 07:52

The best buy across 635 by 54th Street Grill is closing in March.

vman

Postby vman » 25 Jan 2021 07:26

Original Pancake House off LBJ has closed. I did hear a new Starbucks will be built next to the Walmart off 183 and another one in downtown Irving. (A neighbor works for the City of Irving).

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Jan 2021 12:10

RELOCATION STATION: These sites in Irving-Las Colinas could land the next big HQ

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... linas.html

anpatel00

Postby anpatel00 » 02 Feb 2021 11:34

Applicant is proposing rezoning to convert the existing Original Pancake House building that closed down into a multi-tenant building which will to allow a new Denny’s restaurant to continue to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption and create a separate retail suite (1,358sf).

Also, First Watch off 635/Beltline is officially open. Menu looks amazing.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Feb 2021 09:44

CHRISTUS Health is coming before Council this week looking for an Economic Development Incentive. This will be for their new 15 story HQ building at the corner of Las Colinas Blvd & O'Connor. Construction is expected to start this Summer. The agenda packet has all the plans and a rendering. It looks like they fully plan to activate the canal and waterfall which is great (good for both residents & office workers)!

https://www.cityofirving.org/DocumentCe ... nda-Packet

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Feb 2021 14:27

Kelley USA wrote:CHRISTUS Health is coming before Council this week looking for an Economic Development Incentive. This will be for their new 15 story HQ building at the corner of Las Colinas Blvd & O'Connor. Construction is expected to start this Summer. The agenda packet has all the plans and a rendering. It looks like they fully plan to activate the canal and waterfall which is great (good for both residents & office workers)!

https://www.cityofirving.org/DocumentCe ... nda-Packet

Not bad, not exactly a stunner but another tower for LC.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 08 Feb 2021 19:13

For reference, pg 200+ and on.
I dont see the waterfall. there are some waterfeatures, but its not clear what
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.09.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.07.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.07.18 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 09 Feb 2021 09:17

The waterfall already exist. It was built back in the 80's. Here it is:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPho ... Texas.html

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 10 Feb 2021 12:14

Thanks for the excerpts and for keeping tabs on this!

A clarification please, if you would: it looks like they will build a single-use parking garage with a bench on the side, and the garage is tall enough to put both the canal and bench in shadow until late afternoons. Is there an active activation, other than sidewalk and passive landscape design, that you were highlighting about the activation of the canal?

I feel like a little positive space, e.g. partly enclosed court yards, would go a long way to end the windswept office park negative space experience of the pedestrian realm.

Even a parking garage with a precast wing wall that cantilevers in an arch above the canal and visually embraces and frames the space, as a screen, in collaboration with the mature trees on the opposite bank, would help cure the leftover feeling of this design.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 11 Feb 2021 11:21

Saw a good synopsis of this in a document about revitalizing Brownsville.

"Reinvestment in alleys, in spaces between buildings, and in other public space brings added value to all buildings and future living units in a town center. Placemaking, like interior decorating, must create a strong, compelling sense that makes time spent in these spaces rewarding and memorable. Consider the public and private realm of a town center as a public/private partnership. Places can be funky and relaxed, but they must be thoughtful, sensitive to place, and maintained."
and
"Alley, plaza, or paseo spaces must be carefully crafted to bring about proper levels of enclosure, transparency, human scale, complexity, imageability and comfort."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Feb 2021 12:32

One of these days, the urban centre will turn out to be a really great place to be.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 11 Feb 2021 14:00

I would be so happy about that.

I almost think the best thing would be to divide all remaining land into tiny Main Street lots. Have a thousand people making ten thousand risk-vs-reward decisions every year, on every block, as opposed to the current 10 people making 100 centralized decisions a year.

"Chaotic but smart" instead of "orderly but dumb," as Strong Towns says... that's what LC and every other urban center is ready to start doing again. There are several limiting factors that all have to be relieved for an Urban Center to keep growing.

REITs and savvy investors, for example, are perfectly capable of being as dumb for the cityscape as urban renewal planners.

The problem with major neighborhood redevelopment wasn't just data diversity and "skin in the game" -- if it had been, private sector would be far more different than government-led efforts than it really is. The problem was skin in the game AND lack of small scale owners with massive redundancy/competition in their decisionmaking.

Markets don't function well and find market-clearing prices efficiently without high competition, which involves redundancy, which looks inefficient. Participants, in turn, can't make enough active decisions to help optimize a price or other outcome, however, if there's a fee on every action. Stock trading volume increased dramatically just by suspending some commissions and fees. Google wouldn't be the service that it is if it had to pay a permit fee for every A/B test of its user experience. We need to accept that rapid local iteration isn't going to benefit our built environment if we keep it illegal.

Similarly, if a resident or businessperson finds that building a park bench by the street in front of your property requires three hearings with separate city departments -- and then a new permit every time you tweak the design to see if it improves it -- there won't be a good streetscape that soon gets better and better with time.

We are sticking with a decision-making process that allows for just a few hopefully good planning decisions to be optimized, rather than a bunch to be prototyped, given real-world feedback and quickly improved. City councils and committees can't perform that function.

This seems like it ought to appeal to libertarians, populists, smart growthers and anti-corporate people on both left and right, as well as some of the more entrepreneurial American pro-corporate voices too. But I don't see it currently catching on anywhere.

No less a luminary than Andrés Duany, cofounder of the New Urbanism, worked from 2013-2018 or so on a nationwide urbanist initiative to do this. It was patterned on Lean Production in automotive and software, and backed by the nonpartisan Knight Foundation, but there were few to no jurisdictions willing to relax any of their ordinances to even test run a few of its outcomes. It seems like they got nearly nowhere. If somebody who planned Seaside, FL (the Truman Show backdrop) can't convince authorities that this will be stable and orderly, who would be able to tell them?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Feb 2021 09:27

Much better rendering out today in the DBJ for the new CHRISTUS Health HQ...

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... rters.html

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Mar 2021 12:25

Looks like Hudson House will be taking over the former Taco Diner space... Really glad to see high-quality restaurants like this starting to look at Las Colinas. Hudson House is fantastic!

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/HKQdvrP8 ... 021721.pdf

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 03 Mar 2021 12:30

Sounds like Alamo is closing the Las Colinas location as part of their bankruptcy...

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 03 Mar 2021 12:41

TXGunLover wrote:Sounds like Alamo is closing the Las Colinas location as part of their bankruptcy...

I saw the bankruptcy thing, but I didn't see any mention of the Las Colinas closure. The articles mentioned a location in Austin, New Braunfels and Kansas City would close but those were the only ones. Honestly, I am a bit surprised. I've gone to at least a dozen movies here and it's never been crowded...

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 03 Mar 2021 12:45

Kelley USA wrote:
TXGunLover wrote:Sounds like Alamo is closing the Las Colinas location as part of their bankruptcy...

I saw the bankruptcy thing, but I didn't see any mention of the Las Colinas closure. The articles mentioned a location in Austin, New Braunfels and Kansas City would close but those were the only ones. Honestly, I am a bit surprised. I've gone to at least a dozen movies here and it's never been crowded...

We've been to dozens as well and it's always empty.

Addison

Postby Addison » 03 Mar 2021 15:47

Do you have a source for this?

Everything I can find on the internet doesn't mention anything about the Las Colinas location closing.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 03 Mar 2021 16:00

Addison wrote:

Everything I can find on the internet doesn't mention anything about the Las Colinas location closing.

The articles published listed the closings for their city. The press release said they were closing those as well as other under-performing locations.

Addison

Postby Addison » 03 Mar 2021 17:12

TXGunLover wrote:
Addison wrote:

The articles published listed the closings for their city. The press release said they were closing those as well as other under-performing locations.

Can you pleae provide a link to any one of those articles that mention the Las Colinas location is closing?

The article below from the Austin American-Statesman says only the locations in downtown Austin, Kansas City and New Braunfels are closing permanently:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 901907002/

Addison

Postby Addison » 03 Mar 2021 18:26

Also, FWIW, I was at the Best Buy in Las Colinas 2 weeks ago today and the cashier confirmed that location is closing permanently on 3/6.

caddiesense

Postby caddiesense » 03 Mar 2021 20:52

Signage has already been removed from the Best Buy and the store is closed. Of course, Fry's Electronics is also officially out of business as well but I guess that should probably be in the Cypress Waters thread since it's closer to that.

Addison

Postby Addison » 03 Mar 2021 21:56

caddiesense wrote:Signage has already been removed from the Best Buy and the store is closed. Of course, Fry's Electronics is also officially out of business as well but I guess that should probably be in the Cypress Waters thread since it's closer to that.

Hmmm, I guess they already sold all of their merchandise and decided to close early.

These closures pretty much leaves that part of town without an Electronics store.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 03 Mar 2021 22:01

Fry's has been 50% or more empty for more than 2 years.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 04 Mar 2021 09:26

Here's an article that better explains Alamo Drafthouse... None of the DFW locations are closing:

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/ente ... ankruptcy/

Addison

Postby Addison » 04 Mar 2021 10:19

Kelley USA wrote:Here's an article that better explains Alamo Drafthouse... None of the DFW locations are closing:

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/ente ... ankruptcy/

Thank you.