Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Kelley USA

Re: Las Colinas/North Irving Development

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Apr 2019 10:31

ignition wrote:On the subject of Hops and Vines... I'd really like to know what's going on between the owner and the city. I've heard lots of hubbub in the craft beer community about how the owner has been trying to get up and running for ages BUT... I wonder how much of that is coming from the owner.

I used to love Las Colinas Beverages. It had a great selection and the owner was always pretty friendly. Then 2 years passed as he tried to "get licenses" and whatnot. I'm not exactly sure that takes 24 months.

The fact that he has a growler bar is awesome but he NEVER updates his listings on either his Facebook or other app pages. Honestly he kind of lost my business because of that. I really, really hope that place succeeds but he's somewhere stuck between trying to operate a bar and a bottle shop. He needs to just pick one option and go with it.

I can actually shed a little light on this... Within the City of Irving you can't just operate a bar without serving food. When Hops & Vines first applied for a certificate and liquor license it came with the understanding that at least 30% of sales had to come from food purchases. They even submitted a food menu to the City of Irving prior to getting the appropriate approval for the business. After a certain amount of time the owner stopped sending in his reports to the City which shows the percentage of food and liquor being sold. The City made numerous phone calls and sent numerous certified letters. They even did inspections and found that there wasn't even a kitchen in the back for preparing food. The city asked the owner several times to come down to City Hall and speak with them in good faith. The City was genuinely trying to help the guy out. Several times he didn't even show up after saying he would come down and talk to them. When he finally did show up he said he had no idea how to fill out the alcohol / food reports and then submitted a report which showed only 10% of sales were food (apparently he was buying / serving pizza from the Italian Café). So at the end of the day the City was left with no choice but to try and shut the business down. There was a pretty well documented report in one of the last Council Work Sessions...

ignition

Postby ignition » 04 Apr 2019 12:59

Thanks Kelley! Honestly none of that surprises me... the owner does seem to legitimately like his customers and wants to succeed but he seems to shoot himself in the foot frequently. I guess the only silver lining is that Las Colinas now has a Whole Foods and Nosh & Bottle where I can go to buy decent beer. Hops & Vines obviously has a much better selection but I just can't see the owner put in the effort needed to continue operating.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 08 Apr 2019 12:01

Finally we're getting a coffee shop in the Urban Center... A place called Pax & Beneficia has signed a lease in Water Street in the space right next to Go Fish Poke. Don't know much about it. Only Pax coffee shop I could find is in Kerrville, TX. So might be the same owners. Great addition, especially considering I always thought a Starbucks or Dunkin would absolutely clean-up with an Urban Center location in LC.

muncien

Postby muncien » 17 Apr 2019 09:39

Reservoir, at the Toyota Music Factory had an INVITE ONLY party/opening last night. Place looks amazing. They did a much better job at integrating the interior with the exterior plaza area. There are TV's everywhere, and nearly every wall opens up to the outside. This place will be awesome for watching games.
Unfortunately, my multiple attempts to infiltrate were unsuccessful and I don't have any pics. But they did mention that they will be open to the public starting tonight. Not sure when their official 'grand opening' will be, and with weather being what it is tonight, I would probably hold off for another day.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 17 Apr 2019 10:58

Kelley USA wrote:Finally we're getting a coffee shop in the Urban Center... A place called Pax & Beneficia has signed a lease in Water Street in the space right next to Go Fish Poke. Don't know much about it. Only Pax coffee shop I could find is in Kerrville, TX. So might be the same owners. Great addition, especially considering I always thought a Starbucks or Dunkin would absolutely clean-up with an Urban Center location in LC.

There's a "sorta Starbucks" in the Urban Towers that is accessible by the people mover, but I totally agree that it's taken too long for a public-facing coffee shop in the Urban Center...

ignition

Postby ignition » 25 Apr 2019 15:49

Looks like Hops & Vines is back open? I saw they took down their sign above the storefront but they put up a much small sign alongside Las Colinas Blvd. that says "Now Open!"

So... I guess it's back open?

muncien

Postby muncien » 26 Apr 2019 08:59

ignition wrote:Looks like Hops & Vines is back open? I saw they took down their sign above the storefront but they put up a much small sign alongside Las Colinas Blvd. that says "Now Open!"

So... I guess it's back open?

I saw that on Wednesday as well, but wasn't sure what to make of it. I haven't have a chance to stop by. Curious...

foleymi1

Postby foleymi1 » 01 May 2019 10:46

I haven't been back to Hops & Vines since it closed either but looks like he updated his Untappd beer list on April 26th and people have been checking in beer there on the app pretty consistently since the 19th.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 May 2019 10:19

The application for rezoning came before P&Z last night for Mexican Sugar, so this one is moving along now. It's the spot right next to Whiskey Cake. Just to provide context for those that don't know, both concepts are owned by Frontburner along with Ida Claire, The Ranch, Haywire, Legacy Hall, Velvet Taco, The Keeper and Sixty Vines.

I will say, this does seem like a very odd location to open the 2nd Mexican Sugar - much less a freestanding one. I mean don't get me wrong, love that they're coming to Las Colinas but would love to have seen it closer to the Urban Core (for selfish reasons). Maybe we'll get a Velvet Taco soon??

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 07 May 2019 10:24

I would have preferred Sixty Vines... not impressed with Mexican Sugar, but lots of people love it.

Liquor sales passed, and Total Wine and More alerted the Chamber of Commerce they want the Toys R Us building on MacArthur. Woo hoo!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 May 2019 10:56

TXGunLover wrote:I would have preferred Sixty Vines... not impressed with Mexican Sugar, but lots of people love it.

Liquor sales passed, and Total Wine and More alerted the Chamber of Commerce they want the Toys R Us building on MacArthur. Woo hoo!

Would love to have Total Wine and More! That would be a great spot for them too... Assuming Specs will be hunting for a location too to help protect the market share they currently enjoy from their NW Hwy locations.

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 May 2019 11:12

Kelley USA wrote:
TXGunLover wrote:I would have preferred Sixty Vines... not impressed with Mexican Sugar, but lots of people love it.

Would love to have Total Wine and More! That would be a great spot for them too... Assuming Specs will be hunting for a location too to help protect the market share they currently enjoy from their NW Hwy locations.

Totally... Great news!

But, this makes me wonder what will become of NW HWY. It was quite the arm pit already, but now, without all the alcohol sales, what's left? Tatoos and shooting range? That little stretch is capable of so much more with the Elm fork of the Trinity running adjacent to it. Doubt it'll ever happen though...

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 07 May 2019 11:14

You never know... Dallas did well with their Cypress Waters area...

ignition

Postby ignition » 07 May 2019 13:16

TXGunLover wrote:

Let the liquor flow! Finally a place that's guaranteed to have a great beer selection AND be open on a consistent basis! :lol:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 May 2019 09:28

Look at East Dallas. Those liquor sale islands have been mostly replaced with new development where places like Centennial Liquor once stood.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 08 May 2019 10:01

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Look at East Dallas. Those liquor sale islands have been mostly replaced with new development where places like Centennial Liquor once stood.

Thank goodness- they were horrible eyesores. I wish the ones on Riverfront in DTD would depart.

kwilliam

Postby kwilliam » 10 May 2019 16:10

foleymi1 wrote:I haven't been back to Hops & Vines since it closed either but looks like he updated his Untappd beer list on April 26th and people have been checking in beer there on the app pretty consistently since the 19th.

Seems to be closed again. Went by there last night and he said he was still having zoning issues and was hoping to open again soon.

muncien

Postby muncien » 13 May 2019 08:38

kwilliam wrote:
foleymi1 wrote:I haven't been back to Hops & Vines since it closed either but looks like he updated his Untappd beer list on April 26th and people have been checking in beer there on the app pretty consistently since the 19th.

Seems to be closed again. Went by there last night and he said he was still having zoning issues and was hoping to open again soon.

Yeah... I saw the same back on Tuesday. He said he was hoping to be back open by this week, but only for 'to-go' service and no more drinking inside. So weird that it would take this long to figure out a valid business model.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 May 2019 12:15

Well this is awesome news for the Toyota Music Factory! What a great addition and something that's homegrown and run by operators with experience!

https://www.guidelive.com/food-and-drin ... 1557853724

muncien

Postby muncien » 14 May 2019 12:27

^^^
That's pretty great news! Perhaps I'm blind, but I didn't see what space they were taking...?

Also,
I've been going to TMF pretty much weekly for a while now (mostly on Tuesdays). Seems to me that nearly every venue is doing quite well... more so since the hotel opened (as expected). Anybody else notice the same (or different)?

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 14 May 2019 14:38

muncien wrote:^^^
That's pretty great news! Perhaps I'm blind, but I didn't see what space they were taking...?

Also,
I've been going to TMF pretty much weekly for a while now (mostly on Tuesdays). Seems to me that nearly every venue is doing quite well... more so since the hotel opened (as expected). Anybody else notice the same (or different)?

There definitely seems to be enough corporate/office HH traffic to keep all of the "brewhouses" busy- early on I thought that Yardhouse, Thirsty Lion, and Bar Louie were all basically interchangeable and at least one would close within the year, but they all seem to be doing decent business. It's unfortunate that some of the more casual places didn't last (Top Round) but maybe with more consistent foot traffic from the hotel and the completion of the road construction, new places can fill in the vacancies and thrive.

It helps a bit that the parking staff have chilled out some, but they still don't have a good model for handling show traffic vs restaurant traffic in the garage. They have all the tech for a time ticket + validation system that would do a decent job separating diners from concertgoers, but instead there's always staff manning the gates asking where people are going (and as long as you aren't stupid, you'll always say "dinner" and save the cash).

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 May 2019 15:09

I think Mama Tried is taking the old Bar Manzanilla space right by the Plaza stage. Good spot! Although from what I remember it's not that big. I've generally thought most of the businesses were doing well at TMF, but they do seem to be even busier these days. Some of that has to do with warmer weather and people venturing out more. Some of it also the 2 new hotels. I also think Reservoir has helped to draw more people in. That place is generally packed and people seem to really be enjoying it.

cp9641

Postby cp9641 » 21 May 2019 14:26

What happen with the Shops of Las Colinas development? Was looking forward to Market Street and the restaurants shown in the renderings.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 21 May 2019 14:33

They told the city council they were going to wait until they had more leases. The residential will move forward but the retail, including Market Street, is "paused".

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 May 2019 14:50

cp9641 wrote:What happen with the Shops of Las Colinas development? Was looking forward to Market Street and the restaurants shown in the renderings.

This development has been a head-scratcher! As TXG already indicated the development has been put on pause. I think UCR has done a terrible job at attracting tenants to fill the space, and quite frankly I'm not sure the developer has the money to see it through. The current proposal has been around for at least 5 years, and not a single rendering has ever been shown at P&Z, at City Council meetings or on the UCR website. This could and should be a really beautiful development with a nice water features and lush landscaping with high quality tenants... However I feel like if it ever gets built it'll be nothing more than a typical lackluster strip center. The thing that bothers me is that they clear-cut the land and then just basically pulled the plug. I don't see much hope, even more knowing that UCR pulled this development from their website about 3 months ago. It'll still pull up on loopnet but no new info has been posted in quite awhile.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 May 2019 14:57

Here's to hoping for a better use of the land the next time around. I really wasn't very impressed with the plans we had seen. I know there was a lot of negative input from neighbors about a previous mixed use proposal, but perhaps that feeling has subsided with the current housing stock going in now... I don't know. But, I'd love to see something more impressive done here than just another shopping center with a few restaurant pads.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 21 May 2019 15:01

muncien wrote:Here's to hoping for a better use of the land the next time around. I really wasn't very impressed with the plans we had seen. I know there was a lot of negative input from neighbors about a previous mixed use proposal, but perhaps that feeling has subsided with the current housing stock going in now... I don't know. But, I'd love to see something more impressive done here than just another shopping center with a few restaurant pads.

Will the market really support more than "something more impressive"? It appears to me it couldn't support this mid-range proposal...

cp9641

Postby cp9641 » 21 May 2019 17:12

Was it a way for them to get the residential part of the development approved and started? I hope its just paused for now because the developer sees more potential for a better development in the future. I agree the proposed tenants weren't the best.

Has the Toms Thumb by Northgate/MacArthur close yet? I remember hearing something about that location closing down. Maybe a Market Street, Central Market, or Traders Joe's could be attracted to that space.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 21 May 2019 17:16

cp9641 wrote:Was it a way for them to get the residential part of the development approved and started? I hope its just paused for now because the developer sees more potential for a better development in the future. I agree the proposed tenants weren't the best.

Has the Toms Thumb by Northgate/MacArthur close yet? I remember hearing something about that location closing down. Maybe a Market Street, Central Market, or Traders Joe's could be attracted to that space.

The "rumor" is Market Street was the one with cold feet, and did not believe the residential market would support one of their stores in close proximity to Kroger and Whole Foods.

TXGunLover

Postby TXGunLover » 21 May 2019 17:17

The "rumor" is Market Street was the one with cold feet, and did not believe the residential market would support one of their stores in close proximity to Kroger and Whole Foods.

muncien

Postby muncien » 22 May 2019 08:45

TXGunLover wrote:The "rumor" is Market Street was the one with cold feet, and did not believe the residential market would support one of their stores in close proximity to Kroger and Whole Foods.

That wouldn't surprise me. I think we all saw that even Whole Foods had cold feet going into their location. This proposed site for Market Street isn't all that accessible to anyone except for the new neighborhood immediately adjacent to it. All the other nearby populations, such as Valley Ranch, Las Colinas, and the quickly growing Cypress Waters would have to drive past either Whole Foods or Kroger to get here.

As for making the plan more ambitious... I don't mean better retail. I actually was referring to less retail and more residential above. This area is bursting with retail. Vacancies are fairly low, but there is quite a bit of turnover. I really don't think the market here needs more square footage. But what does extremely well is Multi-Family. So cutting back on the retail and adding multi-family (if they can get it approved) seems like a no-brainer.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 May 2019 08:57

Redo adds more horse power to Las Colinas' landmark Williams Square

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ams-square

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 24 May 2019 10:01

Mama Tried has wasted no time getting started on their build out at The Music Factory. They've already demoed much of the existing space and have started on some new framing. I wonder if they'll redo the patio portion? I also wonder how much if any of the original Bar Manzanilla stuff they saved? Billy Bob spent quite a bit on the build-out and I thought Bar Manzanilla was a really beautiful space.

I'm really excited about this one though! I think having a concept from the likes of Brooke Humphries (Mudsmith, Barcadia, Beauty Bar) will really put some eyes on Las Colinas for other local bar / restaurant operators to consider the area. I know Brooke is also currently planning a bar tavern concept for Victory Park too.

quacksax

Postby quacksax » 26 May 2019 13:39

Tnexster wrote:Redo adds more horse power to Las Colinas' landmark Williams Square

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ams-square

This looks nice, but I question how connected to the Water Street development it'll be without some modification to O'Connor. Convert it from a 4-lane street to a 2-lane street with a turning lane, protected bike lane with parallel parked cars, wider sidewalks, and a lower speed limit, then that crossing may feel a bit less daunting. A more comfortable walk along OConnor may also spur development to the east of Water Street and connect it to all of the apartments and Dart station on the east side of the lake. This area has a lot of potential, but in my opinion, it needs to be more focused on cohesion and less focused on speeding traffic through.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 May 2019 13:58

Looks like hotel next to Champps is underway.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 27 May 2019 06:59

Gingerman is officially open as of yesterday. Had some opening day kinks but it already had a good crowd there. Will do very well.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 28 May 2019 09:48

Looks like the nail has been put in the coffin for The Shops at Las Colinas. Over the weekend the Market Street signs came down and the property has been put up For Sale. This one is done! I wonder if we'll see some of the restaurants that had committed to the project start to look elsewhere? I actually think Hopdoddy's would be a great fit for Water Street!

And yes speaking of Water Street, The Gingerman is open as already mentioned! I walked by on Sunday and the place looked pretty lively. It's nice to see a little energy make its way back towards the lake. Pacific Table is also cruising right along with build-out. I'm impressed with how Cork & Pig turned out so I'm certain Pacific Table will be a beautiful space (same company)…

muncien

Postby muncien » 28 May 2019 10:17

Wasn't Hopdoddy's already on the Water Street plan back in the day? Maybe I'm dreaming that... But it would be funny if they were to come full circle. I know there were several changes over the years it took to get that place going (I'm still bummed the Londoner didn't make it).

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 28 May 2019 10:44

muncien wrote:Wasn't Hopdoddy's already on the Water Street plan back in the day? Maybe I'm dreaming that... But it would be funny if they were to come full circle. I know there were several changes over the years it took to get that place going (I'm still bummed the Londoner didn't make it).

Hopdoddy's was never on the site plan, but Twisted Root was. In fact they had been announced as a tenant and even appeared on the banner. They were originally suppose to go in where Go Fish Poke is now. I would love to go back and look at all of those old site plans. I remember names like Breadwinner's, Café Herrera, Main Street Bakery, Planet Sub, Freebirds, State Fare are just a few that come to mind. I even remember an older Phase 2 site plan that had Luke's Locker and several fashion retailers. There was even a site plan that had a Starbuck's with a drive-thru. Oh the good ol days!

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 31 May 2019 10:04

Just wanted to share some information... Sent an email to someone handling retail leasing for Williams Square. I haven't really seen much info on this with regards to site plans, available spaces etc... The only thing we've really heard about is re-doing the plaza area. But, they are actively marketing retail space at Williams Square to potential restaurants. I'm not sure if this would just be plaza space or if they are looking to overhaul the entire frontage of Williams Square. One of the names they are in discussion with is a restaurant that abandoned the now dead Shops of Las Colinas. I think I've said this before too, but I think a Del Frisco's Grille would be a great fit for a Williams Square location.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 07 Jun 2019 09:59

I saw a sign yesterday in the former Top Round Roast Beef space at the Toyota Music Factory... Coming Soon - Pacheco Taco Bar. Never heard of it and can't seem to find any info online. Sounds like it could just be a local looking to open his first restaurant?!?

I actually think this spot makes sense for something like a Taco Bar. I've actually looked at the space several times and thought Velvet Taco would be nice there. Sure, parking is a bit of an issue - but if you have a cool space with great tacos people will come. Have a nice little patio and a cool bar area and I can see quite a few people walking from the neighborhood to eat.

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 Jun 2019 10:49

There are quite a few people from the Urban Center who walk over here during lunch time (it's a shame the people mover station never worked out). This space is one of the first places they all pass by. I agree that a taco bar would be a HIT if done right.
I loved Top Round Roast Beef, but as good as it is, it targets a fairly limited demographic. Softening the aesthetics a bit would help as well. The existing finishes, while bright and clean, weren't all that inviting, and had the feel of a corporate break room... something these workers are probably trying to get away from.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Jun 2019 12:00

Had to dig to find this, but finally found some info on the 114 and 161 Blue Star Project. It's pretty meh, but assuming it's a work in progress and does have some potential.

https://www.lpcretail.com/wp-content/up ... 5.2019.pdf

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 22 Jun 2019 12:15

Kelley USA wrote:Had to dig to find this, but finally found some info on the 114 and 161 Blue Star Project. It's pretty meh, but assuming it's a work in progress and does have some potential.

There's been a demolition company trailer on the 161 side of the property for *weeks* (although there's not anything there to demolish) and several scattered flag-stake-sticks until the last couple of weeks. Since then a couple of pieces of construction machinery have been playing in the dirt a couple of times, but no thorough clearing of any part of the land. There's been no move as of yet to connect Meridian between High Point and 161. So far, I'm not seeing retail/commercial rush to be on this site. The thing that sticks out the most for me, and blame it on years in the hotel biz if you like, but I am not sure how well the plans and early going are and will be for the 2 hotels there. I seriously doubt there is widespread name recognition for Sutton Place or Sandman (amazingly ironic name for a hotel) among business or leisure travelers around the US unless they've traveled actively in Canada (where the chains are from) in the past. I am wondering for one thing, because if the demand and cash flow were there for them, the construction would have surely been underway by now. There's only one Sandman property in the US at the moment, and it just got completed in the last year or so in Plano near Legacy/Granite Park. It took a *while* for that project to finish and open.

I would think a piece of land at an accessible interchange in this area would already have been built on by now. Well, I guess time will tell what really happens. Good work Kelley on finding the linkie.

muncien

Postby muncien » 25 Jun 2019 12:46

Kelley USA wrote:Had to dig to find this, but finally found some info on the 114 and 161 Blue Star Project. It's pretty meh, but assuming it's a work in progress and does have some potential.

Well, that is certainly disappointing. Is it just me, or does every iteration of proposals for this site get worse as time goes on? lol

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Jun 2019 15:07

muncien wrote:

Well, that is certainly disappointing. Is it just me, or does every iteration of proposals for this site get worse as time goes on? lol

Dude, no doubt!! Give it another year and we'll end up with an Aldi's and Burger King... I do hope this one turns out better than the rendering. I think some of this will also depend on the restaurants they're able to attract. Would love to see them target tenants like Mesero's, Hudson House and even a good quality steakhouse.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Jun 2019 00:42

This morning as I passed the site, I noticed 2 sections of erosion tarp in place along the High Point Drive frontage. Guess they'll actually be doing more than picking at the dirt soon (?)....

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Jun 2019 02:40

DFW Airport business park gets three new hotels

Avion Business Park, off TX 114 and west of Esters, has decided to add 3 hotels to its park:
* Avid Hotel (https://www.ihg.com/avidhotels/hotels/us/en/reservation)
* Even Hotel (https://www.ihg.com/evenhotels/hotels/us/en/reservation)
* Staybridge Suites
which are all part of IHG (Inter-Continental Hotels group). The hotels should all open by 2021, according to the article.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... new-hotels

muncien

Postby muncien » 27 Jun 2019 10:27

^^^^
I saw that on the agenda, but I didn't bother looking closer as the area doesn't really grab your attention. It is interesting how many new hotels are coming online in the area. There are already a TON of hotels along 114 between the airport and the Urban Center, but being that most of it is dated, its good to see new product coming online.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 01 Jul 2019 12:47

So looks like the Blue Star Project is definitely going now... The land is cleared and being leveled. I haven't seen any permits pulled yet though for construction, so assuming they're just getting the land ready and we'll see those come soon. I have however seen permits for the apartment complex that's part of the project, however, contracts with the City indicate they can't start the apartments until a certain % of the retail portion is built and leased.