Richardson: CityLine

Tnexster

Richardson: CityLine

Postby Tnexster » 02 Dec 2016 21:28

New office tower, hotel and hundreds of apartments on the way at $1.5 billion CityLine

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... n-cityline

More than 1,500 apartments are under construction at CityLine and next door. And project developer KDC is eyeing a new office tower that will bring more businesses to the project.

"We have a tower that we are planning just east that will be 400,000 square feet and 17 stories," said Walt Mountford, KDC executive vice president. "It will sit right on State Street and will be a multi-tenant building."

The 148-room Aloft CityLine Hotel that's still under construction will open in February next to State Farm's offices.

Plans are in the works for a multi-screen AMC cinema on the east side of Plano Road.

Adjacent to CityLine and DART's commuter rail station, Trammell Crow Residential is building over 700 apartments in its Alexan CityLine project. The massive residential community will eventually have more than 1,000 apartments on both sides of CityLine Drive.

The_Overdog

Re: Richardson: CityLine

Postby The_Overdog » 05 Dec 2016 11:00

Not technically a part of CityLine, but less than half a mile south so close enough:
A new 5 story 420 unit apartment complex with a 7 story parking garage is being designed along Routh Creek Parkway. The complex will be built on private land adjacent to the Galatyn Woodland Nature preserve, about halfway between the BlueCross/Blue Shield offices to the south and CityLine to the north. It will also be adjacent to the historical gravesite area that the Campbells, Rouths, and Renners and whomever first settled this area and whom all the streets are named after are buried.

I'm surprised the city of Richardson didn't purchase this land to complete the Galatyn nature area, and is allowing the Galatyn Woodland area to be carved up for intensive use.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 09 Jan 2017 11:27

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 12 Jan 2017 09:32

Here's the announcement of the apartment complex next to the Spring Creek nature area

They didn't waste any time on this one. Once a legit forest, the land is now cleared and the pile of trees looks like a slightly smaller version of the Aggie Bonfire.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jan 2017 13:16

^I wish they would preserve pockets of forest land like that.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 16 Jan 2017 08:50

I think they're doing a pretty large expansion of the Spring Creek Nature Preserve, no? I saw crews clearing out some of the brush on Renner, so even though there may be some of the area getting clear-cut for these apartments, I think there is some positive development too.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 09 Mar 2017 08:54

Here's the announcement of the apartment complex next to the Spring Creek nature area.

They have fenced off the small cemetery that is part of this project to protect it from construction damage. I guess once complete, it will be one of the few apartment complexes in the US that counts a historical cemetery as an amenity. Unless they move the headstones but not the bodies, then the whole place will be haunted.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Mar 2017 15:35

Dallas' KDC to add 17-acre park to $1.5B CityLine development in Richardson

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... yline.html

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 10 Mar 2017 08:37

I had no idea this park was in the cards. Great news! City Line park is tiny, so having additional greenspace will be a plus.

I wonder if there are any plans for improving walkability in the area. Plano Rd doesn't seem like a picnic to traverse at the moment. Would a pedestrian bridge be completely ridiculous?

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 10 Mar 2017 10:04

I wonder if there are any plans for improving walkability in the area. Plano Rd doesn't seem like a picnic to traverse at the moment. Would a pedestrian bridge be completely ridiculous?

Seems like a bridge (or tunnel like they have in McKinney) would be absolutely necessary, as this park is located on the far east side, away from all the multi-family residential and well into the suburban-esque designed part of the project, and adjacent to corporate fences and edges of parking lots.

Even the single family to the south of the park is across Renner, which is a 30k cars a day street -not exactly easy to cross.

If they don't improve the pedestrian connectivity, then few will be going to go to this park.

Also since I don't read the article no good, another article states "Phase one will include a 75-foot-long bridge to accommodate pedestrian and bicyclist traffic, a covered pavilion, playgrounds for children of various ages, limestone benches underneath shady canopy trees, ornamental planting beds, and connectivity to citywide hike and bike trail systems." which I assume is a bridge across Plano Road.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 10 Mar 2017 12:09

Goodness gracious, I totally flew by that note on the bridge in the article. I'd read the DMN article, which didn't mention it, but should have! That's a huge element of the development.

The bridge in City Line Park is pretty nice. It feels a little odd as there's not much to see, but the bridge is well made.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 28 Mar 2017 21:28

Construction crews are working on another major project on Routh Creek Parkway. Not sure what it's going to be yet, I'm assuming apartments as well. They are putting up construction fencing and chopping away at more of the Spring Creek Nature Preserve. This is on the other side of the creek from the first project, so I don't think it's part of the first project.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 19 Apr 2017 10:13

12 story 200 room hotel planned for the corner of US75 and PGBT Turnpike. I thought the hotel was going to be more internal to CityLine originally. I have not seen the brand mentioned yet.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Apr 2017 11:44

These gigantic consolidated corporate service centers and have taken hold in many population centers, but I cannot help but wonder how long the configuration will last..., then how long to retool the garages, gut and redesign the office floorplan.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 19 Apr 2017 11:46

The_Overdog wrote:12 story 200 room hotel planned for the corner of US75 and PGBT Turnpike. I thought the hotel was going to be more internal to CityLine originally. I have not seen the brand mentioned yet.

Wow, nice! I wonder how it will connect to everything else, assuming it's on the southeast corner. Hopefully some ground floor retail to align with the Alexan (?) that is between this hotel and the DART station.

Brettoj

Postby Brettoj » 19 Apr 2017 12:39

exelone31 wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:12 story 200 room hotel planned for the corner of US75 and PGBT Turnpike. I thought the hotel was going to be more internal to CityLine originally. I have not seen the brand mentioned yet.

Wow, nice! I wonder how it will connect to everything else, assuming it's on the southeast corner. Hopefully some ground floor retail to align with the Alexan (?) that is between this hotel and the DART station.

It was announced a while back. It is going to be a Drury Inn.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 20 Apr 2017 09:00

A 12 story Drury Inn? Is it going to be the tallest one...in the world?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Apr 2017 17:34

The_Overdog wrote:

No there is one in downtown San Antonio that is 24 floors.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Apr 2017 11:30

Tnexster wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:

No there is one in downtown San Antonio that is 24 floors.

I've stayed at that hotel a couple times and absolutely love it. Not sure if they still do it, but they used to offer a free booze coupon for happy hour, and they had a darn good brunch in the morning as well. Both free with stay.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Apr 2017 17:33

^They still do it and it really was a nice hotel. I loved the old lobby and how the hallways still maintained the look of the old office tower but gave way to really nice rooms.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 16 Mar 2018 17:26

Since Atlanta IIRC was one of two more State Farm mega-outposts this decade, thought I would post this link for other forumers to know some related development in the health insurance space in our ‘New South’ rival:

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/1/29/16 ... aking-date

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 19 Mar 2018 08:45

Site prep is in progress and a crane is up for the Drury Inn.

Addison

Postby Addison » 22 Nov 2020 19:31

The_Overdog wrote:

A 22-story Drury Plaza recently opened in Nashville.

vman

Postby vman » 23 Nov 2020 07:23

I work near CityLine (at least for two more weeks until we move to Legacy West in Plano). Before Covid, I would drive down there for lunch and linger around the development. After returning to the office late this summer, I would drive down there every now and then and it's simply a shame what the pandemic has done to this development. I think the eastern retail portion with the Whole Foods anchored shopping center is doing okay. But the big TOD office/retail development that was full of life and thriving with office workers is D-E-A-D. Most of the restaurants are closed, including the portion that had several fast food type eateries in a food court like setting. I would still occasionally go to Top Pot Donuts, but they closed last month. The office workers are mostly gone and on a beautiful fall day, the place looks almost deserted. There's still a few restaurants open, but it's pretty sad overall.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 23 Nov 2020 11:31

CityLine (west side) has always had a bit of an untapped potential feel to me, even before COVID. I can't really figure out why it isn't more successful, perhaps the fact that there's not really anything besides restaurants there. If they mixed in some other retail (aside from the nail salon), maybe people would hang around a bit more.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 25 Nov 2020 09:25

exelone31 wrote:CityLine (west side) has always had a bit of an untapped potential feel to me, even before COVID. I can't really figure out why it isn't more successful, perhaps the fact that there's not really anything besides restaurants there. If they mixed in some other retail (aside from the nail salon), maybe people would hang around a bit more.

Agreed, and it's sad, because it is pretty unique (in a way), and could be very cool. I feel that the average person just thinks it's State Farm office towers and that's it, especially considering the distance from 75/PGBT. I feel they need to develop some of the land closer to 75, throw in some pretty shiny lights or SOMETHING to get people to pay attention and go explore. I also agree that more than restaurants are needed.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Nov 2020 10:23

^ I visited the area one week day evening and while it has everything you would expect to make things a bigger success; a grocery store lots of walkable sidewalks, plenty of office workers, decent restaurants with customers, hotels and a nearby walking trail it still seems so lifeless. Like it seemed more like a rendering of modern mixed use project frozen in time rather than real life. It exhumed the common complaint about suburban single family home neighborhoods as lifeless without charm and factory produced without uniqueness or warmth. I mean I am sure on the tax roles everything is rosy for the city and I'm sure State Farm is happy and that Whole Foods is doing decently well but I don't know it seemed staged rather than living. Can I say Truman Show? Which was filmed in a rather important mixed use development project that has been accused of similar things in the past.

Maybe its one of those things where many of us wish for everything to be hopping with energy but sometimes these developments are sleepy but not a failure. They are equivalent to a quiet suburban neighborhood where people enjoy that they aren't living on top of a bar scene or nightlife that they really can eat, grocery shop, go to work if that's all they want to do. I don't expect every mixed use to be the West Village popping with life and busy city life 7 days a week.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Nov 2020 11:27

Needs more residential?

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 27 Nov 2020 17:23

cowboyeagle05 wrote:^ I visited the area one week day evening and while it has everything you would expect to make things a bigger success; a grocery store lots of walkable sidewalks, plenty of office workers, decent restaurants with customers, hotels and a nearby walking trail it still seems so lifeless. Like it seemed more like a rendering of modern mixed use project frozen in time rather than real life. It exhumed the common complaint about suburban single family home neighborhoods as lifeless without charm and factory produced without uniqueness or warmth. I mean I am sure on the tax roles everything is rosy for the city and I'm sure State Farm is happy and that Whole Foods is doing decently well but I don't know it seemed staged rather than living. Can I say Truman Show? Which was filmed in a rather important mixed use development project that has been accused of similar things in the past.

Maybe its one of those things where many of us wish for everything to be hopping with energy but sometimes these developments are sleepy but not a failure. They are equivalent to a quiet suburban neighborhood where people enjoy that they aren't living on top of a bar scene or nightlife that they really can eat, grocery shop, go to work if that's all they want to do. I don't expect every mixed use to be the West Village popping with life and busy city life 7 days a week.

It has all the right components and density to be more successful but it isn’t. They arranged it wrong altogether. It should be closer to Park Lane which also has Whole Foods and a dart station nearby. And yet we have this instead.
I am not sure if it was the architects or the NIMBYs since its been years since the early development notes. But for some reason Whole Foods is across the street, and the residential completely isolated.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Nov 2020 11:12

Welcome to the hybrid known as suburban disconnected sprawl disguised as walkable live work play. Lip service to the cause but is implemented in a way that is more carboard cut out rather then firmly understood urban fabric.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 28 Nov 2020 15:26

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Welcome to the hybrid known as suburban disconnected sprawl disguised as walkable live work play. Lip service to the cause but is implemented in a way that is more carboard cut out rather then firmly understood urban fabric.

This sums it up well. Every part on the checklist is included but the pieces don’t seem to add up to an organic neighborhood with a sense of place or cohesive purpose.

quixomniac wrote:It should be closer to Park Lane which also has Whole Foods and a dart station nearby.

Park Lane the shopping complex completely ignores Park Lane the DART station. There was no attempt at all to make the train be a convenient option to go there. CityLine at least somewhat tries to integrate its DART station into its streetscape and built environment. Neither one is transit-oriented development though, with their massive parking garages, but at least part of CityLine is transit-adjacent in a way Park Lane intentionally is not.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 28 Nov 2020 16:39

OrangeMike wrote:Park Lane the shopping complex completely ignores Park Lane the DART station. There was no attempt at all to make the train be a convenient option to go there. CityLine at least somewhat tries to integrate its DART station into its streetscape and built environment. Neither one is transit-oriented development though, with their massive parking garages, but at least part of CityLine is transit-adjacent in a way Park Lane intentionally is not.

Parklane is by no means the model TOD. its just the lowest bar I could reference.
It is the bare minimum that Cityline could have been.
As is, youd think cityline was built next to a strip mall with whole foods and never realize they were the same development. If Cityline replaced just one of their apt blocks with wholefoods. it would be loads better.

Id cut Park lane some slack because they arent completely adjacent to rail, rather across the street.
The only option park lane has is to make a pedestrian bridge IMO. which they still could do.
The only reason Cityline has any integration is because they could not ignore it. its right there!
That being said. Cityline is also undermined by the fact that they dont own both side of the rail.
I'm sure there was some parking requirement city regulations that seriously gutted Cityline.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 30 Nov 2020 10:41

If you go early in the morning the trails around there are jammed, so I think it's just a different crowd. Also I don't think there is a true night spot (no real bar, or club) for late-night action. The design is also kind of weird -just really a single street through the middle of the high-rise offices with no large courtyard for people to hang out in.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 30 Nov 2020 16:37

It's really tough to consider the Whole Foods strip section as even part of the "CityLine" TOD, since it is separated by a fairly large street in Plano Rd.

There's ton of residential in that immediate area, and seemingly more on the way all the time. I think if some of the restaurants/retail were a bit more diversified, it could maintain a crowd. They seem to have programming in that little part area pretty regularly, and there could certainly be COVID-related impact too.

I'm also guessing the LOOK cinema idea was scrapped? I think that was supposed to go behind the Whole Foods at one point, but I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 02 Dec 2020 10:20

The_Overdog wrote:If you go early in the morning the trails around there are jammed, so I think it's just a different crowd. Also I don't think there is a true night spot (no real bar, or club) for late-night action. The design is also kind of weird -just really a single street through the middle of the high-rise offices with no large courtyard for people to hang out in.

What do you mean? There's a huge courtyard in front of the Aloft!

Agree that there's not a nightlife spot. The only real bar is the one in the hotel, and it's tricky for a true bar to make that space work unless they had a restaurant set up at lunch (like Union Park did for a few years downtown)

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 02 Dec 2020 11:35

There's a small courtyard in front of the Aloft. It's way too small to kick a ball around, like a lawn section of KWP, and too small for a decent sized concert.

Addison

Postby Addison » 02 Dec 2020 20:42

exelone31 wrote:It's really tough to consider the Whole Foods strip section as even part of the "CityLine" TOD, since it is separated by a fairly large street in Plano Rd.

There's ton of residential in that immediate area, and seemingly more on the way all the time. I think if some of the restaurants/retail were a bit more diversified, it could maintain a crowd. They seem to have programming in that little part area pretty regularly, and there could certainly be COVID-related impact too.

I'm also guessing the LOOK cinema idea was scrapped? I think that was supposed to go behind the Whole Foods at one point, but I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

Given that LOOK was forced to permanently close their Addison location due to COVID, I would think any plans for a LOOK cinema in this project are definitely scrapped.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Dec 2020 07:02

Addison wrote:
exelone31 wrote:It's really tough to consider the Whole Foods strip section as even part of the "CityLine" TOD, since it is separated by a fairly large street in Plano Rd.

Given that LOOK was forced to permanently close their Addison location due to COVID, I would think any plans for a LOOK cinema in this project are definitely scrapped.

I wouldn't think any new/upcoming movie theater anywhere would open right now.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 05 Apr 2021 12:40

More homes are in the works for Richardson’s CityLine project
Roughly 5 dozen more urban-style homes headed for CityLine.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2021/04/05/more-homes-in-the-works-for-richardsons-cityline-project

Glad to see more residential going in here. Too bad walkability is still atrocious.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 10 May 2021 16:57

The final plot adjacent to the Galatyn Park DART station has been approved for a six story apartment complex.

Also nearby, I think the plot of land at 2520 N Central Expressway, the north side of N Glenville has a "for sale/build to suit" sign. Its currently occupied with a one story medical building. I wonder if it is speculative, or indicative of a sold property about to be re-developed?

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 11 May 2021 10:17

Hopefully there will be some form of retail, as this is facing the plaza directly connected to the DART station. With the theater right there, it's kind of surprising there aren't really any restaurants or bars within walking distance except for...one?

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 11 May 2021 12:46

Yeah, the only convenient retail is on the other side of Campbell Road, which is not an easy journey on foot. If I were the city, I'd focus on turning this area into a neighborhood with some retail and services in this building or the next, which could be stand-alone or built into something along Glenville Drive.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 26 May 2021 09:56

Yet another office building proposed (and waiting for tenant) in CityLine.

CommunityImpact - Office development The Exchange planned for CityLine in Richardson
https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort-worth/richardson/impacts/2021/05/24/office-development-the-exchange-planned-for-cityline-in-richardson/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 21 Sep 2021 17:48

More office towers for Cityline:

Three more towers in the works for Richardson’s $2 billion CityLine campus
Dallas-based architecture firm Corgan designed the CityLine towers, which can be connected with a sky bridge. The high-rises would have curved and patterned glass and metal exteriors with office space built on top of the parking.

The buildings would be constructed east of Plano Road along the south side of Bush Turnpike.

KDC announces plans to add 3 new office towers to Richardson's CityLine development
The buildings, called Five Cityline, Six Cityline and Seven Cityline, will include 18, 13 and 15 stories, respectively.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Sep 2021 10:55

Hmm well they aren't braking ground they are spending their new investment on readying projects so who ever wants them they will have locations in the city center, Uptown and all over the burbs. The included renderings look very speculative. KDC def is a monster of a company and if you want to move your HQ/Regional HQ etc they have a place for you just pick out a spot and KDC will jump into final production.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 22 Sep 2021 14:17

I'm assuming all of these will be built on the mostly empty plot to the east, but I wish one would go on the empty square currently being used as a dog park south of CityLine 1. And I wish Plano would rezone at least a strip to the north to connect CityLine to it's downtown. The area between the DART line and K ave would be plenty so they don't have to touch their industrial area.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 23 Sep 2021 15:58

Yeah, it would be awesome if they trimmed Ave K from Renner to 15th and added bike lanes going each way. Though, to me CityLine isn't really that pedestrian friendly outside the tiny park area by the Aloft, so I'm not sure how much back-and-forth connectivity that would result in.