ADUs/Granny Flats... Legal to build!?

ATX

ADUs/Granny Flats... Legal to build!?

Postby ATX » 14 Nov 2021 16:00

Hi All,
I’m active on SkyscraperPage.com as Austin has a large forum on there and just found out about this Forum. Glad it exists especially as Dallas is my second favorite Texas city! ;) My uncle owns a 1960’s home near Hillcrest and Royal and it sits on a large lot (over 14,000 sqft) but as I understand it he is not allowed to build an accessory dwelling unit. Can someone help me understand this? Seems like the best way for Dallas to allow some gentle thickening of its existing (and no longer affordable at least in this area) neighborhoods is to allow this gentle density to occur. If it’s correct that ADUs are not allowed is there momentum to correct this? Hopefully your city council is working on this! He could really benefit from the extra cash flow and is a born an raised Dallas guy now relying on social security (but I’m confident I could help him get an ADU built if legal to do so).
Thanks,
ATX

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: ADUs/Granny Flats... Legal to build!?

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Nov 2021 22:27

ADU are legal in Dallas.

Hannibal Lecter

Re: ADUs/Granny Flats... Legal to build!?

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 16 Nov 2021 11:43

The Dallas ordinance on ADUs is pretty complicated. A neighborhood has to opt-in to allow them, then you have to get a special permit.

Some background: https://candysdirt.com/2020/08/24/dalla ... questions/