Arts District: Master Plan

Tnexster

Arts District: Master Plan

Postby Tnexster » 04 Nov 2016 17:31

Sneak a peek at the new master plan hoping to bring life — and more art — to Dallas' Arts District

http://www.dallasnews.com/arts/arts/201 ... s-district

Krieger, principal in the architecture firm NBBJ, intends to remedy all that -- and then some -- with a new master plan for the Dallas Arts District, which will replace the 33-year-old Sasaki Plan that provided the initial framework for the 17 blocks between Uptown and downtown. The new plan will make its formal bow Monday afternoon at Dallas City Hall.

The plan, in the works for almost a year, imagines the Arts District as a vibrant, connected neighborhood filled with shops, restaurants, residences and, most of all, people who aren't simply headed to or from the Dallas Museum of Art or the Winspear Opera House or the other venues that make up the district.

"We have these world-class institutions providing a number of free and world-class programs in their institutions," said Lily Cabuta Weiss, the former artistic director at Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts who in April was named the Dallas Arts District's executive director.

willyk

Re: Arts District: Master Plan

Postby willyk » 11 Nov 2016 04:26

Copying these posts from the Flora and Olive thread so we can get a general discussion going about the Arts District.

10 Nov 2016 04:26

tamtagon wrote:
So, this the last developable Flora Address in the Arts District, right? The city performance hall has a pending whenever plan that could change, but with Hall Condos seemingly on tap, this will be the last of it. I wouldn't be at all disappointed to see the Belo addition replaced with a welcoming street presence - actually that would be great - but I wonder if the lawyers association would go for something like that....

I was wondering about the same thing, especially since the Arts District says they want more residential there. So where would it go?

The big opportunities would be the Two Arts site, across Ross at the Spire site and the two Hall sites on either side of Ross. Someone could offer to build out the remainder City Performance Hall and put residential on top. Maybe the church would let someone redevelop their annex if they got a school out of the deal. Not sure how you would motivate the Dallas Bar to let you renovate the Belo annex.

willyk

Postby willyk » 11 Nov 2016 04:33

Here is the link to Spire, which has shown no life whatsoever this cycle.

http://www.thespiredallas.com/

willyk

Postby willyk » 11 Nov 2016 04:42

Looking at the renderings from the NBBJ plan in the DMN article, notably absent is KWP's proposed flyover bridge on Pearl St.

The bridge is contrary to this proposal, which would make the Arts District flow into KWP and north and south on Pearl, and I hope the omission means the bridge won't happen.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Dec 2017 05:49

Tnexster wrote:Sneak a peek at the new master plan hoping to bring life — and more art — to Dallas' Arts District

http://www.dallasnews.com/arts/arts/201 ... s-district

...Among the master plan's key components: shrinking Pearl from six to four lanes as it heads south from Woodall Rodgers Freeway, renaming it the "Avenue to the Arts," extending its curbs into the intersection and adding public art along the route; remaking the sidewalks along Flora while planting better lights, hardier trees and a water feature; and making room for mixed-use developments that would bring life to street level.

The plan also envisions turning the Routh Street overpass into an actual gateway... expand the boundaries of the Arts District all the way to the Pearl/Arts District light-rail station.

...The Arts District hopes some of that — $18.9 million, for phase one — comes from the 2017 bond package.

So, the bond packaged passed, but did that include money for phase one of a new master plan for the Arts District?

Renaming streets is usually just silly to me, Pearl should be Pearl all the way, not "Avenue to the Arts" for part of the way (Avenue to the Arts?!?! gag me with a spoon).

Still not sure about making room for mixed use developments.

Whatever happened about finishing the City Performance Hall?
http://moody.dallasculture.org/
The Moody Performance Hall is a lyrical and elegant multi-use performing arts venue with a mission to provide an exceptional opportunity for local emerging and mid-sized arts organizations to express the voice of our community through the performing arts.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Dec 2017 05:53

This is old because City Council member Angela Hunt is quoted, but....

http://keranews.org/post/master-plan-da ... s-district

The Master Plan says the new, necessary PARKING needs to be underground. City Councilmember Angela Hunt says they have an ace-in-the-hole

Hunt: The DMA garage was planned so that it can double in size, double in size underground. So that is something that we really need to consider and look at.

I know the DMA got a redesign on the westside parking garage entrance, but did the garage double in size?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Dec 2017 08:27

How do you double in size an underground garage? Plus why is the first time we have heard this? Oh, that's right Klyde Warren claimed they needed more money to build a floating parking garage over the freeway.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

eburress

Postby eburress » 20 Dec 2017 10:01

Depending how foundations were laid, what the ground underneath a building is like, etc, it is possible to extend a structure downward, in this case potentially doubling the capacity of an underground parking structure. I hadn't heard anything about this though and it's certainly not trivial to do so.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 20 Dec 2017 11:15

I know the DMA got a redesign on the westside parking garage entrance, but did the garage double in size?

They may have also walled off portions of it, and could possibly restripe portions of it (to make the parking spots smaller) and decrease turning radii and alternate exits.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 20 Dec 2017 12:25

Wow, "Avenue to the Arts" is an awful name. I'm ok with it if it's an alternate name (ie - the Magnificent Mile aka Michigan Avenue in Chicago), but a complete rename is weak.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Dec 2017 14:02

That name was abandoned a while ago. Keep in mind the link Tamtagon provided is from before 2010. Before the Wyly and Winspear even opened.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 20 Dec 2017 15:52

cowboyeagle05 wrote:That name was abandoned a while ago. Keep in mind the link Tamtagon provided is from before 2010. Before the Wyly and Winspear even opened.

The reference to the "Avenue to the Arts" name was in the November 2016 DMN article originally linked by Tnexster.

FWIW, the June 2017 draft Master Plan still has multiple references to "Avenue to the Arts" although it speaks of "reinterpreting" and "transforming" Pearl Street into "Avenue to the Arts". It does not specifically say it is to be renamed.
http://dallascityhall.com/departments/pnv/Documents/170608_DRAFT_DAD%20Master%20Plan_v7.pdf

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Dec 2017 08:37

Tucy wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:That name was abandoned a while ago. Keep in mind the link Tamtagon provided is from before 2010. Before the Wyly and Winspear even opened.

The reference to the "Avenue to the Arts" name was in the November 2016 DMN article originally linked by Tnexster.

FWIW, the June 2017 draft Master Plan still has multiple references to "Avenue to the Arts" although it speaks of "reinterpreting" and "transforming" Pearl Street into "Avenue to the Arts". It does not specifically say it is to be renamed.
http://dallascityhall.com/departments/pnv/Documents/170608_DRAFT_DAD%20Master%20Plan_v7.pdf

Thank you for clarification Tucy! Avenue of the Arts has always seemed more of a city projection that of course has never taken root in the public or even Arts district officials. No one is saying meet me for lunch on the Avenue of Arts for a number reasons including a bulky name. To me, it reads more as a way to give a name to some design details that can be applied to public spaces along that designated route in city planning design guidelines. I like the name Flora as the central avenue in the Arts District so I hope that never gets wiped out.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 21 Dec 2017 08:56

Is the City Performance Hall on any sort of schedule for expansion within the next ten years? I'm kinda wondering if those blueprints will be modified to something different.

sterling

Postby sterling » 01 May 2018 21:08

tamtagon wrote:Is the City Performance Hall on any sort of schedule for expansion within the next ten years? I'm kinda wondering if those blueprints will be modified to something different.

I'd love to see more work on it, and maybe reconfigured for some more even smaller more affordable spaces. Theater Row in NYC has some spaces as small as 20-99 seats, which lend themselves to independents and smaller experimental works. And they've fostered many new shows that have gone on to fill larger theaters and become hits. There's no reason to ignore the smaller local companies in which originality flourishes. In my mind, those starving artists are more the true heartbeat of the creative community. even without red carpet and chandeliers.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 May 2018 21:27

sterling wrote:In my mind, those starving artists are more the true heartbeat of the creative community. even without red carpet and chandeliers.

word

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 02 May 2018 08:39

sterling wrote:
tamtagon wrote:Is the City Performance Hall on any sort of schedule for expansion within the next ten years? I'm kinda wondering if those blueprints will be modified to something different.

I'd love to see more work on it, and maybe reconfigured for some more even smaller more affordable spaces. Theater Row in NYC has some spaces as small as 20-99 seats, which lend themselves to independents and smaller experimental works.

I'm not sure if all the retail space is occupied, but would it make sense to try to convert one of the spots into one of these small theater concepts? That may be a completely idiotic idea from a business standpoint (I have no clue), but something that came to mind when thinking of smaller spaces.

sterling

Postby sterling » 02 May 2018 10:59

I love storefront theaters and unexpected bldgs turned into performance spaces. Unfortunately, the theaters seem to disappear as the real estate they occupy becomes popular. Higher rents are the ironic death knell for many companies who may have been partially responsible for bringing their locations into the limelight. The nice thing about "dedicated spaces" is that they're less likely to become offices or other businesses. As tough as theaters are to build, they're also difficult to turn into something else.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 May 2018 12:11

Maybe we'll have a new Master Plan for the Arts District that reaches into Old East Dallas toward Deep Ellum. The Latino Cultural Center is primed to expand and anchor further Arts District facilities; it's embarrassing that Dallas does not have a Museum of Latin America. The smaller city performance spaces could inch closer to the wilder part of town and have a nice coupling with live music, less formal city gallery spaces would fit well with the wilder part of town... maybe even a notion for the Dallas Contemporary Museum to open Phase Two on Good-Latimer somewhere.

sterling

Postby sterling » 02 May 2018 17:54

Love those ideas guys. As in..."Art isn't just for the Arts District anymore."

sterling

Postby sterling » 09 May 2018 00:22

"Midtown Arts Theater Center Houston" is an interesting take on building theaters without the usual smoke, mirrors and vast air-conditioned lobbies. An indoor/outdoor arrangement features several different sized spaces under a huge canopy that does double duty as informal gathering space before and after performances. Small foyers entered from underneath the canopy lead directly into the theaters, eliminating the need to heat and air condition a lobby a block long. I wish the City Performance Hall would take a serious look at fleshing out it's future plans similarly. It might get finished sooner. At the very least, the info could have a positive informational effect on planning future performance venues.

https://magazine.texasarchitects.org/20 ... r-houston/

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 17 Oct 2018 12:45

This ZIP code in Dallas ranks as Texas’ top spot for millennials
By John Egan, CultureMap Dallas, Oct 17, 2018, 9:07 am

The Dallas Arts District is a bona fide magnet for millennials. A new study from apartment search website RentCafé ranks the Arts District as the top ZIP code in Texas for the share of millennial residents.

U.S. Census Bureau data gathered by RentCafé indicates 65 percent of the residents in the Arts District’s 75201 ZIP code, or about 8,800 people, were millennials in 2016. That makes it the No. 1 millennial hot spot in Texas and the No. 8 millennial hot spot in the U.S.

Kyle Baugh, a Realtor with Briggs Freeman Sotheby’s International Realty, says the Arts District — a walkable area sandwiched between Uptown Dallas and downtown Dallas that offers a mix of apartments and condos — appeals to the live-work-play vibe coveted by many young Dallasites. The 2012 opening of Klyde Warren Park contributed to that vibe, he says.

“The Dallas Arts District offers millennials a diverse community of like-minded artists and artisans who embrace and even thrive in urban living,” says Kenneth Cox, broker-owner of DFW Urban Realty. “I would even go a step further and say the Dallas Arts District is not only one of the top ZIP codes in the country for millennials to live in, but also that Dallas is one of the top millennial cities to live in.”

The RentCafé study bears that out, as downtown Dallas’ 75202 ZIP code comes in at No. 15 on the list of U.S. strongholds for millennials, with a millennial share of 61 percent, or 1,400 residents.
Article: http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city-life/10-16-18-zip-code-dallas-ranks-top-millennials-75201/

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 17 Oct 2018 13:01

I live at the intersection of Ervay and Pacific, which is within 75201 but is definitely not within the Arts District.

The only residential that I can think of that is truly within the Arts District is very high dollar.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 17 Oct 2018 14:49

Ummmm 75201 encompasses far more than the Arts District, and most of the residential in this zip is outside of the Arts District (I'm also in 75201). 75201 is the entire eastern half of Downtown, southern part of Uptown (Lower McKinney), Harwood, and part of Victory Park. Those areas are chock full of millenials. Arts District, not so much. Something tells me "Kyle Baugh, a Realtor with Briggs Freeman Sotheby’s International Realty" is trying to sell some of those ultra expensive Arts District condos.

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 17 Oct 2018 19:19

Matt777 wrote:Ummmm 75201 encompasses far more than the Arts District, and most of the residential in this zip is outside of the Arts District (I'm also in 75201). 75201 is the entire eastern half of Downtown, southern part of Uptown (Lower McKinney), Harwood, and part of Victory Park. Those areas are chock full of millenials. Arts District, not so much. Something tells me "Kyle Baugh, a Realtor with Briggs Freeman Sotheby’s International Realty" is trying to sell some of those ultra expensive Arts District condos.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Of course the article would leave out the true geographical extent of 75201 in order to hype up the Arts District. As a Millennial who lives further up in Uptown, the only draw for me in that immediate area is Klyde Warren Park. I typically bypass the Arts District on my way down to Main St. There are nice qualities to the Arts District, but I completely disagree with the article that it's a destination for urban artists. Try Deep Ellum.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 Oct 2018 22:31

dukemeredith wrote:I live at the intersection of Ervay and Pacific, which is within 75201 but is definitely not within the Arts District.

The only residential that I can think of that is truly within the Arts District is very high dollar.

One arts apartments aren't high dollar.

muncien

Postby muncien » 22 May 2019 10:56

This probably isn't the right thread, but the City of Dallas agreed unanimously to sign over a 99 year lease to the Meyerson Symphony Center. I'll be happy to see this place getting back into the shape it deserves.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 May 2019 12:04

Yeah, that place needs a mountain of work done.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 13 Aug 2019 13:36

We walk through the entire downtown and urban area and the Arts District old cobblestone sidewalks and lighting and landscape is a real mess. Parts of the sidewalks in front of the Meyerson are unwalkable. Is there any timeline on revamping all of this with the plan??? Falling apart quickly!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Aug 2019 14:49

I think they don't want to do anything until the new Master Plan is completed and then funds will need to be identified to make recommended improvements along with design timelines and construction bids etc.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Jul 2022 10:52

What's going on with this master plan

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 10 Jul 2022 21:26

tamtagon wrote:What's going on with this master plan

Nothing. The City makes plans ... But they serve as "guiding" documents. Doesn't mean they actually will follow through.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 23 Aug 2022 07:45

I was down there last weekend and I have to say it is looking so bad now that it appears Dallas has abandoned this area. Sad to invest and build all of these great buildings and put our Arts all on one street but when the street looks bad it all looks bad.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Aug 2022 19:14

Cbdallas wrote:I was down there last weekend and I have to say it is looking so bad now that it appears Dallas has abandoned this area. Sad to invest and build all of these great buildings and put our Arts all on one street but when the street looks bad it all looks bad.

A lot of the street was torn up when these newer developments began. The developers did the shear minimum in fixing things. Luckily the city is applying asphalt to Downtown streets as we speak. Houston street was recently re-done. Idk when Ross will be fixed.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 24 Aug 2022 10:03

That's a shame. I really feel like they did such a great job with the pedestrian infrastructure, so it's a shame to see it all wasted and not being used.

I've always wondered if it made sense to try and bring some high-end shopping closer to this area instead (perhaps along Ross?)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Aug 2022 14:43

They havent done a good job with pedestrian infrastructure though. They gave it lip service in articles but rarely actually address pedestrians and connections between the Arts District and the surrounding area. The major Arts Venues are designed around valet parking for well-heeled attendees, not people walking from Uptown for an afternoon cocktail or live music on the patio. The Master Plan mentioned above will point out all the improvements needed cause Flora Street is a mish mash of sidewalks and designs from various decades that rarely actually encourage or promote discovery and access for more than a car-based visitor. Let's be realistic regular events in the Arts District Dallas is a car-based activity in its current setup and the plaza in front of the Winspear is a cool idea, bro but its a formal garden meant for walking through as soon as you are dropped off and back out swiftly when the event is over and your Uber pulls up to take you somewhere else. KWP is the only thing that saves the Arts DIstrict cause its an actual attraction sorely needed to bring day life.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 24 Aug 2022 16:54

That's fair. The things I like about the area are how big the sidewalks are, there's a decent amount of trees, and it feels like they do a good job of calming traffic in the area. It's definitely not connected to the surrounding area at all, so it feels more like a development like Legacy West which feels very pedestrian oriented on the main strip, but quickly falls apart as soon as you leave that immediate area.

Aside from some better connectivity to KWP, I'm not really sure what more I could ask for out of the area. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time down there to really notice all the negatives.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 24 Aug 2022 19:35

One way to view the Arts District in relation to just the venues is like an oversized outdoor showroom where the buildings are individual showpieces and the hallways (streets/sidewalks) are the inside-out back-of-the-house in-between each showpiece. Not meant to linger in the hallways much. But, not too terrible if you do. Just no water cooler or break room visible, those are behind doors hard to find.

Also, someone go have fun and count the number of trash cans in the Arts District.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Aug 2022 13:34

potatocoins wrote:That's fair. The things I like about the area are how big the sidewalks are, there's a decent amount of trees, and it feels like they do a good job of calming traffic in the area. It's definitely not connected to the surrounding area at all, so it feels more like a development like Legacy West which feels very pedestrian oriented on the main strip, but quickly falls apart as soon as you leave that immediate area.

Aside from some better connectivity to KWP, I'm not really sure what more I could ask for out of the area. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time down there to really notice all the negatives.

This is the internet if we arent complaining about the negatives why are we even here lol

The previous issues mentioned is how Pearl is a speedway that divides the district because it's designed to allow high-speed travel from Downtown to Uptown freeway access because that's all that has mattered in the past. I have crossed Pearl on foot, and the crosswalk is like walking onto a Nascar track there is no safety elements to it for encouraging crossing. It's one of those super wide roads without pedestrian refuges or traffic calming measures cause the city has prioritized rush hour over strolling. The sidewalks actually exist in the Arts District and are larger than let's say McKinney Ave but some of the '80s and 90's parts are really damaged due to the granite block style they went with and aren't always repaired properly which has caused some significant issues for street festival events. ADA compliance is all over the map, which is always a losing game in any city for that matter. The lights are also a mish-mash, and in areas like the ATT area are newer so they work more often, but near the museums, they are in need of repair, and they will likely update them to match ATT, so parts are easier to have at the ready. Also, the timings on all the crosswalks probably need a revisit. Crosswalks leading into the District from outside districts could use a revisit to help encourage smooth access. That could include artistic designs now that the city has allowed rainbow crosswalks on Cedar Springs and the artist-commissioned ones in the West Village. Also, revisiting permits for the area to see if the city needs to allow more uses or different operating hours for the small number of retail spaces the district contains. Do loading zones need to be addressed? Should lanes be taken away anywhere to add to public space needs? What needs to be done with on-street parking does the city need to remove any or change the hours of free vs fee. If the DMA is really planning on adding an addition, see if the city should be prepared for a significant access point change. Klyde Warren has made the museum shift a lot more programming towards the Woodall Rogers side, and they may further make changes there that the master plan could help address.