The Transition of Uptown

Tnexster

Re: The Transition of Uptown

Postby Tnexster » 18 Aug 2019 17:39

There still may be something that pops at the El Fenix site.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 19 Aug 2019 07:10

The summary also leaves out the potential residential tower on McKinney a the old "Revive" spot.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 19 Aug 2019 11:39

DPatel304 wrote:Thanks for sharing! Great summary of how much the area will change in the next couple of years.

My only complaint is that there isn't a single condo tower on that list. I really don't get it, what is it going to take for developers to build more condos (preferably ones that are not super high-end luxury) in Dallas?

Nah, Developers should just keep building super high-end condos and eventually the law of supply and demand will push the price of Blue Ciel-type units down to about $150k ;)

On a serious note, I think there's a bit of a chicken & egg problem with regard to condos in Dallas. Millennial renters (especially DINK couples in Uptown who are making a combined 6 figures) could afford to buy a condo in the $250k-ish price point, but because there's very little stock available (and typically with sky-high HOAs covering expensive amenities like valet parking and concierges), they continue renting or move out to the suburbs. As a result, developers say "there's no demand for mid-priced condos/conversions" and keep building rental multifamily.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Aug 2019 11:45

Tnexster wrote:There still may be something that pops at the El Fenix site.

Speaking of the El Fenix site.....

Is the historic El Fenix restaurant in Dallas closing? Owner says it's safe, for now

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/res ... -protected