2017 Bond Election

tanzoak

2017 Bond Election

Postby tanzoak » 08 Nov 2017 11:58

Since only 3.5% of Dallasites bothered to vote in the $1.05 billion bond election, maybe it's no surprise that there isn't a post on here about it. Still! It's a notable thing, particularly Prop A, which passed with around 80% of the vote.

Most excitingly, it's funded the Complete Streets project on Abrams/Columbia/Commerce, providing a legit corridor from Lakewood shopping center all the way to Downtown! Also, the McKinney and Cole two-way conversions.

The Asst City Manager in charge of implementation says everything will be completed within 5 years.

Tnexster

Re: 2017 Bond Election

Postby Tnexster » 12 Nov 2017 15:38

I hope they get started on the streets quick.

dallasite1

Postby dallasite1 » 26 Nov 2017 01:45

As along as they don't spend the money taking down the confederate monuments. The city blew a half a mil on the Lee Statue removal. When police and fire and streets need the money.
Scott Dorn
Preserving D/FW History one photo at a time

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Nov 2017 11:00

The complete street makeovers will be the most exciting thing for the city to come after the bond Vote. The parks too.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Nov 2017 11:21

I'm aware complete street makeovers is part of the deal, but unaware how the concept program will roll out. Have specific corridors already been identified? Does a hierarchy exist for corridor conversions, city clusters, urban boulevards, suburban thoroughfares? I guess, really, what's the plan? Does this presume work done/in progress in Deep Ellum is part of the program? How do bike/pedestrian trail connections direct the plan?

Are we expecting, for example, White Rock Lake neighborhoods to see the success of downtown area makeovers to then embrace a plan for Garland Road - Buckner Blvd - Mockingbird Lane - Greenville/Skillman/Abrams - Gaston?

So many opportunities to connect neighborhoods with each other.

Or, possibly, radiate from activity institutions like Fair Park, Turtle Creek...?

willyk

Postby willyk » 27 Nov 2017 03:50

Looks like the package also included continuing the Complete Streets work on Riverfront. Continental to UPRR is basically done.

Too bad this new section is all jails and bail bonds. I wish they had gone north on Riverfront to Oak Lawn instead. But they are anticipating that the Trinity Park will change the character of this part of Riverfront.

Street reconstruction of Riverfront from UPRR tracks to Cadiz Street. Will also include bike facilities. Match funding of $4,600,000 from Dallas County. 1, 2 ,6 $4,600,000

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Nov 2017 09:52

Last I checked Dallas County did the initial section from Continental to UPRR cause they already had the money available. The city of Dallas will do the section from Continental to Oak Lawn. The city and the county supposedly coordinated together on both parts so they would continue what the county started with the sidewalks, bike lane, street lights, and landscaping.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Nov 2017 10:19

I don't think the county is doing enough for the cities in the effort to build trails and complete streets....

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Nov 2017 15:33

willyk wrote:Too bad this new section is all jails and bail bonds. I wish they had gone north on Riverfront to Oak Lawn instead.

But isn't that the idea? To gentrify the area, meaning the bail bonds won't be sticking around for much longer?

willyk

Postby willyk » 27 Nov 2017 21:58

DPatel304 wrote:
willyk wrote:Too bad this new section is all jails and bail bonds. I wish they had gone north on Riverfront to Oak Lawn instead.

But isn't that the idea? To gentrify the area, meaning the bail bonds won't be sticking around for much longer?

That is the hope. It’s just that north on Riverfront would yield redevelopment much more quickly. There are plenty of decent buildings ready to be repurposed and the neighborhood already has momentum. A nice street redo could turn this neighborhood in a couple of years.

South has no buildings that can be used and the jail is a blight. But the City envisions the park here, not north, and envisions that this part of Riverfront will somehow bridge the park and downtown. It’s a worthy goal and if we see this part of Riverfront revedelop in a decade that would be success.

willyk

Postby willyk » 27 Nov 2017 22:42

Until then, we have this animation to hold us over. These guys make the redo look so good I hardly notice passing by the jail.

https://youtu.be/Zes_xhgtZLg

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Nov 2017 23:09

willyk wrote:That is the hope. It’s just that north on Riverfront would yield redevelopment much more quickly. There are plenty of decent buildings ready to be repurposed and the neighborhood already has momentum. A nice street redo could turn this neighborhood in a couple of years.

South has no buildings that can be used and the jail is a blight. But the City envisions the park here, not north, and envisions that this part of Riverfront will somehow bridge the park and downtown. It’s a worthy goal and if we see this part of Riverfront revedelop in a decade that would be success.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah, with that in mind, I would have preferred the norther stretch to be finished first, see that area evolve quicker, and then have that development naturally spread towards the southern portion.

soco

Postby soco » 28 Nov 2017 11:59

tamtagon wrote:I don't think the county is doing enough for the cities in the effort to build trails and complete streets....

The County is actually a great partner, having allocated millions of dollars on these types of projects. They have provided funding for:

The Northaven Trail (including the bridge over US75)
SOPAC Trail
Kleberg Trail
Chalk Hill Trail
Cedar Crest Trail
Coombs Creek Trail
Trinity Forest Spine Trail
Denton Drive Complete Street
Mountain Creek Complete Street.

These are off the top of my head, and only those in the City of Dallas.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Nov 2017 12:36

^I believe you, soco, totally, but unless the county is taking care of the whole shebang, I'll generally think the county could be doing more. And I do get that the county's current contribution may be exactly as is expected, proper, whatever.... but the cities could use some help right now and the county (I think) has an exceptionally low debt/resident balance ---makes me wonder if, you know like, the county is being all stingy with stuff while the city struggles through a double mortgage.

Let's redefine The Trinity River Park & Great Trinity River Forest as a county initiative rather than city and get that thing ready for people to enjoy. Something.

Probably, though, this sort of thinking might blur some municipal boundaries with very good reasons for being, but I cannot help but think some of the quality of life projects in the city's goal-book will better serve the whole region if they're completed sooner, and the county is in a position to help.

soco

Postby soco » 28 Nov 2017 13:22

Ok, I gotcha. I can't say I disagree on some of those points.