Northpark Center

Proquest20

Re: Northpark Center

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Jul 2023 11:04

Addison wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:
tamtagon wrote:Typical mall stores are fading, it's good for North Park to have the ones that are still around.

Other malls like Town East, Parks at Arlington or Stonebriar are doing well for what they are.

It's pretty interesting though that the only real upscale mall in all of Texas is in Houston's Galleria. It would be so nice if Dallas had a mall of that scale, but it doesn't seem like NorthPark will be expanding to meet that standard any time soon. I don't mention Highland Park Village because it's essentially what River Oaks District is to the Houston Galleria, although it's the stronger luxury shopping destination in our situation.

Maybe Dallas could sustain a second Dior. They have two in Houston and two in Atlanta, it would be cool if NorthPark got a location as well. Same with Louboutin, considering they operate a boutique in Nordstrom and had a very successful pop up inside of Neiman Marcus.

I just wonder why they chose Claires and not something with broader appeal like Banter.

NorthPark is a family-owned + operated mall, and they're locally based.

So part of the reason they're likely not expanding is politics (Neiman Marcus wants to keep out their competitors and artificially restricting prime space to accommodate them helps), and also because they don't have the cash flows to fund construction unlike the big REITs.

But most importantly, I think the family has expressed they prefer that NorthPark keeps its more "intimate" feel.

As far as Banter, funny enough, they just opened a store in the Galleria.

Yup, and it looks nicer than any Claires I’ve seen. It also has a broader range of appeal, whereas Claires really only has a child/teen demographic.

I think having other competitors fail in Dallas (Saks Fifth Avenue, Barneys New York) would also make it harder for them to expand if they were to add a fifth anchor.

It’ll just be interesting to see what happens to NorthPark if they never add a mixed-use component to the property. Even Willow Bend is planning on adding hotels and office space.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 04 Jul 2023 21:23

Ray Ban has reopened.

Other renovations yet to re-open:
J. Crew (1st floor)
Shinola (1st floor)
Tiffany & Co. (1st floor)

Stores building out in new locations:
T Mobile (2nd floor)
Lenscrafters (2nd floor)
Buckle (2nd floor)
Nike (1st and 2nd floors)
Victoria's Secret (1st floor)
Robert Graham (1st floor)
Gucci (1st floor)

New stores yet to open:
Jil Sander (1st floor)
Prada (1st floor)

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 05 Jul 2023 22:48

R1070 wrote:Ray Ban has reopened.

Other renovations yet to re-open:
J. Crew (1st floor)
Shinola (1st floor)
Tiffany & Co. (1st floor)

Stores building out in new locations:
T Mobile (2nd floor)
Lenscrafters (2nd floor)
Buckle (2nd floor)
Nike (1st and 2nd floors)
Victoria's Secret (1st floor)
Robert Graham (1st floor)
Gucci (1st floor)

New stores yet to open:
Jil Sander (1st floor)
Prada (1st floor)

The fact that there's a T Mobile literally at Park Lane and yet NorthPark's is moving within the mall is crazy. Is there a difference between the two?

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 12 Jul 2023 09:53

Wallboard for the new Claire’s went up this morning. It’s located 2 doors down from Doc Martens.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 12 Jul 2023 23:45

acclar11 wrote:Wallboard for the new Claire’s went up this morning. It’s located 2 doors down from Doc Martens.

Can't wait 5 years from now when all the luxury brands relocate to Highland Park Village or just leave the market entirely and we essentially are left with another Galleria Dallas. We've already seen it happen with Birmin, Valentino, Cartier, Bvlgari, etc; just goes to show we really can't have nice things around here, huh...

I'm honestly surprised some brands (Maria Tash, Dolce Gabbana, Fabiana Fillipi) are even still open here.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 13 Jul 2023 00:18

Maybe we can get a Charlotte Russe in the remainder of the Nike space?

luxeshop97

Postby luxeshop97 » 13 Jul 2023 02:46

Proquest20 wrote:
acclar11 wrote:Wallboard for the new Claire’s went up this morning. It’s located 2 doors down from Doc Martens.

Can't wait 5 years from now when all the luxury brands relocate to Highland Park Village or just leave the market entirely and we essentially are left with another Galleria Dallas. We've already seen it happen with Birmin, Valentino, Cartier, Bvlgari, etc; just goes to show we really can't have nice things around here, huh...

I'm honestly surprised some brands (Maria Tash, Dolce Gabbana, Fabiana Fillipi) are even still open here.

Northpark is clearly maintaining its luxury status with several exclusive boutiques opening in the market. Prada, Marni, Jil Sander…just to name a few. Not to mention Northpark poached Saint Laurent, Balenciaga, and St. John from Highland Park. Houston Galleria is THE destination in Houston with River Oaks being a modest second. DFW has several luxury destinations much like LA or NYC.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Jul 2023 09:16

Speaking of the Houston Galleria, it has a good reputation and has a mix of lower level and high-end stores. I don't see a problem with NorthPark having some variety as long as prime spots aren't being taken by lower level brands.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 13 Jul 2023 09:43

Proquest20 wrote:

Would you please stop bemoaning the fact that NP has a few mid tier and entry tier stores? What a thing to agonize about. It's a super regional mall with another strong luxury center to compete with. And if the mall ever expanded, I would expect that to stay the same or increase. Like has been said before, large luxury malls like South Coast Plaza, Houston Galleria, Aventura Mall, Scottsdale Fashion Square all have a mix. That doesn't lower their status or perception. This is not SIMS build your own mall. Geez! :?

vman

Postby vman » 13 Jul 2023 11:26

NdoorTX wrote:
Would you please stop bemoaning the fact that NP has a few mid tier and entry tier stores? What a thing to agonize about. It's a super regional mall with another strong luxury center to compete with. And if the mall ever expanded, I would expect that to stay the same or increase. Like has been said before, large luxury malls like South Coast Plaza, Houston Galleria, Aventura Mall, Scottsdale Fashion Square all have a mix. That doesn't lower their status or perception. This is not SIMS build your own mall. Geez! :?

You do realize what forum you're on? I've never seen a city forum where members openly hope for local projects to fail. :lol:

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 13 Jul 2023 12:55

Proquest20 wrote:

Chill out with all the negative input. There's literally zero reason to flip out about Claire's opening at the mall. If Neiman's was becoming a JCPenney, okay, that's a real issue, but there's nothing wrong with Claire's opening.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 13 Jul 2023 13:21

Hard to imagine the luxury brands leaving NP mall. Seems like the one advantage NorthPark has is it is surrounded by wealthier areas.

HP Village is obviously nice too, but do people want outdoor shopping in Texas? I'm not much of a shopper, so I'd certainly pick and outdoor/walkable area over a mall any day, but I recognize that the heat is miserable and people shopping at these stores might prefer an indoor mall setting for their shopping?

I guess we'll see. If NP does slowly decline, I don't think I'd mind it either, as long as the space gets repurposed into something better.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 13 Jul 2023 19:28

potatocoins wrote:Hard to imagine the luxury brands leaving NP mall. Seems like the one advantage NorthPark has is it is surrounded by wealthier areas.

HP Village is obviously nice too, but do people want outdoor shopping in Texas? I'm not much of a shopper, so I'd certainly pick and outdoor/walkable area over a mall any day, but I recognize that the heat is miserable and people shopping at these stores might prefer an indoor mall setting for their shopping?

I guess we'll see. If NP does slowly decline, I don't think I'd mind it either, as long as the space gets repurposed into something better.

It’s interesting to think about the future of the property considering how other ones (Galleria, Willow Bend, Clearfork) all are planning on redeveloping and yet NorthPark hasn’t.

And being surrounded by wealthy neighbourhoods, as long as there’s more luxury tenants in demand than HPV can hold all at once, there will probably be some at NorthPark at this point considering the other places they’d likely locate at (except for Knox Street) aren’t really as accessible to them.

I think the general decline in retail means that a lot of brands we don’t have yet aren’t actively looking to expand, and stores like Claires and other low end brands are easier to get to fill space since they have stores pretty much everywhere. I think it shows that NorthPark is dealing with some sort of struggle though, if they kicked out low end brands in order to be a "higher end mall" only to be inviting them back. Then they failed at whatever they were trying to accomplish. Again, it could be a side effect of the general retail struggle, but I've noticed even the Galleria has pulled some good upper mid-range brands that could've been at NorthPark.
Last edited by Proquest20 on 19 Jul 2023 01:08, edited 2 times in total.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 13 Jul 2023 21:32

Guess it seems like Claires is basically trying to do a campaign to be a brand that “can sell anywhere and everywhere”, basically from Walmart to other high end locations. I’m really intrigued if anything as to what they have planned for here. Still think if I were them I’d rather be next to the new American Girl store than a Macy’s that’ll carry their products anyway.

Looks like they’ve recently opened at Bellevue Square which is a similar mall to NorthPark.
https://www.glossy.co/fashion/claires-o ... hion-week/

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 20 Jul 2023 12:42

Temp Lululemon is now open in UGG space.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 20 Jul 2023 20:35

Lonchamp has filed permits for a renovations to be completed in the Fall.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 20 Jul 2023 22:20

Jasimm wrote:Lonchamp has filed permits for a renovations to be completed in the Fall.

I’m glad they’re doing well enough to renovate their store.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 20 Jul 2023 22:38

It interests me to see the futures of both centres as the Galleria redevelops. I feel like the Galleria and NorthPark are back to being major competitors again, although I do also see that the Galleria is still seen as the “tourist” or “business” mall of Dallas which is why they can have stores of broader appeal. Hopefully NorthPark will come up with plans for a third expansion within the near future so it can keep up. Obviously I’m not saying that the mall with two empty anchor stores is doing any better in general, but it does make me wonder if there’s anything in store we may not know yet. NorthPark tends to be quite secretive about such things.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 21 Jul 2023 14:07

[url][/url]
Proquest20 wrote:It interests me to see the futures of both centres as the Galleria redevelops. I feel like the Galleria and NorthPark are back to being major competitors again, although I do also see that the Galleria is still seen as the “tourist” or “business” mall of Dallas which is why they can have stores of broader appeal. Hopefully NorthPark will come up with plans for a third expansion within the near future so it can keep up. Obviously I’m not saying that the mall with two empty anchor stores is doing any better in general, but it does make me wonder if there’s anything in store we may not know yet. NorthPark tends to be quite secretive about such things.

I'm curious as to what you are seeing that suggests NorthPark and Galleria Dallas are back to being major competitors again.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 21 Jul 2023 14:25

Tucy wrote:[url][/url]
Proquest20 wrote:It interests me to see the futures of both centres as the Galleria redevelops. I feel like the Galleria and NorthPark are back to being major competitors again, although I do also see that the Galleria is still seen as the “tourist” or “business” mall of Dallas which is why they can have stores of broader appeal. Hopefully NorthPark will come up with plans for a third expansion within the near future so it can keep up. Obviously I’m not saying that the mall with two empty anchor stores is doing any better in general, but it does make me wonder if there’s anything in store we may not know yet. NorthPark tends to be quite secretive about such things.

I'm curious as to what you are seeing that suggests NorthPark and Galleria Dallas are back to being major competitors again.

In terms of "mid-range" stores, the Galleria has had some pretty good catches that would've been good catches for NorthPark as well, like Bearfruit, Intimissimi, and Cotopaxi. Meanwhile, NorthPark seems like it's trying to become less high end, similarly to the Galleria, although it still has designer stores due to Highland Park Village being full and there not really being another option (aside from maybe Knox). I don't really expect the Galleria to ever overtake NorthPark soon, considering it's dealing with empty space between the 3rd floor of Nordstrom, Belk, and American Girl, but they seem to be competing for similar leases in terms of non-designer stores. Maybe in the future we'll see more "low end retail" move into NorthPark - some of these spaces have been empty for quite a while and I'm thinking they're not being selective anymore so that they can fill them. And that would make them compete with the Galleria for the same customers.

hjkll

Postby hjkll » 21 Jul 2023 20:50

From an article today in WWD regarding Givenchy’s new LA store:

In November, Givenchy opened in Philadelphia and Atlanta; Short Hills, New Jersey and Dallas are on the horizon, along with the permanent store in Rodeo Drive, and a relocation of the Madison Avenue store in New York, he said, not ruling out a runway show Stateside.

Curious if they’ll end up at Northpark or HP Village. Galleria is not a competitor to these malls.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 22 Jul 2023 00:02

I assumed Givenchy would open here after they announced the Atlanta store.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 22 Jul 2023 00:57

hjkll wrote:From an article today in WWD regarding Givenchy’s new LA store:

In November, Givenchy opened in Philadelphia and Atlanta; Short Hills, New Jersey and Dallas are on the horizon, along with the permanent store in Rodeo Drive, and a relocation of the Madison Avenue store in New York, he said, not ruling out a runway show Stateside.

Curious if they’ll end up at Northpark or HP Village. Galleria is not a competitor to these malls.

100% Highland Park Village. Designers tend to come to NorthPark if there’s no room for them there.

Galleria is 100% a competitor to NorthPark when it comes to the mid range market - both malls have a Claire’s.

Addison

Postby Addison » 22 Jul 2023 07:11

Galleria hasn't been a competitor since Saks close, as luxury boutique (with some exceptions) like to cluster around luxury department stores (Neimans, Saks, Bloomingdales, etc.).

The luxury retailers that are still at the Galleria are legacy tenants that predate Saks" departure.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 22 Jul 2023 09:28

R1070 wrote:I assumed Givenchy would open here after they announced the Atlanta store.

I agree I always thought the same.

With Givenchy owner LVMH having their brands split between
Northpark (Louis Vuitton, Rimowa, Marc Jacobs, Tiffany & Co., Hublot, Tag Heuer, Sephora) and
HP Village (Dior, Fendi, Celine, Loewe, Loro Piana) it will be interesting to see where the decide to open.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 22 Jul 2023 11:20

Addison wrote:

Galleria hasn't been a competitor since Saks close, as luxury boutique (with some exceptions) like to cluster around luxury department stores (Neimans, Saks, Bloomingdales, etc.).

The luxury retailers that are still at the Galleria are legacy tenants that predate Saks" departure.

The ones there really can have stores anywhere and do well. Louis Vuitton and Gucci are two of the most basic designer brands that everyone knows of.
I think in terms of tourism, the malls are definitely competitors as there is clear competition between stores that are popular with tourists (Mango, Intimissimi, Aritzia).
Anyway, if Givenchy were to come to Dallas it’s almost 100% coming to Highland Park Village, unless they don’t have the space there to accommodate it. NorthPark may have some high end designers, but it’s still a mall and NOT one on the scale of upscale malls like South Coast Plaza, the Houston Galleria, or Bal Harbour Shops.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 22 Jul 2023 11:28

Jasimm wrote:
R1070 wrote:I assumed Givenchy would open here after they announced the Atlanta store.

I agree I always thought the same.

With Givenchy owner LVMH having their brands split between
Northpark (Louis Vuitton, Rimowa, Marc Jacobs, Tiffany & Co., Hublot, Tag Heuer, Sephora) and
HP Village (Dior, Fendi, Celine, Loewe, Loro Piana) it will be interesting to see where the decide to open.

The only interesting or ultra-high end store at NorthPark on this list is Hublot. All the others are upper-mid range or have several locations throughout the metroplex.

Likely LVMH would like to keep their “luxury tenants” in one place. Considering the majority of their luxury tenants are at Highland Park Village, with only Hublot and the two “entry-level luxury” stores at NorthPark, I’m certain that it will open at Highland Park.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 29 Jul 2023 04:51

Byredo is relocating to NorthCourt where Swatch used to be.

I really wish they’d move L’Occitane to that side of the mall too. But I guess we’ll have to see what takes that space in the Neiman Marcus wing. Tory Burch and Michael Kors would be nice on the Nordstrom / Macy’s side of the mall as well.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 Jul 2023 14:06

That Byredo store always had a temporary look to it.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 29 Jul 2023 14:59

R1070 wrote:That Byredo store always had a temporary look to it.

A lot of NorthPark stores kind of do I feel. I really hope NorthPark can still attract nicer tenants and bring back BVLGARI and other designers (quite a few of them left within recent years so I'm still concerned, even as Prada, Marni, and Margiela opened new locations).

I do also wish some retailers would go all out with their store designs like they do at other locations, but I get that it's Dallas and it's also one of the oldest malls. But still, compare the designs of NorthPark's Louis Vuitton store or St. John store to their locations in the Houston Galleria (although the outdoor entrance to the Louis Vuitton is still stunning here). I really am excited to see what Gucci does with their new location, as well as Prada.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 30 Jul 2023 18:33

They said Nike would be open by now. I wonder what’s causing the delay.

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 01 Aug 2023 20:45

Proquest20 wrote:They said Nike would be open by now. I wonder what’s causing the delay.

The second floor wallboard went down today, and the storefront is visible, but it's not open.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 01 Aug 2023 21:00

I’d say this week will be the opening.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 01 Aug 2023 21:39

R1070 wrote:I’d say this week will be the opening.

Nevermind. Per an Instagram post that tagged NorthPark they are opening this Saturday.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Aug 2023 03:26

The outdoor portion of the new Gucci store is visible from CenterPark and it looks great! I’m so glad to have another retailer take advantage of having an outdoor entrance just like Louis Vuitton did. I only wish Tiffany would’ve done the same.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 02 Aug 2023 10:01

Proquest20 wrote:The outdoor portion of the new Gucci store is visible from CenterPark and it looks great! I’m so glad to have another retailer take advantage of having an outdoor entrance just like Louis Vuitton did. I only wish Tiffany would’ve done the same.

I'm still excited for the Tiffany renovation though. It was much needed.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Aug 2023 10:48

R1070 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:The outdoor portion of the new Gucci store is visible from CenterPark and it looks great! I’m so glad to have another retailer take advantage of having an outdoor entrance just like Louis Vuitton did. I only wish Tiffany would’ve done the same.

I'm still excited for the Tiffany renovation though. It was much needed.

Very much, as they’ve held on to their outdated storefront for long after the Galleria one had been renovated. I guess I just like it when retailers make the most of the spaces they’re in, especially at a place like NorthPark which is dated in design itself.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Aug 2023 16:45

Looks like Maggiano’s is under renovations.

Still need NorthPark to fill the other four vacant restaurant spaces…

Honestly with an Eataly at NorthPark already why doesn’t Maggiano’s move somewhere else to allow for hotel, residential or office space. NorthPark needs it more than anything right now. I think they need to move Maggianos to elsewhere in Dallas (or the old Theodore space that has been vacant for years), close Corner Bakery or move it to the old La Duni space, and turn those two spaces into a high rise hotel building.
Last edited by Proquest20 on 02 Aug 2023 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 02 Aug 2023 20:34

Proquest20 wrote:
R1070 wrote:I’d say this week will be the opening.

Nevermind. Per an Instagram post that tagged NorthPark they are opening this Saturday.

Looks like their grand opening is scheduled for tomorrow. They were hosting a private "members" event this evening.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 03 Aug 2023 18:39

I do like what they did to Nike here. It actually looks really nice and I’m glad to have H&M gone. Hopefully they'll reopen at Park Lane or Downtown.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 04 Aug 2023 17:04

First look at the Nike Rise two-level store now open at NorthPark Center in Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... rk-center/

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 04 Aug 2023 20:30

Hannibal Lecter wrote:First look at the Nike Rise two-level store now open at NorthPark Center in Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... rk-center/

It's nice that Nike got a better store, but where are the other non-luxury new to market brands? I'm excited for Gucci to open in their new space and for Prada to open. Hopefully this will be a turning point for NorthPark, considering Nike was a store that people exclusively came to NorthPark for, and they'll rethink how they use their leasable space in the center.

luxeshop97

Postby luxeshop97 » 04 Aug 2023 20:34

Ann Taylor is returning to Northpark on the 2nd floor across from Eataly. Unless it wasn’t doing well, I think H&M should come back and fill up all that space by Claire’s. Still hoping for Uniqlo.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 04 Aug 2023 21:18

luxeshop97 wrote:Ann Taylor is returning to Northpark on the 2nd floor across from Eataly. Unless it wasn’t doing well, I think H&M should come back and fill up all that space by Claire’s. Still hoping for Uniqlo.

Ann Taylor isn't a bad store, they probably did well here and that space is definitely better. They probably weren't meant to be gone for long, but their old space is still intact, just being used as a pop-up. Which makes it a bit strange considering I'd expect a mall like NorthPark that's desperate to lease space wouldn't kick out a store if they had no further plans for the space. But maybe the struggles are a little more recent than that or the plans fell through (like what happened with Clergerie or Nars). Still, Ann Taylor's return fills a void in Dallas, where people would have to go to Plano (Preston Park Village) to shop at Ann Taylor, or visit one of their outlet shops in Allen or Grapevine.

H&M probably will be back if recent leasing trends mean anything. NorthPark is realizing it's not sustainable as an upscale mall and is bringing back the very tenants it kicked out. Lots of unleased space needs to be filled and they're desperate to fill it. However, we still have no mixed-used components to the property, which probably explains why it struggles. Adding hotel or residential would make it have the same appeal to tourists that the Galleria has. I do, however, hope H&M never comes back to NorthPark and opens a new store at Park Lane (where it has competitors Old Navy and Forever 21) or Mockingbird Station.

As for Uniqlo - they were supposed to open in Houston's Galleria years ago, yet that never ended up happening. So I doubt that they'll ever enter the Dallas market, although if they did they're most likely opening at the Dallas Galleria, due to it being much stronger with tourists who'd expect to see them there. Just like how Mango and Zara opened there first. Not to mention, other major fast fashion competitors are all at the Galleria (H&M, Old Navy, Gap, Forever 21).

Maybe they should throw a damn Rainforest Cafe into the old Theodore space, considering they're desperate to fill space and that's one that's been vacant for a very long time.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 05 Aug 2023 01:45

I’m not sure that NorthPark is that desperate, but some of the returning stores are welcome returns.upstairs will be a great space for Ann Taylor.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 05 Aug 2023 02:30

R1070 wrote:I’m not sure that NorthPark is that desperate, but some of the returning stores are welcome returns.upstairs will be a great space for Ann Taylor.

One store has quite an awful reputation (ear infections, asbestos) and just doesn't seem like a good use of space when their products are sold at Walmarts and CVS. Why would anyone go to a mall for that when their local CVS will suffice? Can't we get something that's both mid-range AND new-to-market like what the Galleria's been adding? Needing to go that low definitely makes me think they're in a hurry to lease the existing vacancies before more appear, as it's probably one of the easiest stores to get to lease with them - although it leaves me with a feeling that NorthPark's attempt to upgrade its image failed. There's a lot of other existing stores relocating, and once they do, there's going to be even more vacancies, such as Victoria's Secret downsizing.

Ann Taylor is a return that I actually think works out really well. It's "upscale" yet not upscale enough to be next to Allsaints and Coach. So it works out well being right above them. And as I mentioned, with the closure of their Galleria store it actually fills a hole within the Dallas market that required a drive to Plano, Southlake or Fort Worth. As for Abercrombie... it leaves me with a mixed feeling - obviously the brand has had a resurgence and a rebranding that makes it more mature and comparable with some other popular retailers, but I do wish this storefront had more character to it (like the one they have at Memorial City) so it doesn't feel temporary or like a popup. Either way, it's not a bad brand to have back considering it's way different from when it left and I could even see myself buying stuff there - the storefront isn't that big of a deal even if it does leave a lot to be desired. If NorthPark wants to continue it's streak of comebacks, Bvlgari, Cartier, and Giorgio Armani are welcome to return :)

Is this level of shuffling normal at healthier malls though? Maybe a lot of these stores leased around the same time and are now renewing their leases, but I'd think there'd be a little bit more balance. But hey, "coming soon" wallboards throughout the mall for already-existing stores does seem to still fill the illusion that the mall is thriving and that newer things are coming - better than a blank wallboard or a visible empty storefront.

Addison

Postby Addison » 05 Aug 2023 07:17

Proquest20 wrote:
R1070 wrote:I’m not sure that NorthPark is that desperate, but some of the returning stores are welcome returns.upstairs will be a great space for Ann Taylor.

One store has quite an awful reputation (ear infections, asbestos) and just doesn't seem like a good use of space when their products are sold at Walmarts and CVS. Why would anyone go to a mall for that when their local CVS will suffice? Can't we get something that's both mid-range AND new-to-market like what the Galleria's been adding? Needing to go that low definitely makes me think they're in a hurry to lease the existing vacancies before more appear, as it's probably one of the easiest stores to get to lease with them - although it leaves me with a feeling that NorthPark's attempt to upgrade its image failed. There's a lot of other existing stores relocating, and once they do, there's going to be even more vacancies, such as Victoria's Secret downsizing.

Ann Taylor is a return that I actually think works out really well. It's "upscale" yet not upscale enough to be next to Allsaints and Coach. So it works out well being right above them. And as I mentioned, with the closure of their Galleria store it actually fills a hole within the Dallas market that required a drive to Plano, Southlake or Fort Worth. As for Abercrombie... it leaves me with a mixed feeling - obviously the brand has had a resurgence and a rebranding that makes it more mature and comparable with some other popular retailers, but I do wish this storefront had more character to it (like the one they have at Memorial City) so it doesn't feel temporary or like a popup. Either way, it's not a bad brand to have back considering it's way different from when it left and I could even see myself buying stuff there - the storefront isn't that big of a deal even if it does leave a lot to be desired. If NorthPark wants to continue it's streak of comebacks, Bvlgari, Cartier, and Giorgio Armani are welcome to return :)

Is this level of shuffling normal at healthier malls though? Maybe a lot of these stores leased around the same time and are now renewing their leases, but I'd think there'd be a little bit more balance. But hey, "coming soon" wallboards throughout the mall for already-existing stores does seem to still fill the illusion that the mall is thriving and that newer things are coming - better than a blank wallboard or a visible empty storefront.

Just FYI, Cartier has a boutique at HPV.

And to answer your question about shuffling at other malls across the country, no. But we've already established that Dallas is a quirky market.

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 05 Aug 2023 10:31

luxeshop97 wrote:Ann Taylor is returning to Northpark on the 2nd floor across from Eataly. Unless it wasn’t doing well, I think H&M should come back and fill up all that space by Claire’s. Still hoping for Uniqlo.

Ann Taylor is has relocated at a ton of malls in the past year. The Woodlands, Mall At Millenia, and Somerset all saw their Ann Taylor stores relocate to bigger spaces.

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 05 Aug 2023 10:49

Proquest20 wrote:

Chill out with all these claims that adding Claire's is a "nail in the coffin" for NorthPark. You think 6 year olds are going to Maria Tash for piercings? It fills a void that NorthPark was missing. Maybe Banter couldn't afford rent, so management went with Claire's. The constant "NorthPark is in a downfall" claims are getting annoying, and I'm sure most people on this page are sick of you mentioning it every three posts.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 05 Aug 2023 12:08

It’s not a nail in the coffin, it’s just a weird use of space and definitely a sign that NorthPark’s feeling the same struggles as other retail centers in the area, or in the country for that matter. It’s a pretty widespread thing and even if they’re doing the best they can, they can’t help that the retail industry is struggling and therefore they have vacancies to fill, and are maybe anticipating more.

In other news… Longchamp has a temporary space in the old Morphe, and it looks super weird considering half of the space is wallboarded off due to being too large :lol: either way I’m glad they’re updating