Fair Park

DPatel304

Re: Fair Park

Postby DPatel304 » 06 Feb 2020 12:48

Wow, Spectra seems to be doing a pretty good job so far. I'm also surprised to see BTS performing there, as they could have likely gone to AT&T and sold out that arena.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 06 Feb 2020 13:06

I've always preferred open air stadium concerts.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Feb 2020 14:15

I just hope that Spectra is able to provide a fan experience that makes it a worthy competitor. I know the Cotton Bowl isn't AT&T stadium but if fans feel like they are having fun it doesn't matter if Jerry Jones's private Art collection is on the wall.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Feb 2020 10:52

They need to take the Winter Classic model of providing a genuine fairground experience and apply it to all their events that attract 75,000+ people, especially Pride. Maybe next year Spectra can attract a big enough concert to perform the Saturday before the parade and keep the Midway open all day Saturday and Sunday. Fair Park becomes "Pride Park" for one weekend. That's the only way I can see a path to attracting half a million visitors to this event.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 22 Jun 2020 22:44

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 23 Jun 2020 09:44

There's the Fair Park thread! I was trying to find it yesterday as I saw this news, but couldn't track it down.

Anywho, these seem like some really great incremental changes to Fair Park. I especially like the Music Green park between the Music Hall and the African American Museum.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jun 2020 12:03

I really do hope it makes sense to build in all those buildings they want to recreate keeping in mind those projects are lumped in Phase 4 aka 10 yrs. I think for me I would like to see the tree planting projects and the Cotton Bowl plaza improvements. The community park is, of course, a no brainer on being first not to mention a requirement of the deal.

For the hotel, I hope they are able to get a decent flag when that project possibly comes. The last thing we need is a budget flag hotel onsite for the next 50 yrs. I doubt we will get an Omni hotel but a decent hotel with meeting space seems like it will be a good match once they can have booking partnerships for the esplanade buildings for larger events. Fair Park is the original Convention Center + Arts District rolled into one. Add some Klyde Warren park back into the thing and you do have a very attractive space for lots of kinds of events.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 07 Jul 2020 16:55

Congratulations guys. we did it! :?

The State Fair of Texas is officially canceled

The State Fair of Texas, which has been canceled only eight times during its 134 years, and even then primarily because of two world wars, will not take place during 2020, fair officials announced Tuesday.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-enterta ... -canceled/

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 08 Jul 2020 08:42

The longer this goes on, I wonder what the long-term impact will be on something like the State Fair. I am sure it will likely bounce back to something similar to years past, but I wonder if masks become a regular fixture at the fair for years to come.

Plus, you KNOW there are going to be vendors offering air-brushed masks at the fair the next time it gets up and running.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Jul 2020 16:47

'As a family, we are in a little bit of grieving': Vendors react to cancellation of the State Fair

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... chers.html

Amber Fletcher with Fletcher Corny Dogs said her family is in “a little bit of grieving."

“We sell about 500,000 to 600,000 corny dogs in 24 days. And each corny dog is about six dollars. So you can say the gross sales is typically close to 3.8 to 4 million dollars,” Fletcher said. “We would have to do an event every single day for a year and a half to make what we made at the State Fair.”

Brent Reaves from Smoky Johns BBQ said it will be a major hit for them too.

“The fair for us is over 30 percent of our revenue for the year. So, it’s a big blow for us,” Reaves said. “However, you do have to take into consideration just the safety and health and well-being of the fair goers.”

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 10 Jul 2020 11:38

quixomniac wrote:Congratulations guys. we did it! :?

The State Fair of Texas is officially canceled

The State Fair of Texas, which has been canceled only eight times during its 134 years, and even then primarily because of two world wars, will not take place during 2020, fair officials announced Tuesday.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-enterta ... -canceled/

I'm just waiting on the inevitable DMag editorial that simultaneously claims that this is the death knell for the SFOT (as there is no way to possibly let that many people gather in close proximity without thousands of COVID deaths) and that Fair Park must be torn down and replaced with high-density, car-free housing (built by their developer friends and with a sweetheart deal on the land, natch) that packs tens of thousands of people into close proximity in a cookie-cutter urbanist "utopia."

Remember, NYC's COVID situation was several orders of magnitude worse in every way (cases/hospitalizations/deaths) per capita under lockdown than Texas' has been with bars/restaurants reopened. These people love to insist that Texas should have never re-opened anything (because of blind partisan loyalties), but don't realize that under an extended pandemic lockdown, people overwhelmingly would rather live in a house in the suburbs with a car than an urban apartment/condo and be reliant on public transit. If anything, the DMag crowd should be the ones clamoring for re-opening everything, because the longer this goes on, the more people will flee the urban core (especially now that their employers are realizing that they don't need to have everyone in the office).

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Jul 2020 11:53

TNWE wrote:Remember, NYC's COVID situation was several orders of magnitude worse in every way (cases/hospitalizations/deaths) per capita under lockdown than Texas' has been with bars/restaurants reopened. These people love to insist that Texas should have never re-opened anything (because of blind partisan loyalties), but don't realize that under an extended pandemic lockdown, people overwhelmingly would rather live in a house in the suburbs with a car than an urban apartment/condo and be reliant on public transit. If anything, the DMag crowd should be the ones clamoring for re-opening everything, because the longer this goes on, the more people will flee the urban core (especially now that their employers are realizing that they don't need to have everyone in the office).

The media seems to certainly be picking on Texas and Florida these days. I have family in England and apparently Texas is even making the news over there, which is absurd to me.

Yes things are getting worse here, but we have been open for a few months now and our deaths per capita is still relatively low. People should be cautious and taking the necessary precautions, but the media is certainly exaggerating the situation over here, IMO.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 10 Jul 2020 12:44

DPatel304 wrote:
The media seems to certainly be picking on Texas and Florida these days. I have family in England and apparently Texas is even making the news over there, which is absurd to me.

Yes things are getting worse here, but we have been open for a few months now and our deaths per capita is still relatively low. People should be cautious and taking the necessary precautions, but the media is certainly exaggerating the situation over here, IMO.

Right - Texas certainly seeing an uptick in cases, but things are also much closer to "normal" as far as places being open. It has become clear that the "just stay home" guidance from early on just isn't sustainable for months and months - a certain county judge blew up all his credibility insisting that the people going to parks and jogging outside back in March were selfish and that Dallas was 2 weeks from dead bodies piling up in the street. There's simply no going back to the "essential businesses only" approach after all that, plus his tacit support of mass gatherings for protests that he supports.

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 11 Jul 2020 06:40

Ever think the numbers were low because things were shut down? No one wants everything shut down including the judge, but we were reckless in reopening in every way and the lack of consistency from the top down has us where we are. That's not partisan. There's no reason a slow opening with full government support couldn't have happen. The fact is we chose otherwise. We deserve all the exaggeration we get because none of us knows were this ends. Tired of hearing these, not so bad, wasn't so bad. I've lost two now and know several severely sick, but we don't even have the courtesy of wear a damn mask properly at work to help each other because "Its too hot". But keep ranting. Keep complaining about the media. Ignore that before there was one protest the curve was already making its turn up. Yeah, that's just do that. I'm starting to grow angry and tired of the childish nature of our handling of this. WE did this. WE will not get out of this until we handle it. From reading the comments I can see we aint handling shit.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Jul 2020 07:58

^word

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 12 Jul 2020 10:03

I think "WE" can argue about the pandemic response in the COVID-19 thread. But in regards to Fair Park, there will be a lot of financial incentive to continue hosting the fair and will definitely return once things calm down.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jul 2020 10:59

Hopefully, the city can fast-track some of the park improvements since the pandemic is gifting the park with time to work. Get in there and double as much of the work as possible. I would love to see a dramatic expansion of working greenhouses with Fair Park approved art deco architecture - vocational programs grow all the seasonal/ornamental plants used by the Park in buildings that expand the array of Art Deco structures, and provide 'relative' climate control activities in the heat of the summer and cool of winter.

This is also a good time to put a philanthropic bug in the ear of Dallas' billionaires to establish an endowment for the park, making sure the ups and downs of municipal financing do not allow the park to fall into disrepair ever again.

electricron

Postby electricron » 14 Jul 2020 07:24

tamtagon wrote:Hopefully, the city can fast-track some of the park improvements since the pandemic is gifting the park with time to work. Get in there and double as much of the work as possible. I would love to see a dramatic expansion of working greenhouses with Fair Park approved art deco architecture - vocational programs grow all the seasonal/ornamental plants used by the Park in buildings that expand the array of Art Deco structures, and provide 'relative' climate control activities in the heat of the summer and cool of winter.

This is also a good time to put a philanthropic bug in the ear of Dallas' billionaires to establish an endowment for the park, making sure the ups and downs of municipal financing do not allow the park to fall into disrepair ever again.

Many Dallas based businesses already grant Fair Park with cash or work product. Whereas I agree with you I would love to see the city take advantage of the one year lull with construction projects, I also realize that it takes more than days, weeks, and months to plan and finance them. It is also used more than once a year, there are activities daily in Fair Park. If your project is not shovel ready, I doubt it can be done in the present lull.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 13 Aug 2020 13:18

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 13 Aug 2020 13:55

That's a bummer. I have no idea how this works from a business standpoint, but I wonder if that means another group can just come in and purchase the existing aquarium and continue operations. I suppose the tough part is going to be trying to keep those animals cared for (with zero revenue) until COVID finally subsides.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Aug 2020 15:06

I suspect they are all being transferred to either the Dallas Zoo where possible and other organizations that can properly care for them. When zoos close or certain exhibits close there are usually a number of groups who want the animals or fish. The trick is finding the most humane and safe places for them. Tiger King? ;)

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 28 Sep 2020 16:18

Went to the drive thru State Fair this past weekend, and it was not too shabby! For $99, you're able to get quite a bit of food and drink, as well as a digital photo with Big Tex.

The piece that is relevant to the forum though, IMO, is that the Hall of State looks INCREDIBLE. There is still a bit of restoration work to go, but it looks brand new. Immaculate. I didn't get any photos since I was driving through, but it's something else.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 29 Sep 2020 11:18

Same here no photos since I was driving but wow the outside looked amazing everyone in our car commented on it. Very excited to see this one when the clean up is complete.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 30 Sep 2020 17:04

Photos of the Hall of State restoration look amazing, from the exterior to the tiny interior details.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/14-millio ... y-complete

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 3.07.03 PM.png

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_skFLPHB94/

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 3.07.54 PM.png

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_QvvZTn0Rd/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 28 Oct 2020 14:14

"The design for the 277-acre park, a national historic landmark, features a 14-acre park modeled after Uptown’s Klyde Warren Park"

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2020/10 ... fair-park/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 30 Oct 2020 06:49

The Dallas Historical Society posted a video to their Facebook page showing the restoration work being done to the Tejas Warrior statue in the Hall of State entry. New layers of gold leaf make the Warrior shine like he hasn't in a while.

https://www.facebook.com/DallasHistoric ... 4/?app=fbl

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 05 Feb 2021 12:23

"At Dallas’s Hall of State, a Return to Majesty"
-https://www.metropolismag.com/architecture/cultural-architecture/dallas-hall-of-state-restoration/pic/106491/

Restoration finished up last month. The pictures here are incredible looking, and I had no idea they were adding a wheelchair ramp. That's great.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Feb 2021 15:41

THRILLHO wrote:"At Dallas’s Hall of State, a Return to Majesty"
-https://www.metropolismag.com/architecture/cultural-architecture/dallas-hall-of-state-restoration/pic/106491/

Restoration finished up last month. The pictures here are incredible looking, and I had no idea they were adding a wheelchair ramp. That's great.

Thanks, some of those pictures are stunning!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Feb 2021 20:26

Looks amazing

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Feb 2021 17:24

It reminds you why the money they spent on the Hall of State vs the rest of the buildings was worth it. Cleaned, repaired and restored to former glory to match the majesty of the States of Texas History.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 11 Feb 2021 09:20

I remember seeing the Hall of State during the Drive-Thru State Fair this past year. It was surreal how great it looks. Hopefully once things open back up, there will be more of a push to utilize the interior for exhibitions, events, etc. I have never actually been inside of it.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Feb 2021 10:13

The Main hall has always been used for weddings, EDM DJ events, corporate meetings. At least we have the GB Dealey Library-Special Collections located there. Hope that now that the facility is leaky they can secure a even more prominent collection but right now the main hall is their money maker.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Feb 2021 12:30

Has a decision been made what to do with the other buildings on the esplanade?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 25 Aug 2021 13:44

So now that Fair Park has been used as the massive vaccination center and is being turned over into this years State Fair do we think with the rising cases that will change? I am trying to steer clear of this being a pollical thread but would the county end up with any ability to shut down the State Fair or will he have to suffice with a mask mandate in buildings mildly enforced by the State Fair.

I can imagine the horror of people arguing with State Fair staff in the Auto show about wearing a mask but unlike the airlines the people around would have even more mob mentality about pushing back on a rule on public land managed by private organization. The legalities to cover who has authority get me lost real quick here honestly.

Not to mention how many people touch those cars on any given day. The people working at the State Fair don't get paid enough to argue with someone who refuses to accommodate a simple task.

Personally I would attend as someone who has had my vaccines and has proof and I would wear the mask but if someone doesn't wear the mask I would simply attempt to avoid interaction with them. I would happily show my vaccine card on entrance but I can not imagine how a event that targets such a wide demographic would be able to make anyone happy with any rules made for this years event.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 25 Aug 2021 16:35

I feel like the crowd for the State Fair will kind of self-select and figure out what is most comfortable for them.

The Fair won't require masks, so that will automatically keep a certain amount of people from attending.

Those that do attend, there will likely be a mixed bag of masks/no masks. I think if there are people who are uncomfortable with things being too lax, they'll probably just leave or stick to outdoor/spaced areas.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Aug 2021 10:49

exelone31 wrote:I feel like the crowd for the State Fair will kind of self-select and figure out what is most comfortable for them.

The Fair won't require masks, so that will automatically keep a certain amount of people from attending.

Those that do attend, there will likely be a mixed bag of masks/no masks. I think if there are people who are uncomfortable with things being too lax, they'll probably just leave or stick to outdoor/spaced areas.

Lord I hope its that simple. I wonder if the State Fair can even stay upright if it went another year closed. Depending on who you talked to that would be a blessing or a downfall for the future of Fair Park let alone thousands of people who pay their year long bills with the once a year profits and I mean the people who work part time as a second job.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 18 Sep 2021 06:58

Work to Turn Concrete at Fair Park Into a Community Park Is on Schedule

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... -schedule/

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 09 Sep 2022 16:49

"Look: Cotton Bowl, Fair Park improvements wanted in Nov. 8 election"
- https://prestonhollow.advocatemag.com/2022/09/07/cotton-bowl-fair-park-renderings/
Fair Park First and architecture firm Overland Partners released these artist renderings of the plans, which would renovate the Automobile Building, Centennial Hall, the Fair Park Band Shell, the Music Hall at Fair Park, the stadium and Fair Park Coliseum.

The band shell is certainly an eye-catcher, and the cotton bowl concourse looks great.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 12 Sep 2022 16:06

^ The scam begins.

80% of the tax money will go to the white elephant convention center, but all you'll ever hear about between now and the vote will be Fair Park.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Sep 2022 13:32

Well, there is more details on the Fair Park projects at this time anyway. The Dallas Convention Center project is in the design phase. Those renderings released before were CONCEPTS by the consultants. The city approved a design phase which, I am sure to your point, won't be finished till after the election.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 14 Sep 2022 14:04

This is all about the Convention Center. It has nothing to do with Fair Park.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Sep 2022 14:49

I assume you mean the Fair Park 300 million investment is just a cover for the bigger Convention Center project? Yes, but I support the reinvestment of Fair Park. I understand tying them together is a way to float a more extensive project, but it certainly helps sway my vote. I disagree with the convention center project, but we will see when the vote happens and what I actually vote for or against. Lord knows the renderings won't be in the voting booth. And not everyone is as aware of even local TV let alone city documents on both the Convention Center and Fair Park. We will be lucky if any voters have any awareness of either project. THey will see a number and decide if they are aginst big civic projects or not.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 14 Sep 2022 16:35

^ This will be the only vote on the projects that goes before the public. If this passes then the city has cart blanche to do whatever they want, including taking money that supposedly is going to fair park and redirecting to the convention center (or other projects). This has happened multiple times before with bond projects.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Sep 2022 16:50

Duely noted that the city has decades of history of underfunding Fair Park when they come up with an excuse as to why they have to.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 14 Sep 2022 20:03

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:"Look: Cotton Bowl, Fair Park improvements wanted in Nov. 8 election"
- https://prestonhollow.advocatemag.com/2022/09/07/cotton-bowl-fair-park-renderings/
Fair Park First and architecture firm Overland Partners released these artist renderings of the plans, which would renovate the Automobile Building, Centennial Hall, the Fair Park Band Shell, the Music Hall at Fair Park, the stadium and Fair Park Coliseum.

The band shell is certainly an eye-catcher, and the cotton bowl concourse looks great.

Definitely an eye catcher. Hopefully they make those seats removable. I always thought it would make a great general admission concert venue for summer shows specially ones that take advantage of those lights
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Sep 2022 10:00

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ This will be the only vote on the projects that goes before the public. If this passes then the city has cart blanche to do whatever they want, including taking money that supposedly is going to fair park and redirecting to the convention center (or other projects). This has happened multiple times before with bond projects.

I could believe that. The renderings don't look like all that to me, more like some paint and lipstick. There is nothing in there that looks like major makover. Park space is nice but what is the big ticket Fair Park item in this package? I have no doubt that convention center will require additional funds, good thing they'll have all this extra unspent Fair Park money to do just that.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 15 Sep 2022 13:11

Tnexster wrote:I could believe that. The renderings don't look like all that to me, more like some paint and lipstick. There is nothing in there that looks like major makover. Park space is nice but what is the big ticket Fair Park item in this package? I have no doubt that convention center will require additional funds, good thing they'll have all this extra unspent Fair Park money to do just that.

The major makeover is the needed restoration to the original structures, similar to what the Hall of State recently underwent. That was 15 million for one building and here we're talking six buildings including a stadium. 300 million doesn't sound too far off for the restoration work and additional construction.

casperitl

Postby casperitl » 15 Sep 2022 15:02

^ which renovation was that? The one before the ice storm or the one after the ice storm that flooded the whole place out? Incompetence runs rampant there.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 15 Sep 2022 15:23

casperitl wrote:^ which renovation was that? The one before the ice storm or the one after the ice storm that flooded the whole place out? Incompetence runs rampant there.

15million renovation completed before the ice storm. (14.4 to be exact, a figure published before the storm happened so any later repairs are not included in that).
I gotta be honest I'm not entirely sure what point you're making regarding incompetence with regard to the storm and renovation...