Fair Park

Hannibal Lecter

Re: Fair Park

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 15 Sep 2022 21:07

From DMN today.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... rts-arena/

There’s no guarantee that Fair Park will get the full 20% of funding over 30 years if the proposition passes in November. While the Dallas City Council in April approved allowing the Cotton Bowl, Coliseum, Music Hall, the Band Shell, Automobile Building and Centennial Building to be eligible for money from the tax increase, the resolution is nonbinding.

The resolution has a clause that orders the city, pending voter approval, to “use good faith efforts to spend 20% of the revenues derived from the new 2% hotel occupancy tax for the Fair Park facilities listed in the proposition.”

Johnson said Thursday that he wasn’t sure how much the current council could bind the actions of future councils, but said the intent of the government body would be that all the money be used.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 16 Sep 2022 06:11

For goodness sakes. Bind the money to Fair Park.

Now, how about finding someone to get Liga MX to expand and someone to put a team at The Cotton Bowl.
There's already enough teams along the Rio Grande to show support for expansion into El Paso, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Corpus Christi, McAllen, Brownsville and every other population center in Texas. Maybe the big cities could actually get into the major league!

https://maphub.net/rhysapgruffydd/mexican-clubs

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 16 Sep 2022 13:29

tamtagon wrote:For goodness sakes. Bind the money to Fair Park.

Not legally possible. The a council cannot limit the actions of a future council.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Feb 2023 10:12

AECOM tapped as program manager for Fair Park improvements

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ments.html

Infrastructure consulting firm AECOM has been tapped to lead major capital improvements for Dallas' Fair Park – the site of the State Fair of Texas, the Cotton Bowl Stadium and African American Museum of Dallas – as program manager.

Fair Park First selected AECOM (NYSE: ACM) to oversee the delivery the Community Park Complex, an expansive 18-acre greenspace that also includes a 1,650-space parking structure. The firm will also serve as a partner on future projects with managing design, construction, permitting, and closeout, among other services as part of the Fair Park Masterplan Update.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 01 May 2023 16:54

Developer proposes new apartments near Dallas’ Fair Park
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... fair-park/

A developer that’s pushed the envelope of Deep Ellum with construction closer to Fair Park is seeking zoning for another project.

Larkspur Capital is finishing work on its first rental community on Commerce Street near Interstate 30. The eight-story Willow apartment building has almost 200 rental units on the eastern edge of Deep Ellum.

It also has another apartment building called the Juniper set for a site just a block away at 4003 Commerce St. near I-30.

Now the developer is seeking city approvals for an apartment project that would be just two blocks from the entrance to Fair Park and DART’s commuter rail station.

The development is planned for a vacant block near the corner of Haskell and Parry avenues.

The rental project could be between five and eight stories tall depending on how many below market rate units are included.

Larkspur has previously said it hopes to build around 240 units on the site, which is an area surrounded by older commercial properties. Dallas architect Corgan is designing the project.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Jul 2023 09:48

Dallas’ Fair Park neighborhood set to see another new apartment project
The five-story, $60 million development on Ash Lane at Second Avenue will include 293 units.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... t-project/

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 28 Jul 2023 15:02

Tnexster, where did you find that site plan?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Jul 2023 15:28

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Tnexster, where did you find that site plan?

It was in the DMN article.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 28 Jul 2023 18:36

^ Thanks. I don't see it there, probably because I have Javascript disabled.

I'm trying to figure out what they're planning to do with First Avenue. It looks from that drawing like they're going to redirect all traffic on 1st Avenue onto westbound I-30, but that makes no sense. More likely they're just relocating the entrance to the ramp, but even that's weird because why would they want to give up some of their land for no real reason.

It's just strange.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 28 Jul 2023 19:33

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ Thanks. I don't see it there, probably because I have Javascript disabled.

I'm trying to figure out what they're planning to do with First Avenue. It looks from that drawing like they're going to redirect all traffic on 1st Avenue onto westbound I-30, but that makes no sense. More likely they're just relocating the entrance to the ramp, but even that's weird because why would they want to give up some of their land for no real reason.

It's just strange.

That was what I zeroed in on from the site plan. Why was First Avenue curving over to take out a corner of this lot? The portion that's shown is just a tiny piece of what is planned. The curve is apparently so the street can cross over the new (planned) depressed I-30 at a better angle of some sort. I cropped that part of one of the schematics and attached it here. I can't really tell which ramps will still be there. I know the entire redesigned stretch of 30 will have far fewer since there will be continuous frontage roads.

First Avenue and new I-30.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 29 Jul 2023 04:00

^ Thanks for posting that. I think I can make an educated guess why First Avenue is getting the weird offset. The I-30 plan shows an onramp from First to eastbound 30. Keep in mind that the new main lanes will be below grade, ala NCX. They need to shift First Avenue a little to the west so there's room to get the ramp from grade level at First to below Exposition. Like I said, it's weird but now it makes sense.

Thanks again!

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Aug 2023 20:24

The highway really needs to be designed to accommodate efficient movement of large event traffic.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 30 Aug 2023 20:31

^ IMHO, the redesign does the opposite, which is what the neighborhood desires.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 Oct 2023 12:01

With planned $140 million Cotton Bowl renovation, is Texas-OU contract extension looming?
Saturday’s high-stakes Red River Rivalry matchup in Fair Park, coupled with major stadium upgrades, could kindle the deal’s extension beyond 2025.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas ... n-looming/

In a special election last November, Dallas voters passed a referendum that enabled the city to enact 1997′s Brimer Bill and increase local occupancy tax by 2 percentage points, creating funding to expand Dallas’ Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center and renovate six buildings in Fair Park.

Including the park’s centerpiece: the Cotton Bowl.

“I think we have a chance to be one of the premier outdoor venues in the country; maybe in the world,” said Bryan Trubey, Project Principal and executive vice president of Overland Partners Architecture and Urban Design, which is spearheading the Cotton Bowl’s renovation.

Trubey said he believes that once renovation is completed, the Cotton Bowl will be in the category of Pasadena, California’s 101-year-old Rose Bowl Stadium and the century-old Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

If anyone is qualified to make such an analogy it’s Trubey, one of the world’s foremost designers of sports and entertainment facilities.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 06 Nov 2023 11:19

Dropping in some TDLR info regarding the Cotton Bowl:

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2024004726

Code: Select all

Project Name:
Cotton Bowl 2024 Renovation
Project Number:
TABS2024004726
Facility Name:
Cotton Bowl Stadium
Location Address:
3750 The Midway
Dallas, TX 75215
Location County:
Dallas
Start Date:
1/3/2024
Completion Date:
8/15/2024
Estimated Cost:
$56,000,000
Type of Work:
Additions to Existing Building
Type of Funds:
This project involves public funds, public land, or is a Federally funded roadway project.
Scope of Work:
Two suites of level 7 of the West Tower Press box, new mezzanine level and relocation of the Writing press, foundation for expanded main and upper concourses and vertical transportation knuckles (future phase) and street level restrooms.

Design Firm Name:
Overland Partners Architects

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Nov 2023 12:13

Plan moves forward for apartments near entrance to Dallas’ Fair Park
The Haskell Avenue rental community is one of several planned near Deep Ellum.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... fair-park/

Developers are moving ahead with plans to build an apartment community near the entrance to Dallas’ Fair Park.

Builder Larkspur Capital has been working since last year on the project on South Haskell Avenue near Parry Avenue. The planned development is one of several new rental communities in the works between Fair Park and Deep Ellum.