Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Tnexster

Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Postby Tnexster » 24 Oct 2016 15:12

Global engineering firm to relocate headquarters from California to Dallas

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/busi ... own-dallas

International engineering and design firm Jacobs Engineering Group is moving its headquarters from California to downtown Dallas.

The deal — which has been in the works for several months — will bring about 100 new jobs in addition to the more than 300 people Jacobs already has in downtown Dallas.

"As we continue to focus on transforming our business in terms of efficiency and high-growth in the engineering and construction industry, our new headquarter location ensures access to top talent and positions Jacobs for convenient access to our clients," Jacobs Chairman and CEO Steven Demetriou said in statement. "In Dallas, we will also benefit from a business-friendly economic and cultural environment.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... ornia.html

Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. (NYSE: JEC) has been in the works to move its global headquarters from Pasadena, California to downtown Dallas for months, and now it's official.

The engineering firm plans to expand its footprint in Dallas' central business district to accommodate the relocation. In all, North Texas will employ more than 700 Jacobs workers in Dallas and Fort Worth.

Tnexster

Re: Corporate Relocation/Expansions

Postby Tnexster » 24 Oct 2016 15:43

Global pharmaceutical firm to relocate, build new regional hub in Carrollton

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... d-new.html

One of the largest global pharmaceutical firms — AmerisourceBergen Specialty Group — plans to build a new regional campus in Carrollton, which will make the company one of the largest employers in the city.

Upon completion, the new 300,000-square-foot campus at the Offices of Austin Ranch will serve as AmerisourceBergen's new regional headquarters. The firm will relocate from Hall Park in Frisco.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 24 Oct 2016 15:54

Beat me to it! I came here to post the news about the Jacobs Engineer Group. Glad to see Downtown getting some corporate love for a change.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Oct 2016 16:15

HAHA, is a really good month for downtown, first the AT&T expansion and now this. The positive trendline for downtown continues. Quality jobs too.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Oct 2016 11:33

Goldman Sachs & Co. is in talks with building owners to relocate hundreds of workers from an office in Irving to downtown, real estate brokers who are tracking the deal say.

The New York-based investment giant is planning to rent more than 100,000 square feet of prime downtown office space in what could be one of the largest recent deals in the area.

Goldman Sachs has zeroed in on the 50-story Trammell Crow Center on Ross Avenue as a location for the office.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/busi ... ds-workers

If this happens, I could confidently say that Downtown has turned the corner (in terms of jobs). I'd say they've already turned the corner when it comes to residential and restaurants, but, up until recently, it seemed like a lot of jobs were still going to the suburbs and, if not the suburbs, then they would go to Uptown/VP.

muncien

Postby muncien » 25 Oct 2016 13:40

Sorry to see such a big tenant leave Irving, but glad to see them go to the CBD. This guarantees that the mixed use parking garage gets built which will be a big deal for that side of town. And that makes it all well worth it.
Las Colinas has been doing well lately, and that is a quality building that they shouldn't have much problem getting filled when the time comes.

DPatel304 wrote:
Goldman Sachs & Co. is in talks with building owners to relocate hundreds of workers from an office in Irving to downtown, real estate brokers who are tracking the deal say.

The New York-based investment giant is planning to rent more than 100,000 square feet of prime downtown office space in what could be one of the largest recent deals in the area.

Goldman Sachs has zeroed in on the 50-story Trammell Crow Center on Ross Avenue as a location for the office.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/busi ... ds-workers

If this happens, I could confidently say that Downtown has turned the corner (in terms of jobs). I'd say they've already turned the corner when it comes to residential and restaurants, but, up until recently, it seemed like a lot of jobs were still going to the suburbs and, if not the suburbs, then they would go to Uptown/VP.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Oct 2016 14:37

Yes, definitely bad news for Irving, but, at this point, I'm way more concerned with the job market in Downtown versus Irving. And, like you said, I'm confident Irving will easily be able to fill that office with someone else. The DFW suburbs are pretty desirable at the moment, it's our urban core that is lagging behind, but the last week or so has certainly been good for Dallas.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 25 Oct 2016 16:13

I'm pretty shocked by the terms of that lease.

Financial giant Goldman Sachs is apparently in final lease negotiations for upwards of 150,000 square feet of office space within Trammell Crow Center.

[...]the New York-based firm could move its North Texas back office operations and 1,200 employees from its longtime location in Irving to Dallas' central business district.

Goldman Sachs was offered a parking ratio of six parking space per 1,000 square feet and a lease rate of about $20 per square foot, triple net, sources say.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... llest.html

Six parking spaces per 1,000 square feet would end up being 900 spots for 1,200 employees. And $20/square foot? Pretty cheap compared to other office towers on Ross. And a total steal compared to Uptown office towers!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 25 Oct 2016 17:32

That would be a really sweet deal, plus the new towers and parking across the street don't hurt anything either. Again, another good indicator for downtown.

willyk

Postby willyk » 25 Oct 2016 20:14

Goldman competes for employees with the financial services operations going in at Legacy and CityLine. They had to move some place appealing or they would lose their employees. $20NNN plus much better attractions than the burbs makes this a very shrewd move.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Oct 2016 10:55

What was the 'right stuff' that drove employers Chase, Toyota, State Farm to the Dallas area?

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... allas-area

Three of the biggest new employers in North Texas say they are spending billions on offices here to take advantage of the labor force and provide cutting-edge work environments for their employees.

Toyota, State Farm Insurance and JP Morgan Chase have put 5 million square feet of new office campuses in the Dallas area in the last few years.

North Texas became the nexus for these firms and their more than 30,000 workers because of the potential for hiring and creating new business environments here, top officers with all three companies told an international real estate group meeting in Dallas.

willyk

Postby willyk » 26 Oct 2016 20:41

North Texas became the nexus for these firms and their more than 30,000 workers because of the potential for hiring and creating new business environments here, top officers with all three companies told an international real estate group meeting in Dallas.

Honestly, I don't understand what they mean when they say "creating new business environments." There must be something to it since all of these companies see it. I am delighted they moved to North Texas, but maybe I've been here too long and take our business environment for granted. What are they seeing here that they cannot find in other cities?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Oct 2016 21:29

I feel like it's due to the following:
- Tons of cheap, develop-able land with no natural barriers in any direction.
- Access to a large, talented workforce, that are, generally, willing to work for less than people in NYC or California
- DFW is very connected, meaning tons of large highways that connect us all together, and a few interstate highways that connect us to the rest of the country. Having a large international airport certainly helps, and so does DART rail (even if it currently isn't as heavily utilized as other cities).

It also helps that these companies are receiving huge subsidies for moving here.

There aren't many places that can claim to be great at all of these things. The concerning thing is that things like 'cheap land' and access to talent aren't permanent. What's also scary is what happens when it's time for these companies to upgrade their offices. Do they up and leave and go to the 'next' DFW a few decades from now, or would have developed enough as a metroplex for them to have enough reason to stay. I'm thinking the latter, but nothing is guaranteed and money talks.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Nov 2016 11:53

Behind the Jacobs' headquarters relocation from California to downtown Dallas

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... j=76315291

There's still a piece of the puzzle that has yet to be figured out at Harwood Center: The parking garage.

Earlier this year, the owner of Harwood Center — New York-based Fortis Property Group — presented plans to the city council to expand the parking garage within the downtown Dallas tower, in part, to accommodate Jacobs' growing operations within the building.

The plan was rejected by the Dallas city council members and Fortis Property Group went back to the drawing board.

When the DBJ asked Demetriou about the importance of the parking garage to Jacobs' relocation to Dallas, he said he had verbal commitments from the mayor and city staff that parking would not be an issue and the project is something he "expects to be fulfilled."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Nov 2016 12:21

Still stuck in that 1999 traffic jam, while all around these downtown towers the population is growing with pedestrians.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 08 Nov 2016 12:25

http://www.wsj.com/articles/office-pile ... 1478619658

Article about Houston development and not Dallas, but I hope it doesn't foretell a future slowdown for Dallas. After all, Houston and Dallas are sister cities in that they both offer more or less the same business environment, same young-ish talent pool, and same tax structures.

From the article:
At the same time, landlords encouraged by the rapid pace of leasing rushed to start new office projects, to the point where in 2014, nearly one-fifth of all the office space under construction in the U.S. was located in Houston, according to CoStar Group Inc.....In all, 28% of the city’s office space now sits empty or otherwise available for lease, up from 20% in early 2012, according to real-estate services firm JLL....[In the energy corridor] the availability rate is an eye-popping 40.9%, according to JLL, up from just 13.5% in early 2012.

In Energy Center 1, they are offering subleases for $10 per sq foot.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 08 Nov 2016 14:22

But isn't the Houston economy more closely tied to O&G?

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 09 Nov 2016 08:42

It is, but cheap rent in newer buildings can be a strong driver of diversification.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Nov 2016 09:13

I'm ready for another marquee Fortune 500 relocation!

I've always thought the buy-sell corporate grinder trying to merge the data handling of EDS/Perot Systems/ACS into the deliverable products of Xerox/HP/Dell would eventually blow out a couple Dallas HQs, but maybe it'll be something totally different. These massive insurance company processing center almost seem like a seasonal product, the consolidations and open workspaces will last until there's a reason to spend money on a new smart idea of innovation in the work place....

I've also wondered if Dr Pepper would want to buy Milk Company Dean.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 09 Nov 2016 11:45

Here's another story today in the DBJ:

New York City-based WeWork — one of the largest coworking operators in the world — plans to open its largest shop yet in downtown Dallas, sources say.

The coworking operator plans to open a three-floor hub totaling more than 80,000 square feet in the city's central business district at Thanksgiving Tower at 1601 Elm St., according to real estate sources.

"These buildings are very attractive for coworking spaces because they can repurpose it and there's a value proposition for the actual users," she told me. "I think we'll continue to see this as a trend."

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... l-yet.html

I'm not sure I understand what a "coworking space" is, but very exciting news for Thanksgiving Tower!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Nov 2016 21:49

The future of work, positive statement for downtown.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Nov 2016 10:23

Architecture firm HOK plans to move its Dallas office from Cityplace Tower — which is undergoing a multimillion-dollar renovation— to an office tower in downtown Dallas.

The Washington, D.C.-based firm, which specializes in design, architecture, engineering and planning, has signed a more than six-year lease totaling about 8,000 square feet of office space at 717 Harwood St., which was formerly known as KPMG Centre.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... tower.html

A small win, since they were already located very close to the CBD already, but a win nonetheless.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Nov 2016 11:22

So, the legal teams are moving to Uptown and the design teams are moving to downtown.... interesting.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Nov 2016 13:29

Wonder what the next new downtown office product will be?

Tnexster

Re: Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Postby Tnexster » 16 Nov 2016 17:16

Local move....

Stream Energy decides to move its Dallas headquarters to Addison

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... j=76460931

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Nov 2016 12:18

Australian Startup Arcade Opens Dallas Office
Arcade, an Australian-based startup and 2016 graduate of the REVTECH program, will open a permanent Dallas office.

The accelerator said Arcade recently made two hires to lead customer success and business development for the Dallas office that is operating out of the Dallas Entrepreneur Center in the West End neighborhood of downtown Dallas.

https://www.dallasinnovates.com/austral ... as-office/

Seems we are slowly developing a bit of a start-up scene in the West End. Good sign, because I feel start-ups are the one area where DFW is lagging behind.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Nov 2016 22:04

Engineering firm Kimley-Horn has decided to relocate within the LBJ Expressway corridor to Two Galleria Tower following a $19 million renovation of the Galleria Towers.

The Raleigh, North Carolina-based firm, which also does planning, surveying and landscape architecture, has signed a lease for 45,646 square feet with Two Galleria Tower at 13455 Noel Road in Dallas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... g-lbj.html

Another relocation from out of state...

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 22 Nov 2016 08:15

DPatel304 wrote:
Engineering firm Kimley-Horn has decided to relocate within the LBJ Expressway corridor to Two Galleria Tower following a $19 million renovation of the Galleria Towers.

The Raleigh, North Carolina-based firm, which also does planning, surveying and landscape architecture, has signed a lease for 45,646 square feet with Two Galleria Tower at 13455 Noel Road in Dallas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... g-lbj.html

Another relocation from out of state...

They are relocating from a few miles down LBJ, not from out of state.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 22 Nov 2016 09:35

Whoops, I should probably read the articles more carefully. I just saw 'North Carolina-based firm', and assumed they were moving from NC.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Dec 2016 21:49

willyk

Postby willyk » 08 Dec 2016 08:18

Speed To Market And Infrastructure Are Relocation Factors

“Speed-to-market was an important factor in American Tire Distributors’ ultimate decision to locate at AllianceTexas, and Hillwood was able to quickly deliver a facility that met their operational needs,” said Tony Creme, senior vice president of Hillwood. “Additionally, the competitive tax structure, location within the Alliance Foreign Trade Zone, and close proximity to the BNSF Railways’ Alliance Intermodal Facility, Interstate 35W and Texas Highway 114, also greatly benefit the company, enhancing its financial and logistics efficiencies.”

http://www.globest.com/sites/lisabrown/2016/12/07/speed-to-market-and-infrastructure-are-relocation-factors/?slreturn=20161108091426

willyk

Postby willyk » 10 Dec 2016 07:20

They Never Learn Dept:

Portland To Tax Companies That Have Outrageous CEO-Worker Pay Gaps

More than 500 companies will be affected by the new rule, including Walmart, Honeywell, Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo and General Electric, according to a statement from IPS.

Still, an op-ed by the Wall Street Journal editorial board last month warned the legislation could encourage businesses to abandon Portland, but Anderson “can’t imagine” that would happen.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5849ca59e4b08283d6b54e88

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 10 Dec 2016 12:54

^just another self-righteous excuse to raise revenue. It's not like the tax is going to influence the way those companies are run.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Dec 2016 13:59

I am sure nothing can go wrong with this plan.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 12 Dec 2016 09:41

Who the hell cares? Portland is not in Texas and if they don't want the shining star that is Wal-Mart, then it's up to them. That might bring more business to Texas, and I know you guys are all totally outraged on behalf of the companies, but business don't have feelings so they will be ok.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Dec 2016 09:53

Economists: Corporate relocations to DFW will intensify under Trump

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... nsify.html

The wave of corporate relocations to North Texas will intensify under a Donald Trump presidency — not necessarily because of his policies but due to an overall improvement in the economy.

That’s the opinion of economists in a 2017 forecasting conversation at Southern Methodist University Friday morning.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Dec 2016 10:38

Tnexster wrote:Economists: Corporate relocations to DFW will intensify under Trump

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... nsify.html

“It’s going to accelerate,” said Bernard “Bud” Weinstein, associate director of the Maguire Energy Institute and adjunct professor of business economics. “I’ve lived here for 41 years, and I’ve never seen it booming like it is today, not just in terms of people but in terms of businesses. It’s not just the large businesses, the Toyotas, but there are hundreds of small businesses mainly from the west coast, the Midwest and the Northeast, and I see that trend accelerating.”

Over the years, I've learned to take Bud Weinstein's predictions with a grain of salt. While at UNT, he saw trouble at DFW should Wright Amendment restrictions be eased... that's the one that really sticks out, but I've generally considered his directive conclusions too affected by specific points of view.

I do agree, though, that corporate relocations to North Texas will continue.

willyk

Postby willyk » 12 Dec 2016 20:02

The_Overdog wrote:Who the hell cares? Portland is not in Texas and if they don't want the shining star that is Wal-Mart, then it's up to them. That might bring more business to Texas, and I know you guys are all totally outraged on behalf of the companies, but business don't have feelings so they will be ok.

The point is not to be outraged about this-- in fact, I am tickled pink.

Over time, perceptions build and become cemented in the minds of the public, with even more impact if it's the minds of CEOs. Portland is reinforcing the perception that the doing business on the West Coast is a fool's game. More please. Give me much much more.

muncien

Postby muncien » 20 Dec 2016 11:40

I'm not sure how significant this is, but I stumbled across it in the notes from the Irving City Counsel meeting back on Dec. 6th. I don't know who 'Atos IT' is, but 500 employees sounds pretty significant.

100k sqft isn't really that big, but not bad. That's the same size as Office Building being constructed in the Music Factory for comparison. Not sure where exactly this is supposed to be.

Anybody else know what this is all about?

Meeting: 12/8/2016 DOC ID: 7712
Recommending Department: Economic Development LSR No: 18964
Resolution -- Approving an Economic Incentive Agreement Between the
City of Irving and Atos IT Solutions and Services, Inc., in an Amount
Dependent Upon Annual Qualification
Administrative Comments
1. This item is recommended by the Economic Development Department.
2. Impact: Approval of this incentive agreement will assist in attracting Atos IT
Solutions and Services, Inc., to the City of Irving.
3. This incentive agreement was discussed at the October 26, 2016 Executive
Session of the Irving City Council Work Session meeting.
4. Atos IT Solutions and Services, Inc., plans to establish a designated regional
headquarters providing information technology services (e.g., consulting and
systems integration services, managed services and BPO, cloud operations, etc.).
5. The City, along with the Greater Irving/Las Colinas Chamber of Commerce, has
worked with Atos to attract the company and their investment to the City of Irving.
6. Minimum qualification levels for this incentive is the construction and occupancy of
99,000 square feet of office space; new real property improvement value of
$4,000,000; new business personal property value of $3,000,000; and 500
employees with an average annual salary of $70,000.
7. The City will provide a grant equivalent to ninety percent (90%) of real property
taxes paid on new taxable value over $13,731,560 for five years. The City also will
provide a grant equivalent to ninety percent (90%) of business personal property
taxes paid for five years. Atos is required to maintain minimum qualification levels
annually during the five-year term plus for an additional three years.
8. The City anticipates the net new benefit after incentives in real property taxes,
business personal property taxes and sales taxes to be $428,689 during the
five-year term of the agreement. The approximate value of the incentive to Atos is
$187,142.
Recommendation
The resolution be approved.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Dec 2016 12:58

Good for LC if they get it. Large relo projects are great but we will take small and mid-size projects too that will come here and grow. Very good for diversification.

willyk

Postby willyk » 20 Dec 2016 14:35

Atos is the real deal-- they tried to buy the old ACS business from Xerox and the old Perot Systems from Dell. Not sure if either happened but they are substantial French company for sure. They also acquired a local company called Anthelio.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jan 2017 21:36

The IT services giant plans to open its new North American headquarters in early summer upon completion of the 14-story, 307,824-square-foot office tower at 7950 Legacy Drive.

The Japanese-based IT company plans to move 600 workers — including some new hires and relocations from other Plano locations and throughout the country — to One Legacy West upon completion of the office space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... rican.html

Legacy West still going strong. The momentum really needs to slow down here and spread to other parts of the metroplex, though. It's getting way too crowded.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 Jan 2017 23:21

Honestly that's incredible that they still are luring more companies.. are they getting any incentives to locate there from the City Plano?

I wonder if the Executives actually considered the traffic nightmares / limited accessibility via tollroads for non Plano Residents when deciding on Legacy.

In my previous job I would travel and commuted to numerous facilities accross various cities in OH NJ and TX; often times by toll road.

Legacy isn't the worst I've seen; but it's up there. Pretty bad. Now I haven't been up there during rush hour in over 1.5 years but I'm curious to know if the traffic has worsened. Does anyone have a daily commute to Legacy?

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 18 Jan 2017 14:31

I drive thru there everyday. I just don't think it is that bad right now. By next year, who knows.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 Jan 2017 14:47

I guess my standard would be the Mixmaster and if Legacy is as bad as that. I don't think that's the case yet but I don't see it at rush hour.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 18 Jan 2017 15:43

According to TXDOT, none of the highways in Collin County rate highly as 'congested' except I-35, and some tiny bits of 75 around Richardson. DFW as a whole rates pretty low compared to Austin and Houston in worst traffic, as in Dallas' worst traffic spot is around #10 on the worst list. People aren't kidding when they call DFW highways overbuilt, and they are managing traffic fine so far.

According to Plano, the intersections around Legacy West don't rate highly in terms of accidents. That would be the south end of Preston and US75.

We'll see in another year though.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 18 Jan 2017 16:22

The_Overdog wrote:According to TXDOT, none of the highways in Collin County rate highly as 'congested' except I-35, and some tiny bits of 75 around Richardson. DFW as a whole rates pretty low compared to Austin and Houston in worst traffic, as in Dallas' worst traffic spot is around #10 on the worst list. People aren't kidding when they call DFW highways overbuilt, and they are managing traffic fine so far.

According to Plano, the intersections around Legacy West don't rate highly in terms of accidents. That would be the south end of Preston and US75.

We'll see in another year though.

I-35 doesn't even touch Collin County.

According to TXDOT's chart, those "tiny bits of 75" that rate highly as congested run from Sam Rayburn Tollway to President George Bush Turnpike (about half the length of Collin County).

And the highest-rated Dallas segment is #4, not #10.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 19 Jan 2017 09:02

Fair enough I didn't actually take a new look at the list before commenting - but that section of US75 is #30 on the list and is nowhere near Legacy West (about 10 miles away) and is in the process of being widened.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Feb 2017 13:27

AIG EYES ATLANTA, DALLAS FOR MAJOR CORPORATE CONSOLIDATION

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/off ... fwjobs.com

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Feb 2017 15:00

These threats could slow DFW's corporate relocation roll

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... ation.html

Regional leaders’ answers were varied, but they came back to three themes: Talent, transportation and water. If these three issues aren’t addressed, the people, jobs and corporations won’t continue to come.