Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Cord1936

Re: Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Postby Cord1936 » 04 Jan 2018 18:49

Tnexster wrote:I love these small relocations, they are easy to squeeze into existing office space and they usually grow once they they get here.

^^^^^^^
Exactly! Small has a way of getting much bigger over time. Just looking at LST's plans for this year their new Dallas corporate office will go from 10 people up to 30 ... in percentage terms that is staggering growth in one year!

Multiply that example by how many other smaller companies moving here and doing the same thing and the organic growth to the Dallas economy starts to really add up ...

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Jan 2018 20:03

Not a small one, but there's also Commercicial Metal in Irving growing through acquisition. #535 on the Fortune 1000 list, the $600 million purchase adds 2,700 employees and is likely to move that company up the high profile list. Not sure if many new local jobs result.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 09 Jan 2018 17:19

Report: Dallas could be in the sights of another tech giant — Google

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... ant-google

According to Crain's, Google is looking for a regional hub outside its Mountain View, Calif. headquarters, and it plans to have between 1,000 and 5,000 people in the new location.
Crain's cited unnamed sources who say the company is in "advanced discussions" with a few cities, including Chicago, Atlanta, and Boston in addition to Dallas. Interestingly, all are cities that have often been mentioned as potential HQ2 sites.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jan 2018 17:49

Not bad, but that's definitely some stiff competition. I wonder if all the HQ2 buzz helped draw more attention on Dallas. No doubt that DFW has been in the spotlight for a while, but, because of Amazon, we now have renderings available to the whole country of what could be possible in Dallas.

My vote is on Boston for Google's new regional hub.

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Jan 2018 18:45

Bring 'em both home to the Silicon Skyline (a.k.a., Big D)!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Jan 2018 19:03

eburress wrote:Bring 'em both home to the Silicon Skyline (a.k.a., Big D)!

We call it the Silicone Prairie 'round these parts amigo.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Jan 2018 19:08

Actually I like the idea of a smaller relocation over something like 50,000. It's much easier to absorb something in the 5,000 range.

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Jan 2018 20:15

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Silicon Prairie refers to the broader North Texas area, but Silicon Skyline refers specifically to central Dallas, which will become a tech hub with HQ2 and G2. :)

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Jan 2018 20:30

eburress wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Silicon Prairie refers to the broader North Texas area, but Silicon Skyline refers specifically to central Dallas, which will become a tech hub with HQ2 and G2. :)

Yep. But it's wishful thinking that both will relocate to DTD. We'll be lucky if we get 1.

eburress

Postby eburress » 10 Jan 2018 07:41

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
eburress wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:

Yep. But it's wishful thinking that both will relocate to DTD. We'll be lucky if we get 1.

Oh I know. It was mostly wishful thinking and a little bit of schtick too.

In reality, if Google were to relocate I expect it's most likely that they would be looking at a campus in Legacy, similar to their Mountain View HQ. One can dream though. :)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jan 2018 09:28

It just depends on what type of employee they are targeting. They may be targeting similar millennial employees that Amazon wants that desire more urban locations. The dotcom campuses of Southern California are still more of a thing there than anywhere else. Yes, we have suburban office complexes but the dotcoms don't just do suburban buildings they build a lifestyle into their campuses, unlike even today's most advanced traditional corporate companies. Toyota, Chase and State Farm built some nice campuses with amenities for sure but they are nothing compared to the playgrounds that are the HQ's for Facebook and Google. Google, Amazon, and Facebook need to have options to compete. The urban walkable stuff some like to dismiss is still an option some of these companies don't have in their existing office space stock.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 11 Jan 2018 11:53

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It just depends on what type of employee they are targeting.

Google (and similar companies) target intelligent, focused, motivated workaholics without any kind of life outside of work. That's why they have 24 hour free food, onsite bars, gyms, dry cleaners, playrooms, etc... -- so the employees never have to leave the office. And this business model works very well for them.

For these kind of folks it doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood the office is located in -- because they rarely see the outside world.

And no, this is neither tongue-in-cheek or exaggeration. It's the reality of Silicon Valley. Look at Apple's new HQ building.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jan 2018 15:14

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:It just depends on what type of employee they are targeting.

Google (and similar companies) target intelligent, focused, motivated workaholics without any kind of life outside of work. That's why they have 24 hour free food, onsite bars, gyms, dry cleaners, playrooms, etc... -- so the employees never have to leave the office. And this business model works very well for them.

For these kind of folks it doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood the office is located in -- because they rarely see the outside world.

And no, this is neither tongue-in-cheek or exaggeration. It's the reality of Silicon Valley. Look at Apple's new HQ building.

I am aware but it depends on what divisions of the company they would be locating employees for. Not every employee is locked up doing code. These companies are working in a lot of areas now including customer service and logistics areas where they might need a different office environment to attract certain talent.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 11 Jan 2018 18:12

Please let it be HQ2!

ImageDowntown Dallas, June 2017, on Flickr

PMRG: Dallas-Fort Worth still has one big relocation on the horizon
By Candace Carlisle, Dallas Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018, 2:59pm

After some big companies relocating to North Texas took occupancy of their new homes last year, PMRG Executive Vice President Kurt Cherry says he expects to see one more big move to the region before the real estate cycle ends.
The longtime real estate executive says he believes another 500,000-square-foot to 1 million-square-foot deal could be on the region's horizon this year. Cherry declined to comment on specific market knowledge, but said the region is keyed up for another big deal.

"Some people think the big corporate relocations are done for a while, but I think with the educated workforce we have here and the business-friendly environment, I think we'll have one more announcement," he added.

Dallas-Fort Worth ranks as the No. 4 region in the country based on its number of Fortune 500 headquarters. Last year, North Texas added 100,400 jobs, making 2017 the fourth year in a row that the region added more than 100,000 positions.
Article: https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2018/01/09/pmrg-dallas-fort-worth-still-has-one-big.html

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Jan 2018 09:19

My hope is still for the two-fer, Google AND Amazon

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Jan 2018 11:38

I have a suspicion HQ2 may reduce the 10 year plan for 50,000 workers, 7-8,000,000 sq ft of space etc as the whole dealio plays out. Look for caveats in the incentive package outlining what's good for what.

Among most presumed top candidates, Dallas/Plano probably has ths strongest background for AWS product, EDS, Perot, ACS being some of the biggest players over the decades. Also Dallas/Plano is highly visible in brick & mortar retail, especially with Amazon Division Whole Foods just down the road in Austin.

Dallas/Plano by itself is compelling market to house Google regional whatever they intend; this is one that could land in Fort Worth; If downtown Dallas starts hosting honking-big offices like this from whatever, I absolutely want downtown Fort Worth to gain the same. Transit node being an important benefit in the string of RFPs dangling out there, the Regional benefit increases for ALL individuals if travel between Downtown Dallas and Downtown Fort Worth is convenient, efficient and non-burdensome. Specifically TRE must grow capacity; adjacent commuter rail from DTFW to the airport is the icing on the cake to improve the quality and variety of life metrics in Dallas, Irving and Fort Worth - it really is good everyone.

eburress

Postby eburress » 16 Jan 2018 18:44

Didn't someone at Hillwood (I'm too lazy to look) say they wouldn't be surprised if Amazon ended up splitting their HQ2 across more than a single city in a recent interview? Your suspicion may not be far off.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jan 2018 07:53

Apple is gearing up to build another corporate campus in a yet-to-be-announced American city and increase its workforce across the U.S. by 20,000 new employees over the next five years, the iPhone maker said Wednesday.

The news comes packaged with Apple’s announcement Wednesday that it plans to invest a total of $350 billion into the U.S. economy between now and the end of 2023.

Cupertino-based Apple says that investment will come through increased spending in manufacturing, capital expenditures, hiring, product sales and company and employee tax payments, including about $38 billion in repatriation tax payments as part of recent changes to tax laws.

“Apple is a success story that could only have happened in America, and we are proud to build on our long history of support for the U.S. economy,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement Wednesday. “We believe deeply in the power of American ingenuity, and we are focusing our investments in areas where we can have a direct impact on job creation and job preparedness. We have a deep sense of responsibility to give back to our country and the people who help make our success possible.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ce=twitter

I can't tell if the article is simply jumping to conclusions here. The quotes from Apple don't seem to indicate, to me, that they are building a new campus somewhere and there is definitely nothing, at this time, to indicate DFW has a shot if a new campus is being built. Either way, take it for what it's worth.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Jan 2018 08:24

Atlanta, GA
Austin, TX
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Columbus, OH
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Indianapolis, IN
Los Angeles, CA
Miami, FL
Montgomery County, MD
Nashville, TN
Newark, NJ
New York City, NY
Northern Virginia, VA
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Raleigh, NC
Toronto, ON
Washington D.C.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/18/amazo ... e=facebook

The "short" list contains 20 cities, so not really much of a short list at all.

muncien

Postby muncien » 18 Jan 2018 09:17

DPatel304 wrote:
Apple is gearing up to build another corporate campus in a yet-to-be-announced American city and increase its workforce across the U.S. by 20,000 new employees over the next five years, the iPhone maker said Wednesday.

The news comes packaged with Apple’s announcement Wednesday that it plans to invest a total of $350 billion into the U.S. economy between now and the end of 2023.

Cupertino-based Apple says that investment will come through increased spending in manufacturing, capital expenditures, hiring, product sales and company and employee tax payments, including about $38 billion in repatriation tax payments as part of recent changes to tax laws.

“Apple is a success story that could only have happened in America, and we are proud to build on our long history of support for the U.S. economy,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement Wednesday. “We believe deeply in the power of American ingenuity, and we are focusing our investments in areas where we can have a direct impact on job creation and job preparedness. We have a deep sense of responsibility to give back to our country and the people who help make our success possible.”

I can't tell if the article is simply jumping to conclusions here. The quotes from Apple don't seem to indicate, to me, that they are building a new campus somewhere and there is definitely nothing, at this time, to indicate DFW has a shot if a new campus is being built. Either way, take it for what it's worth.

I think all these tech companies are realizing that there is a talent shortage in California, and the talent that is there costs quite a bit and still lives within a limited means do to the astronomical cost of living. They don't have much of a choice but to branch out if they intend to expand.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Jan 2018 09:44

Why Reno though?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Jan 2018 09:45

I wont be surprised as most of the TechnoGiants open significant operations & decision making offices in North Texas; not just American Techno companies either. Nexus is a leftover corporate buzz word from the turn of the century, that has growing application to describe the North Texas employment center.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Jan 2018 09:47

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Why Reno though?

Tahoe is beautiful, and there's a galactic-sized battery factory in the area....

muncien

Postby muncien » 19 Jan 2018 11:31

I saw this in Business Insider article...
Apple's new campus is unlikely to be located in California, where the tech company's headquarters are housed at its sleek "spaceship" Apple Park campus in Cupertino, or in Texas, where it has facilities in Austin that house customer service and some computer assembly operations, said Cook in an interview with ABC News on Wednesday.

No explanation given though...
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-apple-says-it-will-decide-new-campus-site-without-an-auction-2018-1

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Jan 2018 12:22

Apple will likely want a suburban campus, correct? Seems like there is very little information given here, so I won't hold my breath for Texas, but it's cool that Amazon, Apple, and Google are all scoping out new locations.

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Jan 2018 12:30

DPatel304 wrote:Apple will likely want a suburban campus, correct? Seems like there is very little information given here, so I won't hold my breath for Texas, but it's cool that Amazon, Apple, and Google are all scoping out new locations.

I'm guessing this is because of Texas' social policies/politics.

muncien

Postby muncien » 19 Jan 2018 13:02

eburress wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:Apple will likely want a suburban campus, correct? Seems like there is very little information given here, so I won't hold my breath for Texas, but it's cool that Amazon, Apple, and Google are all scoping out new locations.

I'm guessing this is because of Texas' social policies/politics.

Possible, sure... but not likely.
I doubt they support one-child policy or brutality in Tibet but that doesn't stop them from doing significant business in china. For most corporations its all about $$$.

But in that sense, Apple is a bit different than Amazon in that they'll try to maintain a more premium character (even at a cost), while Amazon is a bit more 'thrifty'.

I would expect places like Boston or NYC to fit Apple better than a Dallas or Atlanta.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 20 Jan 2018 14:32

According to ABC News, Apple does not plan to create the new campus in California or Texas.

Another source claiming it won't be in Texas. Nothing directly from Apple, though, so I guess we can't be 100% certain.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Jan 2018 17:22

East Coast Bias.

muncien

Postby muncien » 22 Jan 2018 09:29

The Apple culture doesn't seem to fit Texas at all... I know its just perception, but it seems a very obvious one.

Amazon on the other hand is actually much more similar culturally. You can think back to when Texas sued Amazon for bazillions in state sales tax, and instead of withdrawing from Texas, Amazon agreed to double down heavily in their investments here. I think that speaks volumes to how they view Texas. I'm not at all saying they don't have similar views with other states, but I do think there is something to be said about their position. As I have stated before... they are quite 'thrifty' when compared to other tech giants.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Jan 2018 19:22

Law firm to relocate Dallas office to penthouse of Arts District tower
Law firm Bell Nunnally & Martin LLP decided to relocate its Dallas office to the top two floors of KPMG Plaza at Hall Arts in the Arts District by the end of the summer.

The growing law firm signed a long-term lease for about 42,000 square feet at 2323 Ross Ave. in downtown Dallas, which will move the company from its longtime office along McKinney Avenue in Uptown.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... e=multiple

An unfortunate loss for Uptown, but, Downtown certainly needs the tenants more, at this point in time.

eburress

Postby eburress » 27 Jan 2018 11:45

I think this is great news. Uptown has had its fair share of good fortune and now it's Downtown proper's turn.

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 29 Jan 2018 08:30

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... n-mountain
https://www.usnews.com/news/business/ar ... rage-giant

Dr Pepper-Snapple is merging with Keurig-Green Mountain. It will go by Keurig Dr Pepper for its new name. Both pre-merger corporate offices (Keurig's in Waterbury, VT as well as the Plano offices for Dr Pepper-Snapple) will be retained. Annual sales of the combined companies total about $11 billion.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 29 Jan 2018 15:50

JAB Holding Company, a Luxembourg-based investment firm, will make an equity investment of $9 billion as part of the financing of the deal. It will retain 87 percent of the combined company. The 13 percent stake left with the Dr Pepper shareholders still will be publicly traded....Bob Gamgort, current chief executive of Keurig, will serve as chief executive of the combined company and be based in Burlington, Mass. If the headquarters of the combined company follows the CEO, North Texas loses a Fortune 500 headquarters.

How sad that Dr Pepper will no longer be a Texas company... unless the unlikely happens and the holding company moves the CEO and CFO from Boston suburb to Dallas suburb.

Just like Penny and Frito Lay, Dr Pepper should have decision making in the CBD.

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 21 Feb 2018 19:43

Photo courtesy of TexasStar ... thank you for such a beautiful shot of this building!

Downtown Dallas' newest office building attracts Boston health care firm rumored to be eyeing move
by Sabriya Rice, Dallas Morning News, 02-21-18

A Boston-based health care company that operates three dozen hospitals in 10 states could be setting the stage for a relocation to Dallas.

Steward Health Care System, which describes itself as the country’s largest private hospital operator, has leased 18,000 square feet of office space in a downtown office building, according to city of Dallas building permits.

The 25-story building at 1900 Pearl St. is Dallas’ newest downtown office tower, with 260,000 square feet of office space ...
Rumors have swirled in recent months that Steward was looking to move out of Massachusetts, and The Boston Globe reported in November that Dallas was the likely spot for the new headquarters.
On Tuesday, Steward Health received approval of a building permit for $3.25 million worth of construction on the 23rd floor of the office tower, records show.

In The Boston Globe report, the company’s chief executive, Dr. Ralph de la Torre, was said to be planning to move some top management jobs.
In September, it completed a $2 billion merger agreement in which it took over six hospitals in Texas, as well as several in other states. Earlier in 2017, it acquired eight hospitals from Tennessee-based Community Health Systems.
Article: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/health-care/2018/02/21/large-boston-based-health-care-firm-rumored-eyeing-moveleases-space-downtown-dallas

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 22 Feb 2018 10:07

Not to detail this thread, but I came across this on D Magazine. Does anyone think this could have been the big, secret project w/ a Star Wars type code name that Dallas was going after a few years ago? It seems to be a transformative project & one that Dallas should have beaten Denver over. Akin to Google's Toronto project.

Panasonic "City Now"
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... elocation/

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 22 Feb 2018 11:52

Timing seems a little off, but it’s a good suggestion for sure.

Project Wall-E hit executive sessions in late 2011 dwindled away in 2012 whereas this Panasonic decision came in 2014:

https://www.denverpost.com/2014/12/18/p ... otropolis/

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 22 Feb 2018 11:54

Oh I see, you mean the early 2014 one:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... ooking-for

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Feb 2018 12:25

Maybe Samsung will give it a go in Dallas.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 22 Feb 2018 16:48

I45Tex wrote:Timing seems a little off, but it’s a good suggestion for sure.

Project Wall-E hit executive sessions in late 2011 dwindled away in 2012 whereas this Panasonic decision came in 2014:

https://www.denverpost.com/2014/12/18/p ... otropolis/

I knew it was a sci-fi movie of some sort. I was thinking Project R2D2, but that seemed off. Thanks!

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 22 Feb 2018 18:58

Well you were right; the second link I had was Project c3po...

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 12 Apr 2018 16:59

JetSuiteX, a private charter airline that offers scheduled service, is moving their HQ from California to Dallas/FW and expanding to 100 aircraft. The expansion is partly being funded by Qatar Airways and Jetblue. Location has not been determined. Could be near DFW, Love Field, or one of the executive airports. It will be nice to have a 3rd local airlines, making DFW the undisputed airline HQ hub in the USA!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... t-move-dfw

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 19 Apr 2018 22:01

The U.S. Army has Dallas in its sites for a new high-tech office center
Steve Brown, Real Estate Editor

Amazon isn't the only outfit looking at locations for a new cutting-edge office hub.

The U.S. Army says it's shopping 15 cities including Dallas for a new headquarters location for its planned Futures Command -- an operation that would develop new tech and innovations, according to the Associated Press.

The Army this week notified city officials in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Raleigh, N.C., that they are being considered for the new office that will employ about 500 people.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ice-center

Mgreen15

Postby Mgreen15 » 24 Apr 2018 13:30

Smoothie King is officially moving to the Cypress Waters development in June.

“It's confirmed. Smoothie King will relocate its headquarters to North Texas this summer, the company’s CEO told the Dallas Business Journal.

Currently based in Metairie, Louisiana, the brand will move to Irving’s Cypress Waters development in June to support its burgeoning footprint, said Smoothie King’s CEO Wan Kim.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... rs-to.html

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 24 Apr 2018 19:09

Simon Greenstone Panatier PC is defying long-standing real estate trends with plans to move its Dallas office from Uptown to downtown.

The trial law firm is relocating in August from the One McKinney tower in Uptown to the 34th floor of Renaissance Tower in downtown. Its new space encompasses 23,869 square feet at the building at 1201 Elm St.

“With the resurgence of Main Street in downtown Dallas, the tenant saw an opportunity to move to a space that offers the amenities and location they were looking for,” Clay Gilbert, first vice president with real estate giant CBRE (NYSE: CBRE), said in a prepared statement. “It’s refreshing to see a major law firm recognizing the benefits of being downtown and taking advantage of all that Renaissance Tower can offer.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ntown.html

I can't remember if this was announced already or not, but here's another firm moving from Uptown to Downtown.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 May 2018 14:35

Payless ShoeSource plans to move multiple departments to Dallas
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... tiple.html

Topeka, Kansas-based Payless ShoeSource is opening a Dallas office, but plans to keep "select business operations" in Topeka and other locations, according to a release.

According to The Topeka Capital-Journal, Payless plans to transfer multiple departments to Dallas by Aug. 31, including buying, merchandising, legal, real estate and part of the information, technology, e-commerce and human resources departments. Three or four departments will remain in Topeka.

Payless plans to open a location at Bryan Tower, a 40-story office building in Dallas owned by Randall Smith, founder of Alden Global Capital, the Topeka Capital-Journal reports.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 May 2018 16:33

Nice! Another win for Downtown Dallas! Hopefully this results in the entire Payless corporate office moving to Downtown Dallas. As existing office buildings downtown continue to fill up, it will be cool to see new office towers rising again for once. That would also set off more residential tower growth. There has been great residential growth in Downtown Dallas over the last decade, but the key to setting off another boom will be getting brand new office towers going.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 03 May 2018 16:42

I was pleasantly surprised to see they are moving Downtown. I'm not familiar with Topeka, nor am I familiar with where Payless's office is within Topeka, but Payless just struck me as more of a suburban campus type of company.

Either way, this is exciting stuff! I'm curious to know how big (in terms of number of employees) this one is.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 May 2018 17:04

Digital retailer Chewy bringing 500 jobs to Dallas' Infomart
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... s-infomart

A digital retailer with a major presence in North Texas is upping its employment with a new office lease.

Chewy Inc., the online pet products retailer, is bringing 500 jobs to a new call center in Dallas' Infomart.

The Florida-based company has rented 50,000 square feet in the Stemmons Freeway building for the consumer marketing center it plans to open this month.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 May 2018 21:43

One after another they just keep coming. I'd take these every week over Amazon.