Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Jbarn

Re: Corporate Relocations/Expansions

Postby Jbarn » 25 May 2019 16:04

texasstar wrote:
Jbarn wrote:Hopefully the fact that Lowe’s wants rail access will automatically disqualify Plano and Frisco.

Plano has DART Rail.

I am referring to the parts of Plano that every corporation is flocking to, Legacy, Legacy West, Granite Park, etc...I work at Granite Park, it is a transit desert.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Jun 2019 15:10

Lowe's picks Charlotte after dangling potential of 2,000 new tech jobs in Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... obs-dallas

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 27 Jun 2019 18:20

Crap, dallas is always the bridesmaid it feels like.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 28 Jun 2019 09:32

It makes me wonder what is missing in our package that we loose these tech wins to other cities. If we loose Uber then Dallas really needs to take some deep searching and quick action.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Jun 2019 10:02

I wonder if certain companies have no interest in Dallas, but, since we known for ponying up the big bucks, they like to use us for leverage. I definitely felt that way about HQ2, and it could have been the case here as well.

Mgreen15

Postby Mgreen15 » 28 Jun 2019 10:47

DPatel304 wrote:I wonder if certain companies have no interest in Dallas, but, since we known for ponying up the big bucks, they like to use us for leverage.

It’s funny, you could replace “companies” with “free agents” and this statement would perfectly describe the local NBA franchise.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Jun 2019 12:04

DPatel304 wrote:I wonder if certain companies have no interest in Dallas, but, since we known for ponying up the big bucks, they like to use us for leverage. I definitely felt that way about HQ2, and it could have been the case here as well.

They went where they really wanted to go, the talent base alone heavily favored Dallas but for whatever reason (and it could be anything) they picked Charlotte.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Jun 2019 12:32

^With Lowe's, I'm not sure the advantages Dallas carried would have ever been enough to overcome the hometown advantage Charlotte had.

Dallas seems to be the future for Uber, though.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 28 Jun 2019 15:43

Tnexster wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:I wonder if certain companies have no interest in Dallas, but, since we known for ponying up the big bucks, they like to use us for leverage. I definitely felt that way about HQ2, and it could have been the case here as well.

They went where they really wanted to go, the talent base alone heavily favored Dallas but for whatever reason (and it could be anything) they picked Charlotte.

Yeah, I’m sure Charlotte had the “lock” on it as the HQ is down the way from there. This popped up as a last minute, dark horse situation- so it seemed odd that Dallas was added as a contender. I’m sure Lowe’s wanted a sweeter deal from their intended location and used this as leverage.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 28 Jun 2019 18:21

Its all about landing Uber.. Dallas has to close that one.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jun 2019 10:43

clcrash19 wrote:Its all about landing Uber.. Dallas has to close that one.

Yeah, I am a little concerned what it says if we don't land Uber.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 29 Jun 2019 11:18

^word

I would have to think, thought, Dallas is just about perfect for Uber to strengthen the brand, test flying taxi prototypes and marketing plans. It's really no surprise Dallas joins Los Angeles to work out the kinks in the science fiction flying car product.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Jul 2019 10:08

Indian hotel chain Oyo launches in U.S with $300 million investment, Dallas home base
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/hot ... -home-base

It's an interesting business, taking bottom-of-the-barrel motels and rebranding them into something resembling a hip chain. I just hope they've done their research because at least in Dallas, places like the Knights Inn near Love Field (which recently became an Oyo property) are basically apartments for the homeless.

vman

Postby vman » 01 Jul 2019 10:49

lakewoodhobo wrote:Indian hotel chain Oyo launches in U.S with $300 million investment, Dallas home base

It's an interesting business, taking bottom-of-the-barrel motels and rebranding them into something resembling a hip chain. I just hope they've done their research because at least in Dallas, places like the Knights Inn near Love Field (which recently became an Oyo property) are basically apartments for the homeless.

I saw one of these recently off 635 in North Dallas. I was curious and read some reviews when I got to work. Most of the reviews on these hotels are HORRIBLE, I mean really HORRIBLE. I don't think I'll be checking into one anytime soon.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 01 Jul 2019 12:15

This is a really interesting one. I noticed that a pretty dilapidated hotel on the NW corner of 75 and 635 was reonvated above a year ago into something called "Hotel Alexis". I felt pretty bad for the guys because it looks like they put a fair amount of money into it, and then it was totally stagnant and from the parking lot looked like it wasn't getting much traffic. I can't imagine how hard it must be to run a hotel that isn't under a hotel brand/flag. It folded in about 6 months and was very quickly rebranded as this Oyo Townhouse, and since then it appears to be receiving much more traffic.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Jul 2019 12:45

vman wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Indian hotel chain Oyo launches in U.S with $300 million investment, Dallas home base

I saw one of these recently off 635 in North Dallas. I was curious and read some reviews when I got to work. Most of the reviews on these hotels are HORRIBLE, I mean really HORRIBLE. I don't think I'll be checking into one anytime soon.

Drug spoon under the bed. Yikes.

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 12.41.21 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Jul 2019 14:31

Top D-FW community developer Republic Property heads to downtown Dallas with HQ move
Republic Property Group plans to move 70 people from the One Lincoln Park buiding on North Central Expressway to the 12th floor of the 400 South Record building.

https://outline.com/pP2x32

PonyUp13

Postby PonyUp13 » 07 Jul 2019 07:51

Aside from the Oyo venture I hope we can continue to be a beachhead for Indian investment. I think we all know the stats in this forum about the population from the subcontinent in Dallas so hopefully those ties lead to more in the future.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 05 Aug 2019 10:05

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... orth-texas

Honda maybe following Toyota footsteps in North Texas?

eburress

Postby eburress » 05 Aug 2019 11:11

"We have no plans to move to Dallas. We're happy here in Southern California," said Honda's Marcos Frommer.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Aug 2019 12:43

eburress wrote:"We have no plans to move to Dallas. We're happy here in Southern California," said Honda's Marcos Frommer.

Both statements can be true and they could still be planning a move to Plano or Frisco.

What I'm patiently waiting for is word from Uber. Every article said they would make an announcement in August and we're almost in week 2.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 06 Aug 2019 12:51

Honda to SoGood & Dallas Smart District, Uber to Deep Ellum... what's wrong with that?

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 06 Aug 2019 13:56

tamtagon wrote:Honda to SoGood & Dallas Smart District, Uber to Deep Ellum... what's wrong with that?

As much as I would love Honda in the urban core, they are a company that lives and breathes off of the suburbification of America. The Japanese automakers all have sprawling suburban North American HQ's. They've even traded denser suburbs in LA for less dense burbs in Texas (Toyota) and Tennessee (Nissan and Mitsubishi). If Honda is moving to North Texas, my money is on them setting up a sprawling suburban campus in Frisco.

I think the absolute best we could hope for is that they find a midway location such as the old Valley View Mall site in North Dallas or something in Richardson. They could easily draw from the professional workforce in Dallas and the burbs if they did something like that. A Honda HQ at the Valley View Mall site would be a huge boon for Dallas.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 Aug 2019 16:49

^I Agree, if Honda comes here they will be up in Frisco.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Aug 2019 17:37

Uber said to be closing in on Dallas as site for office expansion, sources say
Multiple sources have told the Dallas Business Journal that Uber is zeroing in on Dallas for an expansion, and that The Epic could be a potential landing spot for its office.

Sources have told the Dallas Business Journal that Uber is closing in on Dallas as the site for its office expansion. Should the San Francisco company opt for Dallas, Deep Ellum is emerging as the likely spot for the office, according to people familiar with the matter.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... allas.html

Unfortunately this is behind a paywall, and I'm not sure how to get around it. Before, I used to be able to use incognito mode or use outline.com, but neither of those options seem to be working for me any more.

Anyway, I doubt there is anything new written here. I really do hope Uber does not let us down!

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 08 Aug 2019 21:19

DPatel304 wrote:
Unfortunately this is behind a paywall, and I'm not sure how to get around it...

I don't know, how about pay.

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Aug 2019 08:30

texasstar wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:
Unfortunately this is behind a paywall, and I'm not sure how to get around it...

hahaha - that's how I got around the Dallas Morning News' paywall!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Aug 2019 08:49

Don't forget what we saw on the Epic thread....

Plat application has been submitted to the city for "Westdale Epic 2". Proposed land use is all commercial.

This is located on the ~2 acre property immediately west of the current construction site. Otherwise bounded by 345, Pacific, and Elm.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 09 Aug 2019 09:51

Here's the DBJ article about Uber posted on WFAA... You can read it free. Article indicates a decision has been pushed back to Fall, but that Uber is meeting with State & Local officials.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/money/busi ... b1ab7582a9

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Aug 2019 09:59

Damn, that's a bummer about the delay. I'm trying not to get too excited. I get that there are strong indicators that they are coming here, but the same happened with Amazon too. I do think this is far more likely than Amazon, but I don't want to get my hopes up just yet.

texasstar wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:

:lol:

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Aug 2019 10:57

The DMN article seems to suggest it's more of a done deal, which would be INCREDIBLE for the area!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Aug 2019 11:03

Ubers financial health has me scared though.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 09 Aug 2019 11:32

Trying not to get my hopes up but this would be huge for downtown, i agree uber's financial health is a big worry and the only thing that really makes me think this thing would get halted or permanetly delayed.

Sounds like they would take all of the epic and the epic 2 which would be amazing.

willyk

Postby willyk » 11 Aug 2019 06:38

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Ubers financial health has me scared though.

Maybe they’ll move the HQ to Dallas to save on CA corporate income tax and take advantage of lower labor costs at the corporate level.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 12 Aug 2019 14:56

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Ubers financial health has me scared though.

I think most of the fear with Uber has to do with the fact that the Media does not like Uber due to past conflicts and typically they only spread stories to make people nervous of the future of this company despite the fact that it's financials seem to make since for a startup company that became the worlds largest taxi service in the matter of 10 years.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Aug 2019 15:07

Thymant wrote:I think most of the fear with Uber has to do with the fact that the Media does not like Uber due to past conflicts and typically they only spread stories to make people nervous of the future of this company despite the fact that it's financials seem to make since for a startup company that became the worlds largest taxi service in the matter of 10 years.

This does not surprise me. The media likes to go after companies on top, which was not unlike all the hate Facebook got not too long ago.

I'm not too worried about the future of Uber. It seems they are banking on autonomous vehicles being their big money maker in the future, so they are willing to take a hit in the short term in order to gain market share.

dallasrookie

Postby dallasrookie » 19 Aug 2019 12:15

https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/2 ... ost-office

Uber Technologies has signed a lease for 463,000 square feet in Chicago’s Old Main Post Office, making it the largest tenant for the revived landmark, the property’s leasing agent said Monday.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Aug 2019 13:44

I assume this doesn't have much to do with Dallas since Chicago was already it's second largest office outside of SF. Sounds like they are just moving to the old Post Office.

dallasrookie

Postby dallasrookie » 20 Aug 2019 12:46

Uber makes it official: It will set up major hub in downtown Dallas by end of year

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/tec ... s-end-year

Uber will hire or relocate about 400 employees to Dallas by the end of the year, said Chris Miller, senior manager of public policy in Texas. It will move into a tower on the edge of downtown Dallas in July 2020 and then into a taller tower on the same site about two years later.

Most of Uber’s Dallas employees will work in finance, human resources and sales, Miller said. They will support the company’s transportation-related businesses, including ride-sharing, food delivery and the development of urban air taxis.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Aug 2019 13:21

This may very well be the first of several similar big moves into the downtown area. Suburbs are popular, uber-popular in North Texas, but the downtown vibe is too, and in North Texas Dallas has finally reached the point of desirability. Arts Scene is established, healthy and expanding; livable environment and infrastructure is in place and popular and expanding; the desire of North Texas residents to have a strong, bustling big city downtown is as plentiful as fossil fuel in the Permian Basin. It's time.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Aug 2019 14:03

If Uber survives its current troubles. I am positive about it don't get me wrong but if they don't find a stable way forward they may never occupy the second building.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 20 Aug 2019 14:55

Huge for Downtown and Deep Ellum

eburress

Postby eburress » 20 Aug 2019 16:16

^^ That, all of central Dallas, and the entire region! The Epic is 10ish minutes from my Knox Henderson 'hood, which is one of a host of in-town areas, like Oak Cliff, Uptown, the Cedars, Design District, Oak Lawn, etc, I can imagine Uber home shoppers considering.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Aug 2019 17:11

Need to give this one some time to sink in. Uber is an Epic addition!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 20 Aug 2019 22:32

Let's hope Uber gets their shite together!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Aug 2019 10:10

It's an American Household name company setting up a significant office in Downtown. Keep in mind this won't be the lead executives or the coding team but sales and other more traditional office positions but still good-paying jobs.

Also, do we think Uber was also looking at the land around City Hall aka the Smart District? I doubt they were only talking to one developer in Dallas before they narrowed choices.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 10 Sep 2019 11:22

Bluebeam, Inc. Leases 20K SF in Uptown to Establish A Regional Office in Dallas
By Cushman Wakefield, 09-04-19

Bluebeam Inc., a leading construction software company, is expanding into North Texas by establishing a regional office in Uptown Dallas. The company is leasing 20,472 square feet (sf) in One McKinney, a 15-story, Class A office and retail building located at 3232 McKinney Ave.
“Bluebeam recognized that Dallas was a key area for expansion and an important base for regional growth, particularly because of our business environment and talent pool, which make it attractive for a fast-growing tech firm,” Baty said. “They wanted a beautiful office space in a walkable location where they can attract a young workforce. Bluebeam immediately fell in love with the Uptown submarket as the premier location for their office and, ultimately they decided on One McKinney. The convenient location and abundance of nearby amenities is crucial to recruit and retain talent as they continue to expand their operations and presence in Dallas in the coming years.”
“Bluebeam’s new office in Dallas follows a familiar trend that we are seeing in the growing tech industry in North Texas,” Baty said. “Dallas is ranked as a top city for net tech employment and net tech employment gains, as we see tech firms coming from other key areas of the country, including California, New York and Washington, to plant a stake in North Texas.”

http://cushwakedallas.com/bluebeam-inc-leases-20k-sf-in-uptown-to-expand-local-presence-in-dallas/

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 12 Sep 2019 08:59

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... erica.html

Mclaren moving HQ from manhattan to Coppell