tamtagon
Site Admin

Museum of Nature and Science

Postby tamtagon » 02 Mar 2017 09:05

http://www.dallasnews.com/arts/museums/ ... me-new-ceo

Perot Museum turns to 'the right person at the right time' as its new CEO

Michael Granberry, Dallas Morning News
March 1, 2017

Linda Abraham-Silver, 47, whose most recent employer was the government of Abu Dhabi, for which she spearheaded science and technology initiatives, is the new CEO of the downtown Dallas museum.... Abraham-Silver is not the only new player at the Perot. Its board chairman since October is Hernan J.F. Saenz III, 46

[Saenz] ties to the Hispanic community give him something in common with Agustín Arteaga, the new director of the Dallas Museum of Art. Saenz is bilingual and has instituted a policy whereby new or "refreshed" exhibits at the Perot carry bilingual content. "If you simply look at the demographics of our city, we have a very large Hispanic population," he said. "If we're the city's museum, we're everyone's museum."
The next phase for the Perot, he said, is more external than internal, with Abraham-Silver tasked with what happens "outside these walls."

Want I want to hear about the Museum is that instead of join work on a expansion of KWPark via giant parking garage and 'interesting' ramp to the Nature & Science Museum, an effort has begun to buy all or part of The NorthEnd Apartments.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas-c ... /300049561

Tnexster

Re: Museum of Nature and Science

Postby Tnexster » 02 Mar 2017 11:32

I don't mind the extensions or the park expansion I just hate the parking concept.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 02 Mar 2017 12:26

The ramp certainly could become Katy Trail access, through Victory Park.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Mar 2017 14:05

Perot needs to expand its science exhibits. Add a planetarium in there.

willyk

Postby willyk » 05 Mar 2017 03:30

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Perot needs to expand its science exhibits. Add a planetarium in there.

And add a real Dallas Aquarium.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Mar 2017 09:30

With two in town and one a stones throw away I doubt the management will seek to waste money on a third inland aquarium in Dallas.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

willyk

Postby willyk » 08 Mar 2017 22:04

Neither of the existing aquaria is remotely close to the caliber of the modern ones most other cities have.

E.g. New Orleans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarium_of_the_Americas

It's a glaring deficiency for a wannabe world class city like Dallas.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Mar 2017 08:22

Sorry just not interested in these "world class" cities standard that everyone makes up all the time when their favorite pet project hasn't come to fruition. Talk about Museum Tower, Trinity River Parks, Arts District etc. All pet projects we need to be "world class" yet we can not pay for any of it in the form that some consider world class appropriate. Is there a World Class Commission we can apply for sanctuary from the clutches of our own economic hindrances? Maybe we can create said World Class Congress and fund and build their HQ in Downtown with future bond funds and a wealthy donor to slap their name on it for a small fee.

If someone doesn't see the potential for a large inland aquarium in Dallas and doesn't want to invest in such an enterprise I am not worried that our place on the podium is threatened.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Mar 2017 08:50

^a counter balance to the absence of a "world class" aquarium in North Texas is the presence of two highly regarded zoos, two highly regarded botanical gardens, two highly regarded Art museum districts, two nice natural history facilities.... so I wouldn't call the absence a glaring deficiency when the stack is compared to the other wannabe world class cities, simply a missing item in the array. Atlanta has a world class aquarium well positioned in an urban tourist mega-destination: basketball stadium, football stadium, aquarium, Civil Rights Museum, World of Coke, College Football Hall of Fame.... it's all right there, accessible by passenger train!!! But Atlanta does not have a museum, botanical garden or natural history museum anywhere near the level of quality suggested by the size of the population center.

I would much rather see the learning oriented aquatic experience in Fair Park grow to the touted world class level. The aquarium in Atlanta has a gigantic tank, and they've tried to keeps whale sharks and at least one species of whale on display--- but they keep dying. I hate that probably almost as much as the boosters hate the bad publicity. We want to see the interesting, curious beautiful creatures... but the animals should not be suffering.

Anyway, the Perot Museum of Nature and Science certainly needs an expansion with an some actual parkland too boot so the content/experience matches it's ego. $50 million buys those apartments, builds a park and puts a down payment on additional display, exhibition, interaction facility by a Pritzker Prize winner.

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Mar 2017 08:51

I actually really dig our aquarium as it is. Kinda cool that it's tucked into the CBD the way it is, yet once your inside, you'd hardly notice it. I just wish we could get some development in the neighboring parking lots to provide supplemental entertainment.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 09 Mar 2017 08:59

I actually really like the uniqueness of the Dallas World Aquarium. It's pretty different from any other major aquarium I've ever been to, which all have a 'sameness' about them. That one in New Orleans for example I've been to in the past 15 years and can't recall a thing about it.

Also agree the one in Fair Park is a hidden gem for little children, and should probably be expanded one day.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jun 2017 09:31

Does fracking still have a glowing, healthy installation at this museum?

Maybe the hospitals, health care schools and pharmaceutical players around town can open a Museum of Health and Science, with installations showing the impact of fossil fuel industries on public health.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2017 09:58

Considering they get checks aka donations from the energy sector I doubt such a thing would be pursued.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jun 2017 10:21

^Oh Sure.

On that note, maybe they can get The Ark Encounter to relocate to Victory Park.

https://arkencounter.com/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2017 11:49

Can we park that closer to the Trinity so when the Trinity Tollway floods we can let the cars on two by two?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jun 2017 12:01

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Can we park that closer to the Trinity so when the Trinity Tollway floods we can let the cars on two by two?

hahahaha :lol:

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 16 Aug 2017 08:41

The_Overdog wrote:I actually really like the uniqueness of the Dallas World Aquarium. It's pretty different from any other major aquarium I've ever been to, which all have a 'sameness' about them. That one in New Orleans for example I've been to in the past 15 years and can't recall a thing about it.

Also agree the one in Fair Park is a hidden gem for little children, and should probably be expanded one day.

I agree - rather than spend money on a new aquarium i would rather see the city help the Dallas World Aquarium create an Aquarium Park and Entry into the DWA in the parking lot directly infront of the DWA.