Homelessness

itsjrd1964

Re: Homelessness

Postby itsjrd1964 » 11 Oct 2018 05:01

Mayor Mike Rawlings, others hail opening of new $6M homeless facility in northwest Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... est-dallas

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Nov 2018 12:38

DMN editorial: Money can’t solve homelessness, but the $20m Dallas is kicking in can change the conversation

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edit ... nversation

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 11 Dec 2018 22:16

AT&T takes on homelessness at its Dallas doorstep with money, manpower

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/att ... s-doorstep

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Jan 2019 04:14

North Texas shelters prepare to take in homeless during freezing weather

http://www.fox4news.com/news/north-texa ... ng-weather

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Mar 2019 13:16

In Northwest Dallas, neighbors fight the Salvation Army's plans for big new homelessness center

The Salvation Army is looking at a 20-acre site on I-35E between Regal Row and Empire Central to move its homeless center operations. Neighbors are quite concerned. The new center would house about the same number (~700) of homeless as the current Carr P. Collins Center does. Meanwhile, UT Southwestern has offered to acquire the land where the Carr P. Collins Center is located. The 20-acre lot on Stemmons has to be re-zoned first, and the City Council has not decided on that yet.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... ess-center

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Mar 2019 13:42

If the Salvation Army's $95M homeless center can't be built here, it can't be built anywhere

The DMN editorializes the proposal by the Salvation Army.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/edit ... t-anywhere

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 08 Mar 2019 01:52

Salvation Army's $95 million, 20-acre NW Dallas campus for homeless clears first hurdle

The full City Council consideration comes in May. Will be interesting to see if they concur, or kick the can.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... rst-hurdle

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Mar 2019 18:54

What would Jesus do?

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 11 Mar 2019 09:16

tamtagon wrote:What would Jesus do?

According to the GOP, he would make sure that Trump got elected.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 23 Apr 2020 17:01

Got this from the Arts District/Flora thread: "The city has written off the downtown library. It exists now only as a homeless campground. Have you been by it lately? They have to keep cops stationed in front of it 24/7."

Yes, I have noticed. Why is the library the main hangout, is it because of the computer resources and public restrooms? I know it's more complicated than this, but why not provide that somewhere else? I'd be curious to know the stats on who the regular library patrons are. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but apart from the homelessness, if the library just stayed clean, added some landscaping, and promoted some of their cool historical Dallas stuff, they'd be fine for the time being. Add a coffee shop, and areas to read/lounge... you basically have a better Half Price Books experience.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Nov 2020 13:01

IDK if anyone has heard, but in the past couple of weeks, I ran across development plans for a new replacement for the Austin Street Center homeless shelter. I had no idea they were wanting to do this. The new complex will be much bigger, housing 100 more than before who need shelter. Those who head up Austin Street have been trying to raise funds for the new center, and are almost at their goal. There is an almost-empty block west of Austin Street's current shelter, and south of CitySquare. I thought that CitySquare was trying to get that block for more housing, but apparently it's Austin Street instead. The new complex won't take up the whole block, though. According to the website, client amenities will include:

* Larger, modern intake/waiting area
* Dedicated dining area space#
* Completely separate men's and women's sleeping areas
* Larger bathrooms and dedicated showers for men and women#
* Dedicated medical respite space for men and women#
* Laundry spaces for men and women#
* Computer lab space for training and classes
* Mental health counseling space#
* Much larger case management space and service
* Much larger, professional/commercial kitchen space#
# -- current shelter doesn't have or isn't adequate

I did ask someone on Facebook (she's either with the group heading up the Center or has other close knowledge) about the current facilities' fate after the new complex opens. She said there hasn't been a determination about the current shelter building, nor a separate building across Hickory that they also have. Austin Street's chapel will remain in its current spot (around the corner from the current shelter, and across from the new one), and their New Hope garden (where they now grow veggies and other produce for the Center's kitchen) will remain (adjacent to the Chapel, to the north) as well.

Quite the ambitious project, but very much needed. It looks to be much bigger, better, and more useful than their current space (which I am all-too-familiar with). Construction is due to start next year, with completion sometime in 2023.

https://www.austinstreet.org/campaign/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 10 Dec 2020 04:17

The city of Dallas has acquired 2 hotels to house those needing to quarantine from the coronavirus, but will covert them later into homeless housing. One location is a Candlewood Suites at Preston/Bush Turnpike (a historically poor hotel location (it's been at least 2-3 other brands previously) with almost no visibility from either approach) and another called Hotel Miramar on Fort Worth Ave.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus ... s/2501295/

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 15 Dec 2020 23:49

Great that they're doing this (and wow, that candlewood suites really is in a terrible location for visibility.)

The main negative that I see here is that neither of these locations appear to be close to any sort of rail transit.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 18 Dec 2020 02:02

homeworld1031tx wrote:Great that they're doing this (and wow, that candlewood suites really is in a terrible location for visibility.)

The main negative that I see here is that neither of these locations appear to be close to any sort of rail transit.

I don't remember the bus availability along Fort Worth Ave., but the #350 on the part of Preston that crosses the Bush Turnpike is better during the week than on weekends (only part of the day Saturday, nothing on Sunday). The #350 does end up at Parker Road station (Red/Orange line there) and at Addison Transit Center the other direction (transfer to #402 westbound to downtown Carrollton for the Green line; Silver line service in Addison when completed).

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Dec 2020 06:06

I've become acquainted with many homeless and near homeless people, and quite a few would need help getting on the right bus to go a couple miles and help getting on back.... most really have no need to travel more than a mile from their bedding. I've learned there's little need for public transportation among the homeless population, at least in my community.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 18 Dec 2020 21:13

When I was in a shelter, there were some who had a day DART pass (not always easy to get; some places like the case management office at CitySquare didn't always have them), a few who would give a sob story to a bus driver (including various excuses) to get on, some were trying to get just far enough to the nearest light rail station (usually that would be Baylor station), and the rest were sitting around at the bus stop or walking somewhere.

If someone were actually fortunate enough to get a job (like me) prior to being able to leave the shelter, a day DART pass wouldn't be enough to get around regularly. I was able to get help for a monthly DART pass from an out-of-town cousin.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 23 Jan 2021 04:06

CitySquare, a local non-profit social service organization, is in the works to start its second housing project. The Lomax housing project will be located across from CitySquare's Opportunity Center at Malcolm X/Louise. It will be on a site that was previously an almost-century-old Magnolia gas station, as well as 2 old boarded-up wood-frame homes. The project will use repurposed shipping containers as apartments; this is a different approach than what was done at the Cottages at Hickory Crossing complex (also located across from CitySquare), which used individually-built small homes for chronically homeless people. There will be 19 units at Lomax, and each will average about 300 square feet. It doesn't sound like much, but it would be better than what most homeless have now. Other complexes are planned by CitySquare nearby and in other areas of the city.

https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-re ... g-project/

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 23 Jan 2021 12:18

Thanks for the update. I was out running in the evening this past week and I saw very few homeless out. They put up a barricade (with some design features on it) surrounding the old Iron Cactus patio and that has really helped visually clean up Pegasus Plaza. Main Street Garden, which is usually a homeless hangout, was pretty clean too.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 23 Jan 2021 15:20

itsjrd1964 wrote:CitySquare, a local non-profit social service organization, is in the works to start its second housing project. The Lomax housing project will be located across from CitySquare's Opportunity Center at Malcolm X/Louise. It will be on a site that was previously an almost-century-old Magnolia gas station, as well as 2 old boarded-up wood-frame homes. The project will use repurposed shipping containers as apartments; this is a different approach than what was done at the Cottages at Hickory Crossing complex (also located across from CitySquare), which used individually-built small homes for chronically homeless people. There will be 19 units at Lomax, and each will average about 300 square feet. It doesn't sound like much, but it would be better than what most homeless have now. Other complexes are planned by CitySquare nearby and in other areas of the city.

They should not be promoting this as affordable housing. They are $906/month and 300 square feet, so over $3/sqft per month. That is at the level of places like AMLI Fountain Place.....

It is a cool building approach to affordable housing, but should be renting for $500-600 max to be considered affordable housing of this size. There are plenty of full 1 bedroom units in 1950s-1980s garden apartment complexes in Dallas renting for ~$700, in safer areas than this too. If they are using this development to rent to upper income professionals who want tiny houses and using the money to support their other efforts, then fine, but nothing about this development qualifies as affordable housing.

If this concept can be duplicated en masse to rent safe, new, ~300sqft microunits to low income singles and couples for $500-600 or less, I'm all for something like that. Even at $600, that's $2/sqft, easily on par with average new build donut apartments.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 23 Jan 2021 23:01

A Dallas city council committee will be briefed as to latest homeless data, which will presented broken down by race. The report will convey how certain racial groups are more affected by homelessness than others. It will be presented Monday morning.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/dalla ... t/2533766/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Feb 2021 13:31

Ch.5 talks to the head of The Bridge about the level of homelessness for blacks and what the organization sees as solutions, even with the presence of the coronavirus.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/black-histo ... y/2539470/

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 05 Feb 2021 16:32

itsjrd1964 wrote:CitySquare, a local non-profit social service organization, is in the works to start its second housing project. The Lomax housing project will be located across from CitySquare's Opportunity Center at Malcolm X/Louise. It will be on a site that was previously an almost-century-old Magnolia gas station, as well as 2 old boarded-up wood-frame homes. The project will use repurposed shipping containers as apartments; this is a different approach than what was done at the Cottages at Hickory Crossing complex (also located across from CitySquare), which used individually-built small homes for chronically homeless people. There will be 19 units at Lomax, and each will average about 300 square feet. It doesn't sound like much, but it would be better than what most homeless have now. Other complexes are planned by CitySquare nearby and in other areas of the city.

Just a tentative timeframe follow-up:

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021008816

Code: Select all

Project Name:
City Square Housing
Project Number:
TABS2021008816
Facility Name:
LoMax
Location Address:
1701 S. Malcom X Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75226
Location County:
Dallas
Start Date:
4/1/2021
Completion Date:
12/1/2021
Estimated Cost:
$2,400,000
Type of Work:
New Construction
Type of Funds:
This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work:
Two-story structure comprised of 22 pre-fabricated shipping containers for multi-family residential use. One container on the ground floor will serve as a common unit for the residents.
Square Footage:
7,000 ft 2

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Feb 2021 10:31

So people who don't have homes are also going to need parking for a car they might get further down the line? Wouldn't it be smarter to promote a transportation share program of some sort, reduce the number of parking spots, move the building closer to the sidewalk, create a bigger yard in the back for relaxation for residents with outdoor community spaces since their own units will be very tight as is.

I am not saying we prevent people who are getting back on their feet from purchasing or from having car access but for the sake of smarter planning for even their residents wouldn't it be better to promote transportation that scales up with some ones rebuilding their lives. I guess they are targeting people who may have only recently been made homeless and may already still have a car but just needs a little help keeping from becoming entirely homeless. Def seems like a very good conversation about cars costs vs access to good paying jobs by way of roads, highways or transportation in general.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Aug 2021 09:49

Unanimous Dallas Approval of Big Homeless Housing Plan

Many area cities, including Dallas, as well as Dallas County, are putting together more than $70 million for a new push to overcome much of the local homeless situation. Three Dallas-area hotels and motels have already been purchased to house homeless--after being used to isolate Covid patients. Around 2700 are expected to be recipients of the assistance provided by the funds.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/unani ... n/2727183/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Oct 2021 15:25

Lake Highlands Says ‘Yes In My Backyard’ to Urban Farm and Affordable Housing Project

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... g-project/

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 06 Oct 2021 16:35

itsjrd1964 wrote:Unanimous Dallas Approval of Big Homeless Housing Plan

Many area cities, including Dallas, as well as Dallas County, are putting together more than $70 million for a new push to overcome much of the local homeless situation. Three Dallas-area hotels and motels have already been purchased to house homeless--after being used to isolate Covid patients. Around 2700 are expected to be recipients of the assistance provided by the funds.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/unani ... n/2727183/

And the politicians and do-gooders will pretend to be surprised when the result is even more panhandlers, vagrants and "homeless" on the streets.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 06 Oct 2021 19:21

My understanding of the homelessness issue is that you need both shelter and services (for the mentally ill and substance issues, et al) to start resolving it. I know DDI is already doing one-on-one help with their task force in downtown connecting the homeless with family or housing. Besides that, what else can be done? I'm not trying to be snarky at all btw. Long term solutions IMO would be a better education at the beginning or job/trade skills training after high school.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 06 Oct 2021 21:44

mdg109 wrote:My understanding of the homelessness issue is that you need both shelter and services (for the mentally ill and substance issues, et al) to start resolving it.

Name one U.S. city that has "solved" homelessness.

Not all problems have solutions.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Oct 2021 09:03

Just like not all services in cities can be privatized. Some issues are just constant money pits and you have to keep evolving the way you spend the money on those issues as you learn better ways to try to solve it. We used to think homeless was just some lazy people or someone who made a one time mistake. Now we know its more than that.

It reminds me many city services like homelessness need evolution on how we approach the problems they were initially created to solve.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 07 Oct 2021 18:50

^True. Also, didn't meant to imply that homelessness will ever get resolved in the US or anywhere for that matter. Was just trying to say that it seemed like a start at improving the situation based on what I've read.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Dec 2021 12:25

Dallas startup using app to connect homeless job seekers with work

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... dee657c887

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 20 Mar 2022 01:21

One of the largest shelters in Dallas is about to get an expansion

Austin Street Center, one of the major Dallas homeless facilities, is putting together a much bigger, much better replacement. Its new home, on part of a largely-vacant block west of Austin Street's current shelter, will open in a few weeks. The replacement facility will be the first all-new one that Austin Street has ever had. The new location's construction has been funded entirely by private donations--no taxpayer money or other city/state/federal funds. There will be almost twice the capacity for those seeking shelter in the new facility. A separate dining hall will be one of the new amenities; those who've sheltered at the current Austin Street had to eat at their cots during meal times. Many other additions in the new center will include larger restrooms, separate men's/women's showers, laundry rooms, on-site medical respite rooms, a full commercial-style kitchen, in-house classrooms with computers for training classes, room for more case managers as well as dedicated space to meet with shelter clients, a boardroom for shelter executives, and a larger inflow and storage area for donated items. A chapel and a vegetable garden, which have been part of the current campus, will be retained. No word has come as to the fate of the current shelter building, as well as an office/classroom building on another block.

This will be a vast improvement for Austin Street, and for Dallas. Even with this, much more homeless support is needed.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... fea990cf5b