Page 1 of 1

The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 03 Dec 2016 09:32
by warden62
I know this news is a few days old...

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2016/11/29/h-e-b-will-open-two-central-market-stores-dallas

I have to say, I'm not surprised that HEB still has zero plans to plant a non-CM store as part of these purchases. Hopefully CM will sell that new Luby's mac and cheese :lol:

Ryan
--
When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 08 Dec 2016 09:59
by warden62
Looks like Tom Thumb is ready to open up new locations in the Fresh Market stores they bought:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2016/12/07/tom-thumb-reopening-3-fresh-market-stores-purchased

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 12 Dec 2016 09:59
by Tnexster
Why HEB, Whole Foods should be terrified by Amazon's new grocery concept

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... azons.html

Customers scan the Amazon Go app on their smartphone as they enter the store. The company spent four years developing "just walk out" technology, which detects when items are picked up or returned to shelves and "keeps track of them in a virtual cart," Amazon said. There's no checkout line — just leave the store with your groceries, and Amazon will charge your account.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 07 Feb 2017 10:05
by Tnexster
Central Market slims down hopes for a North Texas H-E-B will sale of two properties

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... texas.html

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 08 May 2017 22:16
by Tnexster
LIDL is opening a store in Southwest Dallas, across from the new Wal-Mart at Cedar Ridge and Wheatland.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ores-texas

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 09 May 2017 08:38
by warden62
Tnexster wrote:LIDL is opening a store in Southwest Dallas, across from the new Wal-Mart at Cedar Ridge and Wheatland.


Do you mean across from the new Walgreens in Duncanville?

Is this Aldi/Lidl thing going to be like Walgreens/CVS having to be across the street from each other?

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 09 May 2017 10:47
by Tnexster
^Sorry, I meant Clark Road and Wheatland. Apparently this still needs council approval but I would not expect that to be a problem. LIDL is apparently making an aggressive move into Texas. I would expect more stores to be announced.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 11 May 2017 09:43
by Tnexster
German grocer Lidl is quietly buying up land in North Texas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... northtexas

Dallas District 3 City Councilman Casey Thomas posted on his Facebook page recently that the Summit Parc area in his southwest Dallas district "will get the first Lidl grocery store in Texas." He talked about it at a community meeting earlier this week.

Central Market in Bishop Arts?

Posted: 22 Aug 2017 19:18
by warden62

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 23 Aug 2017 08:12
by cowboyeagle05
Yeah, they bought the land Crescent had already marketed to a potential grocer. The problem is HEB/CM is not ready to build anything at the Albertsons site in the West Village or this site. The numbers are certainly improving in Oak Lawn but I doubt we are talking a build starting within the next year or two. HEB seems to be making land grabs since the grocery market is so competitive right now. Not that they aren't serious about building something at some point but they would rather slow their competitors down by taking easy builds off the market.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 23 Aug 2017 08:15
by tamtagon
They'll probably start building a warehouse before store location announcements, for HEB I guess. That's how they took Houston, I think....

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 23 Aug 2017 09:31
by lakewoodhobo
cowboyeagle05 wrote:HEB seems to be making land grabs since the grocery market is so competitive right now. Not that they aren't serious about building something at some point but they would rather slow their competitors down by taking easy builds off the market.


I agree that it's strategic at this point, but one thing I kept hearing was that both Zang/Davis and Colorado Place (Fort Worth Ave) were being considered by CM, so what's stopping a competitor from taking the other location, especially now that CM has staked a claim for itself in Oak Cliff?

Another name that keeps popping us is Sprouts having an interest in Colorado and Beckley, where El Fenix is currently. I don't see that as an easy transaction and hope they just take the Colorado Place site.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 25 Aug 2017 08:33
by cowboyeagle05
lakewoodhobo wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:HEB seems to be making land grabs since the grocery market is so competitive right now. Not that they aren't serious about building something at some point but they would rather slow their competitors down by taking easy builds off the market.


I agree that it's strategic at this point, but one thing I kept hearing was that both Zang/Davis and Colorado Place (Fort Worth Ave) were being considered by CM, so what's stopping a competitor from taking the other location, especially now that CM has staked a claim for itself in Oak Cliff?

Another name that keeps popping us is Sprouts having an interest in Colorado and Beckley, where El Fenix is currently. I don't see that as an easy transaction and hope they just take the Colorado Place site.


Haha yes, I am not surprised they were shopping around but my answer is simply they bought what they perceived as the best site. They know they can't stop every competitor from building but they can grab the best site for them and keep competitors from grabbing it first. This site was being marketed as a grocery store site so it's not surprising that they saw the value in being so close to Bishop Arts.

I just read the article in the DMN this morning that talks about the West Village site and CM is simply stating that it's taking longer than expected to move out of Phase 1 development of a store for that site. Sounds like the landowner is having trouble coming to an agreement with CM on the best use for that site.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 25 Aug 2017 09:37
by lakewoodhobo
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I just read the article in the DMN this morning that talks about the West Village site and CM is simply stating that it's taking longer than expected to move out of Phase 1 development of a store for that site. Sounds like the landowner is having trouble coming to an agreement with CM on the best use for that site.


Definitely worth posting what the DMN said about Uptown Central Market.

The land under the Uptown store that Central Market purchased is owned by a limited partnership that also owns the land under the Walgreens across the street. The properties are managed by a Florida company that didn’t return a request for comment. However, Butt addressed the process.

“Though very early in the development phase, Central Market is exploring options with our landlord for the best use of this choice location,” Butt said. “We are taking time to design a Central Market that will showcase a fantastic customer experience.”

Butt called the Uptown location “a rare opportunity to combine a great shopping experience like Central Market with such a powerful retail location.” He said the company is committed to the Uptown location “bringing the most exciting food journey” to Dallas, but it’s going to take more time.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... pened-tell


So how does that work? Did CM buy the property or a portion of the property? How do they have a landlord?

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 25 Aug 2017 10:53
by tamtagon
I want to be giddy about the possibilities, but I don't want to be disappointed either....

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 25 Aug 2017 12:35
by Tivo_Kenevil
tamtagon wrote:I want to be giddy about the possibilities, but I don't want to be disappointed either....


The Uptown Locale definitely needs to be mixed use high rise.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 25 Aug 2017 14:01
by cowboyeagle05
lakewoodhobo wrote:
So how does that work? Did CM buy the property or a portion of the property? How do they have a landlord?


Most likely they bought the land lease from the previous owner aka SunFresh Market. The lease permits them to have a grocery store on the site most likely in the current building. CM wants to change what the building is so I am sure the landowner wants to make sure what CM builds brings him the highest value. Lord knows if the Florida owner sold the property to another developer they would throw up apartments in a quick second.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 16 Apr 2018 09:14
by lakewoodhobo
Nothing terribly exciting here, but it does mention that the Walmart Market at 2305 N. Central Expressway is getting another remodel.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... store.html

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 23 Apr 2018 10:40
by lakewoodhobo
Looks like the first order of business after California-based Bodega Latina Corp acquired Fiesta Mart was to close a few stores. Over the weekend I noticed that Fiesta on Hampton and Singleton shut down. This is concerning for West Dallas which is extremely underserved by grocery chains.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 03 Jul 2018 14:15
by cowboyeagle05
Why do you think Trader Joes has not further expanded in Dallas?

They have four locations in Dallas. Three in the suburbs and one in Fort Worth. They seem to do well in well to do areas where their target market is but are they out of spots with good density of their targeted market? Or are they just not that aggressive on the Dallas market? Their brand seems to be popular and their model fits well in urban areas that are revitalizing but it seems like they could fit into a few other areas well.

I don't anticipate seeing them in Oak Cliff until more demographics down there change but that definitely seems like there future. I would have hoped for a Downtown location but that still seems far off for now until more residential comes down the line for the Cedars/Lamar/CBD and Deep Ellum.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 03 Jul 2018 14:44
by exelone31
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Why do you think Trader Joes has not further expanded in Dallas?

They have four locations in Dallas. Three in the suburbs and one in Fort Worth. They seem to do well in well to do areas where their target market is but are they out of spots with good density of their targeted market? Or are they just not that aggressive on the Dallas market? Their brand seems to be popular and their model fits well in urban areas that are revitalizing but it seems like they could fit into a few other areas well.

I don't anticipate seeing them in Oak Cliff until more demographics down there change but that definitely seems like there future. I would have hoped for a Downtown location but that still seems far off for now until more residential comes down the line for the Cedars/Lamar/CBD and Deep Ellum.


There's a large space in the Richardson Heights shopping center that I've often thought would be perfect for a Trader Joe's. With Downtown Richardson on the opposite side of 75 being revamped over the next couple years, that area could potentially get even more bustling.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 06 Jul 2018 09:33
by lakewoodhobo
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I don't anticipate seeing them in Oak Cliff until more demographics down there change but that definitely seems like there future. I would have hoped for a Downtown location but that still seems far off for now until more residential comes down the line for the Cedars/Lamar/CBD and Deep Ellum.


This is why I thought West Commerce or Ft Worth Ave would be a great fit for them: they would capture the Kessler/granola Oak Cliff demographic plus West Dallas, downtown, and maybe even a small portion of Uptown. I do have a feeling that they expanded too quickly and just need to get caught up before taking another look.

I think a lot about the Starbucks on Westmoreland and Illinois Ave that opened around 2007 and closed around 2009. Of course it was an awful time for the economy but I also think that location was way too far from their demographic. Even now, 10 years later, I wouldn't look west of Hampton Rd for a big brand like Starbucks or Trader Joe's in Oak Cliff and W Dallas.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 06 Jul 2018 11:16
by anon
lakewoodhobo wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I don't anticipate seeing them in Oak Cliff until more demographics down there change but that definitely seems like there future. I would have hoped for a Downtown location but that still seems far off for now until more residential comes down the line for the Cedars/Lamar/CBD and Deep Ellum.


This is why I thought West Commerce or Ft Worth Ave would be a great fit for them: they would capture the Kessler/granola Oak Cliff demographic plus West Dallas, downtown, and maybe even a small portion of Uptown. I do have a feeling that they expanded too quickly and just need to get caught up before taking another look.

I think a lot about the Starbucks on Westmoreland and Illinois Ave that opened around 2007 and closed around 2009. Of course it was an awful time for the economy but I also think that location was way too far from their demographic. Even now, 10 years later, I wouldn't look west of Hampton Rd for a big brand like Starbucks or Trader Joe's in Oak Cliff and W Dallas.


The Starbucks off of Cockrell Hill and I30 does pretty well, and it's west of Hampton Rd.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 06 Jul 2018 12:02
by lakewoodhobo
anon wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I don't anticipate seeing them in Oak Cliff until more demographics down there change but that definitely seems like there future. I would have hoped for a Downtown location but that still seems far off for now until more residential comes down the line for the Cedars/Lamar/CBD and Deep Ellum.


This is why I thought West Commerce or Ft Worth Ave would be a great fit for them: they would capture the Kessler/granola Oak Cliff demographic plus West Dallas, downtown, and maybe even a small portion of Uptown. I do have a feeling that they expanded too quickly and just need to get caught up before taking another look.

I think a lot about the Starbucks on Westmoreland and Illinois Ave that opened around 2007 and closed around 2009. Of course it was an awful time for the economy but I also think that location was way too far from their demographic. Even now, 10 years later, I wouldn't look west of Hampton Rd for a big brand like Starbucks or Trader Joe's in Oak Cliff and W Dallas.


The Starbucks off of Cockrell Hill and I30 does pretty well, and it's west of Hampton Rd.


I was this close to qualifying my statement with "not counting any shopping centers along I-30," just forgot to.

But of course you're right.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 04 Aug 2018 09:05
by warden62
Some reflections on the Albertson's at Mockingbird and Abrams...

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2018/0 ... s-curious/

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 07 Aug 2018 16:04
by lakewoodhobo
After Royal Blue opening, downtown Dallas eager for more grocery options
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... ry-options

I didn't know about the proposed grocery store at Ross and Griffin.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 29 Nov 2018 11:52
by lakewoodhobo
Albertsons in Grand Prairie and Tom Thumb in Irving to close
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... y-closings

I'm not really interested in this story except for what it may mean for stores closer to home. We're still waiting to feel the effects of La Bodega/El Super buying Fiesta, for example. This week I heard a rumor that Kroger in Wynnewood Village will close because they can't afford the rent hike coming due to renovations at the shopping center.

If that rumor turns out to be true, it's likely not due to a rent hike but maybe another grocery store approached them offering a better deal. Sprouts has been rumored to be kicking the tires in Oak Cliff, so we'll see what happens.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 19 Dec 2018 22:56
by Jasimm
Eataly Chairman confirms a Dallas location opening possibily Spring 2019

"From the first Eataly that opened in Turin in January 2007 by founder Oscar Farinetti, the company has been steadily expanding with units around the world. Guerra underscored the openings in Las Vegas at the end of the month, followed by venues in Toronto, Dallas and San Jose, Calif., starting from the spring. “We are also in advanced negotiations for three to four additional stores in the U.S.,” he revealed, adding that the U.S. is the company’s second market in terms of sales volumes."


https://wwd.com/eye/lifestyle/experienc ... 202935694/

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 19 Dec 2018 22:59
by DPatel304
Wow that is really soon. Nice find, by the way!

So if they are planning to open soon, we can assume they are taking over an existing space, and not anchoring some sort of new development. I'm pretty sure it was rumored, a while ago, that they might possibly come to one of the proposed developments near Cityplace.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 19 Dec 2018 23:14
by Matt777
Amazing news and I’m gonna be there all the time, but where and how are they going to get this open by Sprong 2019???? I guess it’s not going in that new development at 75 and Haskell. Exciting nonetheless.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 20 Dec 2018 11:07
by Tucy
I'm not sure we should be reading that as meaning that the Dallas location will open in Spring 2019. I think it should be read to mean that they have plans for locations in Toronto, Dallas and San Jose, the first of which (Toronto) will open this spring.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 20 Dec 2018 12:53
by Jbarn
Also, I am wondering if when they say “Dallas”, that actually means Dallas, or are they referring to the metro area? I could see this going to Legacy or some new development in Frisco.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 20 Dec 2018 13:23
by exelone31
Jbarn wrote:Also, I am wondering if when they say “Dallas”, that actually means Dallas, or are they referring to the metro area? I could see this going to Legacy or some new development in Frisco.


Was the space that was supposed to house Dean and Deluca at Legacy West filled? I'm not sure if it matches at all size-wise, but might be something that's further along and ready to move into.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 20 Dec 2018 13:34
by DPatel304
Jbarn wrote:Also, I am wondering if when they say “Dallas”, that actually means Dallas, or are they referring to the metro area? I could see this going to Legacy or some new development in Frisco.


Yeah, I was wondering that too. If they are opening in Spring 2019, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them opening somewhere in the suburbs instead. Are there any spots left in Legacy West, because that feels like the only area popular enough to warrant an Eataly.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 20 Dec 2018 15:58
by Cbdallas
Eataly going to the burbs would be very painful I hope that does not happen.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 10 Jan 2019 00:41
by Jasimm
Checking in on some new retail lease maps of Oak Cliff Bishop Arts and noticed that a new Royal Blue Grocery (logo appears at Davis & Llewellyn) might be in the works just down the street from the proposed Central Market.

Anyone heard anything about an Oak Cliff location? That would make 4 in DFW (HP Village, 2 Downtown, and then this one)
Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.32.29 PM.png

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 10 Jan 2019 09:17
by ericthegardener
Jasimm wrote:Checking in on some new retail lease maps of Oak Cliff Bishop Arts and noticed that a new Royal Blue Grocery (logo appears at Davis & Llewellyn) might be in the works just down the street from the proposed Central Market.


Is that the former Bolsa Mercado location?

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 10 Jan 2019 10:53
by lakewoodhobo
ericthegardener wrote:
Jasimm wrote:Checking in on some new retail lease maps of Oak Cliff Bishop Arts and noticed that a new Royal Blue Grocery (logo appears at Davis & Llewellyn) might be in the works just down the street from the proposed Central Market.


Is that the former Bolsa Mercado location?


Good catch! Yes, that does appear to be the old Bolsa Mercado.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 10 Jan 2019 12:07
by ericthegardener
I wonder if this is official. If so, that's some pretty big news for the BA area.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 14 Jan 2019 13:07
by Redblock
Amazon/Wholw Foods cancels Whole Foods 365 store plans.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/whole- ... res-ending

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 14 Jan 2019 16:09
by Matt777
Anybody know when the Tom Thumb at the Union in Victory Park will open? Originally, they said Fall 2018, then early 2019, so I would think it should be opening soon.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 14 Jan 2019 16:59
by TNWE
Redblock wrote:Amazon/Wholw Foods cancels Whole Foods 365 store plans.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/whole- ... res-ending


From the article, it sounds like the 365 brand is going away, but the broader strategy is being retained (i.e. lower prices on staple items). Not really surprising as the 365 concept was pre-Amazon and almost immediately after the acquisition WF started reducing prices (often times to near what kroger was charging).


It would be nice to see a smaller WF like the one in Uptown get included in a development project downtown. Royal Blue is nice but the selection is limited and pricey.

Re: The Grocery Store Thread 2.0

Posted: 15 Jan 2019 23:07
by itsjrd1964
H-E-B was just named the 4th-best grocery store in the U.S., according to a survey

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/bus ... ing-survey