The Old Red Museum is leaving Old Red Courthouse

THRILLHO

The Old Red Museum is leaving Old Red Courthouse

Postby THRILLHO » 23 Sep 2021 12:27

Dallas County’s Old Red Courthouse Will Soon Be a Courthouse Again - D Magazine
For the first time in years, the Old Red Courthouse in downtown Dallas will again be used as a courthouse. And the Old Red Museum of Dallas County History, which has occupied the space since 2007, will be moving.

“Dispersed is not the right word,” museum director Evelyn Montgomery says. “And the most important thing is that the museum’s collection and all items are safe under our care and insured. But instead of being all in one building, we will have the opportunity to spread our mission and our exhibits out over probably seven county buildings: three of them in the West End and then four satellite government centers where they would like to have some history displays.”

Just kind of a bummer. It's nicer having all of it under one roof.

Tucy

Re: The Old Red Museum is leaving Old Red Courthouse

Postby Tucy » 23 Sep 2021 12:42

THRILLHO wrote:Dallas County’s Old Red Courthouse Will Soon Be a Courthouse Again - D Magazine
For the first time in years, the Old Red Courthouse in downtown Dallas will again be used as a courthouse. And the Old Red Museum of Dallas County History, which has occupied the space since 2007, will be moving.

Dispersed is not the right word,” museum director Evelyn Montgomery says. “And the most important thing is that the museum’s collection and all items are safe under our care and insured. But instead of being all in one building, we will have the opportunity to spread our mission and our exhibits out over probably seven county buildings: three of them in the West End and then four satellite government centers where they would like to have some history displays.”

Just kind of a bummer. It's nicer having all of it under one roof.

Just curious - How is "dispersed... not the right word"? It seems a rather perfect description of what they are doing.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 23 Sep 2021 15:02

In museumese, I believe dispersal only refers to separately selling off or giving away the collections.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 23 Sep 2021 16:11

I have never been to the museum, but does anyone know if there is anything related to Allen Brooks in the museum?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Sep 2021 10:10

Hey I don't hate that the building can be more functional again. It was built as a courthouse and as long as they don't destroy preservation work it will be nice to have it working again. The last time I was inside was when the Museum first opened so I always assumed if I hadn't been back probably not a lot of random visitors have been either.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”