DFW in the Media

willyk

DFW in the Media

Postby willyk » 18 Nov 2016 05:58

CRE Nationally: Markets to Watch

1. Austin
2. Dallas
40. Houston

The Dallas/Fort Worth area is perceived as a business-friendly environment that offers an attractive cost of doing business, an adequate and well-educated workforce, and world-class trans- portation access by air, rail, and road. The labor force continues to be supported by an attractive cost of living that continues to attract in-migration. The economy has continued to diversify and has exposure to growing medical facilities and an expanding technology sector. A number of colleges and universities in the metro area support the education level of the workforce, while coordination with the community college network is used to train workers for positions that do not require a four-year college degree.

The Dallas/Fort Worth metro area has avoided becoming a victim of its own success, although rising demand is pushing up the price of hous-
ing in the market. Once known as exclusively as a suburban market, Dallas is enjoying more growth of infill areas and the inner-ring suburbs. The market is also using smaller lots and higher density to
keep housing affordable. The suburbs in Dallas/ Fort Worth are accessible, if not exactly walk-
able. Dallas/Fort Worth residents value improved access to amenities even if it is by personal vehicle. Adequate and convenient parking is a key element to meeting this need.

http://uli.org/wp-content/uploads/ULI-Documents/ET17ch3.pdf

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: DFW in the Media

Postby tamtagon » 01 Dec 2016 10:55

link from facebook folks citing inaccuracies....

http://www.globalconstructionreview.com ... 7an-p7ark/

HA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dollaztx

Postby dollaztx » 01 Dec 2016 12:31

tamtagon wrote:link from facebook folks citing inaccuracies....

http://www.globalconstructionreview.com ... 7an-p7ark/

HA

This made front page of reddit a couple days ago for some reason.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Dec 2016 21:46

Deep in the heart of nowhere? NYT mag takes potshots at Dallas in ode to Stanley Marcus

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/busi ... ley-marcus

"Born in Dallas in 1905, Stanley Marcus was essentially a character from a 19th-century French novel somehow stranded on the Texas prairie."

And who can believe Marcus stayed?

"One of the enduring mysteries is why Marcus -- an outspoken liberal in a sea of radical conservatives, an active integrationist in a still-segregated south, a Jew who couldn't join elite local country clubs -- always insisted on remaining in Dallas," McAuley writes.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 03 Dec 2016 12:38

Pieces like that make me averse to the Times.

How in the world can anyone bear to live somewhere where no one else thinks or lives like them?! Attempting to change your community for the better is far too burdensome — may as well up and move to a community more reflective of yourself.

More seriously, instead of insulating myself from non-like-minded views, as the Times seems to endorse, I'll continue reading and seeing different perspectives than my own. Thank God people like Mr. Marcus don't act and live as the Times oh so condescendingly believes they should.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Dec 2016 21:12

Somehow Ray Nasher survived here too. NYT staff need to get out more.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 05 Dec 2016 17:17

dallasbeatsaustin

Postby dallasbeatsaustin » 13 Dec 2016 16:33

Costal papers have always overlooked the diversity, political and otherwise, of Texas cities. Still, the main point was that Marcus was quite an extraordinary figure for his time and that did put him in opposition to many Texas power brokers, especially once Shivers began to split up the Democratic party. The author could have made the point just using the historical context, but instead resorted to the Texas as empty/scary trope. :|

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 17 Dec 2016 22:41

The New York Times is literally a politically biased propaganda publication. So much so that their head editor had to make a formal statement apologizing for their lack of objectivity and biased favoritism. It's garbage. There's my two cents.

willyk

Postby willyk » 26 Dec 2016 08:01

Nothing new...just some nice PR for Dallas.

Dallas is getting a $600 million urban park that's more than 11 times as large as Central Park

http://www.businessinsider.com/dallas-trinity-river-park-project-2016-12?op=0#/%23he-said-the-park-would-redefine-dallas-for-the-21st-century-10

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Dec 2016 12:22

That particular article has definitely made the rounds on the internet. A lot of my friends have mentioned it to me, and seem to be under the impression that it is for sure happening.

More exposure for this park certainly isn't a bad thing.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Dec 2016 14:56

We're living in the misinformation age.

willyk

Postby willyk » 06 Jan 2017 19:20

Even with these problems, no other part of the country comes close to being as deeply progressive as California. Illinois, President Obama’s home state, is a model for nothing so much as larceny and corruption. New York, the traditional bailiwick of the progressive over-class, is similarly too corrupt and also too tied to, and dependent upon, Wall Street. In addition, both of these states are losing population, while California, although slowing down and experiencing out-migration by residents to other states, continues to grow, the product of children born to those who arrived over the past three decades.

California’s recent economic success seemingly makes it a compelling “alt-America.” After a severe decline in the Great Recession, the economy has roared back, and since 2010 has outpaced the national average. But if you go back to 2000, metro areas such as Austin, Dallas, Houston, Orlando, Salt Lake City and Phoenix -- all in lower-tax, regulation-light states -- have expanded their employment by twice or more than that in Los Angeles.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/01/06/california_as_alt-america_132724.htmli

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 06 Jan 2017 20:29

California is even further to the left than all of Europe, who consequently is now swinging to the far right.

xen0blue

Postby xen0blue » 22 Jan 2017 19:45

Ha, $50 says the trinity river will never be anymore more than a glorified drainage ditch. It will never be anything near a glamorous as they make it out to be.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Jan 2017 14:23

xen0blue wrote:Ha, $50 says the trinity river will never be anymore more than a glorified drainage ditch. It will never be anything near a glamorous as they make it out to be.

Which is why they should do as little as possible with it since one flood could potentially wipe out the entire project.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Jan 2017 15:34

There's absolutely no natural reason prohibiting the entire levee flanked flood plain from becoming a managed wilderness, wetlands, ponds, oxbows, bluffs.... when the floods come, that's okay because nature grows back. Relieving the choke point at the Great Trinity Forest is the natural obstacle. Cisterns connected by catacombs, aqueducts etm all fed from above ground canals store enough water to keep the channel area lush through out the year and evacuate damaging seasonal flash floods.

Leave ALL the big-time 'programming' and 'structured environment' to Fair Park: the other incessantly mismanaged asset in the city. The Trinity River Park will only work as a managed wilderness, and that's precisely what Dallas needs to compete with the rest of the world.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Jan 2017 16:42

^Good points but they can't resist and they just can't let go of the dream, no matter how flawed it is.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 22 Feb 2017 16:50

The Dallas Arts District is launching a radio station.

http://www.guidelive.com/music/2017/02/ ... -frequency

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Jul 2017 20:06

eburress

Postby eburress » 14 Jul 2017 01:06

DPatel304 wrote:Mark Cuban promoting Dallas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ttQVDY0AQ

Very cool! Dallas really is lucky to have so many great ambassadors. I spend most of my time in San Diego and while there are plenty of famous people living here, I can't think of any of them who really care about the city and promote it in a similar fashion.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jul 2017 01:18

He does have a vested interested in this city though, correct? I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that he is sitting on a bit of land in the Cedars, and I know he just recently purchased some land in the Design District for the Mavs practice facility.

Whatever his reasons are, yes it is indeed pretty cool, especially considering he's on Shark Tank now, so he's probably pretty well known now nationally. I know prior to Shark Tank, he was pretty well known in Dallas, but I'm not sure if anyone outside of the state really knew who he was.

rantanamo

Postby rantanamo » 14 Jul 2017 02:37

DPatel304 wrote:He does have a vested interested in this city though, correct? I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that he is sitting on a bit of land in the Cedars, and I know he just recently purchased some land in the Design District for the Mavs practice facility.

Whatever his reasons are, yes it is indeed pretty cool, especially considering he's on Shark Tank now, so he's probably pretty well known now nationally. I know prior to Shark Tank, he was pretty well known in Dallas, but I'm not sure if anyone outside of the state really knew who he was.

I know everyone doesn't watch sports, but the NBA is a multi-billion dollar organization. Anyone that watches the NBA knew him well, and with many he was hated big time. He was a great saleman for his brand.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 14 Jul 2017 12:10

As long as our great state leaders continue to push and pass anti-gay, woman, immigrant, minority, etc...bills, does it really do any good for well-known folks to try and promote our city to millennial outsiders? We have the unfortunate position of being a great city located in a wacky state. Outsiders associate our city with Texas and as Texas goes, so goes Dallas. For most people, perception is reality even though it is not entirely accurate.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jul 2017 12:31

Jbarn wrote:As long as our great state leaders continue to push and pass anti-gay, woman, immigrant, minority, etc...bills, does it really do any good for well-known folks to try and promote our city to millennial outsiders? We have the unfortunate position of being a great city located in a wacky state. Outsiders associate our city with Texas and as Texas goes, so goes Dallas. For most people, perception is reality even though it is not entirely accurate.

It seems like our city is (economically) attractive enough to somewhat overcome that. It certainly doesn't help having such a bad reputation, but I've met quite a few people who were hesitant about moving here at first, but were pleasantly surprised when they visited or moved here. But yes, I'm sure there are people who might have the opportunity to live here, but simply don't even consider it because of that reputation.

Somehow Austin has managed to shake off that reputation, but, having lived there for a year and a half, I don't really find Austin to be all that much more liberal than Dallas or Houston. Perhaps 20 years ago it was, but these days, not so much.

eburress

Postby eburress » 14 Jul 2017 13:48

rantanamo wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:He does have a vested interested in this city though, correct? I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that he is sitting on a bit of land in the Cedars, and I know he just recently purchased some land in the Design District for the Mavs practice facility.

I know everyone doesn't watch sports, but the NBA is a multi-billion dollar organization. Anyone that watches the NBA knew him well, and with many he was hated big time. He was a great saleman for his brand.

He's been nationally known for years. He was already all over TV, prior to Shark Tank. In addition to cameos on shows, he had that failed reality show which was similar to the Apprentice.

There are people out here (San Diego) who have a vested interest but still don't seem to give a sh!t about the city, promoting it, etc. In pretty much everywhere I've been/lived, Dallas is unique in this regard.

muncien

Postby muncien » 19 Jul 2017 13:49

Jbarn wrote:As long as our great state leaders continue to push and pass anti-gay, woman, immigrant, minority, etc...bills, does it really do any good for well-known folks to try and promote our city to millennial outsiders? We have the unfortunate position of being a great city located in a wacky state. Outsiders associate our city with Texas and as Texas goes, so goes Dallas. For most people, perception is reality even though it is not entirely accurate.

Most rational folks couldn't care less about the leadership behaviors of the states they choose to visit. Sure, there are a few who choose to live their lives through petty politics (I have family and friends on both sides who 'boycott' Chick filet, or Target, or whatever it is for whatever reason), but that is a sad way to go through life, and they are the exception. Truth is... most of us don't plan on visiting California just to carry guns around on our hip, or visit Texas just to pee in whichever restroom we feel like. While these issues make the news, they don't actually impact more than a small fraction of a percentage of people either way.
I know the media (both mainstream and social) love to put an emphasis on this 'take my toys and go home' mentality, but the sheer number of people flocking to states like California and Texas prove that it's more hype than reality. Frankly, I get kinda sick of being told who I should and shouldn't buy stuff from or where I should or shouldn't visit. Instead, I find the somewhat friendly rivalry between states as more beneficial to both. Just don't let it get ugly.
Time will tell, I suppose... But, I think we'll all do just fine.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

jrd1964

Postby jrd1964 » 23 Sep 2017 11:39

NBC Nightly News profiled sheriff Lupe Valdez, police chief Renee Hall, and DA Faith Johnson on Friday 9-22. Good, but could have been longer.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vi ... 3046851643

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Mar 2018 10:14

THE BEST NEIGHBORHOODS IN AMERICA TO SPEND A WEEKEND:
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation ... in-america
Report: Top Destinations for Meeting and Incentive Groups:
https://www.bizbash.com/report-top-dest ... qNWsujwaUk

I don't know if websites count as 'media', but it's still cool to see both articles mention Dallas (specifically Deep Ellum) as a cool destination to see. Obviously these are only two articles on two websites, so it doesn't mean a whole lot, but perhaps more and more people might catch on to the fact that Deep Ellum is back.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Mar 2018 10:26

^Well, that's just the nutshell about Dallas trying to grow up, become a world city. It's gotta foster a "party and clubbing spot" embedded in a robust residential neighborhood. The "tiny section of Dallas has been a hotbed for live music since the 1920" will rise and fall as long as it's unsupported by residential foundation.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Mar 2018 14:30

Are people still concerned Deep Ellum will continue the cycle and 'fall' again? I'm really not familiar with the history of the area, but I feel like the last time it 'fell' in the 2000s was because basically Downtown was a ghost town.

Not only has Downtown made a comeback, but now we've created new urban neighborhoods that have never existed before, so I'm pretty optimistic about Deep Ellum.

Brettoj

Postby Brettoj » 18 Apr 2019 09:52

We are getting credit in international press for being fashionable. Monocle magazine April edition has a decent spread on Dallas/Texas.

https://youtu.be/sMlXehCBubw

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 18 Apr 2019 11:08

Very cool, nice find! Glad to see they mention specific areas within Dallas (North Oak Cliff, Downtown, Highland Park), rather than just lump everything together as being "Dallas".

Cord1936

Postby Cord1936 » 10 Sep 2019 11:04

So Many People Are Moving to Dallas That HGTV is Making a Show About It
by Candy's Dirt, 09-09-19

The Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area is adding about 360 new residents a day, which is putting some serious pressure on the real estate market. The North Texas area added more than 131,000 people last year, and if traffic in East Dallas is any indication, at least half of them moved there. The other half are still on the North Dallas Tollway, having decided to live out of their car because hey, they can’t find a home and there’s plenty of room to park.

So if you think a quick relocation to DFW has all the makings of reality TV drama, you’d probably be interested in the latest Dallas-Fort Worth real estate casting call. HGTV has picked up 13 episodes covering that very topic. Jump to see if you’re a good fit for this reality TV show:

https://candysdirt.com/2019/09/09/so-many-people-are-moving-to-dallas-that-hgtv-is-making-a-show-about-it/

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 20 Feb 2020 22:33

Samantha Brown created a Dallas episode of her PBS TV series "Places to Love." She did the city right, and it was a beautiful, authentic representation of our city. I feel like it will challenge outsiders preconceived notions of Dallas, and hopefully even some of our suburban residents who don't dare to cross GB tollway.

Of course there are a ton more places she could have gone, but in 30 minutes she featured Pecan Lodge, Klyde Warren Park, The Nasher Sculpture Center, Dude Sweet Chocolate/Bishop Arts, Travis Austin Designs, Revolver Taco Lounge/Purapecha, and Deep Ellum.

It's hard to fit so much into 22-25 minutes of air time, but she did a fantastic job. Other things I think she COULD have added if she had more time would be Downtown/Uptown (places like the original Neimans), Reunion Tower, the Arboretum, Katy Trail, White Rock Lake.

Watch free here at this PBS link:
https://www.pbs.org/video/dallas-ttqaz9 ... -106653607

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Feb 2020 00:35

Surprised Knox / Henderson or lower Greenville weren't shown. I guess the construction got in the way

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 21 Feb 2020 10:44

The incomplete implosion of the old ACS building is viral nationwide. Even the Legoland at Grapevine Mills has crafted a plastic version of the 'Leaning Tower of Dallas'.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/02/1 ... x-dnt.ktvt
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/19/us/d ... osion.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/d ... 825127002/

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/02/20/lea ... ted-legos/

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 14 May 2020 10:39

Dallas is listed as #10 in the Top 10 richest cities in the world, according to data firm Wealth-X and as reported on CNBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/14/top-10- ... lth-x.html

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 15 May 2020 00:01

Nice to be listed. Also embarrassing to have had that much opportunity, be in that kind of company, and yet the city's lasting original contributions to global civilization are the Texas donut apartment block, graphing calculators, Mary Kay marketing mantras, and the inspiration for Outkast's "Ms. Jackson," not that there's anything wrong with that song.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 May 2020 06:21

^word

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 15 May 2020 08:19

I45Tex wrote:Nice to be listed. Also embarrassing to have had that much opportunity, be in that kind of company, and yet the city's lasting original contributions to global civilization are the Texas donut apartment block, graphing calculators, Mary Kay marketing mantras, and the inspiration for Outkast's "Ms. Jackson," not that there's anything wrong with that song.

How could your forgot to list the frozen margarita machine?!

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 15 May 2020 11:37

dukemeredith wrote:
I45Tex wrote:Nice to be listed. Also embarrassing to have had that much opportunity, be in that kind of company, and yet the city's lasting original contributions to global civilization are the Texas donut apartment block, graphing calculators, Mary Kay marketing mantras, and the inspiration for Outkast's "Ms. Jackson," not that there's anything wrong with that song.

How could your forgot to list the frozen margarita machine?!

^ And others.

https://www.centraltrack.com/patently-cool/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 May 2020 13:11

Gentlemen's clubs!

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 15 May 2020 13:12

The microchip was invented in Dallas, but okay.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 15 May 2020 13:20

If that were true, would Texas Instruments have settled for owning only a cross-licensing agreement about the intellectual property?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventi ... ed_circuit

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 15 May 2020 18:22

^ Jack Kilby of TI won the Nobel Prize for it. Good enough for me. :-)

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 May 2020 14:59

I45Tex wrote:If that were true, would Texas Instruments have settled for owning only a cross-licensing agreement about the intellectual property?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventi ... ed_circuit

Even your own article says that Jack Kilby invented the first prototype at TI.The first microchip on earth was built in Dallas, near 635 and 75.

Why we don't capitalize on this fact, I don't know. Nor Bonny and Clyde, nor the frozen margarita machine, nor x, y, and z. City leaders are too busy creating fake rapids in a drainage pond, under highway jugglers, and TIF funds to benefit their rich benefactors to do anything sensible.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 17 May 2020 07:46

I was most surprised to see German Chocolate Cake on that list. That’s definitely something Dallas could take ownership of and be “known” for around the country — like Key West is “known” for Key Lime Pie (among other things).

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 May 2020 10:46

!!! Gentlemen's Clubs !!!

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 17 May 2020 19:22

tamtagon wrote:Gentlemen's clubs!

Now we know what Tamtagon does with at least some of his money ;)