Hunt Realty, AT&T partner on lighting up Reunion Tower for New Year's Eve

DPatel304

Hunt Realty, AT&T partner on lighting up Reunion Tower for New Year's Eve

Postby DPatel304 » 15 Nov 2016 21:23

Dallas-based Hunt Realty and telecom giant AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) are collaborating on a New Year's Eve event that will light up Hunt-owned Reunion Tower in downtown Dallas.

The event, called AT&T Streaming Lights at Reunion Tower, will include a fireworks spectacle that will like up the Dallas skyline a minute before the clock strikes midnight closing out the year.

The Reunion Tower lawn and some of the nearby streets will be closed for safety, but viewing parties will be hosted at Trinity Groves, with the best vantage points on the west side of the Trinity River.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... union.html

Surprised they are only now announcing this. Ever since it was cancelled last year, I've been wondering if/when they would announce the return of this show.

It's concerning that the 'best vantage points' are on the west side of the Trinity, as it is not the best area to host a large number of people and there isn't an easy way for people to get in and out of the area. I hope several areas decide to host their own watching parties that night. You'd probably get a good view from rooftop bars such as Nylo, Alamo Draughthouse, and Happiest Hour.

DPatel304

Re: Hunt Realty, AT&T partner on lighting up Reunion Tower for New Year's Eve

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Jan 2019 23:38

Did anyone check out the fireworks this year? I went to Trinity Groves for dinner (Steam Theory Brewing Company), but I was out of the area by about 9pm, so I didn't get to catch the fireworks.

I had been to the Big D event at Victory Park a couple of times, so I'm wondering how this new fireworks show compares to that. I really liked how Victory Park had the large plaza for a concert and for everyone to congregate in. As far as I know, the closest you can get to that now is on the Pedestrian Bridge, but I'm not aware of any sort of concert that goes on, and the bridge doesn't seem as good as Victory Plaza (in my opinion) for gathering.

Hopefully as the west side develops, there can be better spots to watch the fireworks from.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Jan 2019 04:57

I watched it on Channel 5, it looked quite good. IMO, the Victory Park NYE fireworks really were lame in comparison.

Ch. 5 has archived video of the fireworks:
https://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainment/th ... 51002.html

muncien

Postby muncien » 02 Jan 2019 09:29

I watched some of the video feed... I really like the idea, but it seemed like the whole thing could have been sped along a bit. I know they wanted to make it 'longer', but I think squeezing more pyro into a shorter period would have been better.

As for the ole Big D NYE in VP. I truly do miss that... Sure the fireworks were far fewer/smaller, but the people are what made it great (even if the programming could use some enhancement). That is what you see at all famous NYE celebrations... The fireworks are just an added bonus. It's kinda the opposite of 4th of July. I have hopes that one day, the new ATT Discovery District will become the central place to celebrate NYE... fireworks or not. Even KWP would make for a great location.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Jan 2019 11:12

So why can't Hunt, AT&T and Big D NYE all combine into one amazing thing?? You could have the fireworks show, perhaps even make it bigger and shoot fireworks from the Trinity River as well... You have the lawn area at Reunion where you could put a big stage and bring in some great bands- and then across the lawn you could have a beer garden, food vendors, indoor VIP lounges, maybe even a large tent with a cool little food hall etc...

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Jan 2019 12:01

muncien wrote:As for the ole Big D NYE in VP. I truly do miss that... Sure the fireworks were far fewer/smaller, but the people are what made it great (even if the programming could use some enhancement). That is what you see at all famous NYE celebrations... The fireworks are just an added bonus. It's kinda the opposite of 4th of July. I have hopes that one day, the new ATT Discovery District will become the central place to celebrate NYE... fireworks or not. Even KWP would make for a great location.

Yeah, I totally agree. I loved going to the Big D, just because it was fun to congregate with everyone, and, like you said, the Fireworks were just a nice bonus. It didn't really occur to me that the fireworks weren't as good back then, because I wasn't really there to see that.

Perhaps the Trinity River area will develop in such a way that it can eventually provide good spaces for people to congregate in, in the future, but I feel like that would be quite a ways off.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 05 Dec 2019 14:10

New Years' Eve in Dallas: Party on the Plaza
Join VisitDallas and hosts Ron Corning and Yolonda Williams for Party on the Plaza, 7 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. New Year’s Eve at Dallas City Hall.

Enjoy food trucks, drinks and live entertainment from American Idol favorites CASTRO, plus the Emerald City Elevation Band, all counting down to the Reunion Tower Over-The-Top fireworks – the most unique and unforgettable fireworks show in Texas.

Admission is free!

https://www.facebook.com/events/514440582641995/

I don't believe we had anything like this the past year correct? Ever since the moved NYE out of Victory Park, we've lacked a central place for people to gather and watch the fireworks, but hopefully this can provide that this year.

I won't be able to go, but I hope it's a success.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Dec 2019 08:41

IIRR, much of the coverage of those that got on TV last year was a combo-meal of Texas Live! and Trinity Groves. There were musical interludes that I think were at Texas Live! also.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Jan 2020 21:23

Did anyone make it out to City Hall last night for the NYE party? I didn't get a chance to go, but I'm wondering what the experience was like. I found this short youtube clip which shows a bit of footage from the event and they claim that (at the time) there were 7,000 people in attendance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PukMb92 ... u.be&t=416

I have no idea how that compares to Victory Park's NYE bash. I know this is a relatively new event, so I expect it might take a few years before it gains more traction and garners bigger crowds.

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Jan 2020 09:21

DPatel304 wrote:Did anyone make it out to City Hall last night for the NYE party? I didn't get a chance to go, but I'm wondering what the experience was like. I found this short youtube clip which shows a bit of footage from the event and they claim that (at the time) there were 7,000 people in attendance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PukMb92 ... u.be&t=416

I have no idea how that compares to Victory Park's NYE bash. I know this is a relatively new event, so I expect it might take a few years before it gains more traction and garners bigger crowds.

I read a Big D NYE article a few weeks back, and I think they said attendance was 30-40k, for those... Keep in mind, there was almost always a Stars game the same night.
Not sure about Reunion dealio.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Dec 2020 12:08

Anything happening here this year?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 29 Dec 2020 13:54

Over The TOP NYE 2020
https://www.facebook.com/events/161485438993691/

This is the only thing I'm aware of, but it looks like this is a virtual event and they are not allowing people to gather in person to view the fireworks.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 30 Dec 2020 09:53

People will find a way. I predict that cloverleaf patch of dirt overlooking downtown at Hampton and I-30 will be packed with cars to view this event. Actually it is probably the best place to see it, that downtown view at night is killer.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 30 Dec 2020 10:05

Tnexster wrote:People will find a way. I predict that cloverleaf patch of dirt overlooking downtown at Hampton and I-30 will be packed with cars to view this event. Actually it is probably the best place to see it, that downtown view at night is killer.

Not having an official overlook point here is a missed opportunity. The view is breathtaking. I know the logistics would be hard with it being in a cloverleaf, but where there's a will there's a way.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 30 Dec 2020 10:22

Matt777 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:People will find a way. I predict that cloverleaf patch of dirt overlooking downtown at Hampton and I-30 will be packed with cars to view this event. Actually it is probably the best place to see it, that downtown view at night is killer.

Not having an official overlook point here is a missed opportunity. The view is breathtaking. I know the logistics would be hard with it being in a cloverleaf, but where there's a will there's a way.

Absolutely true! Although I do have some concern they might try and ruin it.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 30 Dec 2020 15:43

This will be the last year I get to see the tower fireworks from home. Next week the new East Quarter tower will block the dome.

The walls of the fishbowl are closing in.

:-(

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 31 Dec 2020 06:51

According to Ch.5's website, the show is doing a poolside party at the Omni to watch the fireworks. They must have changed it, as the last 2 years, the show did a watch party from Texas Live!, which I thought was a bit off since the party wasn't even close to the fireworks. In the promo for this year, no mention was made of Texas Live! Also, there's been a change of host: only 1 of the 2 is a Ch.5 staffer, the other is some man who works for the Nexstar NBC station in Little Rock. I guess since Nexstar is part of the production, they wanted someone in on the show representing them.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainment/th ... 1/2511479/