Northpark Center

acclar11

Re: Northpark Center

Postby acclar11 » 07 Jun 2023 18:21

Any word on Nike? It's been a year since H&M closed.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 09 Jun 2023 18:10

Todd Snyder is now open

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 09 Jun 2023 18:11

acclar11 wrote:Any word on Nike? It's been a year since H&M closed.

I think they meant “Winter 2023” as in, before this coming holiday season, but I hope it doesn’t take that long to build. There’s no Nike store in Dallas currently with that one closed.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 09 Jun 2023 18:28

It appears that the Swatch move is not a temporary location. Can anyone confirm this? If this is their new permanent location, it's not a bad spot for them.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 09 Jun 2023 18:57

R1070 wrote:It appears that the Swatch move is not a temporary location. Can anyone confirm this? If this is their new permanent location, it's not a bad spot for them.

It would be a good spot for them, being near Dillard's, Tag Heuer, and Breitling, but it definitely looks temporary.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Jun 2023 23:07

After The galleria reduces retail space, does North Park expand? Residential on the Southside to have the best views, office and hotel? Spa. More couture

Addison

Postby Addison » 10 Jun 2023 01:24

tamtagon wrote:After The galleria reduces retail space, does North Park expand? Residential on the Southside to have the best views, office and hotel? Spa. More couture

Saks or Bloomingdales...

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 10 Jun 2023 09:50

NorthPark needs to finish the second floor so that we can accommodate more luxury retail, convert the Macy's store into a Bloomingdale's store, build a luxury hotel in the North or South lot... some office would be nice as well

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 Jun 2023 22:47

Macy’s needs to go. Dillard’s can be the mall’s mid-priced dept store. I could see Bloomies coming in way before Saks.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 14 Jun 2023 21:44

Buckle is moving into the space that previously had AMC Dreamscape.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 14 Jun 2023 21:51

I still am curious about what's happening with all the empty spaces in the Macy's wing on the second floor. I could see the ones across from Miniluxe being combined into one larger space for a larger store, and the ones between Doc Popcorn and Dr. Martens being combined as well.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 15 Jun 2023 11:46

The ones across from Miniluxe are going to be new locations for LensCrafters and T Mobile. They are building out the spaces now.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 15 Jun 2023 12:03

R1070 wrote:The ones across from Miniluxe are going to be new locations for LensCrafters and T Mobile. They are building out the spaces now.

That wasn't reflected on their online map but I remember now. I still think it's a bit interesting that there's like five spaces all lined up next to each other in that court.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 15 Jun 2023 14:26

With T Mobile moving, I think there’s some plans over there.

As for the Buckle move, I wouldn’t be surprised to see an expanded Madewell to include their men’s line. Or perhaps some shifting to accommodate Everlane.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 15 Jun 2023 18:02

Bath and Body Works and Victoria’s Secret should have been moved upstairs, not stay just a corner turn away from Prada and Margiela.

hjkll

Postby hjkll » 17 Jun 2023 20:31

Was at Northpark today and let me say- if there is a recession or downturn, it's not happening at NP.

If they don't build out the second floor on the "old" half of the mall, I hope at least they renovate the skylights. The NM/Dillard's wings feel so dated and aged compared to the Nordstrom wing

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 17 Jun 2023 21:46

hjkll wrote:Was at Northpark today and let me say- if there is a recession or downturn, it's not happening at NP.

If they don't build out the second floor on the "old" half of the mall, I hope at least they renovate the skylights. The NM/Dillard's wings feel so dated and aged compared to the Nordstrom wing

I know the brick is pretty nostalgic to most people, but the dated feeling and the way certain parts of the mall make me feel like this place was built in Minecraft make me really want a major renovation. The Galleria in Houston, and even the Dallas one, have better architecture that feels higher end in my opinion.

So many of these stores have so much brick on top of their storefronts and I never really liked how that looked, I wish some of them could just build taller storefronts that emphasise the store more and allow for some unique design choices

R1070

Postby R1070 » 18 Jun 2023 21:12

The concrete floors need to be re-done and the lighting updated as well as the fountain by Dillard's. The area from MCM to Eiseman had lighting updated and it made a big difference.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 19 Jun 2023 14:00

R1070 wrote:The concrete floors need to be re-done and the lighting updated as well as the fountain by Dillard's. The area from MCM to Eiseman had lighting updated and it made a big difference.

That corner has to be one of the better looking areas in the mall. It also makes a huge difference how low the ceilings are there, I prefer it so much than to have so much white brick above every storefront like in the Macy’s/Dillard’s wing.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 23 Jun 2023 14:28

Marni has opened.

hjkll

Postby hjkll » 23 Jun 2023 15:07

It looks superb

R1070

Postby R1070 » 24 Jun 2023 17:45

It looks like something may be going into one of the spaces across from Journey's.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 24 Jun 2023 20:39

R1070 wrote:It looks like something may be going into one of the spaces across from Journey's.

I was kind of hoping that they’d combine them together to build a new Apple store considering the one by Nordstrom is outdated in design.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 24 Jun 2023 21:14

The Webster is coming to Austin at The Domain. I wonder if they'll ever come to Dallas, maybe at NorthPark or at Highland Park Village (Anthropologie space once Chanel moves back into its old location?)

R1070

Postby R1070 » 24 Jun 2023 22:05

Proquest20 wrote:The Webster is coming to Austin at The Domain. I wonder if they'll ever come to Dallas, maybe at NorthPark or at Highland Park Village (Anthropologie space once Chanel moves back into its old location?)

The Webster is expanding in Simon managed shopping centers. So Clearfork is probably our best shot in DFW.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 24 Jun 2023 22:06

Proquest20 wrote:
R1070 wrote:It looks like something may be going into one of the spaces across from Journey's.

I was kind of hoping that they’d combine them together to build a new Apple store considering the one by Nordstrom is outdated in design.

This could be the rumored Claire's.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 24 Jun 2023 23:24

R1070 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:

And I seriously hope not. That stuff needs to be kept to Park Lane. NorthPark would be seriously going downhill if they sign leases with brands that sell their stuff at Walmart.

I was hoping that rumor was just Macy's adding Claires stuff to their store. Macy's as a whole has been going down hill, and I hope the NorthPark location closes and becomes something else before they start adding the "Backstage" BS to that location. If Claires is really coming to NorthPark, I'd assume the mall is going the way of the Galleria. Maybe the Crescent or Main Street can be Dallas next upscale shopping location. What's next, random small businesses like the ones that are at Willow Bend?

I wonder if NorthPark is struggling a lot more than they’d want us to think. They shouldn’t be so desperate to fill space that they settle for merchandise sold in Walmart stores, if they really are a mall in the tier they claim to be in. Still no hotel or office space, or anything coming to the Theodore space…

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 25 Jun 2023 09:52

R1070 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it is.

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 25 Jun 2023 09:55

Proquest20 wrote:
R1070 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:

And I seriously hope not. That stuff needs to be kept to Park Lane. NorthPark would be seriously going downhill if they sign leases with brands that sell their stuff at Walmart.

I was hoping that rumor was just Macy's adding Claires stuff to their store. Macy's as a whole has been going down hill, and I hope the NorthPark location closes and becomes something else before they start adding the "Backstage" BS to that location. If Claires is really coming to NorthPark, I'd assume the mall is going the way of the Galleria. Maybe the Crescent or Main Street can be Dallas next upscale shopping location. What's next, random small businesses like the ones that are at Willow Bend?

I wonder if NorthPark is struggling a lot more than they’d want us to think. They shouldn’t be so desperate to fill space that they settle for merchandise sold in Walmart stores, if they really are a mall in the tier they claim to be in. Still no hotel or office space, or anything coming to the Theodore space…

I think you're reading too far into Claire's signing a lease. I remember people were relatively upset when they closed in 2015/2016, so they definitely have a fanbase at NorthPark. It could be more of a prototype store, and it might carry nicer items, but I don't think Claire's signing a lease is the end of NorthPark....

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Jun 2023 13:01

Yea. Claire’s is not a horrible brand and caters to an age group that’s prominent in the mall. I think that wing of the mall is a good place to move brands like Cotton On, Vans, etc.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 25 Jun 2023 13:26

acclar11 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:
R1070 wrote:

I think you're reading too far into Claire's signing a lease. I remember people were relatively upset when they closed in 2015/2016, so they definitely have a fanbase at NorthPark. It could be more of a prototype store, and it might carry nicer items, but I don't think Claire's signing a lease is the end of NorthPark....

I think people were generally more upset that at the time, all of the lower end stores (Forever 21, Hollister, Sonic, Gamestop) were all leaving to be replaced by higher end stores. In general, they kicked most low end stores out of the mall. I only see this as a net positive, as it's done great things for NorthPark since, except for losing Cartier and Valentino which make me slightly skeptical of the direction the mall is headed. Maybe they’ve lost traffic to the Galleria or Town East since then? Still, I’d rather they finish off the top level and add more amenities to the mall before they bring these tenants in, as to have a similar square footage/importance of other major malls able to pull this off, like Houston’s Galleria. At the same time Houston's Galleria has stores like "Fashion Q" and "Wave" while still bringing in even more high end tenants than NorthPark ever has, so maybe a Claires is better than a space that stays empty forever.

To me I’d rather Park Lane be the mall for “low end shopping” like Forever 21 and Claires. Clearly people followed Forever 21 over there from NorthPark, they’d do the same with Claires ir H&M as well. Even Loft moved over these since closing their NorthPark store. Also Claires probably has more in common with American Girl customers than most customers at NorthPark…
Last edited by Proquest20 on 25 Jun 2023 20:44, edited 3 times in total.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 25 Jun 2023 13:48

If they are going to bring more low end tenants to the mall I’d hope they’d bring Hollister back, considering it’s one of the few stores I go to the Galleria for.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 26 Jun 2023 01:06

R1070 wrote:Yea. Claire’s is not a horrible brand and caters to an age group that’s prominent in the mall. I think that wing of the mall is a good place to move brands like Cotton On, Vans, etc.

I feel like Cotton On and Vans have broader appeal, like Vans shoes were trendy amongst all age groups a couple years ago and Cotton On isn’t necessarily a cheap store, their stuff is sold at Macy’s (although like i said Macy’s in general is in a major decline, and I hope Backstage never comes to NorthPark like it did to the Galleria). Claires has stores built into Walmart stores and sells their merchandise at their locations. $6 water bottles and phone cases feel out of place at NorthPark.

hjkll

Postby hjkll » 30 Jun 2023 14:50

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... kes-plans/

Missing Nike at NorthPark? The store has been temporarily closed, but the brand is about to return as a new concept. Nike Rise is opening on or about July 27 in NorthPark Center.

The store is two levels on the north side of the mall between Nordstrom and Macy’s in the space formerly occupied by H&M. It will be one of Nike’s first new concept stores in the U.S.

There’s more.

Later this month, lululemon is moving out of its store and into a temporary space between Dillard’s and Macy’s because it’s expanding too.

The temporary lululemon store will be located between Outdoor Voices and Tommy Bahama. The existing lululemon store will close after business on Sunday, July 16 and the pop-up will open July 19. Those dates could change, according to NorthPark.

Planning documents filed by the state say lululemon is taking 3,664 feet of the former Nike space next door which will give it 10,171 square feet to build out. And it will still have access to the outdoor park in the mall’s center.

There are no details yet on what luluemon plans to do with the extra space. Maybe more space to stretch and take a yoga class?

NorthPark is thought of as a high-fashion luxury mall, but it has a lot of casual and athletic wear retailers.

Vuori, a men’s and women’s activewear store, opened last year. Alo Yoga is open. Gap-owned Athleta, Finish Line, Outdoor Voices, The North Face and Vans are there. NorthPark also has the only Under Armour Brand House in Texas.

hjkll

Postby hjkll » 30 Jun 2023 14:52

Expanding Lululemon in place instead of moving it to the Victoria's Secret wing and giving it a huge space there? Huge mistake on the part of Northpark.

They could have added several more Texas exclusive luxury brands. Guess not. First big mistake I've seen Northpark make in a while.

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 30 Jun 2023 21:38

In other news Tecovas is now open.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 30 Jun 2023 22:15

hjkll wrote:Expanding Lululemon in place instead of moving it to the Victoria's Secret wing and giving it a huge space there? Huge mistake on the part of Northpark.

They could have added several more Texas exclusive luxury brands. Guess not. First big mistake I've seen Northpark make in a while.

Them allegedly adding a Claires store too is also a HUGE mistake. That belongs at Park Lane near the new American Girl store, where they’ll definitely reach more of their audience. I think NorthPark is going downhill fast, give it five years and it’ll be the same state as the Galleria, just a mid range mall. I’m surprised that they’re not waiting for Victoria’s Secret to relocate within the mall to move Lululemon to that space actually.

At the same time, Houston’s Galleria, which has a larger scale than NorthPark, included Sephora, Zara, and Aritzia in their “luxury wing” so it’s possible it doesn’t mean much.

I feel like NorthPark is maybe in a struggle, or maybe just unable to sustain itself being an upscale mall. Think about it, we lost Panerai, BVLGARI, Valentino, and Cartier, amongst others. And we get a Claires?

Maybe the Crescent Court area can be the next upscale shopping centre for Dallas. Or a revitalised downtown where Main Street has luxury shops to compliment Neimans and the other boutiques there.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 30 Jun 2023 22:19

hjkll wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2023/06/30/nike-returns-to-northpark-soon-as-lululemon-makes-plans/

Missing Nike at NorthPark? The store has been temporarily closed, but the brand is about to return as a new concept. Nike Rise is opening on or about July 27 in NorthPark Center.

The store is two levels on the north side of the mall between Nordstrom and Macy’s in the space formerly occupied by H&M. It will be one of Nike’s first new concept stores in the U.S.

There’s more.

Later this month, lululemon is moving out of its store and into a temporary space between Dillard’s and Macy’s because it’s expanding too.

The temporary lululemon store will be located between Outdoor Voices and Tommy Bahama. The existing lululemon store will close after business on Sunday, July 16 and the pop-up will open July 19. Those dates could change, according to NorthPark.

Planning documents filed by the state say lululemon is taking 3,664 feet of the former Nike space next door which will give it 10,171 square feet to build out. And it will still have access to the outdoor park in the mall’s center.

There are no details yet on what luluemon plans to do with the extra space. Maybe more space to stretch and take a yoga class?

NorthPark is thought of as a high-fashion luxury mall, but it has a lot of casual and athletic wear retailers.

Vuori, a men’s and women’s activewear store, opened last year. Alo Yoga is open. Gap-owned Athleta, Finish Line, Outdoor Voices, The North Face and Vans are there. NorthPark also has the only Under Armour Brand House in Texas.

Under Armour is since opening new locations in Frisco and The Woodlands.

Lululemon having access to CenterPark is nice since it means they can do yoga classes outside

Jasimm

Postby Jasimm » 30 Jun 2023 23:45

Proquest20 wrote:
hjkll wrote:
I feel like NorthPark is maybe in a struggle, or maybe just unable to sustain itself being an upscale mall. Think about it, we lost Panerai, BVLGARI, Valentino, and Cartier, amongst others. And we get a Claires? ...

I feel like that is glossing over the new additions of Texas Exclusives Marni, Maison Margiela, Jil Sander and Dallas Exclusives of Marc Jacobs and the long awaited return of Prada.

Tiffany & Co., Gucci, and Louis Vuitton fresh off of expansions/renovations, enhancing their presence in the growing demand of Northpark's collection.

Northpark -- loss to HP Village--> Panerai, Valentino, Cartier
HP Village -- loss to Northpark--> Saint Laurent, Balenciaga, St. John
Highland Park Village and Northpark Center have a give and take it will always fluctuate as spaces open and demands change. Clustering all the jewelers at HP Village isn't surprising as they need smaller spaces and less foot traffic to make sales goals.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 01 Jul 2023 00:32

Jasimm wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:
hjkll wrote:
I feel like NorthPark is maybe in a struggle, or maybe just unable to sustain itself being an upscale mall. Think about it, we lost Panerai, BVLGARI, Valentino, and Cartier, amongst others. And we get a Claires? ...

I feel like that is glossing over the new additions of Texas Exclusives Marni, Maison Margiela, Jil Sander and Dallas Exclusives of Marc Jacobs and the long awaited return of Prada.

Tiffany & Co., Gucci, and Louis Vuitton fresh off of expansions/renovations, enhancing their presence in the growing demand of Northpark's collection.

Northpark -- loss to HP Village--> Panerai, Valentino, Cartier
HP Village -- loss to Northpark--> Saint Laurent, Balenciaga, St. John
Highland Park Village and Northpark Center have a give and take it will always fluctuate as spaces open and demands change. Clustering all the jewelers at HP Village isn't surprising as they need smaller spaces and less foot traffic to make sales goals.

Tiffany & Co has had an updated store at Galleria Dallas for years before updating their NorthPark one. Louis Vuitton has four other stores in the market, including the Galleria one which is also being expanded. Obviously the NorthPark ones are their top performing in the region, but those are the most basic of the luxury stores and do well practically anywhere they're at. Hell, Louis Vuitton had a store at Willow Bend up until they decided to relocate to Legacy West. The same thing applies to Gucci, as they've been able to sustain four stores in the metro area.

Now, having Bottega Veneta, Ferragamo, and Burberry all expand or refresh recently most likely shows that some luxury brands can still do good business there. As well as the fact that stores like Isabel Marant, Byredo, and Dolce Gabbana are even still open at NorthPark and have not closed for Highland Park Village or to leave the market completely like several other brands have (BVLGARI comes to mind) although we have to see what the future holds. Still, I really hope NorthPark management rethinks some of their decisions as it seems like they no longer want to be a high end mall. I fear we'll end up with another Galleria situation if this continues.

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 01 Jul 2023 11:36

Proquest20 wrote:
hjkll wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2023/06/30/nike-returns-to-northpark-soon-as-lululemon-makes-plans/

There’s more.

Under Armour is since opening new locations in Frisco and The Woodlands.

Lululemon having access to CenterPark is nice since it means they can do yoga classes outside

Under Armour is opening at Stonebriar?

acclar11

Postby acclar11 » 01 Jul 2023 11:43

Proquest20 wrote:
hjkll wrote:Expanding Lululemon in place instead of moving it to the Victoria's Secret wing and giving it a huge space there? Huge mistake on the part of Northpark.

Them allegedly adding a Claires store too is also a HUGE mistake. That belongs at Park Lane near the new American Girl store, where they’ll definitely reach more of their audience. I think NorthPark is going downhill fast, give it five years and it’ll be the same state as the Galleria, just a mid range mall. I’m surprised that they’re not waiting for Victoria’s Secret to relocate within the mall to move Lululemon to that space actually.

At the same time, Houston’s Galleria, which has a larger scale than NorthPark, included Sephora, Zara, and Aritzia in their “luxury wing” so it’s possible it doesn’t mean much.

I feel like NorthPark is maybe in a struggle, or maybe just unable to sustain itself being an upscale mall. Think about it, we lost Panerai, BVLGARI, Valentino, and Cartier, amongst others. And we get a Claires?

Maybe the Crescent Court area can be the next upscale shopping centre for Dallas. Or a revitalised downtown where Main Street has luxury shops to compliment Neimans and the other boutiques there.

I think you're looking way too far into Claire's opening. I highly doubt the return of one "mid-tier" store is going to scare the Eiseman shoppers away. If Claire's was opening in the former Godiva, that would be concerning, but they're opening on the second floor near the food court, far away from the luxury stores. For all we know, this could just be a pop up, or even a new prototype store, we have no idea at this moment.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 01 Jul 2023 16:28

acclar11 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:

I think you're looking way too far into Claire's opening. I highly doubt the return of one "mid-tier" store is going to scare the Eiseman shoppers away. If Claire's was opening in the former Godiva, that would be concerning, but they're opening on the second floor near the food court, far away from the luxury stores. For all we know, this could just be a pop up, or even a new prototype store, we have no idea at this moment.

Bath and Body Works is still steps away from there instead of having been moved upstairs or further north.

I’d also hope they’d move the Corner Bakery to where Green House Market was behind the AMC, it’s so weird that it’s in the designer hallway despite being a very average restaurant.

But also, if they’re going to sign a lease with a store like Claires that is sold at Walmart stores and even has stores built inside of some Walmarts, it brings me to wonder, what’s next? Are we going to start getting the Hot Topics and Spencers of retail at NorthPark? Or even worse, random no-name stores like the ones at Willow Bend and the Galleria?

Addison

Postby Addison » 01 Jul 2023 17:31

One thing we have to understand is right now is a tough time in general for mall owners and retailers alike.

Most stores are not actively looking to expand their store count, while mall owners want to charge insane rents to cover the cost of their debts & skyrocketing tax bills, which even the few stores that are looking to expand aren't keen on signing up for.

Add to it in Dallas' case specifically, we have an unusually balkanized luxury retail scene with there only being 1 luxury department store and all of our luxury boutiques aren't concentrated in any one specific mall (compared to, say, The Galleria in Houston, Somerset Collection in Detroit or King of Prussia in Philadelphia), so there's no real critical mass of upper income consumers at any of the shopping centers.

NorthPark's owners do at least deserve credit for putting in an earnest effort to keep their vacant space occupied, unlike the management at some malls in DFW that shall remain nameless. Ultimately, beggars can't be choosers.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 01 Jul 2023 20:33

I just think it goes show that NorthPark is absolutely not immune to the struggles many shopping centres are going through within recent years, unlike what some of you are trying to suggest. There’s still numerous restaurant vacancies, and none of the restaurants there now are anything exclusive (except for Joey and maybe Eataly, but compare that selection to that of the Houston Galleria, or even the Dallas one)…

And yes, it is hard to sustain an upscale mall in a city like Dallas where the luxury stores are divided up between three shopping centres. Instead of resorting to being a mid-tier mall like the Galleria I would rather the property undergo a few redevelopments to help it be able to support a high end market (think the hotels, residential, and offices the Galleria Houston has) as well as a complete second floor to accommodate more tenants that would otherwise choose to open in Highland Park or Houston for their first Texas store. Being that there’s no mixed use component to the property, of course the mall is going to struggle hard in the current state of things.

In an ideal world in my mind, Arhaus would be located on Knox and the space would be a luxury hotel like JW Marriott.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 01 Jul 2023 21:50

I don’t think NP is going downhill. There used to be a lot more typical mall stores throughout the center. Claire’s fills a void where there currently isn’t a store that caters to that sector. Perhaps they feel they’ve gotten too selective and are trying to balance things out some. I’d rather a store like Claire’s than an empty spot. Let’s all remember the days that wing of the mall had a Glamour Shots location. lol

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 01 Jul 2023 22:56

R1070 wrote:I don’t think NP is going downhill. There used to be a lot more typical mall stores throughout the center. Claire’s fills a void where there currently isn’t a store that caters to that sector. Perhaps they feel they’ve gotten too selective and are trying to balance things out some. I’d rather a store like Claire’s than an empty spot. Let’s all remember the days that wing of the mall had a Glamour Shots location. lol

I feel like them kicking out some of those low-tier mall stores has only done good things for NorthPark. I don't see what Claires brings to the centre except for bringing in a crowd that the rest of the centre doesn't really appeal to. Wouldn't this do better at Park Lane where there's an American Girl store opening that would have more overlap with the average Claires customer?
If "balancing things out some" requires becoming the next Willow Bend or Galleria then I'd rather they just... not. At least not until they finish the second floor and build more mixed-use development.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Jul 2023 23:46

Typical mall stores are fading, it's good for North Park to have the ones that are still around.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 02 Jul 2023 00:00

tamtagon wrote:Typical mall stores are fading, it's good for North Park to have the ones that are still around.

Other malls like Town East, Parks at Arlington or Stonebriar are doing well for what they are.

It's pretty interesting though that the only real upscale mall in all of Texas is in Houston's Galleria. It would be so nice if Dallas had a mall of that scale, but it doesn't seem like NorthPark will be expanding to meet that standard any time soon. I don't mention Highland Park Village because it's essentially what River Oaks District is to the Houston Galleria, although it's the stronger luxury shopping destination in our situation.

Maybe Dallas could sustain a second Dior. They have two in Houston and two in Atlanta, it would be cool if NorthPark got a location as well. Same with Louboutin, considering they operate a boutique in Nordstrom and had a very successful pop up inside of Neiman Marcus.

I just wonder why they chose Claires and not something with broader appeal like Banter.

Addison

Postby Addison » 02 Jul 2023 09:18

Proquest20 wrote:
tamtagon wrote:Typical mall stores are fading, it's good for North Park to have the ones that are still around.

Other malls like Town East, Parks at Arlington or Stonebriar are doing well for what they are.

It's pretty interesting though that the only real upscale mall in all of Texas is in Houston's Galleria. It would be so nice if Dallas had a mall of that scale, but it doesn't seem like NorthPark will be expanding to meet that standard any time soon. I don't mention Highland Park Village because it's essentially what River Oaks District is to the Houston Galleria, although it's the stronger luxury shopping destination in our situation.

Maybe Dallas could sustain a second Dior. They have two in Houston and two in Atlanta, it would be cool if NorthPark got a location as well. Same with Louboutin, considering they operate a boutique in Nordstrom and had a very successful pop up inside of Neiman Marcus.

I just wonder why they chose Claires and not something with broader appeal like Banter.

NorthPark is a family-owned + operated mall, and they're locally based.

So part of the reason they're likely not expanding is politics (Neiman Marcus wants to keep out their competitors and artificially restricting prime space to accommodate them helps), and also because they don't have the cash flows to fund construction unlike the big REITs.

But most importantly, I think the family has expressed they prefer that NorthPark keeps its more "intimate" feel.

As far as Banter, funny enough, they just opened a store in the Galleria.