H-E-B Has Finally Arrived in DFW!!!

Addison

H-E-B Has Finally Arrived in DFW!!!

Postby Addison » 26 Mar 2021 11:21

They plan to open two stores in Plano and Frisco next year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... into-d-fw/

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: H-E-B Has Finally Arrived in DFW!!!

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Mar 2021 14:04

I don't really care we have Central Market already. Lol

Addison

Postby Addison » 26 Mar 2021 14:19

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I don't really care we have Central Market already. Lol

It's not the same though.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Mar 2021 14:50

Addison wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I don't really care we have Central Market already. Lol

It's not the same though.

Meh.. close enough.

Addison

Postby Addison » 26 Mar 2021 15:00

Per the article, they also have plans to bring the Mi Tienda and Smart Shop brands to DFW.

Mi Tienda currently has 2 stores in Houston, and from what I hear, their performance has exceeded expectations.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Mar 2021 15:52

Southern Dallas and Tarrant counties are ripe for a full scale blanketing by HEB. Redlining and blue laws restricted growth sine the suburbs started, but one hopeful side effect is coming decades of better planned and longer lasting infrastructure improvements and dramatic population growth.

Infiltrated the affluent areas is SOP, gain foothold and still eek a profit. That'll be the foundation allowibg the brand to make a home where the poorer people currently live, and profits are a couple years after opening day.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 26 Mar 2021 16:18

Can someone post the dallas morning news article text please.. im dying to read it and don't have a member

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Mar 2021 19:27

By Catherine Leffert – Staff Writer, Dallas Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... risco.html

Texas supermarket giant H-E-B, which has dominated the southern half of Texas for decades, is moving into North Texas with two locations next fall.

The brand is launching its stores in Frisco and Plano, both slated to open in fall 2022, a Friday release said, strengthening its Dallas-Fort Worth presence which up until now has only included its subsidiary companies like Central Market.

“This is an exciting day as we share plans to expand our presence in the DFW market with the introduction of H-E-B, our flagship banner, to our growing network of stores,” said Stephen Butt, president of the Central Market division of H-E-B, in a prepared statement. “For the past 20 years, Central Market has been committed to earning customers’ trust, and H-E-B Partners will work hard to earn the confidence of the many new shoppers we look forward to serving in the Plano and Frisco communities.”

The Dallas Morning News first reported the expansion Friday.

With roots in the Hill Country of Texas, H-E-B has spread over the past 116 years through Houston, Austin, San Antonio and down into Mexico, and getting as close to Dallas as towns on the outskirts such as Weatherford, Burleson, Cleburne and Waxahachie. These new locations will mark the store’s first and second sites in close proximity to the city, with groundbreaking scheduled for this summer.

H-E-B plans to break its stores into more of the Dallas-Fort Worth area in the future, the release said, though didn’t announce any more specific plans.

The Frisco location will be at the northeast corner of Legacy Dr. and Main St. and the Plano site will be at the southwest corner of Preston Rd. and Spring Creek Parkway. The supermarket also has plans to partner with nonprofits organizations and public schools in the area, the release said, to host events and awards, which it does in its other markets as well.

It has grown to five Central Market locations in the area since it hit Dallas in 2001, with its six at the Preston Royal neighborhood reopening this summer after sustaining damager during the tornado that blew through the city in October 2019.

In December, H-E-B president of food and drug stores Scott McClelland said at a webinar discussion that Dallas-Fort Worth was on the horizon for the company. He said then the supermarket had identified some potential sites. He said Dallas is an attractive market in Texas and was on H-E-B’s radar.

"We do have sites in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that are identified, and at some point in time, provided H-E-B continues to have good success, I think you would see an H-E-B move to Dallas-Fort Worth," McClelland said in the event hosted by The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business.

The company is one of the largest privately held companies in Texas, with $32 billion in annual sales and more than 420 stores across the state and Mexico, employing more than 137,000.

H-E-B declined to comment further, saying more details would be available when it breaks ground this summer.

Addison

Postby Addison » 27 Mar 2021 19:07

tamtagon wrote:Southern Dallas and Tarrant counties are ripe for a full scale blanketing by HEB. Redlining and blue laws restricted growth sine the suburbs started, but one hopeful side effect is coming decades of better planned and longer lasting infrastructure improvements and dramatic population growth.

Infiltrated the affluent areas is SOP, gain foothold and still eek a profit. That'll be the foundation allowibg the brand to make a home where the poorer people currently live, and profits are a couple years after opening day.

Looking at the 2 initial locations on the map, what's also unique about them is that there are no other competing grocery stores nearby (H-E-B will have the intersection all to themselves). If their expansion in Houston is any sign, they should spread like wildfire over the next 5 years.

I think they will eventually need a distribution center somewhere in or NE of the Metroplex before they can really scale up though.

Addison

Postby Addison » 01 Jun 2021 19:01

H-E-B Breaks Ground on Dallas Area Stores This Week

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... this-week/

When H-E-B announced in March that it was finally building two of its name brand grocery stores in Dallas-Fort Worth, people were excited. You know what? That’s an understatement. People freaked out. The San Antonio-based grocery chain’s reasonable prices, local and Texas-branded products, and socially responsible corporate behavior inspire a potent home state pride. H-E-B is as Texas as bluebonnets, or the Alamo. As Texas as Whataburger or Dr Pepper, at least.

And yet, for years, North Texas had no H-E-B to call its own. So the reaction was understandable. Maybe you pinched yourself.

If you’re still wondering, here’s some news that will clear up the question of whether it was all a dream. H-E-B is officially breaking ground on its two area stores, one in Frisco and the other in Plano, this week. The dirt’s about to start flying, according to the company. This is really happening. (It is not yet happening in Oak Cliff, however, where H-E-B purchased land four years ago ostensibly for a Central Market that has not materialized.)

Until next fall, you’ll have to get your fix at the H-E-B in Waxahachie, or settle for Central Market. In the meantime, you can watch as construction gets underway.

The Frisco store will be at the northeast corner of Legacy Drive and Main Street, the Plano store at the southwest corner of Preston Road and Spring Creek Parkway.

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 02 Jun 2021 14:37

I wish their site plans were better. The Plano one on Preston/Spring Creek just looks like a grocery store set way too deep in the lot (the truck bays are going to be about 20 feet from the apartments behind the store), with weak connectivity to the existing, nice development to the south (including Kenny's Burgers and a Steinway Piano store) with a way too large parking lot. The Kohls redevelpment, adjacent across Preston, has a much better site plan.

Addison

Postby Addison » 02 Jun 2021 16:25

The_Overdog wrote:I wish their site plans were better. The Plano one on Preston/Spring Creek just looks like a grocery store set way too deep in the lot (the truck bays are going to be about 20 feet from the apartments behind the store), with weak connectivity to the existing, nice development to the south (including Kenny's Burgers and a Steinway Piano store) with a way too large parking lot. The Kohls redevelpment, adjacent across Preston, has a much better site plan.

Are you able to provide a link to these site plans?

I haven't seen them myself (only the construction bid listing for the store in Plano).

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 03 Jun 2021 09:15

I'll see if I can find it - it was actually approved several years ago.

Addison

Postby Addison » 08 Jun 2021 16:15

H-E-B has confirmed third store is coming to McKinney at Custer and Eldorado in 2023

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/new ... c9040c9ff7

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 05 Aug 2021 13:26

Drove by the Plano site the other day

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 05 Aug 2021 13:33

Plano

Frisco

Addison

Postby Addison » 05 Aug 2021 13:47

maconahey wrote:Drove by the Plano site the other day

I also drove by there last Saturday.

I'm surprised they haven't put "Coming Soon" signage up.

Addison

Postby Addison » 05 Aug 2021 13:55

Also, I've been thinking...

I know H-E-B owns property in Buckner Terrance and DeSoto, while the other land they own in Dallas is destined for Central Market. But I'm not sure where there would be enough buildable land in Dallas proper (at least on the north side) for the huge store sizes H-E-B tend to have.

A couple possibilities are:

*Preston Road south Belt Line Road in Far North Dallas (next to TJ Maxx).

*Coit Road south of Frankford Road in Far North Dallas (next to PetSmart). This one however have the issue of being right down the street from a Central Market as well as right next door to a Super Target (not sure H-E-B wants to cannibalize their own store and compete directly with Target...).

Brettoj

Postby Brettoj » 05 Aug 2021 14:14

It would be cool to see them in a mixed use at Dallas Midtown area, Central location, Highway access and not too close to any Central Markets.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 05 Aug 2021 14:31

The Canyon development in North Oak Cliff would be a great location and was designed with big box retail in mind. That development seemed to pause after the first small phase (Olive Garden, Buffalo WW, Residence Inn).

This site has plenty of land for their large format stores, Interstate 30 frontage with high visibility, and can pull from the increasingly affluent and growing West Dallas and North Oak Cliff neighborhoods. It could even pull from Downtown/Uptown which aren't really that far away.

It's also far enough from the Oak Cliff Central Market site to avoid overlap.

Addison

Postby Addison » 05 Aug 2021 16:19

On a somewhat related note, the Albertson's that was on Frankford & DNT is being "renovated" and converted to a Tom Thumb.

In effect, I believe that leaves the stores in Carrollton and Richardson as the only Albertson's locations on the Dallas side of the Metroplex, and Dallas proper without an Albertson's for the first time in probably 30 years.

However, this now means Far North Dallas and Addison is a citadel of crappy Tom Thumb & Kroger stores, at least until H-E-B comes.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 05 Aug 2021 16:52

Addison wrote:On a somewhat related note, the Albertson's that was on Frankford & DNT is being "renovated" and converted to a Tom Thumb.

In effect, I believe that leaves the stores in Carrollton and Richardson as the only Albertson's locations on the Dallas side of the Metroplex, and Dallas proper without an Albertson's for the first time in probably 30 years.

However, this now means Far North Dallas and Addison is a citadel of crappy Tom Thumb & Kroger stores, at least until H-E-B comes.

The last time I was over by Casa Linda, there was still an Albertsons over there.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 05 Aug 2021 17:03

Addison wrote:Also, I've been thinking...

I know H-E-B owns property in Buckner Terrance and DeSoto, while the other land they own in Dallas is destined for Central Market. But I'm not sure where there would be enough buildable land in Dallas proper (at least on the north side) for the huge store sizes H-E-B tend to have.

I would think that land would be too close to the White Rock Creek bottom, and also might not be enough land.

*Coit Road south of Frankford Road in Far North Dallas (next to PetSmart). This one however have the issue of being right down the street from a Central Market as well as right next door to a Super Target (not sure H-E-B wants to cannibalize their own store and compete directly with Target...).

Too close to Central Market, the Target might be an issue, and the neighborhood around the corner on McCallum might not be to their liking demographically.

One spot I thought of, is the ex-Albertsons/ex-Sun Fresh at Ferndale/NW Highway.

Wherever else they go, we know they will be slow and methodical about the process.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 05 Aug 2021 18:14

itsjrd1964 wrote:Too close to Central Market, the Target might be an issue, and the neighborhood around the corner on McCallum might not be to their liking demographically.

I keep hearing this about HEB, that they are targeting only affluent areas. And it may seem that way since their first stores are going to be in the far northern suburbs. But HEB's bread and butter base is South Texas, which is for the most part not an affluent area (minus some pockets in San Antonio). The Rio Grande Valley is absolutely filled with them. They are also big in Northern Mexico. I don't have any demographic data on their customer base, but I would bet that it leans heavily Hispanic. That is why their "richies only" strategy in DFW is puzzling.

Addison

Postby Addison » 05 Aug 2021 18:16

Matt777 wrote:
itsjrd1964 wrote:Too close to Central Market, the Target might be an issue, and the neighborhood around the corner on McCallum might not be to their liking demographically.

I keep hearing this about HEB, that they are targeting only affluent areas. And it may seem that way since their first stores are going to be in the far northern suburbs. But HEB's bread and butter base is South Texas, which is for the most part not an affluent area (minus some pockets in San Antonio). The Rio Grande Valley is absolutely filled with them. They are also big in Northern Mexico. I don't have any demographic data on their customer base, but I would bet that it leans heavily Hispanic. That is why their "richies only" strategy in DFW is puzzling.

Besides all of that, they confirmed a Central Market is planned for Oak Cliff, and that's not exactly Beverly Hills.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 05 Aug 2021 20:56

Addison wrote:
Matt777 wrote:

Besides all of that, they confirmed a Central Market is planned for Oak Cliff, and that's not exactly Beverly Hills.

Maybe not yet, but HEB seems to be waiting until it is before they build.

AMA

Postby AMA » 16 Aug 2021 18:01

Addison wrote:They plan to open two stores in Plano and Frisco next year.

HEB has already been in DFW for nearly two decades. There's an HEB in Waxahachie.

Addison

Postby Addison » 16 Aug 2021 18:49

AMA wrote:
Addison wrote:They plan to open two stores in Plano and Frisco next year.

HEB has already been in DFW for nearly two decades. There's an HEB in Waxahachie.

Not according to H-E-B's own press release.

https://newsroom.heb.com/h-e-b-announce ... metroplex/

H-E-B is excited to announce plans to bring its flagship H-E-B brand stores to the DFW Metroplex next year...

And to be honest, while Waxahachie may technically be included in the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Metropolitan Statistical Area, it's typically not where people have in mind when referring to the DFW Metroplex.

Addison

Postby Addison » 21 Sep 2021 19:53

itsjrd1964 wrote:
Addison wrote:Also, I've been thinking...

I would think that land would be too close to the White Rock Creek bottom, and also might not be enough land.

Too close to Central Market, the Target might be an issue, and the neighborhood around the corner on McCallum might not be to their liking demographically.

One spot I thought of, is the ex-Albertsons/ex-Sun Fresh at Ferndale/NW Highway.

Wherever else they go, we know they will be slow and methodical about the process.

About the Preston / Belt Line parcel of land, I looked it up on the DCAD property map and it totals 37 acres (plus it's already zoned commercial-retail). For perspective, the land H-E-B just acquired in Forney is only 18 acres.

So they may have to get a bit creative for street frontage and parking due to the T.J. Maxx plaza along Preston, but even with the creek, I can't imagine why that wouldn't be more than enough room for regular-sized H-E-B, or even a H-E-B plus.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Oct 2021 15:10

The DMN shows/tells where the H-E-B store action and unbuilt real estate are in north TX.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... rth-texas/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 05 Jan 2022 16:13

H-E-B buys a vacant supermarket in southern Dallas
Over the years, the lack of supermarkets in southern Dallas County has been a constant topic at city hall.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... rn-dallas/

H-E-B has purchased a building on West Wheatland Road in southern Dallas and near neighborhoods in Duncanville and DeSoto.

The 58,940-square-foot supermarket at 4101 W. Wheatland Road was built for Albertsons and opened in 1985. It operated as an Albertsons until 2004 and has been vacant for years.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Jan 2022 08:56

Sounds like a purchase for one of their budget brands. There just isn't the land for a full blown HEB on this site plus the income level isn't there target area. DMN is so trigger happy on HEB purchases now cause I assume it gets clicks.

A friend visited a newer store down in San Antonio over the holiday and told me about how in the middle of the store they had "boutique" shopping experience's. Kind of like how JcPennys did those mini stores inside their stores. He also said they built the store with outward facing retailers built into the side of the main store. So instead of having just big concrete tilt walls they designed the store to allow other smaller stores to take up space just like a normal shopping center. Which just reminds me of how Malls have done it in places like Firewheel when big box stores have a small façade for the entrance and smaller stores line the sidewalk making it less like a large wasteland between the big store and the smaller brands. Can you tell I have only been to one HEB in my life.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 Jan 2022 10:03

Be nice to see some interest from HEB in this area. Close to the medical district and RedBird redevelopment, maybe it's a sign of more confidence in this area. Hope so.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Feb 2022 09:41

Hopefully (almost certainly) HEB will become a familiar part of the supermarket shopping centers leading the conversion of prairie to suburban neighborhoods across the northern part of the population center. It'll be an easy task for such a popular and will known brand to capture their share of the growing market. But until the same rate of population growth finally comes to the Southern flank of the city, HEB will have to move more cautiously.

What I'm really hoping for is the urban HEB to get into Dallas and Fort Worth simultaneously. Perhaps what's been learned in Houston (first 'urban' HEB just a couple years ago) will allow the DFW brand expansion to start sooner. I bet Bass Family, Inc would like that for their Fort Worth Fortress.... but there's pretty much a constant array of a dozen projects in the greater downtown Dallas area that could include an urban HEB.

zaphod

Postby zaphod » 21 Mar 2022 20:13

I'd like to see some of these make it over to Fort Worth but knowing how things are that could be a while :/

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 21 Mar 2022 20:35

Also waiting for one in the East Dallas area..

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Mar 2022 19:34

potatocoins wrote:Also waiting for one in the East Dallas area..

Oof.. one off Ferguson would do gang busters sales..

R1070

Postby R1070 » 24 Mar 2022 20:00

I wonder if HEB will put a store on Lemmon Avenue across from Taco Cabana where they have already torn down some structures for the previously planned "Central Market/Apartments" that never was built?

Addison

Postby Addison » 25 Mar 2022 22:25

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Sounds like a purchase for one of their budget brands. There just isn't the land for a full blown HEB on this site plus the income level isn't there target area. DMN is so trigger happy on HEB purchases now cause I assume it gets clicks.

A friend visited a newer store down in San Antonio over the holiday and told me about how in the middle of the store they had "boutique" shopping experience's. Kind of like how JcPennys did those mini stores inside their stores. He also said they built the store with outward facing retailers built into the side of the main store. So instead of having just big concrete tilt walls they designed the store to allow other smaller stores to take up space just like a normal shopping center. Which just reminds me of how Malls have done it in places like Firewheel when big box stores have a small façade for the entrance and smaller stores line the sidewalk making it less like a large wasteland between the big store and the smaller brands. Can you tell I have only been to one HEB in my life.

FWIW, H-E-B does have (newly renovated) flagship stores the size of the old Albertson's RedBird, although they're on the small end compared to most locations. See the location in Texas City for example.

Also, the construction RFP specifically says "HEB Grocery," which was the title also used in the construction RFPs for the flagship stores going up in Plano, Frisco, McKinney and Forney. They use different titles (for example, "HEB Central Market") in their construction RFPs for other marquees.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Mar 2022 14:41

I will believe it when I see it and will gladly welcome that I am wrong. I would more than love for South Dallas to get some sort of HEB that's not Central Market. South Dallas deserves more options. I know so many people who are looking at renovated homes to buy there but they largely feel like good grocery options are north of the river or out in the burbs.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Addison

Postby Addison » 02 Apr 2022 17:47

Not sure what the outcome was, but a Special Meeting was held by the Forney City Council for the proposed H-E-B on Thursday...

https://www.inforney.com/business/counc ... 504d8.html

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Apr 2022 00:34

Addison wrote:Not sure what the outcome was, but a Special Meeting was held by the Forney City Council for the proposed H-E-B on Thursday...

https://www.inforney.com/business/counc ... 504d8.html

They really need to do something about that railroad crossing there (most likely an underpass). That is a busy UP line and traffic will really back up after that H-E-B opens.

Addison

Postby Addison » 13 Apr 2022 17:18

Looks like the H-E-B in Allen is next...

https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... il-package

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 20 Apr 2022 15:32

Some of the walls are up on the HEB store in Plano - it's HUGE! It wraps the entire corner lot and is taller than the 2 story apartment behind.

Addison

Postby Addison » 17 May 2022 13:45

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 28 Jul 2022 03:28

Current lists...

Open::::
Burleson - 165 N.W. John Jones Dr.
Cleburne - 600 W. Henderson
Corsicana - 201 S. 15th St.
Ennis - 101 S. Clay St.
Granbury - 3804 U.S. Hwy. 377
Hudson Oaks - 100 Hudson Oaks Dr.
Waxahachie - 800 Hwy. 77
(This list doesn't include H-E-B's Central Market stores.)

Coming soon / Under construction::::
Allen – E. Exchange Pkwy./N. Greenville Ave.
Forney – FM 548/FM 1641
Frisco – Legacy Dr./Main St.
McKinney – Custer Rd./Eldorado Pkwy.
Plano – Spring Creek Pkwy./Preston Rd.
Prosper – Frontier Pkwy./Dallas N. Tollway
Rockwall – I-30/John King Blvd.

Other H-E-B area land holdings::::
Dallas -
632 N. Beckley
3927 Bowser
5204 S. Buckner Blvd.
4101 W. Wheatland Rd.

Denton -
2210 W. University Dr.

DeSoto -
845 Interstate-35E

Fort Worth -
6325 W. Bailey Boswell Rd.
200 E. Bonds Ranch Rd.
6599 McCart Ave.
8600 Quail Valley Dr.

Frisco -
9200 Legacy Dr.

Mansfield -
1660 E. Broad St.

Murphy -
700 FM 544

https://www.kens5.com/article/life/food ... =kensshare

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Jul 2022 20:36

Did HEB sell the land they had in Dallas at Lemmon and Throckmorton or is that the Bowser property?

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 29 Jul 2022 08:51

R1070 wrote:Did HEB sell the land they had in Dallas at Lemmon and Throckmorton or is that the Bowser property?

It's the Bowser address. DCAD's property map shows HEB as the owner of every parcel on that block.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 02 Aug 2022 23:52

Wonder what they'd even build on the Bowser property based on the size and the fact that's right in the heart of Turtle Creek.

Aside from that, they better start on the Beckley store ASAP or I'm gonna get really mad. Location is great being right off of the Dallas Streetcar line. Here's to hoping they do something a little more urban/walkable/pedestrian-oriented with that one. And soon.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 03 Aug 2022 10:23

undefinedprocess wrote:Aside from that, they better start on the Beckley store ASAP or I'm gonna get really mad.

My guess is that you are gonna get really mad. Would love to be wrong, but I think they are waiting for a lot more gentrification before starting on this one.