Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

DFW Economy

cowboyeagle05

Re: DFW Economy

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Mar 2020 10:46

Al Biernat's a fancy sit down restaurant in Oak Lawn sent their staff to various apartment buildings in the Oak Lawn, Knox Henderson and Lemmon Ave areas to let them know they are offering free delivery and a full menu from 11:30 am till 8:30 pm. Many places are offering delivery just by sending waiters or other staff to do the delivery's to try to get some business. The pseudo good thing is the food supply is still good because with restaurants and bars shut down grocery sales are taking the bulk of food purchasing. I still havent been back to the store since Saturday morning. Every morning when I go to work the Kroger on Cedar Springs parking lot is packed with every parking spot taken.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 18 Mar 2020 12:18

I've only been to 1 store since this all started, a Walmart in Plano (Monday morning, 3-16). I didn't get a good look at general merchandise, mainly grocery. There were no paper towels, Kleenex, or toilet tissue. Much of the rest of grocery looked like the day after Christmas. Very spotty. Frozen food here and there. Lunch meat almost completely gone. Not much better in cheeses. All bottled water empty except the old-school gallon distilled water, and there wasn't much of those. At least there weren't crazy Cabbage-Patch crowds there fighting over stuff. There were more than the average amount of store employees trying to restock, but you could tell they were very tired and weary from all the grab-it-all-while-you-can's having been in the store.

Meanwhile, earlier that morning, I tried ordering from Kroger. Usually I can get stuff within a couple of hours, the same morning or afternoon. When the delivery time choices came up, the soonest they could deliver was Wednesday (3-18, as in today) afternoon. I have since gotten a text saying it will be even later this afternoon before they can get everything together and delivered. While online, I noticed that Kroger and other retailers were out of several items, while other items might be in stock at the store but they couldn't be sure--I'd have to go to the store to see about quantity myself. I don't think I've ever seen the online version of retail this wacky and wild-wild-west before, but I guess it would be kind of difficult for an IT person or those in charge of SKUs to keep on top of things when they can't keep quantity in the store for very long.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 19 Mar 2020 18:31

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Mar 2020 19:59

Thanks CT, I actually just got through watching it. I've been off for 2 days but had an email from the GM wanting me to do some filing when I get to work tonight, so I must still have my job. I've tried to get a hold of my landlord to see what she would do in the event I might lose my job or get furloughed, but I haven't heard back from her. I haven't spent nearly as much on groceries in the meantime, as quantities out there are so spotty. Thanks again CT for thinking of me.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 19 Mar 2020 23:33

My asst. GM told me when I got to work, that several hotels will have to close, including the Renaissance at the Market Center. The company furloughs reported this week will include property-level employees at various hotels. Again, I was assured that I still have my position for now.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Mar 2020 05:55

I work at a food bank serving 60-70 families a day. Usually, more than half of the food we give out has been donated by several local grocery stores as they rotate meat, produce, bakery product and some dry goods. This week our deliveries have been about a third of what's typical. Hopefully the panic buying and hording is mostly over and the grocery stores product churn will be back to normal.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 20 Mar 2020 09:22

Well, I spoke too soon. My GM relieved me this morning, and gave me 2 options. Either a full temporary layoff, or a cutback to 24 hours (3 nights)/week. I've gotta call the Workforce office and see which of these is the better deal. In either case, IDK what I'll have left after rent/bills/DART (if I have enough left). If I take the full layoff, I will get a week's "disaster pay" from the company (which will come the first week of next month), besides what unemployment I'll get. The company thinks the situation might last just over a month, but my GM thinks it'll be more like 60-90 days. I'm not sure why the asst. GM wasn't on the same page with me as the GM, I'm more than a bit surprised. In either scenario, I am assured of my full-time hours and same pay, *when* things get better again. At least they haven't pulled the whole rug out from under me (I guess)....

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Mar 2020 09:31

It's gonna take a while to truly restock shelves cause a friend of mine stopped by Kroger last night and still things like meat and of course toiletries are still empty shelves. Pasta sauce and pasta is come and go. If you want junk food though that seems to be in plenty at the Kroger on Cedar Springs but produce has been mostly empty as well. Keeping in mind the Cedar Springs Kroger is apparently in the top 10 of Krogers stores for sales at any normal time of year so I suspect its customer base hits hard already even without Karen's United back stocking toilet paper like they are crossing the Serengeti.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 23 Mar 2020 13:59

itsjrd1964 wrote:Well, I spoke too soon. My GM relieved me this morning, and gave me 2 options. Either a full temporary layoff, or a cutback to 24 hours (3 nights)/week. I've gotta call the Workforce office and see which of these is the better deal. In either case, IDK what I'll have left after rent/bills/DART (if I have enough left). If I take the full layoff, I will get a week's "disaster pay" from the company (which will come the first week of next month), besides what unemployment I'll get. The company thinks the situation might last just over a month, but my GM thinks it'll be more like 60-90 days. I'm not sure why the asst. GM wasn't on the same page with me as the GM, I'm more than a bit surprised. In either scenario, I am assured of my full-time hours and same pay, *when* things get better again. At least they haven't pulled the whole rug out from under me (I guess)....

Sorry to hear that man. Hope this is all resolved soon. Stay healthy everyone.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Mar 2020 19:52

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It's gonna take a while to truly restock shelves cause a friend of mine stopped by Kroger last night and still things like meat and of course toiletries are still empty shelves. Pasta sauce and pasta is come and go. If you want junk food though that seems to be in plenty at the Kroger on Cedar Springs but produce has been mostly empty as well. Keeping in mind the Cedar Springs Kroger is apparently in the top 10 of Krogers stores for sales at any normal time of year so I suspect its customer base hits hard already even without Karen's United back stocking toilet paper like they are crossing the Serengeti.

Tom thumb Victor park had everything. Meat , produce , poultry. As of 7 pm 3/23

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Mar 2020 09:11

Yeah, some stores are finally starting to catch up even Cedar Springs Kroger had chicken breast, some bread, pasta sauce, eggs, milk, flour and sugar as of yesterday morning 3/23/20.

muncien

Postby muncien » 24 Mar 2020 12:50

What's everyone's take on Collin county issuing a 'shelter in place' except of 'essential' workers, than saying all workers are essential? Assuming both counties stay the course for a few weeks, it'll be interesting to see how this all turns out.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Mar 2020 14:25

Yeah, some people are getting official letters from Dallas County that they can show that they are working an approved essential job and others are afraid they will get arrested and their car impounded if they don't have a letter. I am in an essential job according to my employer so I am still going to work but they haven't issued any documents to prove that. I basically work locked away all day answered emails and phone calls.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 25 Mar 2020 04:28

My employer issued us all letters. I get to work at night before any curfew gets going, but it's good to have something from my bosses to at least try to cover my arse.

The occupancy at my hotel has gotten to 20-25% and held for now. Our companion hotel next door has only had 4 or 5 guests and may have to close. Another competing property nearby is said to be closing next week; it's only a year or so old.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 26 Mar 2020 03:11

Looks like its starting.

Headington Companies Lays Off Hundreds of Employees Across Its Dallas Operations
In shuttering more than a dozen concepts, billionaire Tim Headington’s company reduces its staff, from fitness instructors at Vital to bartenders at Midnight Rambler.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... perations/

In these hard COVID-19 times, closures of bars and restaurants around Dallas are coming fast and furious. But this closure has its own sad tale: Punch Bowl Social, the restaurant and game chain that opened in Deep Ellum in June 2019, has shuttered possibly not just on a temporary basis, but for good.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... nL34Ahb_vA

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 26 Mar 2020 12:33

quixomniac wrote:Looks like its starting.

In these hard COVID-19 times, closures of bars and restaurants around Dallas are coming fast and furious. But this closure has its own sad tale: Punch Bowl Social, the restaurant and game chain that opened in Deep Ellum in June 2019, has shuttered possibly not just on a temporary basis, but for good.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... nL34Ahb_vA

Punch bowl was doomed regardless of COVID imo. They massively overbuilt their space in an already deeply crowded market.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 26 Mar 2020 19:09

Note that this closure had nothing to do with this particular location (which was usually packed). The entire chain went belly up.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Mar 2020 13:48

Yeah, the few times I was here it was very busy with parties and just casual customers in smaller groups. I personally like big spaces for going out but was never a big fan of how they arranged the space. I am a relic in that I still prefer more of a club atmosphere over that of a giant adult version of Chuckie cheese.

Both this place and Headington Co both were having massive cash flow issues at the administrative level. The Covid crisis just sealed the coffin for companies that were already riding a boat with holes and no life raft.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 30 Mar 2020 20:23

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Yeah, the few times I was here it was very busy with parties and just casual customers in smaller groups. I personally like big spaces for going out but was never a big fan of how they arranged the space. I am a relic in that I still prefer more of a club atmosphere over that of a giant adult version of Chuckie cheese.

Both this place and Headington Co both were having massive cash flow issues at the administrative level. The Covid crisis just sealed the coffin for companies that were already riding a boat with holes and no life raft.

That will have a devastating affect on downtown if any of Headington’s establishments go under, considering he owns most of Main Street, and that corridor is probably the most vibrant part of downtown. It will definitely be a major setback for downtown. There have been rumors and stories of potential closures.