Elon Musk to build high-speed rail between O’Hare and downtown Chicago.

DPatel304

Elon Musk to build high-speed rail between O’Hare and downtown Chicago.

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jun 2018 16:21

Musk’s plan proposes a 16-passenger autonomous vehicle that can whip passengers at speeds up to 100 MPH through tunnels between the airport and downtown. The final route of the new transit system is still being finalized, but Musk estimates that these vehicles could transport passengers downtown in only 12 minutes — a dramatic decrease from the usual 30- to 40-minute taxi ride — and for just $20-$25.

Officials from the city and Boring have stated that it’s too soon to estimate a timeframe or final cost for this project, but have stated that Boring will be fronting the bill.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/14/elon- ... e=tcfbpage

I don't really keep up with development outside of Texas, so this comes as a pretty big surprise for me. Good for Chicago though, this sounds like a very cool project, and I'm looking forward to watching it progress.

muncien

Re: Elon Musk to build high-speed rail between O’Hare and downtown Chicago.

Postby muncien » 15 Jun 2018 09:26

DPatel304 wrote:
Musk’s plan proposes a 16-passenger autonomous vehicle that can whip passengers at speeds up to 100 MPH through tunnels between the airport and downtown. The final route of the new transit system is still being finalized, but Musk estimates that these vehicles could transport passengers downtown in only 12 minutes — a dramatic decrease from the usual 30- to 40-minute taxi ride — and for just $20-$25.

Officials from the city and Boring have stated that it’s too soon to estimate a timeframe or final cost for this project, but have stated that Boring will be fronting the bill.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/14/elon- ... e=tcfbpage

I don't really keep up with development outside of Texas, so this comes as a pretty big surprise for me. Good for Chicago though, this sounds like a very cool project, and I'm looking forward to watching it progress.

I actually love the scale of the Boring tunnels. If you don't have the density of a NYC, it's not economical (not even close) to build tunneled transportation using conventional methods. But these smaller tunnels are WAAAAY cheaper, and can handle many more smaller vehicles at faster intervals. I'm quite interested in seeing how this evolves, and I wouldn't be surprised to see competing companies pop up in the next few years. As it stands now, Boring has all the potential to themselves.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."