Frisco: National Soccer Hall of Fame

jrd1964

Frisco: National Soccer Hall of Fame

Postby jrd1964 » 13 Dec 2017 11:24

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... occer.html

Another addition to Frisco... by October of next year, as part of additions and renovations at Toyota Stadium, a new hall of fame for soccer will be located at the stadium.

(video included with linkie)

exelone31

Re: Frisco: National Soccer Hall of Fame

Postby exelone31 » 13 Dec 2017 12:21

I'm curious what kind of draw this will be. FC Dallas' struggles with attendance are fairly well documented, so I am hoping that this will provide some kind of jump in interest.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Dec 2017 16:49

This is lame. The hall of fame should be in Columbus. There's no history for the sport in Frisco. This should go somewhere where the community has a passion for the game. Of all the places in the USA, where this could've gone ....IT'S NOT FRISCO,TX.

Add this to the list things, that will have no effect for gaining support for the club.

I wish the US federation took that into consideration before blessing the site.

Austin55

Postby Austin55 » 14 Dec 2017 17:22

[quote="Tivo_Kenevil"]This is lame. The hall of fame should be in Columbus. There's no history for the sport in Frisco. This should go somewhere where the community has a passion for the game. Of all the places in the USA, where this could've gone ....IT'S NOT FRISCO,TX. /quote]

Sort of deligitimizes the HoF to locate in such an insignificant location. Not like soccer has had struggles being a legitimate sport in the US anyway...

Not a good look.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 14 Dec 2017 18:01

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:This is lame. The hall of fame should be in Columbus. There's no history for the sport in Frisco. This should go somewhere where the community has a passion for the game. Of all the places in the USA, where this could've gone ....IT'S NOT FRISCO,TX.

Columbus may be passionate about their soccer team, but the management of the soccer team is not passionate about Columbus. The owner of Columbus Crew is very vocally trying to move to Austin. Would not be a good look and be visited even less if they decided to build it in a city that is about to lose its own team.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Dec 2017 18:55

flyswatter wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:This is lame. The hall of fame should be in Columbus. There's no history for the sport in Frisco. This should go somewhere where the community has a passion for the game. Of all the places in the USA, where this could've gone ....IT'S NOT FRISCO,TX.

Columbus may be passionate about their soccer team, but the management of the soccer team is not passionate about Columbus. The owner of Columbus Crew is very vocally trying to move to Austin. Would not be a good look and be visited even less if they decided to build it in a city that is about to lose its own team.

MLS would be hurting themselves if they allowed an an original franchise, w/ a loyal fan base, just to move cities because MGMT wants a free stadium from the city. A league with no history abolishing the little history they have. "SAD!"

But that's irrelevant. Columbus has served as the home field for the USMNT for decades now. Even if MLS screws Columbus and the Crew relocate, Columbus will always be the home of the Stars and Stripes.

Give the community something to hold on to if you want to take their team away. Columbus has done a helluva alot more for the game in America than Frisco ever will. Give me a break. There's Zero context in this HoF location. FAIL!

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 15 Dec 2017 08:20

Nobody cares about Columbus.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 15 Dec 2017 08:28

One argument that could be made in favor of Frisco (but more so Dallas) is the presence of the Dallas Cup. While that isn't necessarily aligned with senior team level soccer, it is a pretty prestigious tournament. The fact that the final is now played up in Frisco may be a nice tie-in, but I will admit I'm reaching a bit.

I hope this turns out to be a success, but have my doubts. It also looks really small for a Hall of Fame, considering much of the space I've seen is taken up by the Hall of Fame Club Level.