USL Super League team

IcedCowboyCoffee

USL Super League team

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 11 Feb 2024 16:00

With the announcement of the USL Super League receiving Division 1 sanctioning, USL reaffirmed that a Dallas-Fort Worth team would be participating in the inaugural season starting in August this year. No announcement on the team name/branding yet.

https://www.uslsuperleague.com/

This was one of the leagues that had been intended to be homed in the stadium Fort Worth was hoping to build but which never materialized.
Of course a new stadium won't be getting built by August, so they'll undoubtedly be leasing an existing stadium. My initial guess was Choctaw stadium where North Texas SC currently plays, but local soccer guy Peter Welpton has been hearing rumors that they might be housed in a stadium within Dallas proper. Not sure what stadium that could be, but maybe a high school stadium somewhere? Can't imagine they would be using SMU's stadium during the football season, and using the Cotton Bowl would be excessive, but I'm sure we'll hear more soon.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Re: USL Super League team

Postby CTroyMathis » 02 Mar 2024 11:21

Well, perhaps if it is actually within Dallas (and, I'll throw in HP) - SMU does have the Washburne Stadium. Not sure how many people the new league is hoping for in attendance. Don't want a field with no stands or another with not enough opportunity for attendance with only a marginal amount of stands. Certainly the price will be important, which might make the rather available Cotton Bowl out of reach with the abundance of attendance opportunity and all the overhead of that facility. Perhaps the Lake Highland's stadium or the DISD field at Kimball? There are other options w/in Dallas, just brainstorming real quick. I imagine a deal and some scheduling coordination could be made over at Choctaw, though.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 11 Mar 2024 12:24

Meanwhile, US Women's National Team just won the CONCACAF W Gold Cup last night. Big congrats to them!

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 12 Mar 2024 09:16

CTroyMathis wrote:Meanwhile, US Women's National Team just won the CONCACAF W Gold Cup last night. Big congrats to them!

And the team has a hugely talented local player, Jaedyn Shaw from Frisco, who was critical in winning the tournament! I would not be surprised if she is helping to lead the team in the next world cup.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 12 Mar 2024 12:54

Geez, Shaw is totally deserving of earning the MVP in the W Gold Cup.