Fort Worth: proposed United Soccer League stadium

IcedCowboyCoffee

Fort Worth: proposed United Soccer League stadium

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 20 May 2022 13:22

Not new news to many here, but I thought I would give it a dedicated thread.

On May 10th, funding for a conceptual design and cost estimate was approved for a stadium the city of Fort Worth hopes to build on vacant land near Basswood Blvd and I-35W that will be shared between Keller ISD, a USL Super League team, and a USL Championship team.
ftworth1.jpg

The Fort Worth Sports Authority board is appointed by City Council. Its members, who act on behalf of the city, have taken the lead on studying the stadium project.
The board voted May 10 to contract with architectural firm Gensler to develop the conceptual design and cost estimates. Also part of the vote was approval to contract with civil engineering firm Dunaway to work with Gensler on estimated infrastructure expenses.

Fort Worth studies feasibility of multiuse stadium with Keller ISD, other partners - Community Impact

For those unfamiliar, the USL Super League is a brand new Division-II women's soccer league expected to start next year and the USL Championship is a Division-II men's soccer league.
Major League Soccer is a Division-I league (our FC Dallas team's league). We also have an MLS Next Pro team (a Division-III league): North Texas SC who play at the former Texas Rangers ballpark.

I'm really hoping this gets built and DFW continues growing its soccer community. Ironically this Fort Worth stadium will be just about as far away from downtown Dallas as FC Dallas's stadium is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Re: Fort Worth: proposed United Soccer League stadium

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 18 Jul 2023 13:55

Project is likely dead. Figured I'd share here what was passed down the grapevine a couple months ago:

usl1.JPG

https://twitter.com/3rdDegreeNet/status/1658503753744408579?s=20
Short update on Bold (USL-C) move to Ft Worth.

Stadium deal is dead after election loss by it's champion.

Donnie Co. still holds rights to the franchise (he pays a fee each year).

At this point it probably has to be privavlty financed. That's not real likely.

usl2.JPG

https://www.reddit.com/r/USLPRO/comments/13k8ovo/comment/jkk1lpy/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Some inside baseball for the people:

Fort Worth City/Keller ISD stadium hinged on last year and this year's city council elections, and for Keller ISD to agree to move forward, for funding. All 3 things went against it.

Alternative sites in Fort Worth area (Farrington Field, La Grave Field) require millions to get up to code.

Desire remains to launch somewhere in DFW outside of Arlington and Frisco in particular.

Franchise owner has ties to TX United in USL-2, likely consolidating into single organization

Group has connections to high school football venues, which (because this is Texas, y'all) are more comparable to NCAA D-2 football (10-20k seats, broadcast facilities, etc) but will likely run into a similar issue as OKC Energy did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.